Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Kevan Broadhurst

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
geoff skillet
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:37 am

ok. crossed post.

there's no doubt that this is first and foremost a Save Us appointment though.

ucow

so an interim manager til the summer when we wil re-asses the situation! at least this could be a good thing as it gives bonser more time to get a manager in and gives broadhurst a chance to stake a claim for the job perminantly

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Giza wrote:Mind you we were like this when Graydon was appointed

Graydon was unknown as a manager.

Broadhurst isn't. He's done ok to save clubs then has failed miserably.

Sorry we needed someone to inspire the fans and put bums back on seats to help keep us up.

We truly have become a bottom division club once again.

My thoughts exactly, we have become a League Two club once more, this appointment is a big step backwards, I hope he does well, but with his record so far I can't see it!

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:38 am

Bristol Fan wrote:
shrewsbury saddler wrote:What happened at Bristol Rovers for him to go so quickly?he had won half the games.

He was only caretaker

And will be again, if it's only to the end of the season.
Bonser must be retiring or something.

This is a terrible appointment and guarantees relegation IMHO.

geoff skillet
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:39 am

top post Ian Gittins.

totally agree.

YEEEESSSSSS!!!!!! The Merson Era is now Well and Truly Over :!:.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Jesus, I'm not bowled over but got to give him a chance, you never know

I'll decide on the season ticket for next year after the rest of this season

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Got to give the bloke a chance really, i'll back him.

What is Bonsers game though? , here was a chance to bring someone in to begin the rebuilding process for the club. Instead, what do we have? , a short term solution again!. Looks like JB may already planning for relegation. Boston here we come.... pathetic.

toffo
UTS Regular

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:40 am

Just seen his record as posted on here and its a shocker ........oh well at least hes managed in the 4th division before.

Giza

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:41 am

I bet Kevin Wilson will be here too this week as Assistant.

Kevthesaddler

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:41 am

give him a chance, WBA fans were dissapointed when Robson was appointed and look at the fantastic job hes done. As were wolves with Jones, southampton with Stacken, us with Lee, watford with botheroyd.

Cant believe some of our fans sometimes, you lot do my head in!

It might be the wrong appointment but it might also be the right appointment, only time will tell. I really hop he suceeds, not only because it will benefit walsall but it will shut you dick heads up

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:42 am

Hes bound to be a disaster his name isnt even spelt right!! :wink:

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:44 am

Kevthesaddler wrote:give him a chance, WBA fans were dissapointed when Robson was appointed and look at the fantastic job hes done. As were wolves with Jones, southampton with Stacken, us with Lee, watford with botheroyd.

It might be the wrong appointment but it might also be the right appointment, only time will tell. I really hop he suceeds, not only because it will benefit walsall but it will shut you dick heads up

Robson HAD success with Boro.
Jones HAD success with Southampton
Lee HAD success at Wolves.
Boothroyd HAD success with the youth team at WBA
Broadhurst has HAD NO success at Bristol Rovers or Northampton :? :shock:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:46 am

You know what I'm most annoyed about? We've now got a manager who's first name with piss me right off.

What the F*ck is KevAn?

clacka10

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:47 am

he f****d northampton up no good bonser as taken the cheap option again why does he gamble with our beloved club why lost 4 season tickets for next year.there is one thing he cant **** walsall up merson and bonser have done a good job already

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

philthesaddler wrote:You know what I'm most annoyed about? We've now got a manager who's first name with piss me right off.

What the F*ck is KevAn?

exactly what I said Phil :lol: I was rightly named Kevin!!!

myleftknee
UTS Veteran

You bunch call yourself Walsall fans? Know one knew Graydon but look what he did for the club. Must admit I'm not over joyed but we have a new manager, let's give him the chance. He has only been appointed until the end of the season according to WM. This article made interesting reading.

http://freespace.virgin.net/robert.dunk ... broads.htm

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:48 am

wfc_2uk wrote:
Kevthesaddler wrote:give him a chance, WBA fans were dissapointed when Robson was appointed and look at the fantastic job hes done. As were wolves with Jones, southampton with Stacken, us with Lee, watford with botheroyd.

"...and who the hell is Ray Graydon???" <<< As said by every Walsall Fan upon his appointment.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:48 am

Ian Gittins wrote:Jesus. Walsall fans at their most optimistic, open-minded and enlightened. What is wrong with you lot? I'm not doing cartwheels of joy at this appointment either, but none of us know what Broadhurst said at his interview, what plans he has, how he will work out.

We criticised Bonser for being seduced by the cult of celebrity when he let Merson run riot for so long. When we thought he was going to appoint Platt, we criticised him for making the same mistake. Now he has appointed a not-at-all-big-name lower league manager with coaching badges, we... criticise him. What has the bloke got to do?

Yes, Broadhurst is worryingly obscure, but so was Ray Graydon. I'm not initially excited by this choice, but what I'm certainly not going to do is pre-judge and condemn. Bonser has avoided the cult of celebrity, and hasn't taken the obvious option of going back to Nicholl, Graydon or Hibbitt. So let's see how this pans out.

What he said.

ST18 Saddler

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:49 am

Looks like a possible trip to Accrington next season!

I know a player who played under him at the cobblers and he said they were!!!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:49 am

WarsawPact wrote:
Ian Gittins wrote:Jesus. Walsall fans at their most optimistic, open-minded and enlightened. What is wrong with you lot? I'm not doing cartwheels of joy at this appointment either, but none of us know what Broadhurst said at his interview, what plans he has, how he will work out.

We criticised Bonser for being seduced by the cult of celebrity when he let Merson run riot for so long. When we thought he was going to appoint Platt, we criticised him for making the same mistake. Now he has appointed a not-at-all-big-name lower league manager with coaching badges, we... criticise him. What has the bloke got to do?

Yes, Broadhurst is worryingly obscure, but so was Ray Graydon. I'm not initially excited by this choice, but what I'm certainly not going to do is pre-judge and condemn. Bonser has avoided the cult of celebrity, and hasn't taken the obvious option of going back to Nicholl, Graydon or Hibbitt. So let's see how this pans out.

What he said.

Ditto 8)

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:50 am

I'm also disappointed that this appointment is only till the end of the season.

I'm prepared to give the bloke a chance, but where is the stability that the club needs if we could very well be looking for a new manager in the summer?

To me, a 'short term' contract shows a lack of faith in the bloke from the very onset. If JB was sure that KB was the right man for the job, he should have had a minimum 18 month contract.

Instead, he has 3 months to turn around a sorry looking unbalanced squad, whilst having his chairman not have the faith in him to give him a long term contract.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:50 am

KJC wrote:
wfc_2uk wrote:

"...and who the hell is Ray Graydon???" <<< As said by every Walsall Fan upon his appointment.

Ray hadnt been in management so we couldnt judge him, this bloke has, so we are judging him on what he hasnt done elsewhere

popperpancake

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:51 am

AC wrote:
WarsawPact wrote:

What he said.

Ditto 8)

Same here

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:53 am

popperpancake wrote:
AC wrote:
WarsawPact wrote:

What he said.

Ditto 8)

I'll go with Gittins

Same here

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

UEFA A badge, knows league one like the back of his hand, has worked his way up through the ranks as a coach, is a local lad and knows what Walsall is all about, not a big 'name' manager. Isn't this everything we wanted as the complete antithesis to Merson? I can't believe he's being criticised for not being a success at Bristol Rovers! He was caretaker manager and won half his games!!! And what's this about wasting loads of money at Northampton? He spent £45k on ONE player. Throwing good money after bad I say. And his only permanent management job came entirely at this level, not in league two. Get your facts right if your going to criticise.

I'm not delighted with the appointment because I think we could have got someone better to reignite the season. However I do see the positives and I will give him a chance. Best of all, it appears to be one of Bonser's surprise appointments along the lines of Nicholl and Graydon which left most fans non-plussed. How we wish for the same success with Broadhurst in charge.

Mike T

AC wrote:
WarsawPact wrote:

What he said.

Ditto 8)

Couldn't agree more. in five years time we could be in the premiership and the same folks who constantly moan on this site will be saying sack the manager because we didn't finish in euprope!!! Jesus let's see some support fro a change

clacka10

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:55 am

broadhurst only got the job because he was the only manager interveiwed who agreed to play fat merson.You watch broadhurst will do a crap job then bonser will welcome his lover merson back as manager when we are in the basement league.

Salford_Saddler

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:56 am

all i can say is weve got to give him a chance!
hes gt a difficult game on Saturday to overcome first

UP THE SADDLERS

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:57 am

Stu wrote:I'm also disappointed that this appointment is only till the end of the season.

Exactly. It's not the appointment I'm disappointed with, it's the nature of it.

It it's temporary with view to permament why have we hesitated and wasted a few games for the new man to get started.

I am fully behind Broadhust now he is in the position but the nature of it all hasn't been the best option for the club at all.

Denmark Hill Saddler

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:57 am

Agree with Ian - knee jerk criticism as predictable as it is depressing. I know nothing about him either - let's give him a chance for God's sake.

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then