Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Transfer Rumours 2016/2017

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Re: Transfer Rumours 2016/2017

Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:39 am

https://twitter.com/JosephMasi_Star/sta ... 5714042880

Bit of interesting news. Quite excited about this as around a year ago he was highly sought after :D

Thought it was a done deal he had signed with Brizzle City after they had agreed a fee.
Hopefully will add a bit more steel to the defence as I don't feel Toner is the answer and JOC (whilst I love him) isn't going to get any better now.

Mclean to sign then get the 'mystery mantom/osbourne/cuvelier knee' and be out for 4 years :lol:

UTS

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:27 pm

Worthwhile punt!

Who was the Aussie player who signed, got injured straight away and never played again?

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:47 pm

Exile wrote:Worthwhile punt!

Who was the Aussie player who signed, got injured straight away and never played again?

Alan Picken?

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:00 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
Exile wrote:Worthwhile punt!

Alan Picken?

That's him! Thanks.

JJunior9
UTS Veteran

Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:52 pm

In terms of a wish list, if we want some experience of league one, I would love to see us go for the following players in January:

Lloyd Isgrove - a player who can get crosses in

John Mousinho - experienced, can slot in midfield or at centre half

Connor Goodson - not getting much game time at Brighton and would represent a quality loan signing

IF we still have the Rico money, it would be good to secure Laird too.

II wonder whether someone like Paul Robinson at Blues could do a job until the end of the season too? I think he might be involved in the coaching at the Blues but after Zola's appointment, he might be tempted to help with a promotion push to end his career.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:50 am

I agree that all those are players who would strengthen us and in view of JW's recent comments it looks like January is going to be interesting. More experience at the back and a good wide player would make a big difference to our team...lets hope the deals happen.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:10 pm

Think Laird will be signed full time, Toner sent back and an experience CB signed.

Really can't see much more than that which befits this season.

PT
Site Addict

Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:32 am

Couple of completely unsubstantiated rumours were doing the rounds at the ground on Saturday.

First was that we were looking at bringing Paterson back on loan.

Second was that we were also talking to Lalkovic.

I'd take the former if his attitude were right. Not the latter - he'd just block Makris and is no better in my opinion.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:30 am

PT wrote:Couple of completely unsubstantiated rumours were doing the rounds at the ground on Saturday.

First was that we were looking at bringing Paterson back on loan.

Second was that we were also talking to Lalkovic.

I'd take the former if his attitude were right. Not the latter - he'd just block Makris and is no better in my opinion.

Well so far the move to Portsmouth doesn't appear to have worked out for him.

Paterson would be a real coup in my opinion. He's a talent in this division and I believe he would put some decent performances, especially as he needs to kick start his own career.

Realistically though I don't see that loan happening. He'll end up on loan at Burton or Rotherham.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:18 pm

derbysaddler wrote: Paterson would be a real coup in my opinion. He's a talent in this division and I believe he would put some decent performances, especially as he needs to kick start his own career.

Realistically though I don't see that loan happening. He'll end up on loan at Burton or Rotherham.

That is what I thought originally when I heard the Paterson rumour a few days ago but the more I thought about it the more him coming to us made sense. Why would Bristol City want to loan Paterson to their rivals in the league like Burton and Rotherham? He would be forced to go into League 1 and this may be where the factor of Whitney knowing him could sway him to choose us.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:48 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:... this may be where the factor of Whitney knowing him could sway him to choose us.

... or put him off!? :mrgreen:

LEE75

Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:18 pm

Linked with midfielder a current Torquay Utd captain Courtney RIchards... according to football league paper on Sunday!! He has a 10k transfer fee clause in his contract..

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:35 pm

There was a transfer link in two Sunday papers that Walsall had put in a bit along with two other league one clubs for Danny Rowe....winger who plays for Macclesfield.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:23 am

Not directly Walsall related, but three former Saddlers of differing vintage made League One moves...

The Shrews have signed splinter-picking Bryn Morris, whilst Anthony Gerrard has re-joined Oldham for the 37th time. Somewhat comically.... the Latics have also signed Michael Ngoo!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:51 am

EvenFlow wrote:Not directly Walsall related, but three former Saddlers of differing vintage made League One moves...

The Shrews have signed splinter-picking Bryn Morris, whilst Anthony Gerrard has re-joined Oldham for the 37th time. Somewhat comically.... the Latics have also signed Michael Ngoo!

Wow, now that IS a mistake !!

Bury have signed Pennant!! How come WE miss such captures?

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:24 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
EvenFlow wrote:Not directly Walsall related, but three former Saddlers of differing vintage made League One moves...

Wow, now that IS a mistake !!

Bury have signed Pennant!! How come WE miss such captures?

I'd have Ngoo and his lack of talent over attitude Pennant any day of the week.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:58 pm

Bury now have Pennant, Pope, Vaughan, Neill Danns, Ishmail Miller and Tom Soares in their squad.

I bet those 6 get paid more than the whole of the Walsall squad put together.

Yet Bury constantly plead poverty and can't pay their bills on time....something dosen't add up. Can you fill them in for me AM? :wink:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:18 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Bury now have Pennant, Pope, Vaughan, Neill Danns, Ishmail Miller and Tom Soares in their squad.

Yet Bury constantly plead poverty and can't pay their bills on time....something dosen't add up. Can you fill them in for me AM? :wink:

Wish I could HQ! Though probably being less than 20 miles away from Bury, I don't know any Bury supporters (there ain't that many anyway!)

They ARE constantly under financial constraints, have very small gates, that make ours look impressive, but continue to take on players with clout and a reasonable background, that cannot be cheap (especially Pennant!), Not withstanding their teamsheet, until recently they have been the 'fall like a stone' club of our Division, then suddenly stun Posh 5-1 after a run of nearly as many defeats in a row as we did all those years ago! You cannot fathom the club or it's principles.
Shame they have 'come good' just in time for our visit! :(

Grotty little ground that somehow reminds me of Fellows Park! Will we see you there on Saturday?

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:32 pm

does anyone have an inkling of what our transfer targets are :?:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:01 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:Bury now have Pennant, Pope, Vaughan, Neill Danns, Ishmail Miller and Tom Soares in their squad.

Wish I could HQ! Though probably being less than 20 miles away from Bury, I don't know any Bury supporters (there ain't that many anyway!)

They ARE constantly under financial constraints, have very small gates, that make ours look impressive, but continue to take on players with clout and a reasonable background, that cannot be cheap (especially Pennant!), Not withstanding their teamsheet, until recently they have been the 'fall like a stone' club of our Division, then suddenly stun Posh 5-1 after a run of nearly as many defeats in a row as we did all those years ago! You cannot fathom the club or it's principles.

Grotty little ground that somehow reminds me of Fellows Park! Will we see you there on Saturday?

Bolton for sure.

I'll try and come and say hello. Will you be the elderly bloke at the back screaming blue murder at the Walsall players when they inevitably beat another promotion banker for single-handly trying to ruin your promotion top 2 ticket to the Bahamas bet.....? :mrgreen:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:11 am

SoccerHQ wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Bolton for sure.

I'll try and come and say hello. Will you be the elderly bloke at the back screaming blue murder at the Walsall players when they inevitably beat another promotion banker for single-handly trying to ruin your promotion top 2 ticket to the Bahamas bet.....? :mrgreen:

Florida please! We may one day meet up, would be good, I owe you a pint or two!! :D :D
Just a pointer, if you, or anyone else for that matter, do go to Bolton, DONT park in the Retail Park, they have teams of jobs worth's checking on vehicles, and can spot a football related vehicle a mile off, they are relentless at prosecutions, it's a large fine, and they bug you until you accept and pay up! Believe me I know dozens of Bolton fans who have suffered a similar fate! Bolton's own car park is very expensive though. Park elsewhere and walk is the 'sound' advice...................Bury? no problem, park anywhere, on the pitch would do.

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:09 pm

chunkster wrote:does anyone have an inkling of what our transfer targets are :?:

Yes we aim to get a copy of the Dandy with free tattoo transfers before the end of January so all our players can have Desperate Dan's Mud Pies on their arms.

saddla
Site Addict

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:29 pm

Looks like Bradford are going to sell Hanson to Sheff Utd.
At least he won't score against us when we play Bradford away on all fools day :D

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:29 am

nicky ajose and leon clarke both available for loan i hear.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:23 am

killers left foot wrote:nicky ajose and leon clarke both available for loan i hear.

Leon Clarke = foot-ball-goal! what an opportunity to advance this season, but he will probably want paying, which will put us straight out of the race.

Just don't think Baka has it in him to become the requisite goal machine.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:11 pm

Clarke's in his 30s now so think he's on the way down.

Would take Ajose though...surprised Charlton want to let him go. Is Novak playing much, he might be another one worth enquiring about.

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:38 pm

Ajose has gone to Swindon I see.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue May 02, 2017 1:59 pm

Isn't it time to start Rumours 2017/8.
I've had enough of this season (and so have the players)

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue May 02, 2017 8:24 pm

leics_saddler wrote:Isn't it time to start Rumours 2017/8.
I've had enough of this season (and so have the players)

Yes. Locked and new thread started!

Previous
Return to You Said That Then