Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Transfer Rumours 2016/2017

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
derbysaddler
Site Addict

Re: Transfer Rumours 2016/2017

Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:59 am

SoccerHQ wrote:
chunkster wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:Davies was decent at Derby from memory, he's a Nigel Clough favourite so Burton will probably be interested (is it just me or have they hardly signed anyone so far this summer?)

Very injury prone though so will probably be announced Monday morning to fit this summers criteria. :lol:

Edit: Just looked at their wiki and Burton only got 16 registered professionals for the season so far. :shock: :lol:
do you mean that burton have still got the same players that took them up? and they have kept the team that they were so successful with last year? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: it will never work as a philosophy :mrgreen:

Not all of them, they lost Mark Duffy to Sheffield United.

Seems they've added just two central defenders so looks like they're playing 6-4-0 formation this season.

Randomly they've spent an estimated 400k on a MK DONS defender, Kyle Mcfadzen I think.

saddla
Site Addict

Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:26 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
saddla wrote:I remember when Dave Mackay quit as manager in August 1978 just before the start of the season to go for the Arab 30 pieces of silver, he left us with I think it was 8 full time professionals on the books. There were only 2 weeks to go before the start of the season! :shock: You youngsters ain't seen nothin :lol:

For the record, we got relegated from Division 3 in 1978/79, after finishing 6th the previous season with a decent run in the FA Cup thrown in (beating Leicester in the process).

Even though some of our signings look decent enough this time round (Otzumer, Cuvelier, Edwards, Moussa), I'm getting a bit worried in terms of the lack of striking options available.

We if we don't invest in at least one decent striker over the next couple of weeks, I'll be somewhat miffed.

Season 78/79 Oh dear me
Alan Ashman took over until February '79. Then Frank Sibley (stand by for comments about the worst manager we have ever had) He won 2 games out of the 15 he was in charge for. I think the relegation that season was much more about the managers than the team.
In '79/80 Alan Buckley took over and we got promoted back to div 3!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:25 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
saddla wrote:I remember when Dave Mackay quit as manager in August 1978 just before the start of the season to go for the Arab 30 pieces of silver, he left us with I think it was 8 full time professionals on the books. There were only 2 weeks to go before the start of the season! :shock: You youngsters ain't seen nothin :lol:

For the record, we got relegated from Division 3 in 1978/79, after finishing 6th the previous season with a decent run in the FA Cup thrown in (beating Leicester in the process).

Even though some of our signings look decent enough this time round (Otzumer, Cuvelier, Edwards, Moussa), I'm getting a bit worried in terms of the lack of striking options available.

We if we don't invest in at least one decent striker over the next couple of weeks, I'll be somewhat miffed.

You have to stop worrying my friend, Optimist & Walsallone assure us all that we WILL be signing at least two forwards very shortly, just be patient, that's what they keep telling me anyway! :lol: :lol:
If, and when this does actually happen, I will have to lie down in a darkened room for at least two days! :mrgreen:

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:16 pm

I don't recall saying two AM but definately one. You even got my username wrong, you can't even get that right and it's on every post I do. :D

But don't worry my new avatar says it all.

I was Optimistic last season and I am Optimistic this season.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:11 pm

I said 2 OPTIMISTIC because that is what we need although I notice Whitney said he wanted 3 more players before the season starts......we can only wait and see.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:27 pm

Sorry OPTIMISTIC, I sincerely apologise for getting that wrong, as a bit of a pessimist myself (though it is obviously hard to tell! :mrgreen: ) optimism does not feature heavily in my daily thoughts, may have something to do with following Walsall for 55+ years...it wears ya down eventually!! :D :D

Do hope that Whitney is indeed sincere in his wishes for possibly 3 more players, as they will have to be freebies, lets hope we pick up some good'ns!

DavidWFC2010
UTS Veteran

Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:39 am

Ledesma and two strikers would be just the trick...

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:57 pm

Walsallone wrote:I said 2 OPTIMISTIC because that is what we need although I notice Whitney said he wanted 3 more players before the season starts......we can only wait and see.

Yes I know you did. I was just correcting AM because it's what I do.

I think he's popped off to try and find a glass half empty avatar at the moment, but I am trying to convert him. :)

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:31 am

You have no chance OPTIMISTIC...I regret to say he the original miserable old git :D .....mind you it makes for some lively debates.....it hurts me to say it but perhaps the forum needs the odd AM :D but not too many!!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:51 pm

We've got players who will create a lot of chances (and chip in with goals), we need just need a striker who can spot a through ball, and takes a high percentage of chances. Reuben Reid would match that description for me, and I think he's still available.

He got a lot of unfair stick with us previously, playing in an awful team, in a poisonous atmosphere, yet still scored goals.

We have to be realistic now, with time running out and other options gone, and he is attainable. I'd want another striker as well. Gutted we didn't go for AJ Leitch Smith earlier in the summer, as Bradshaw was always going to leave.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:56 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:We've got players who will create a lot of chances (and chip in with goals), we need just need a striker who can spot a through ball, and takes a high percentage of chances. Reuben Reid would match that description for me, and I think he's still available.

He got a lot of unfair stick with us previously, playing in an awful team, in a poisonous atmosphere, yet still scored goals.

We have to be realistic now, with time running out and other options gone, and he is attainable. I'd want another striker as well. Gutted we didn't go for AJ Leitch Smith earlier in the summer, as Bradshaw was always going to leave.

I'm sure any striker worth his weight would have a field day with satsuma and flo creating.... Need the right fit

Acuman

Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:58 pm

A rumour, which is only word of mouth
We have asked about Tyronne Barnett (sp ?) from Shrewsbury as they want shot to make room in the budget for a CH, and his proposed move to Southend fell through as Simon Cox changed his mind to sign up at Roots Hall !

Derbyshire Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:18 pm

Acuman wrote:A rumour, which is only word of mouth
We have asked about Tyronne Barnett (sp ?) from Shrewsbury as they want shot to make room in the budget for a CH, and his proposed move to Southend fell through as Simon Cox changed his mind to sign up at Roots Hall !

Maybe ok for backup, but would be gutted if he was seen as our main striker.

Luckily the Oldham forum seem to think they'll be signing him today.
http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php/topic/4 ... um=twitter

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:25 pm

not him

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:17 pm

Barnett + Simeon Jackson would've been pretty underwhelming.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:04 pm

Derbyshire Saddler wrote:

No thanks to Barnett. Was paid a fortune at Shrewsbury, and isn't the right type we need.

Sloppies are also chasing Reuben Reid who I mentioned earlier, and would be a better bet for me, on top of the Jackson signing, would give us decent depth.

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:02 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Derbyshire Saddler wrote:

No thanks to Barnett. Was paid a fortune at Shrewsbury, and isn't the right type we need.

Sloppies are also chasing Reuben Reid who I mentioned earlier, and would be a better bet for me, on top of the Jackson signing, would give us decent depth.
i agree reid could be a decent signing for us now would be happy with him :D

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:45 am

I am also with you on this MMF, I think Reid would be a good signing.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:12 am

Perhaps my memory is failing me (wouldn't be the first time), but when Reuben Reid was here before wasn't he known as "sick-note"?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:19 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Perhaps my memory is failing me (wouldn't be the first time), but when Reuben Reid was here before wasn't he known as "sick-note"?

No he played regularly first half of 10/11 before West Brom recalled him in the January.

Of course this was in the car crash Chris Hutchings era so very difficult for anyone to stand out but he did score a few goals.

Been great at Plymouth (50 goals in about 140 appearences) so worth a look!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:47 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:Perhaps my memory is failing me (wouldn't be the first time), but when Reuben Reid was here before wasn't he known as "sick-note"?

No he played regularly first half of 10/11 before West Brom recalled him in the January.

Of course this was in the car crash Chris Hutchings era so very difficult for anyone to stand out but he did score a few goals.

Been great at Plymouth (50 goals in about 140 appearences) so worth a look!

I'm sure I read somewhere that he had already joined someone else?

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:46 pm

Can't find confirmation of Reid's signature anywhere. But this article - particulalry the comments attached to it - don't paint a rosy picture.
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/in-demand-reuben-reid-weighing-up-every-option-after-argyle-exit/story-29482320-detail/story.html

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:36 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:We've got players who will create a lot of chances (and chip in with goals), we need just need a striker who can spot a through ball, and takes a high percentage of chances. Reuben Reid would match that description for me, and I think he's still available.

didn't someone post that he had gone to salop? i don't think he will have forgiven a certain section of our fans for his last engagement here :| .i remember when martin buttler came back. he didn't go on a high note but had hero status on his return. just for the effort he put in. a great player that always had saddlers at heart. i remember him missing a sitter(i thought on purpose) for rotherham when we needed to win to stop up. maybe reuben could emulate him if he returned :D

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:59 pm

chunkster wrote:

didn't someone post that he had gone to salop? i don't think he will have forgiven a certain section of our fans for his last engagement here :| .i remember when martin buttler came back. he didn't go on a high note but had hero status on his return. just for the effort he put in. a great player that always had saddlers at heart. i remember him missing a sitter(i thought on purpose) for rotherham when we needed to win to stop up. maybe reuben could emulate him if he returned :D

Talks with Sloppies broke down. A few league one clubs chasing him, I'd be surprised if we're by one of them. He scored 20+ goals two seasons on the trot, and 7 goals last year, in an injury hit season. Reading the Argyle forum, most rate him, but he can get tetchy and wasn't happy with the way Plymouth dealt with his injury.

With Jackson and Bakayoko, Reid would make a good bunch to choose from.

PS. I'm not sure if he's signed for anyone else today!

saddla
Site Addict

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:49 am

Billy Clifford just signed for Crawley :)

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:18 am

Imagine Reuben Reid and Simeon Jackson upfront. I can see them two causing havoc with Flo and Oztumer behind them (Yes, I am aware we will probably play one up front so this'd never happen even if we were to sign Reid)

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am

scott_powell wrote:Imagine Reuben Reid and Simeon Jackson upfront. I can see them two causing havoc with Flo and Oztumer behind them (Yes, I am aware we will probably play one up front so this'd never happen even if we were to sign Reid)

I've seen the club commenting they want to make a statement by spending a transfer fee - I'd loff (and probably collapse with shock) if we gazumped the blunts for Leon Clarke. :mrgreen:

barnslanesaddler
UTS Regular

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:37 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Imagine Reuben Reid and Simeon Jackson upfront. I can see them two causing havoc with Flo and Oztumer behind them (Yes, I am aware we will probably play one up front so this'd never happen even if we were to sign Reid)

I've seen the club commenting they want to make a statement by spending a transfer fee - I'd loff (and probably collapse with shock) if we gazumped the blunts for Leon Clarke. :mrgreen:

Now that would be a statement of intent in my book, I know he is 31 but he is a big physical unit, good in the air, still has plenty of pace and grabbed 18 goals in a poor Bury side last season, think how many he might score with the way our new look creative midfield is shaping up.

Anyone know how much the blades bid was?

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:49 am

barnslanesaddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Now that would be a statement of intent in my book, I know he is 31 but he is a big physical unit, good in the air, still has plenty of pace and grabbed 18 goals in a poor Bury side last season, think how many he might score with the way our new look creative midfield is shaping up.

Anyone know how much the blades bid was?

I would imagine around £500,000 but I think it will take £650,000 to get him.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:50 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:

Didn't he go to Bury on 4k per week the same as that Pope.

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then