Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Transfer Rumours 2016/2017

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Re: Transfer Rumours 2016/2017

Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:41 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Didn't he go to Bury on 4k per week the same as that Pope.

I'd take Pope, that mossive pain in the arse.

But, yeah, they both signed three years deals for reportedly silly money last summer.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:02 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Imagine Reuben Reid and Simeon Jackson upfront. I can see them two causing havoc with Flo and Oztumer behind them (Yes, I am aware we will probably play one up front so this'd never happen even if we were to sign Reid)

I've seen the club commenting they want to make a statement by spending a transfer fee - I'd loff (and probably collapse with shock) if we gazumped the blunts for Leon Clarke. :mrgreen:

Didn't he go to Bury on 4k per week the same as that Pope.

He was on more than Pope.

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:19 pm

EvenFlow wrote:
NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Didn't he go to Bury on 4k per week the same as that Pope.

But, yeah, they both signed three years deals for reportedly silly money last summer.

Funny that a club signing players and taking a risk and now having to get rid due to financial concerns!

barnslanesaddler
UTS Regular

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:01 pm

chriss5471 wrote:
EvenFlow wrote:

Funny that a club signing players and taking a risk and now having to get rid due to financial concerns!

Now being reported across twitter that Pope has been made avaialble for a free transfer or loan.

Getting on a bit now, maybe not the force of old, but still a handful, always has been, different to what we have, but not if expensive wages.

I am not too fussed one way or another, probably prefer a younger premiership forward on loan or Reid.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:21 pm

Wouldnt want Pope. Don't get this religious love people have for him.

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:14 pm

would like pope on loan for half a season and see how it goes.he had a poor season last year by his standards

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:33 pm

You really need to play hoofball to get the best out of Tom Pope.

Still would stop the buggar scoring everytime he plays Walsall. :lol:

nottmsaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:40 pm

Whoever we get in up front, I hope he is quicker than the person responsible for changing the squad pictures on the official site.

I know its a tiny detail but its a bit embarrassing going through the reel and only four or five of them actually still playing for us.

Everything else is up to date - maybe its just nostalgia.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:45 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Wouldnt want Pope. Don't get this religious love people have for him.

Because they think Vatican score every game

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:25 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Wouldnt want Pope. Don't get this religious love people have for him.

Vatican square the ball to Jackson? :D

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:37 pm

Pope wants to stay local. After all it is only a part-time job, albeit one paying £208,000 per annum.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/former-port-vale-striker-tom-pope-favours-local-club-after-he-s-made-available-by-bury/story-29537615-detail/story.html?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:54 pm

Cheesebag wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

If only we'd signed Simon Church.

A front line of biblical proportions!

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:27 am

philthesaddler wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

If only we'd signed Simon Church.

A front line of biblical proportions!

Leading to a flood of goals?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:30 am

I don't Noah better strike force in League 1

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:41 am

Only if they plague him as a lone striker

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:48 am

Cheesebag wrote:Only if they plague him as a lone striker

Maybe, but the locusts will get very restless if there's a goal drought

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:42 am

We're heading for a four, two by two formation. Hopefully we'll not be cross by Easter.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:55 am

It will be a Goliath task to win this league but nothing is nailed on

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:42 pm

Maybe if we made Pope a player coach he could put something into the youth team.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:35 pm

kshammer wrote:Maybe if we made Pope a player coach he could put something into the youth team.

:shock: :shock:

If Honest John reads that you'll leapfrog me to the top of his hate list :lol:

bigbadsad
UTS Veteran

Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:14 pm

Probably rubbish but I have been told to expect brandy to sign this week

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:18 pm

bigbadsad wrote:Probably rubbish but I have been told to expect brandy to sign this week

Good after seeing Amadou take 3 penalties pre season we need someone who can dive in the box.

saddla
Site Addict

Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:18 pm

Birmingham Mail reporting that the Baggies are waiting for us to tell them if we want to have Tahvon Campbell on short term loan. Not sure about short term or full season.
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-brom-wait-answer-loan-11660578?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:58 pm

bigbadsad wrote:Probably rubbish but I have been told to expect brandy to sign this week

He'd fill a hole in the squad, just seems very weird though as he has been in Thailand for less than a year.

Whitney also the 2 players he is looking at are in teams right now as he wants them to be have had a pre-season, does anyone have a clue when the Thailand pre season start? :lol:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:07 pm

I thought JW's comments were very interesting...it is clear he is either looking for loans or players to sign from other clubs where presumably a fee or compensation will be paid!!
I would be amazed and very disappointed if we saw Brandy again...he is not a player I would waste money on.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:02 pm

Walsallone wrote:I thought JW's comments were very interesting...it is clear he is either looking for loans or players to sign from other clubs where presumably a fee or compensation will be paid!!
I would be amazed and very disappointed if we saw Brandy again...he is not a player I would waste money on.

Have to agree with that, he is a spent force, well past his best, (probably most of which we saw) would only command a place with a semi pro club from the much lower leagues as a part timer, being paid only as and when he appeared.

It's now getting quite close to KO, but I still believe that thanks to Uncle Jeff, Whitney's hands may well now be tied to the players we already have, the nonsense being spouted currently about additional players prior to kick off just bravado to keep us fans appeased, and realistically it's now very late to be bedding in newcomers. If and when shortcomings appear in the team after the real stuff starts, our No.1 Uncle may well clear the way for a few loans.
We'll see.............................

Hope I'm wrong cus I'm so bored now........when does the footy start........................

Fish
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:42 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Walsallone wrote:I thought JW's comments were very interesting...it is clear he is either looking for loans or players to sign from other clubs where presumably a fee or compensation will be paid!!

Have to agree with that, he is a spent force, well past his best, (probably most of which we saw) would only command a place with a semi pro club from the much lower leagues as a part timer, being paid only as and when he appeared.

It's now getting quite close to KO, but I still believe that thanks to Uncle Jeff, Whitney's hands may well now be tied to the players we already have, the nonsense being spouted currently about additional players prior to kick off just bravado to keep us fans appeased, and realistically it's now very late to be bedding in newcomers. If and when shortcomings appear in the team after the real stuff starts, our No.1 Uncle may well clear the way for a few loans.

Hope I'm wrong cus I'm so bored now........when does the footy start........................

I fear that you might be right, given this comment from Whitney, last week.

'But while Whitney feels he already has a ‘nucleus’ of a successful side, he believes as extra couple of players are still required.
He said: "I think there will be a couple more. I haven’t finished yet. The chairman might think I have but I’m still pushing'

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:54 pm

Fish wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

'But while Whitney feels he already has a ‘nucleus’ of a successful side, he believes as extra couple of players are still required.
He said: "I think there will be a couple more. I haven’t finished yet. The chairman might think I have but I’m still pushing'

I think you are both wrong and we will see at least one more and maybe two.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:31 pm

Optimistic wrote:
Fish wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Your just repeating the Walsallone mantra now!! :lol: :lol:
Certainly hope your optimism pays dividends, we will struggle to score goals unless we amass some more forward minded
individuals.........

Fish
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:37 pm

Optimistic wrote:
Fish wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Let's hope.

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then