Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Transfer Rumours 2016/2017

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Re: Transfer Rumours 2016/2017

Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:02 am

JonnyOwen wrote:Not a rumour but since we expect Demetriou to leave we will need a new right back.

Barnsley have just released George Williams, he is a 23 year old full back who can play on either side. When put into the Barnsley side their stats were 17 wins 6 draws 1 loss and he scored the goal to send them into the play offs - yet he has been released. Surely this is someone we should definitely be looking at to replace Demetriou?

He is a good lad and was a very good performer in Worcester City's FA Cup run when they beat Coventry. I would take him all day long if I am being honest and I would imagine Whitney is aware of him from the links we have with Worcester. My only worry is we can't make any right back signing until we know for sure about Demetriou as I have a funny feeling he may be swayed to stay if the right London based team (Brentford) doesn't come in for him.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:11 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Thought Sloppies had one of the lowest budgets in the league, on 5k average aswell. Where is all this extra dough coming from?

They seem to have one of these big splash-out, squad overhauls every couple of years. I seem to recall Mellon bringing practically a new squad in for League Two, after their last relegation. Andy Mangan was nipping at my brain, and a quick Wiki check (reliability of source notwithstanding) suggests they had to wait between the end of 2014/15 and the last transfer window to give him a new contract, due to FFP restrictions.

From an outside observer's perspective, they certainly seem to have a high-ish turnover of playing staff. One club that flies under the radar in the "basket-case" stakes, perhaps?

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Location: In the white room with black curtains near the station.

Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:47 pm

chriss5471 wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:Not a rumour but since we expect Demetriou to leave we will need a new right back.

Barnsley have just released George Williams, he is a 23 year old full back who can play on either side. When put into the Barnsley side their stats were 17 wins 6 draws 1 loss and he scored the goal to send them into the play offs - yet he has been released. Surely this is someone we should definitely be looking at to replace Demetriou?

He is a good lad and was a very good performer in Worcester City's FA Cup run when they beat Coventry. I would take him all day long if I am being honest and I would imagine Whitney is aware of him from the links we have with Worcester. My only worry is we can't make any right back signing until we know for sure about Demetriou as I have a funny feeling he may be swayed to stay if the right London based team (Brentford) doesn't come in for him.

I've heard Millwall are trying to put a package together for Demetriou.

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:20 pm

Dynamo Zuffle wrote:
chriss5471 wrote:

If that is the case and he moves it wouldn't surprise me to hear we offered him more money than they are willing to, so the real test is how much does he want to be in London?

I don't base this on any facts but I get a gut feeling Demetriou has been offered a very very good wage by us and other clubs won't value him as highly because you have to play a certain way to fit him in your team as he likes to bomb forward more than defend!

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Location: In the white room with black curtains near the station.

Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:00 pm

chriss5471 wrote:
Dynamo Zuffle wrote:
chriss5471 wrote:

If that is the case and he moves it wouldn't surprise me to hear we offered him more money than they are willing to, so the real test is how much does he want to be in London?

I don't base this on any facts but I get a gut feeling Demetriou has been offered a very very good wage by us and other clubs won't value him as highly because you have to play a certain way to fit him in your team as he likes to bomb forward more than defend!

He is supposedly wanting to move back closer to London so maybe money won't be his soul motivation would be a good player to keep hold of if we can.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:33 am

Demetriou to have his medical at Southend today.

portlandbill
UTS Veteran

Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:52 pm

Sadders wrote:Demetriou to have his medical at Southend today.

He will fail due to the fact he has only half a brain. Southend. Thought it only existed in East Enders. Bet he didn't look at a map but was fooled by the title London Southend Airport.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:05 pm

portlandbill wrote:

He will fail due to the fact he has only half a brain. Southend. Thought it only existed in East Enders. Bet he didn't look at a map but was fooled by the title London Southend Airport.

Depends which side of London he lives.

Anything west and yeah Southend can be quite a trek. He did play for Orient so on the east side it dosen't take that long.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:06 pm

We have been in contact with Kieron Freeman's representatives.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:08 pm

Walsall_Casual wrote:We have been in contact with Kieron Freeman's representatives.

I'd like that!

Fairly certain he is under contract though right?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:10 pm

He was on loan at Pompey wasn't he? Did Sheffield United release him?

He's been around the east midland scene, been at Forest and Derby. Also oj loan at Mansfield twice and Notts County three times. :shock:

Never really seen him play so dunno if he's as attacking as Demetriou?

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:12 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
Walsall_Casual wrote:We have been in contact with Kieron Freeman's representatives.

I'd like that!

Don't know anything about him.

All I know is that we are keen but he does have other options.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:13 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:

I'd like that!

Sheffield United having yet another contract so they could well pay up last year of deal or loan him out again.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:28 pm

There are some interesting tweets on his twitter

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:46 pm

He has been transfer listen at Sheffield United by Chris Wilder, so it is certainly realistic. Apparently Ipswich, Porstmouth and Burton are all in for him too though.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:52 pm

Their fans seem to rate him. Saying he shouldn't have been loaned out and that they 'wants him back for next season'. Can never remember seeing him play tbh.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:06 pm

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:54 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
portlandbill wrote:

Depends which side of London he lives.

Anything west and yeah Southend can be quite a trek. He did play for Orient so on the east side it dosen't take that long.

It's an hour by train to Liverpool Street.

barnslanesaddler
UTS Regular

Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:34 pm

I will throw another name into the hat.

Especially as we are probably in need of two full backs.

Not information as such, but just noticed that Matt Tootle has negotiated by mutual consent the termination of his contract with the Sloppies, still had a year to run.

5'9" pacy right back who spent most of his career at Crewe from a youngster.

Always rated him, sure he was the Crewe captain too.

Appears he can also play left back and had also played as a winger whilst at Crewe.

I wonder if we are in for him, right age too just 25

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:03 pm

barnslanesaddler wrote:

I will throw another name into the hat.

Especially as we are probably in need of two full backs.

Not information as such, but just noticed that Matt Tootle has negotiated by mutual consent the termination of his contract with the Sloppies, still had a year to run.

5'9" pacy right back who spent most of his career at Crewe from a youngster.

Always rated him, sure he was the Crewe captain too.

Appears he can also play left back and had also played as a winger whilst at Crewe.

I wonder if we are in for him, right age too just 25

God no, he's awful.

barnslanesaddler
UTS Regular

Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:15 pm

So it wasn't us in the frame to sign him then, it was Notts County in league two.

Probably more his level to be fair.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:14 pm

Anyone take Carl Dickinson?

Yet another to leave Vale, still only 29 despite being around forever and similar to Taylor, LB and can also fill in at CB so could be a decent squad pickup.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:19 pm

Christ, what has gone at that club? Can see them being in the Conference in 2 years

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Wragbyred wrote:Christ, what has gone at that club? Can see them being in the Conference in 2 years

Smurf cut the budget 60% over last two seasons. :lol:

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:05 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
Wragbyred wrote:Christ, what has gone at that club? Can see them being in the Conference in 2 years

Smurf cut the budget 60% over last two seasons. :lol:

Back up to 2.5m now for the new foreign manager.

Apparently had contracts accepted for 13 players and are bringing two loanees from Portugal (that are apparently on more money than their entire budget).

Wyrley Saddler 66
UTS Regular

Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:59 am

What happened to Ellis Plumber? Left sided centre half from MCFC.

Perhaps waiting for them to release him.

Move J.O'C to the right and the centre of defence is sorted.

Rico news is very quiet?

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:46 am

Masi expects us to sign someone today.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:18 pm

Wyrley Saddler 66 wrote:What happened to Ellis Plumber? Left sided centre half from MCFC.

No thanks. He's played there before and was very poor. He got a right slating on here and was deemed a right useless so and so. Went back into the middle has been fantastic. My player of the season.
Last edited by DonningtonSaddler on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:20 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
Wyrley Saddler 66 wrote:What happened to Ellis Plumber? Left sided centre half from MCFC.

No thanks. He's played there before and was very poor. He got a right slating on here and was deemed a useless so and so. Went back into the middle has been fantastic. My player of the season.

I think he meant right sided centre half, not right back.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:20 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:

No thanks. He's played there before and was very poor. He got a right slating on here and was deemed a useless so and so. Went back into the middle has been fantastic. My player of the season.

I think he meant right sided centre half, not right back.

:oops:

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then