Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

STANDING CONTINGENT APPEAL

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.

Is it right to stand up in the Tile Choice Lower Stand?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:20 pm

Yes, it doesn't matter how I effect other supporters I should be allowed to stand.
53%
No, its unfair to other paying ticket holders to have their view restricted or force them to stand.
47%

Total votes : 66
mrbwfc
UTS Regular

Re: STANDING CONTINGENT APPEAL

Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:07 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
mrbwfc wrote:This is a joke its a football match people stand simple.

It creates the only bit of atmosphere at home and shouldn't be stopped it's not just 10 or 20 that stand there is pockets in most blocks in the lower and 200 in block 4. There is plenty of places in the lower where u can see the whole game unaffected also loads of space all round the ground.

Also to in force everyone must sit policy the club would need more stewards (a pointless cost to the club). You wouldn't have got Oldham to sit down yesterday and you certainly won't get a chunk of us to sit at donny next week!

They'll be no problem at Doncaster, our own supporters sit where they like the same as most away games, we won't sell out so the more active fans go towards the back, the rest middle - downwards, unfortunately not something that can be done at home games due to miserable sitters choosing the back row as their spot and proceed to guano blood when someone is standing around them. It's actually a bit thick. I was front row behind the goal for years when I was a youngster, so I could see the game and not be on my feet all game. I knew the score then, and so did my dad, we chose that spot and moved further up when I could see and enjoy the atmosphere (lol) a bit more. Common sense prevails! :D

It has only been the past two seasons that most of block 4 are standing up, and I think it was an effort to help the drab atmosphere out, should all know it is more or less the 'unofficial singing block' and all know what to expect when you are in or around that certain area (it is the home end ffs), we have a lot more up on our feet all game than most in this league I have found, would obviously be better for all if they spread the standing over two blocks so no views would be obstructed, but it can't be done due to obviously reasons. So all you can do is stand up too and just maybe get a bit of football culture inside your petty self, or unfortunately move, cause you don't run down the only consistent vocal part of the ground. That's coming from someone who isn't even in Block 4 any more either.

Exactly everyone knows its the vocal and standing part of the ground and more n more get tickets in that block each week for that reason! Shouldn't be a problem with it

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:13 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
very well said bernie, the club know the people who stand up and they should be told to sit down or to move to another part of the ground where they can stand up and not annoy me.

Fixed that for you.

How are you able to change the wording on peoples posts?

Moderator power!!!!!!! :D

I thought the role of the mod was to ensure nothing libellous, insulting or anything that could damage the integrity of UTS could be posted. I didn't realise they had the right to alter individual posts because they don't agree with what the poster has said. I'm not sure that's fair or ethical.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:19 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
very well said bernie, the club know the people who stand up and they should be told to sit down or to move to another part of the ground where they can stand up and not annoy me.

Fixed that for you.

I thought the role of the mod was to ensure nothing libellous, insulting or anything that could damage the integrity of UTS could be posted. I didn't realise they had the right to alter individual posts because they don't agree with what the poster has said. I'm not sure that's fair or ethical.

To be serious for a moment, any alteration to individual posts is (from my part) only done to remove deliberate attempts to by-pass the swear filter, or as you say, potentially damaging comments which may be litigenous. Which is why I ended my previous post with a :D ......perhaps I should have used a :wink:

UTS

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:24 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Fixed that for you.

I thought the role of the mod was to ensure nothing libellous, insulting or anything that could damage the integrity of UTS could be posted. I didn't realise they had the right to alter individual posts because they DO NOT agree with what the poster has said. I'm not sure that's fair or ethical.

pretty easy really anyone can do it just change what theyve put when you are quoting them :roll:

SEE? im expecting a whoosh :lol:

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:38 pm

My fear from this "debate" is that Bonser programs his androids to come down hard in 2 weeks time. It's not a lot of fun (even given the massive improvement in the footie this year) at Fortress Bezla library. I ain't a singer but I appreciate those who do and give the place some atmosphere for a couple of minutes each home game.

After the Cyprus flags, I'm really not in the frame of mind to put up with heavy handed stewarding again.

Lilsnappa
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:50 pm

I have seen this from both sides. At home I have stood (during the unity days) all game and shouted my head off - I now sit by the halfway line in the OAP stand so IO can actually see to watch the game.

I have also been away at Coventry, nowhere near the back, and argued with three drunken numpties as they were constantly standing up in front of me shouting drunken, abusive and threatening piffle at the Cov fans. I then got told i was not a 'proper fan' as i didnt want to also stand up and invite the cov fans for a fight.

However, at home it is clear that there are sections which are normally standing (unofficialy) i personally would not buy a season ticket in this area or any ticket for that matter and expect to see any of the game whilst sat down.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:01 pm

This thread really does make me think Saddlers fans could start an argument in a phone box. We know the atmosphere is better when you stand and sing and we know some people like to sit. Under the present arrangements, these two things are mutually exclusive. The answer is not to bicker about it or score points, it's to join something positive to change the situation, the Safe Standing Campaign.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:02 pm

Lilsnappa wrote:I have also been away at Coventry, nowhere near the back, and argued with three drunken numpties as they were constantly standing up in front of me shouting drunken, abusive and threatening piffle at the Cov fans. I then got told i was not a 'proper fan' as i didnt want to also stand up and invite the cov fans for a fight.

However, at home it is clear that there are sections which are normally standing (unofficialy) i personally would not buy a season ticket in this area or any ticket for that matter and expect to see any of the game whilst sat down.

Agree with all that.

PS I have deleted part of your post because my reply doesn't really relate to it. This is not fascistic moderating. xx

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:02 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Fixed that for you.

If you don't like it, move to another seat....err message board.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:03 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Fixed that for you.

I didn't read or chose not to understand King Crimson's explanation just a few posts above, so now I'm being bloody minded and going off on a tangent.

Fixed that... :wink:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:05 pm

Exile wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:[quote]

Fixed that for you.

I didn't read or chose not to understand King Crimson's explanation just a few posts above, so now I'm being bloody minded and going off on a tangent.

Fixed that... :P[/quote]

:wink:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:06 pm

Cliquetastic.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:08 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Cliquetastic.

We agree.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:09 pm

Join here (you know it makes sense):

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/view/sa ... g-campaign

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:11 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Join here (you know it makes sense):

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/view/sa ... g-campaign

It will never happen at Bescot, unless its funded by anyone other than the club.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:18 pm

what a joke of a thread, what a heavy bias in the wording of the poll.

stop whining like little babies. is it any less inconsiderate to get a back row ticket then expect everyone in front to sit because that's what suits you?

standing opens your diaphram, any voice coach will tell you that, so yes, singing is easier when standing.

a couple of weeks back on 606 that odious ignoramus alan green was moaning (to make a change!) about standing, stating he'd been at a concert with his wife, where people in front of him were "standing, swaying from side to side and pretending to enjoy themselves", yep, you read right, PRETENDING! the bloke was seriously complaining about people dancing at a gig. god help us.

the most irritating aspect of this is that it's in your own hands to do something incredibly simple if you're bothered by hampered viewing. just move to any of the many available empty seats. why should you? because it's the most straightforward and elegant solution to the situation. i've been listening to people complain about this for years instead of avoiding the problem in the 1st place, almost as if they're happier moaning than watching football. weird, weird lot.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:22 pm

wfc & chips wrote:a couple of weeks back on 606 that odious ignoramus alan green was moaning (to make a change!) about standing, stating he'd been at a concert with his wife, where people in front of him were "standing, swaying from side to side and pretending to enjoy themselves", yep, you read right, PRETENDING!

The Last Night of the Proms was totally ruined for him.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:23 pm

Alan Green. Car crashes were invented for his face. Oh what a horrible human.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:33 pm

kpritchard05 wrote:

It creates the only bit of atmosphere at home and shouldn't be stopped it's not just 10 or 20 that stand there is pockets in most blocks in the lower and 200 in block 4. There is plenty of places in the lower where u can see the whole game unaffected also loads of space all round the ground.

Also to in force everyone must sit policy the club would need more stewards (a pointless cost to the club). You wouldn't have got Oldham to sit down yesterday and you certainly won't get a chunk of us to sit at donny next week!

Just remind people again as some people aren't relising that you agree to the ground regulation when you enter the ground:

The following acts are arrestable offences under the Football (Offences) Act 1991, as amended:

Nobody may stand in any seating area whilst play is in progress.Persistent standing in seated areas whilst play is in progress is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection from the Ground.

& also:

The Club reserves absolutely the right to eject from the Ground any person failing to comply with any of the Ground Regulations or whose presence within the Ground is, or could, reasonably be construed as constituting a source of danger, nuisance or annoyance to any other person.This could lead to further action by the Club including, but not limited to, the withdrawal of any season ticket (without reimbursement) and other benefits.

Entry to the Ground shall constitute acceptance of the Ground Regulations.

Am I allowed to have you kicked out for moaning constantly at people for standing up and therefore causing a nuisance and annoyance to another person? It's it the ground regulations! :mrgreen:

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:47 pm

kpritchard05 wrote:

Just remind people again as some people aren't relising that you agree to the ground regulation when you enter the ground:

The following acts are arrestable offences under the Football (Offences) Act 1991, as amended:

Nobody may stand in any seating area whilst play is in progress.Persistent standing in seated areas whilst play is in progress is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection from the Ground.

& also:

The Club reserves absolutely the right to eject from the Ground any person failing to comply with any of the Ground Regulations or whose presence within the Ground is, or could, reasonably be construed as constituting a source of danger, nuisance or annoyance to any other person.This could lead to further action by the Club including, but not limited to, the withdrawal of any season ticket (without reimbursement) and other benefits.

Entry to the Ground shall constitute acceptance of the Ground Regulations.

I had some sympathy for your situation to begin with but after reading page after page of your jobsworth posts and quoting of regulations I've slowly lost the will to live.

Stop being an utter Scunthorpe and move seats... problem solved.

kevin
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:42 pm

Sunderland have enforced bans upon a number of season-ticket holders following their refusal to sit down during matches at the Stadium of Light.

A photograph that has been circulating on Twitter shows one seat that the club have taped-up as part of their clamp-down on persistent standers.

Head of safety and security Paul Weir said: "We certainly don't wish to spoil the enjoyment of any supporters, we want a vibrant lively matchday atmosphere just as much as the fans do, but we also have legal obligations that we must be seen to be adhering to.

"We also have a duty of care to all of our supporters, including elderly and disabled fans who have contacted us very concerned that their enjoyment on a matchday is being compromised because people around them stand throughout the game.

"Naturally we want to ensure a safe, comfortable and enjoyable experience for everyone at the Stadium of Light and we'd ask supporters to listen to requests from stewards and help us to eradicate persistent standing for the sake of all fans."

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:43 pm

OP is a.............: show
master ruseman

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:09 pm

We simply cant afford to ban people

heretosayafewwords

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:34 pm

I'm stunned by some of the things written on this thread.

Its a seated area, forget any rules or regulations - basic manners, sit down for pitys sake.

I've seen the group who stand many times. Not being a season ticket holder, I generally hop into the nearest seat without obstruction but even that shouldnt happen. I had a winge at a few of them before and got the usual wanna be hard man repsonses to which I laughed. Hard one to get a balanced view on though because those that stand, according to themselves, are the "real fans" - something ive head them say.

The sentiment of this thread is entirely correct. Learn some manners, consider those around you and sit down. If you cant manage that simple task, it speaks volumes about you......

heretosayafewwords

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:37 pm

Entry to the Ground shall constitute acceptance of the Ground Regulations.[/quote]

I had some sympathy for your situation to begin with but after reading page after page of your all round good egg posts and quoting of regulations I've slowly lost the will to live.

Stop being an utter lady-garden and move seats... problem solved.[/quote]

Alternatively, you could stop being an utter clown and chucking petty insults around. Shortly followed by sitting yourself down, theres a good little lad. :twisted:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:45 pm

Sit down, if you hate the Wolves.

wivenj
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:49 pm

Lets take their brains to another dimension, pay close attention .... I am Walsall's prodigy.

Chris
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:16 pm

This thread can't be for real.

It just can't be!

SafeStandingRoadshow

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi All,

Good to see you chatting about standing. Clearly one solution to the problem of standing fans inconveniencing those who prefer to sit is for the ban on standing to be revoked and for clubs to have the freedom, if they wish, to provide designated safe standing areas for supporters who prefer to stand - away from those who like to sit. It's all about choice!

I'd be happy to bring the Safe Standing Roadshow to Walsall to show fans / the club what 'safe standing' is all about, i.e. standing areas fitted with rail seats like this:

http://youtu.be/apX5V1IJCW4

If anyone at your end can help to arrange a visit, please contact me via the e-mail address on the website:

http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk

Cheers!

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:30 pm

All seater stadia are there for a reason: It was called Hillsborough.

It is possible to sing from a seated position. Standing up seems to make no difference to the atmosphere generated by those who want to sing.

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then