Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

STANDING CONTINGENT APPEAL

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.

Is it right to stand up in the Tile Choice Lower Stand?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:20 pm

Yes, it doesn't matter how I effect other supporters I should be allowed to stand.
53%
No, its unfair to other paying ticket holders to have their view restricted or force them to stand.
47%

Total votes : 66
tinned
Site Addict

Re: STANDING CONTINGENT APPEAL

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:43 pm

Super Gabor wrote:All seater stadia are there for a reason: It was called Hillsborough.

It is possible to sing from a seated position. Standing up seems to make no difference to the atmosphere generated by those who want to sing.

Have you ever taken the time to look at safe standing options? They are safer than seating in my opinion. They allow more room to exit the area than the traditional seat. People who quote Hillsborough as a reason not to look at safe standing are either lazy or just don't want the truth to hinder their prejudices (IMHO).

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:12 pm

Super Gabor wrote:All seater stadia are there for a reason: It was called Hillsborough.

It is possible to sing from a seated position. Standing up seems to make no difference to the atmosphere generated by those who want to sing.

What rubbish, bescot had a great atmosphere before seating was introduced and now its dead, granted the new stand didnt help but believe me if we had standing behind the goal then the place wouldnt be like a morgue

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:13 pm

tinned wrote:

Have you ever taken the time to look at safe standing options? They are safer than seating in my opinion. They allow more room to exit the area than the traditional seat. People who quote Hillsborough as a reason not to look at safe standing are either lazy or just don't want the truth to hinder their prejudices (IMHO).

To right, Hillsborough is a terrible excuse. There were to many people in the end, this is easily preventable in the future. There were huge fences up, this will never be the case again, and should never have been there at the time, given what happened at Bradford, should have been a warning, far more would have died if there had been fencing up.

Safe standing is completely different too, there is no chance of surges how the barriers are set up, you have more chance of hurting yourself in a seated stand I would say, take a look at Dortmunds ground, amazing and totally safe.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:27 pm

SafeStandingRoadshow wrote:Hi All,

Good to see you chatting about standing. Clearly one solution to the problem of standing fans inconveniencing those who prefer to sit is for the ban on standing to be revoked and for clubs to have the freedom, if they wish, to provide designated safe standing areas for supporters who prefer to stand - away from those who like to sit. It's all about choice!

I'd be happy to bring the Safe Standing Roadshow to Walsall to show fans / the club what 'safe standing' is all about, i.e. standing areas fitted with rail seats like this:

http://youtu.be/apX5V1IJCW4

If anyone at your end can help to arrange a visit, please contact me via the e-mail address on the website:

http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk

Cheers!

There it is folks, the opportunity.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:43 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
tinned wrote:

To right, Hillsborough is a terrible excuse. There were to many people in the end, this is easily preventable in the future. There were huge fences up, this will never be the case again, and should never have been there at the time, given what happened at Bradford, should have been a warning, far more would have died if there had been fencing up.

Safe standing is completely different too, there is no chance of surges how the barriers are set up, you have more chance of hurting yourself in a seated stand I would say, take a look at Dortmunds ground, amazing and totally safe.

I think you'll find Hillsborough is not a terrible excuse. It was a terrible tragedy.

It wasn't just due to terracing I agree - we know the reasons why and perimeter fencing played a huge part too. But fencing had been brought in to try and "control" the hooliganism blighted 70s and 80s. However, and I am not saying this would happen at Walsall, but with standing areas you bring back the potential environment that makes one set of fans "rush" another a possibility. I won't put it any stronger than that.

Say our home end and the family stand had been terraced rather than seated areas when we played Sheff Weds Boxing Day 2011. It got a bit angry towards the end of that game. If there were no seats in the way, those up for a scrap would have found it much easier and quicker to get at each other....seats effectively act as hurdles and whilst not the prime reason they were installed, they do act to stop make it less likely that those charges we had runining football in the bad old days. A kind of barrier.

Remember when we used to go to Saltergate? i enjoyed standing on their away terrace as much as anyone else, but remember that their nutters used to love walking all the way around the ground into the corner near us to taunt and flick the Vs for 45 minutes when they were kicking our way. Walsall fans are, by and large, a well behaved bunch. But that taunting then encouraged a few of our lot to move into that corner unhindered to give the verbals back. That would now have happened with an all seater ground.

Depends what atmosphere you want I guess. I like good natured banter between fans but when the aggressive lot become a side-show distraction from the football action on the field, you can count me out.

I used to stand like most of us did, til the Taylor Report enforced seating upon us. We got used to it didn't we? I get out my seat when the football warrants it - a reaction to something exciting happening on the pitch. I no longer need to stand for the entire 90 minutes and don't really get the mindset of those that do anymore.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:00 am

gab, you're speaking from a position of ignorance. have a look at this safe standing system, you'll see your concerns are unfounded.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:11 am

Super Gabor wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
tinned wrote:

I think you'll find Hillsborough is not a terrible excuse. It was a terrible tragedy.

It wasn't just due to terracing I agree - we know the reasons why and perimeter fencing played a huge part too. But fencing had been brought in to try and "control" the hooliganism blighted 70s and 80s. However, and I am not saying this would happen at Walsall, but with standing areas you bring back the potential environment that makes one set of fans "rush" another a possibility. I won't put it any stronger than that.

Say our home end and the family stand had been terraced rather than seated areas when we played Sheff Weds Boxing Day 2011. It got a bit angry towards the end of that game. If there were no seats in the way, those up for a scrap would have found it much easier and quicker to get at each other....seats effectively act as hurdles and whilst not the prime reason they were installed, they do act to stop make it less likely that those charges we had runining football in the bad old days. A kind of barrier.

Remember when we used to go to Saltergate? i enjoyed standing on their away terrace as much as anyone else, but remember that their nutters used to love walking all the way around the ground into the corner near us to taunt and flick the Vs for 45 minutes when they were kicking our way. Walsall fans are, by and large, a well behaved bunch. But that taunting then encouraged a few of our lot to move into that corner unhindered to give the verbals back. That would now have happened with an all seater ground.

Depends what atmosphere you want I guess. I like good natured banter between fans but when the aggressive lot become a side-show distraction from the football action on the field, you can count me out.

I used to stand like most of us did, til the Taylor Report enforced seating upon us. We got used to it didn't we? I get out my seat when the football warrants it - a reaction to something exciting happening on the pitch. I no longer need to stand for the entire 90 minutes and don't really get the mindset of those that do anymore.

Wooah, I never said it wasn't a terrible tragedy, seriously I have been up for fighting with my own mates for even remotely talking nonsense about what happened that day. What happened that day is a lot closer to me than most people realise, I don't intend to tell the story, but anyway whatever anyone else thinks, it was a sickening tragedy, no one should go to a football match and not go home.

As said by others though, take a look in to safe standing, it is completely different to the old terraces. If you wish to sit down, then that is also fine, there is always going to be that, but from what I can see, from a football fans point of view there is still a place for standing at football matches.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:00 am

I dont think everyone wants to stand at footy these days, but there are still a majority who do. Its about choice. If you think about it too, if you treat people like humans not pigs, its not a difficult thing to keep safe.

Especially with modern stadia.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:35 am

I always stand and leap about at games. Other fans have only asked me to sit down once - in a most bizarre incident when, at the final stages of the playoff final vs Reading, some muppet asked me to sit down! People not willing to stand at exciting games should go back to knitting and fishing and watching tennis and other mind-numbingly tedious 'events'.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:38 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:I always stand and leap about at games. Other fans have only asked me to sit down once - in a most bizarre incident when, at the final stages of the playoff final vs Reading, some muppet asked me to sit down! People not willing to stand at exciting games should go back to knitting and fishing and watching tennis and other mind-numbingly tedious 'events'.

Standing up for the exciting moments in a game is the human's natural response and reaction and no problem with that. Leaping up out of your seat when we're about to score / do score - totally great and can't understand anyone who wouldn't react that way. Standing up throughout a match just coz "you'll do what you want" and couldn't give a monkeys that view you might be obstructing someone else's view is frankly bad manners based on the fact the seats are their for a reason.

Not necessarily the right comparison but have you ever been to a concert, I mean in the tiered seating areas not the ground floor standing area, and some enthusiastic fan starts dancing away from the opening song? You might think "I'd like to do that too" but everyone else is seated and you'll pee off people behind you if you do it, so good manners dictates you refrain. But inside you seethe away at the person in front now blocking your view. So do you tell them to sit down (but you don't really want to dull their enjoyment - as they are a fan just like you, and they are having a great time) but if you join in too everyone around you gets pee-d off with you. Concert etiquette seems to be stay in your seats until the encores then everyone has 10 minutes going mental.

Football is different of course, but curtesy for those around you shouldn't go out the window either.

Can't stand (haha) knitting or fishing but quite like tennis :lol:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:48 am

Hillsborough has nothing to contribute to this argument. It wasn't about standing, it was about cages and the fact the FA used a stadium that had failed its safety certificate. The place was a death trap. In fact, it is more dangerous to stand in a seated area!

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:20 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Hillsborough has nothing to contribute to this argument. It wasn't about standing, it was about cages and the fact the FA used a stadium that had failed its safety certificate. The place was a death trap. In fact, it is more dangerous to stand in a seated area!

Yes Neil but what it led to - the intro of all seating did make it much harder for fans to rush one another with the seats acting as a form of barrier to prevent the Heysel style mass movement for those seeking to do so.That, the removal of fencing, better stewarding and other things all helped diminish the problem of trouble within a ground. Is that not a good thing?

I did check out the safe seating youtube clip and I am a fair minded chap, happy to listen to all sides of a debate and can see that is quite different to what terracing once was. But I remain unconvinced of the need for it.

As for your latter point, I don't get that. But if you think it is more dangerous then all the more reason to use the seat as intended surely?

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:38 am

You are on this thread demanding people to sit down to suit your needs yet are unconvinced over an idea that is fair for all and would 100% stop all this bickering for good.

Take a lie down. Atrocious input.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:42 am

It is wrong to say that Hillsborough proved that you can never have safe standing. And as for safe standing being safer than seats that should be blindingly obvious. The reason for this is that a well planned safe standing area can be evacuated much more easily after an unexpected event.

The 56 people who died in the Bradford fire were all in a seated area. If they had been on a standing terrace when the fire started many more would have been saved. Even if our stadiums are now not made of wood and will not burn so easily we live a world of terrorism and who knows whether we will one day have to start re-designing stadiums to allow people to leave safely and quickly after a device has exploded or a maniac has started shooting?

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:21 am

Hillsborough was an awful tragedy but bringing it in to this discussion on standing at our stadium loses perspective. Maybe the all seater thing is good for clubs who have 40000 plus full houses every week but for us it is completely different.

We are a small club who, on the whole, don't fill our home end, never have massive influxes of people and have no fences. The introduction of a standing area in one stand, or even making the whole bit standing, wouldn't cause one jot of danger.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:24 am

Bernie wrote:It is wrong to say that Hillsborough proved that you can never have safe standing. And as for safe standing being safer than seats that should be blindingly obvious. The reason for this is that a well planned safe standing area can be evacuated much more easily after an unexpected event.

The 56 people who died in the Bradford fire were all in a seated area. If they had been on a standing terrace when the fire started many more would have been saved. Even if our stadiums are now not made of wood and will not burn so easily we live a world of terrorism and who knows whether we will one day have to start re-designing stadiums to allow people to leave safely and quickly after a device has exploded or a maniac has started shooting?

Don't forget:

a) safe standing didn't exist at the time of the Taylor report

b) all seaters don't apply to our Division

c) the only reason we couldn't turn the lower back to terracing tomorrow is the powers that be are paranoid about it. The rules do not stop us doing it.

Safe standing has to be the answer

Dr David Kelly
UTS Regular

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:32 am

Notice that the entrances to the GA terrace are at the front of the terrace making it almost impossible to cause a crush. Hillsboroughs were at the back and we all know what happened. With tiny walls and no fences a crush just couldn't happen. The only way there could be a crush would be outside the ground. We already had safe standing. Reducing capacity is also an option to make things even safer.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:10 am

Would the people who use (I won't say sit in) the Tile Choice Lower Stand all prefer to be in a proper safe standing area? @mrgoose who started this thread would no longer be able to sit in the area where he bought his ticket - are there a lot of people who like the lower area but want to sit in it? If not, if everyone who goes into there would prefer to be on a terrace, then they ought to start a petition asking for the club to change it. I also think that they should have some standing at the away end, since they nearly all stand there anyway.

Dr David Kelly
UTS Regular

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:23 am

Bernie wrote:Would the people who use (I won't say sit in) the Tile Choice Lower Stand all prefer to be in a proper safe standing area? @mrgoose who started this thread would no longer be able to sit in the area where he bought his ticket - are there a lot of people who like the lower area but want to sit in it? If not, if everyone who goes into there would prefer to be on a terrace, then they ought to start a petition asking for the club to change it. I also think that they should have some standing at the away end, since they nearly all stand there anyway.

The current away end should be the new terraced home end. Atmosphere would be back and so would more fans. Stick the away fans down the side in the middle blocks to keep opposing fans apart from each other in the corners. Job done. Fans could raise the money. It really can happen if you want it to.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:59 am

Dr David Kelly wrote:
Bernie wrote:Would the people who use (I won't say sit in) the Tile Choice Lower Stand all prefer to be in a proper safe standing area? @mrgoose who started this thread would no longer be able to sit in the area where he bought his ticket - are there a lot of people who like the lower area but want to sit in it? If not, if everyone who goes into there would prefer to be on a terrace, then they ought to start a petition asking for the club to change it. I also think that they should have some standing at the away end, since they nearly all stand there anyway.

The current away end should be the new terraced home end. Atmosphere would be back and so would more fans. Stick the away fans down the side in the middle blocks to keep opposing fans apart from each other in the corners. Job done. Fans could raise the money. It really can happen if you want it to.

The club's view is that the Council would refuse a safety certificate if we went back to straightforward terracing. Safe standing is different.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:21 am

ideally i'd prefer terracing to safe standing, there were a number of factors combined to cause hillsborough, a situation easily avoided again. 1 of the many shocking aspects was the removal of the crush barriers, a move so inanely stupid it's impossible to fathom the reasoning behind it, and making the disaster almost an inevitability.

it's always struck me that wildly celebrating a goal, bouncing about like idiots (guilty!) is considerably more dangerous in a seated area than terracing, an accident waiting to happen. should we ban this too?

however, i'm resigned to the fact that terracing won't happen, so am happy with the next best option, namely safe standing. it won't be as good as being part of a dynamic crowd, everyone having a designated spot to stand in, but it's gotta be better than what we have now.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:27 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
kpritchard05 wrote:very well said bernie, the club know the people who stand up and they should be told to sit down or to move to another part of the ground where they can stand up and not annoy me.

Fixed that for you.

How are you able to change the wording on peoples posts?

Moderator power!!!!!!! :D

Christ, please don't even joke about it.

To answer the question correctly, when you quote text, you can edit, delete, copy, paste text from the quotation as though it were your own.

It's how loads of posters submit their predictions for the prediction league: quote all the fixtures, delete the ones you don't want, add your scores, delete the [quote=...] at one end and [/quote... jobbie at the other, and you're away.

KC. Thanks for the explanation. My follow up post was being put together while you posted the above. Therefore, I hadn't seen your response until now. I don't agree with altering peoples original posts but If it is an accepted practice on UTS and open to everyone then I guess my comments aren't valid.

PeruSaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:12 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Bernie wrote:It is wrong to say that Hillsborough proved that you can never have safe standing. And as for safe standing being safer than seats that should be blindingly obvious. The reason for this is that a well planned safe standing area can be evacuated much more easily after an unexpected event.

Don't forget:

c) the only reason we couldn't turn the lower back to terracing tomorrow is the powers that be are paranoid about it. The rules do not stop us doing it.

The rules DO stop us going back to terraces; once converted, you can't go back even if you go out of the League. Ludicrous, but true. (see both Luton & Grimsby)

I currently sit in the Middle TC stand; great view, good facilities, but I'd be back downstairs like a shot if there was terracing.....

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:19 pm

Well i stand up at home games but i'm not obstructing anyone's view because i'm on the back row.I tend to stand away as well, but if asked (by a steward or by another fan) i will sit at away games because i'm not guaranteed to be on the back row.If people want to sit at Bescot, they ought to ask the club to replace the seats that are broken as well! There's loads in the lower tier with black plastic bags over them.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:34 pm

PeruSaddler wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Don't forget:

The rules DO stop us going back to terraces; once converted, you can't go back even if you go out of the League. Ludicrous, but true. (see both Luton & Grimsby)

I currently sit in the Middle TC stand; great view, good facilities, but I'd be back downstairs like a shot if there was terracing.....

I meant that there is no rule against terracing at this level, it is just that "they" wouldnt let us. Completely agree in that I sit in the middle tier, but would rather stand

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:58 pm

Super Gabor wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:I always stand and leap about at games. Other fans have only asked me to sit down once - in a most bizarre incident when, at the final stages of the playoff final vs Reading, some muppet asked me to sit down! People not willing to stand at exciting games should go back to knitting and fishing and watching tennis and other mind-numbingly tedious 'events'.

Standing up for the exciting moments in a game is the human's natural response and reaction and no problem with that. Leaping up out of your seat when we're about to score / do score - totally great and can't understand anyone who wouldn't react that way. Standing up throughout a match just coz "you'll do what you want" and couldn't give a monkeys that view you might be obstructing someone else's view is frankly bad manners based on the fact the seats are their for a reason.

Not necessarily the right comparison but have you ever been to a concert, I mean in the tiered seating areas not the ground floor standing area, and some enthusiastic fan starts dancing away from the opening song? You might think "I'd like to do that too" but everyone else is seated and you'll pee off people behind you if you do it, so good manners dictates you refrain. But inside you seethe away at the person in front now blocking your view. So do you tell them to sit down (but you don't really want to dull their enjoyment - as they are a fan just like you, and they are having a great time) but if you join in too everyone around you gets pee-d off with you. Concert etiquette seems to be stay in your seats until the encores then everyone has 10 minutes going mental.

Football is different of course, but curtesy for those around you shouldn't go out the window either.

I refuse to believe that seats exist and therefore your argument is void.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:17 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:

I refuse to believe that seats exist and therefore your argument is void.

Aseatist

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:53 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:Well i stand up at home games but i'm not obstructing anyone's view because i'm on the back row.I tend to stand away as well, but if asked (by a steward or by another fan) i will sit at away games because i'm not guaranteed to be on the back row.If people want to sit at Bescot, they ought to ask the club to replace the seats that are broken as well! There's loads in the lower tier with black plastic bags over them.

Don't think I've ever seen you sit down!

IHTC.
Site Addict

Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:15 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:Well i stand up at home games but i'm not obstructing anyone's view because i'm on the back row.I tend to stand away as well, but if asked (by a steward or by another fan) i will sit at away games because i'm not guaranteed to be on the back row.If people want to sit at Bescot, they ought to ask the club to replace the seats that are broken as well! There's loads in the lower tier with black plastic bags over them.

Thats the women

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:04 pm

Darth Vader wrote:

Don't think I've ever seen you sit down!

I do at some away games if my mate isn't near the back.If we're further down the front or the middle, we have to sit down.

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then