Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

STANDING CONTINGENT APPEAL

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.

Is it right to stand up in the Tile Choice Lower Stand?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:20 pm

Yes, it doesn't matter how I effect other supporters I should be allowed to stand.
53%
No, its unfair to other paying ticket holders to have their view restricted or force them to stand.
47%

Total votes : 66
kshammer
Site Addict

Re: STANDING CONTINGENT APPEAL

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:05 am

I think he's being all clever and ironic and will hit us all with a big whoosh in a minute.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:07 am

Whitters wrote:
kshammer wrote:
Whitters wrote:I've been ignoring this thread because I've no interest in a "standing contingent appeal", assuming it was some sort of appeal for my money.
But the fact that it's reached 8 pages has intrigued me.
Reading the first couple of pages has also shocked me.

This, my dear boys and girls, is a micro picture of what is wrong with society today.
There are people who are happy and in fact demand to break rules and laws.
Some of those who are happy to do that are people who have posted here as seemingly respectable and law-abiding people.

You get the country you deserve so don't be upset or surprised when people ignore rules and laws and it at some stage impacts you or your loved ones.
In fact I hope that happens so something might register.
When you get litter in the streets, graffitti and tagging everywhere and urine in the buses and trains and town centre you're getting what you deserve.
The problem is that the good guys have to suffer this shitting-in-your-own-nest too.

I think it's Sunderland or it might be Everton who have cancelled season tickets for folk who buy a ticket and disregard the conditions.
Seems sensible to me - anything to discourage the selfish me-me-me folks.

Times have changed and some don't have the intelligence to see that.
Get back under your rocks and come out when you can adapt.

So you never ever break a law/rule? :roll:

I try not to.
I make a concious effort not to.
But maybe I was speeding today.
Maybe I didn't completely stop at a stop sign.
Maybe I copied a mate's new Brittany Spears CD (just kidding).
If I go to a concert or game I don't light up a fag because I respect laws and rules and recognise they are made to make the world a place which is comfortable to live in.
It's about respecting one another's rights.
At a game I don't stand up and obscure another person's view.

What I'm saying is that I'm a bit shocked that the majority of people on here have voted and stated that they are happy to deliberately go against the terms of their entry to the stadium.
And disrespect other's rights.
And I would accordingly expect the club to take some sort of action.
It's not for me or anyone else to take action as KC intimates, it's for the club to take action.
And if the majority of folks are happy to ignore rules then to me it says a lot about society.
There's a saying that goes something like "evil will triumph if good men (and women) do nothing".
I'm not saying this is evil but it's symptomatic of a greater ill.

KC goes on about messageboards being a waste of time for discussion but the club may note this thread and take action.
Also intelligent readers may rethink their stance.
The "others", who think that entering a football stadium is a last bastion of maledom - being able to swear, yell insanely, disrespect other peoples rights, and do other immature things in public - can't be helped.
We just have to hope they don't reproduce.
The problem is it's probably the only thing they know how to do.

I'm unable to attend more than the odd few home games, so the "standing/sitting" problem hasn't affected me. I therefore don't have extreme views one way or the other, except to have sympathy for anyone with fairly small children whose experience is possibly tarnished by not being able to see what's going on.

A safe standing area nominated by the club would seem to be the sensible way to go, so that all parties could do what pleased them best.

I also think you're being a little harsh on Whitters, which is why I've quoted his post above. He talks a lot of sense.

(and for those who want this kind of thing...............WHOOOOSH) :wink:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:14 am

I don't see what Sunderland revoking some season tickets has to do with it all. I don't support Sunderland, I don't have a season ticket either, I can turn up at Walsall any game I want to, and sit pretty much where ever I want. There lies the problem. We don't have the luxury of a full stadium every week, we can't really afford to upset fans so they don't come back, whether it be cos they stand, or because they feel hard done to because someone is standing in front of them.

For those who want to stand, I suggest you throw your support behind the safe standing, have a look in to it see how you go about it, if it is a possibility. For those who feel hard done to cos someone is standing in front of you, seriously choose one of the many empty seats in the next block, the view from block 4 is awful anyway, I'd never sit or stand there even if it were free.

Seems to me there is a case that now we are winning there isn't much else to moan about, so got to find something.

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:29 am

Whitters wrote:
kshammer wrote:
Whitters wrote:I've been ignoring this thread because I've no interest in a "standing contingent appeal", assuming it was some sort of appeal for my money.
But the fact that it's reached 8 pages has intrigued me.
Reading the first couple of pages has also shocked me.

This, my dear boys and girls, is a micro picture of what is wrong with society today.
Some of those who are happy to do that are people who have posted here as seemingly respectable and law-abiding people.

You get the country you deserve so don't be upset or surprised when people ignore rules and laws and it at some stage impacts you or your loved ones.
When you get litter in the streets, graffitti and tagging everywhere and urine in the buses and trains and town centre you're getting what you deserve.
The problem is that the good guys have to suffer this shitting-in-your-own-nest too.

I think it's Sunderland or it might be Everton who have cancelled season tickets for folk who buy a ticket and disregard the conditions.
Seems sensible to me - anything to discourage the selfish me-me-me folks.

So you never ever break a law/rule? :roll:

I try not to.
I make a concious effort not to.
But maybe I was speeding today.
Maybe I didn't completely stop at a stop sign.
Maybe I copied a mate's new Brittany Spears CD (just kidding).
If I go to a concert or game I don't light up a fag because I respect laws and rules and recognise they are made to make the world a place which is comfortable to live in.
It's about respecting one another's rights.
At a game I don't stand up and obscure another person's view.

What I'm saying is that I'm a bit shocked that the majority of people on here have voted and stated that they are happy to deliberately go against the terms of their entry to the stadium.
And disrespect other's rights.
And I would accordingly expect the club to take some sort of action.
It's not for me or anyone else to take action as KC intimates, it's for the club to take action.
And if the majority of folks are happy to ignore rules then to me it says a lot about society.
There's a saying that goes something like "evil will triumph if good men (and women) do nothing".
I'm not saying this is evil but it's symptomatic of a greater ill.

KC goes on about messageboards being a waste of time for discussion but the club may note this thread and take action.
Also intelligent readers may rethink their stance.
The "others", who think that entering a football stadium is a last bastion of maledom - being able to swear, yell insanely, disrespect other peoples rights, and do other immature things in public - can't be helped.
We just have to hope they don't reproduce.
The problem is it's probably the only thing they know how to do.

I stand by the wall at the back. Should I be seated purely because the rule says so or should I do as I please?

Also, you may mention speeding, copying CDs etc (albeit in jest) but they are still minor rule breaking that could also be indicative of the problems of modern society. You speed so have no care for other motorists or pedestrians and so are to blame for todays ills. You copied a CD once - then you are taking money away from the music industry and so people like you are taking money out of the economy and making music more expensive for others.

Inconsiderate fool. It's people like you who make standing people like me sick. :D

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:30 am

Whitters wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Whitters wrote:
King Crimson wrote:My issue is that another aspect of the zeitgeist is:

The world isn't as it should be, so I'll grumble meaninglessly on a messageboard rather than do something.

Same with the club's ownership, same with some blokes standing when they shouldn't.

Live with it, or deal with it.

KC - you're a scream.
When the lawless mobs are smashing down your door wanting to burn down your house and rape and torture your family then I'll smilingly "grumble meaninglessly on a messageboard rather than do something".
You're a quotes man aren't you - have a look at some Kissinger quotes where he talks about the precarious existence of civilisation.
They're coming to get you, and you'll be one of the first.

I personally would just pick somewhere else to go.

Exactly what I would expect.
Would you also run away from racist comments and stuff like that?
Turm your back on grannies being beaten etc etc
Again, I would expect so.

Oh dear. Yet more character deconstruction from you. Having left the last three or four attempts with your tail between your legs, I had hoped we'd seen the last of such outbursts. I guess not.

Others have already lampooned your hysterical analogies, so I won't bother. I wouldn't want to derail the thread.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:09 pm

ah, the old graf chestnut. it always mystifies me how people can throw such a creative artform in with (in this case) breaking & entry, arson, rape, torture & violent assault of oaps. did anyone else see the work shok1 did on the disused foundry where the college now stands? breathtaking, and better than the vast majority of what appears in the new art gallery. sorry to digress.

whitters, you realize you dragged up the "evil prospers..." quote in the paragraph following one where you'd stated the standing issue wasn't your problem to solve? make your mind up!

ciscokid
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:37 pm

Basically if you stand up in the knowledge that you are restricting others view----with no just cause, i.e.( people in front of you have stood up restricting your view), then you are an inconsiderate A-Hole

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:27 pm

9 pages. Nearly 10. :roll: :roll: :roll:

walsallfan

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:31 pm

This thread is a joke. You should be able to stand up at the match if you want to.

I propose a counter campaign, a type of campaign not seen since the Unity Campaign which saw the successful removal of the previous owners who used to milk the club for their pension fund.

The campaign will be know as: Saddlers Initiative To Demonstrate On Why Nostanding!

I will be producing T-Shirts with the slogan to be worn inside the ground so we can sock it to the man, please let me know who wants one so I know how many to produce. Let's see what the stewards do when we stand proudly with our t-shirts at the next home match.

ciscokid
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:12 pm

Looking at the poll output it just goes to show how many inconsiderate people there are. It's nothing to do with football. It's all about doing what I want to do and stuff the rest.

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:24 pm

ciscokid wrote:Looking at the poll output it just goes to show how many inconsiderate people there are. It's nothing to do with football. It's all about doing what I want to do and stuff the rest.

Yes, I'm amazed.
But I still retain a belief in human nature - just.

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:33 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Whitters wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Whitters wrote:
King Crimson wrote:My issue is that another aspect of the zeitgeist is:

The world isn't as it should be, so I'll grumble meaninglessly on a messageboard rather than do something.

Same with the club's ownership, same with some blokes standing when they shouldn't.

KC - you're a scream.
When the lawless mobs are smashing down your door wanting to burn down your house and rape and torture your family then I'll smilingly "grumble meaninglessly on a messageboard rather than do something".
You're a quotes man aren't you - have a look at some Kissinger quotes where he talks about the precarious existence of civilisation.

Oh dear. Yet more character deconstruction from you. Having left the last three or four attempts with your tail between your legs, I had hoped we'd seen the last of such outbursts. I guess not.

Others have already lampooned your hysterical analogies, so I won't bother. I wouldn't want to derail the thread.

Someone above suggested you are a teacher?
Lordy lordy.
If that is so then that explains a lot.
Does the "Save the children" organisation cover children being influenced by folk like you?

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:43 pm

Whitters wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Whitters wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Whitters wrote:
King Crimson"]My issue is that another aspect of the zeitgeist is:

[quote="Whitters wrote:KC - you're a scream.

Lordy lordy.
Does the "Save the children" organisation cover children being influenced by folk like you?

And you are complaining about people disrespecting others :roll:

Cuzo24
Glitterati

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:45 pm

on another note , whens the drum meant to be allowed in ?

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:47 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Whitters - here some prose for you:

You're a jolly well idiot.

:D

Hope that helps!

Another meaningful post by our man in the East.
I presume you're still over there?
I'll be in Vietnam on business later this year - I'll pm you where I'm staying so we must have a drink and a chat about WFC eh?
Always nice to catch up with ex-pats.

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:06 pm

tinned wrote:And you are complaining about people disrespecting others :roll:

It's interesting being on a messageboard for years.
You start to build a picture of the posters and their lifestyles, beliefs and character.
You start to respect certain posters and you start to see character flaws in others.
Sometimes someone's post will reveal a side to a person you never suspected.
It's a community of disparate people who all support one team.
This thread has been revealing as many I thought were ok now reveal themselves to be just in it for themselves.
Sad, but hey, life continues....
But it has been a top thread.

Has the club said anything about standing yet?
If not, a call to the relevant authorites will start the wheels moving.
In fact this thread wasn't needed at all.

Oh, please note: it would be corny in the exteme to say "well Whitters, when it comes to character flaws etc etc...

wivenj
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:20 pm

I agree Whitters, there is some crazy people on here, some should sit down.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:46 pm

latviancheese wrote:9 pages. Nearly 10. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Could do with the Villa having another bad result soon, before this thread takes over.

kevin
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:03 am

Whitters wrote:Reading the first couple of pages has also shocked me.

When you get litter in the streets, graffitti and tagging everywhere and urine in the buses and trains and town centre is you're getting what you deserve.
The problem is that the good guys have to suffer the guanoing-in-your-own-nest too.

Absolutely TOP POST by Whitters...............and I don't know the bloke from Adam.

When I read some of the stuff from people who claim to be teachers ............or state " I'm at Uni' don't you know ?" ...................I despair.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:23 am

Whitters wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Whitters - here some prose for you:

You're a jolly well idiot.

:D

Hope that helps!

Another meaningful post by our man in the East.
I presume you're still over there?
I'll be in Vietnam on business later this year - I'll pm you where I'm staying so we must have a drink and a chat about WFC eh?
Always nice to catch up with ex-pats.

Yes, but I'm now based in Bangkok. I'd be happy to meet up and show you some of the entertainment areas. Hopefully these will serve as some kind of distraction from obsessing over what King Crimson is wearing, what King Crimson is eating at this moment and if he's enjoying it, where King Crimson lives, what King Crimson would do in certain situations and what he looks like naked.

Although I'm pretty sure that you could find someone to dress up and pretend to be a King Crimson if you ask them nicely enough. Perhaps you have a picture? :D

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:37 am

Whitters wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Whitters wrote:
King Crimson wrote:I personally would just pick somewhere else to go.

Lordy lordy.

Just need a 'this is how Nazi Germany started' comment to complete this nonsense.

#morehysteriathandefleppard

windowman
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:11 am

ciscokid wrote:Basically if you stand up in the knowledge that you are restricting others view----with no just cause, i.e.( people in front of you have stood up restricting your view), then you are an inconsiderate A-Hole

if it was anywhere else in the ground i would tend to agree, but the blocks behind the goals have allways been singing/standing,if you go in those blocks what would you expect,

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:37 am

I can see a lot of poster calling for the club to do something when in reality they won't. They'd be too much in fear of the reaction. Whatever the do, may it be ejecting those who stand, or tell those who aren't happy to move, the club would end up in the wrong. The last thing they want is another PR disaster with what, based on recent years, is an already dwindling fan base.

To those who are that adamant on sitting down, just shuffle over a block or two. You may not want to, it may not be ideal, but at the end of the day, would you rather see the match or spend the best part of two hours moaning and seeing nothing? For everyone's enjoyment, it'd be for the best.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:35 pm

This is how Nazi Germany started.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:48 pm

ShyTallKnight wrote:This is how Nazi Germany started.

He's right, you know. Look, they're all standing:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:52 pm

Bugger Apple. What didn't that work?

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:24 pm

a lot of the problem here is within the wording of the poll, which is so heavily weighted to make it a bit of a joke, really. i chose to read it as standing against seating, because that can be encapsulated between 2 options. the ts's approach requires at least another 2. so i, like many others i suspect, voted standing, while never dreaming of inconveniencing fellow fans, but didn't have that voting option. i'll stand if i'm at the back or those behind me are standing. otherwise, i sit. that said, listening to people complain, week after week, instead of simply moving seat & solving their problem, strikes me as equally pathetic as the wording in the poll.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:06 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:bother Apple. What didn't that work?

Because you linked to the internet page, not direct to the image file. Fixed it for you.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:07 pm

ShyTallKnight wrote:This is how Nazi Germany started.

I now invoke Godwin's Law and claim victory in this discussion! :D

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:16 pm

Exile wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:bother Apple. What didn't that work?

Because you linked to the internet page, not direct to the image file. Fixed it for you.

Thanks! The pitch looks a bit narrow there, though, doesn't it?

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then