Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

STANDING CONTINGENT APPEAL

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.

Is it right to stand up in the Tile Choice Lower Stand?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:20 pm

Yes, it doesn't matter how I effect other supporters I should be allowed to stand.
53%
No, its unfair to other paying ticket holders to have their view restricted or force them to stand.
47%

Total votes : 66
PT
Site Addict

Re: STANDING CONTINGENT APPEAL

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:17 pm

kpritchard05 wrote:The following acts are arrestable offences under the Football (Offences) Act 1991, as amended:

Nobody may stand in any seating area whilst play is in progress.Persistent standing in seated areas whilst play is in progress is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection from the Ground.

& also:

The Club reserves absolutely the right to eject from the Ground any person failing to comply with any of the Ground Regulations or whose presence within the Ground is, or could, reasonably be construed as constituting a source of danger, nuisance or annoyance to any other person.This could lead to further action by the Club including, but not limited to, the withdrawal of any season ticket (without reimbursement) and other benefits.

Entry to the Ground shall constitute acceptance of the Ground Regulations.

Hope the police are around at the next game as they can start to either eject/arrest some of these people who persist to stand & about time the club starts taking action against these people who fail to comply with the ground regulations as by coming in your all comply to these rules!!

So the club reserves the right to prevent fun.

They tried this three seasons ago and had a PR disaster on their hands that made them laughing stocks. The Chief Executive who masterminded this clampdown on the few people who were "spoiling it for everybody else" was relieved of his main duties shortly thereafter.

The club then couldn't wait to cosy up with the main protagonists over a cuppa and a garibaldi.

They won't make that mistake again.

Cuzo24
Glitterati

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:17 pm

PT wrote:
kpritchard05 wrote:May I ask where you sit and how much you paid for your season ticket PT? & also how would you feel if your son couldn't see the match after paying good money to watch matches?

Upstairs in the middle on the second row (mainly), buts occassionally; upstairs on the front row in the middle, upstairs at the back on the right, upstairs in the middle in the middle, upstairs on the front to the left a bit, upstairs at the back of the front in the middle, on the top right hand corner of the white W and maybe a few others.

It's all about the upstairs for me. :D But the point is that I'm not actually nailed to any partcular seat. There's loads of empty ones so me and the boy do move about up there -it used to be because he got bored so a change of scenery was good- but now it's more about a different perspective if we can't get seats to sit near his grandad which to be honest is rare these days.

Haven't had a season ticket for a couple of years now, not that when I had one I felt compelled to sit in the seat allocated, since my lad started playing himself so do about 12 homes and 12 aways each season at present (these Sunday games have been a boon this season!)

Your last question about how I'd feel if he couldn't see is absolutely moot. That has never happened and never will. Firstly because Bescot offers up a vast array of seating possibilities that means we can move about. There's always a seat nearby with a view. Secondly, at away games we often have a sea of seats and a piss-poor support that means again he can always see (there's a good picture on the official facebook site of us both at Bury this season - about six rows to ourselves!). On the rare occasion when I know that the nature of our away support will change a la Shrewsbury, he doesn't come and to be honest I don't complain because I enjoy an ale, a stand-up and a sing at the welsh as much as the next man :wink:

finally someone with a bit of common sense

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:19 pm

kshammer wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:[modded].

Nawtee.

Aim for behind the goal... you should be ok there. I'm at the back with my mate and everyone round me stands, as do many in the row down and so on.

nothing nawtee at all mate, did not find it funny, was in block 4 for a few seasons. moved to block one with friends, told to sit today even though I was back row, so told him to do one and use his brain (admit I had a few beers but still you sit back row of the lower, don't moan when fans stand up).

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:19 pm

kpritchard05 wrote:
PT wrote:
kpritchard05 wrote:May I ask where you sit and how much you paid for your season ticket PT? & also how would you feel if your son couldn't see the match after paying good money to watch matches?

Upstairs in the middle on the second row (mainly), buts occassionally; upstairs on the front row in the middle, upstairs at the back on the right, upstairs in the middle in the middle, upstairs on the front to the left a bit, upstairs at the back of the front in the middle, on the top right hand corner of the white W and maybe a few others.

It's all about the upstairs for me. :D But the point is that I'm not actually nailed to any partcular seat. There's loads of empty ones so me and the boy do move about up there -it used to be because he got bored so a change of scenery was good- but now it's more about a different perspective if we can't get seats to sit near his grandad which to be honest is rare these days.

Haven't had a season ticket for a couple of years now, not that when I had one I felt compelled to sit in the seat allocated, since my lad started playing himself so do about 12 homes and 12 aways each season at present (these Sunday games have been a boon this season!)

Your last question about how I'd feel if he couldn't see is absolutely moot. That has never happened and never will. Firstly because Bescot offers up a vast array of seating possibilities that means we can move about. There's always a seat nearby with a view. Secondly, at away games we often have a sea of seats and a piss-poor support that means again he can always see (there's a good picture on the official facebook site of us both at Bury this season - about six rows to ourselves!). On the rare occasion when I know that the nature of our away support will change a la Shrewsbury, he doesn't come and to be honest I don't complain because I enjoy an ale, a stand-up and a sing at the welsh as much as the next man :wink:

so really you can not see my point of view as we have to put up with it every home match and as you haven't experienced my view then that is rather wrong of you to tell me to move as i'm not the one who is actually spoiling it for many fans, and i'm sure they can make an atmosphere in the ground but do they really need to stand up to create an atmosphere??

He doesn't experience what you experience because he moves.

If you don't want to experience what you experience, move. There's no shortage of alternatives with views of the game that would be at least as good.

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:20 pm

kpritchard05 wrote:
PT wrote:

so really you can not see my point of view as we have to put up with it every home match and as you haven't experienced my view then that is rather wrong of you to tell me to move as i'm not the one who is actually spoiling it for many fans, and i'm sure they can make an atmosphere in the ground but do they really need to stand up to create an atmosphere??

Genuine question, not trying to be antagonistic, but why don't you move stands/upstairs?

kpritchard05

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:21 pm

Cuzo24 wrote:what a shame this comes on the same day we've had our highest home attendance more months and now people are threatening with posts about being arrested. pathetic. block 4 is where people stand , i go there to stand because people stand there , if i wanted to sit , i'd sit in block 1 , 2 , 3 , 5 , 6 F2G upper (any block) , Five rivers (any block) , fellows stand(any block).

i guarantee if everyone was forced to sit at the game , and they would have to enforce it to everyone who stands at the very back all along the top row , attendances would drop. its football not tennis ffs

but your not allowed to stand as per ground regulations don't know how many times need to say it but its a seated area not a standing area, if you want to stand put a suggestion in to the club to make the away end a standing end. its a shame we only have crap stewards who are scared to do their job instead of doing their job as they are employed to do.

kpritchard05

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:23 pm

Worsul wrote:
kpritchard05 wrote:
PT wrote:

Genuine question, not trying to be antagonistic, but why don't you move stands/upstairs?

i have a season ticket and have sat in that seat for the last 13 years and have a lot of friends around me so would need to move at least 15 people, plus would also have to pay more to sit upstairs or another stand which i shouldn't have to do

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:25 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
kshammer wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:Not here either - mod.

Nawtee.

Aim for behind the goal... you should be ok there. I'm at the back with my mate and everyone round me stands, as do many in the row down and so on.

nothing nawtee at all mate, did not find it funny, was in block 4 for a few seasons. moved to block one with friends, told to sit today even though I was back row, so told him to do one and use his brain (admit I had a few beers but still you sit back row of the lower, don't moan when fans stand up).

There's usually empty seats round by us... can't you get your boys to move? We all stand, young and old, so noone cares.

They have tried to sit us down every now and again when they're on a period but everyone just ignores them.

To have a go when they're back row is pathetic and shows their petty mindedness.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:30 pm

If you've been sat there for 13 years it must be positively glorious for you now, because sitting there when it was still a terrace must have been much worse surely?

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:31 pm

PT wrote:If you've been sat there for 13 years it must be positively glorious for you now, because sitting there when it was still a terrace must have been much worse surely?

:lol:

kpritchard05

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:33 pm

PT wrote:If you've been sat there for 13 years it must be positively glorious for you now, because sitting there when it was still a terrace must have been much worse surely?

had my seat there aslong as the seats have been in and have been in that stand for 13 years

DavidWFC2010
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:36 pm

Haven't read all messages in this thread however I fervently believe that the individuals whom wish to stand should purchase tickets at the back of the section where nobody's view is restricted however I also agree with others in relation to the club having designated standing area, however would this really solve the problem?

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:41 pm

kshammer wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
kshammer wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:Nor here - mod

Nawtee.

There's usually empty seats round by us... can't you get your boys to move? We all stand, young and old, so noone cares.

They have tried to sit us down every now and again when they're on a period but everyone just ignores them.

To have a go when they're back row is pathetic and shows their petty mindedness.

Few of us on matchday, maybe 10 who enjoy their spot there, many ST holders that wouldn't fit behind the goal or want to, my ST is still for Block 4 near the back but I moved to go round there due to more than enough space.

All the bad things in life to moan/worry about he starts at this, so I put him straight without resorting to fighting, he is a middle aged fella so he should know the score regarding terracing and the like. Probably a main stand seater at FP, cause the Street Enders would have told him where to go no doubt.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:43 pm

kshammer wrote:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:44 pm

Join the safe standing movement - it's the only answer. In the meantime, it's bloody annoying. Today I missed Brandy hitting the post because two people stood up at the crucial ,moment. Sure I could move, but IT WAS TOO BLOODY LATE BY THEN!

PT
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:47 pm

kpritchard05 wrote:

had my seat there aslong as the seats have been in and have been in that stand for 13 years

Nope, let's do the maths.

Cardiff 2001. Weren't in then.

Season after (01 - 02) the Graydon/Lee season. Distinctly remember standing on the last game at home to Bradford. The GAS was packed that day so the view from your seat at the back must have been awful.

02 - 03 - now, this was the season I think it went up. We were at the away end early doors. But then could stand again downstairs for the rest of the season as the building was done but the seats weren't in. Remember a night game standing there versus Palace when Andy Johnson score late-on. when the seats went in upstairs we had standing downstairs and seating upstairs for a bit. I remember that well because our gang got split up for the rest of that season as some wanted to milk the terrace for as long as it was possible whilst others wanted to take up their new luxurious view from upstairs.

03-04 - downstairs was seated.

So it's 9 full seasons. I know that you were trying to make a case that the seat had some kind of provenance that made it morally your right to hold, but 9 years is nowt and you and your mates could all move about twenty feet to the right or left and stay seated to your hearts content. Honest, it'll be OK.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:50 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Join the safe standing movement - it's the only answer. In the meantime, it's bloody annoying. Today I missed Brandy hitting the post because two people stood up at the crucial ,moment. Sure I could move, but IT WAS TOO BLOODY LATE BY THEN!

I have, don't worry, still standing at the football in the meantime though, I sit down on the toilet not to watch WFC.

I'm as loyal as you can get but home games are that cack now I could pack them in tomorrow.

kpritchard05

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:52 pm

PT wrote:
kpritchard05 wrote:

Season after (01 - 02) the Graydon/Lee season. Distinctly remember standing on the last game at home to Bradford. The GAS was packed that day so the view from your seat at the back must have been awful.

02 - 03 - now, this was the season I think it went up. We were at the away end early doors. But then could stand again downstairs for the rest of the season as the building was done but the seats weren't in. Remember a night game standing there versus Palace when Andy Johnson score late-on. when the seats went in upstairs we had standing downstairs and seating upstairs for a bit. I remember that well because our gang got split up for the rest of that season as some wanted to milk the terrace for as long as it was possible whilst others wanted to take up their new luxurious view from upstairs.

So it's 9 full seasons. I know that you were trying to make a case that the seat had some kind of provenance that made it morally your right to hold, but 9 years is nowt and you and your mates could all move about twenty feet to the right or left and stay seated to your hearts content. Honest, it'll be OK.

or the people who want to stand could move twenty feet to the right or left, your still forgetting they shouldn't be standing!!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:07 pm

Out of all the places to sit, why did you sit in the block where everyone has stood up for many years.

:roll:

Perkwins

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:08 pm

I sit in the lower scum bag stand. I can see all of the 90 minutes of football delights on offer. I simply choose to sit in this section so I can see the action as well as enjoy some form of football atmosphere.

I sit in the block next to the 'singing section' which delivers light entertainment during any low points.

My point is simple, lets enjoy our current good football whether you are a stander or sitter. If you are struggling to see the action in your current seat then simply move a single block like I did. So easy really as we have so many empty seats!

My question to you is your glass always half empty?

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:16 pm

kpritchard05 wrote:
PT wrote:
kpritchard05 wrote:

or the people who want to stand could move twenty feet to the right or left, your still forgetting they shouldn't be standing!!

Why do you go?

Just watch football on telly and go to the library now and again.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:18 pm

Perkwins wrote:My question to you is your glass always half empty?

You assume that the glass can be seen and that the observer hasn't chosen to lock himself in a trunk whilst bemoaning the lack of vantage points for partly-filled glasses.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:19 pm

It's not like the stadium is jam fudge packed - just move. :roll:

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:20 pm

latviancheese wrote:Out of all the places to sit, why did you sit in the block where everyone has stood up for many years.

To be fair, it is more expensive in other stands.

I can see both sides of the argument. The only solution I can see is for a 'zero tolerance' block where stewards clamp down on anyone standing, but are more lenient for other blocks and this is communicated to fans at the start of the season. If you're then daft enough to go in the wrong block that's your own fault.

kpritchard05

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:24 pm

Perkwins wrote:I sit in the lower scum bag stand. I can see all of the 90 minutes of football delights on offer. I simply choose to sit in this section so I can see the action as well as enjoy some form of football atmosphere.

I sit in the block next to the 'singing section' which delivers light entertainment during any low points.

My point is simple, lets enjoy our current good football whether you are a stander or sitter. If you are struggling to see the action in your current seat then simply move a single block like I did. So easy really as we have so many empty seats!

My question to you is your glass always half empty?

its because i've paid good money for my seat and it didn't have restricted view on it otherwise i wouldn't sit there.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:26 pm

Worsul wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Out of all the places to sit, why did you sit in the block where everyone has stood up for many years.

To be fair, it is more expensive in other stands.

I can see both sides of the argument. The only solution I can see is for a 'zero tolerance' block where stewards clamp down on anyone standing, but are more lenient for other blocks and this is communicated to fans at the start of the season. If you're then daft enough to go in the wrong block that's your own fault.

Good idea.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:33 pm

PT wrote:
So the club reserves the right to prevent fun.

They tried this three seasons ago and had a PR disaster on their hands that made them laughing stocks.

FREEDOM OF SEATS!

kpritchard05

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:48 pm

kshammer wrote:
kpritchard05 wrote:
PT wrote:
kpritchard05 wrote:

Why do you go?

Just watch football on telly and go to the library now and again.

yep i have to watch the football league show so i can actually see what happened at the match!!

mister marmite
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:02 am

I read the chaps first message, have no need to read anything said in between.

He is 100% right, Bescot is an all seater stadium, Standing up disappeared when the terracing disappeared.

Yes people will be on their feet for parts of the game. Anyone persistently doing it needs to be warned, then removed from the ground quite simple really.

Rules is Rules.

I would not object to taking up all the seats in the Lower Seats and putting terracing back in. If people are that keen on it - start a fund to pay for it - then agree with the Club that you'd pay a premium on top of the ticket price to stand there next season. Simple.

mrgoose

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:13 am

Thank you mister marmite . I have been quietly listening to people comments / opinions and I think yours is the most intelligent so far.

Yes I agree with the whole atmosphere its better to stand, yes terrace standing is better but Walsall Fc have made a decision that Lower is seating and supporters should sit.

My example today is people also like to smoke, at fellows park you could smoke, for some time at Bescot you could smoke, but Walsall Fc have decided not to allow smoking (also due to the smoking ban) so should we also allow supporters to smoke? Should the stewards ignore this because it might upset smokers. Where do we draw a line in what Walsall Fc rules are broken and what rules the stewards ignore/ turn a blind eye to.

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then