Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

STANDING CONTINGENT APPEAL

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.

Is it right to stand up in the Tile Choice Lower Stand?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:20 pm

Yes, it doesn't matter how I effect other supporters I should be allowed to stand.
53%
No, its unfair to other paying ticket holders to have their view restricted or force them to stand.
47%

Total votes : 66
Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Re: STANDING CONTINGENT APPEAL

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:04 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:
Willenhall Saddler wrote:Well i stand up at home games but i'm not obstructing anyone's view because i'm on the back row.I tend to stand away as well, but if asked (by a steward or by another fan) i will sit at away games because i'm not guaranteed to be on the back row.If people want to sit at Bescot, they ought to ask the club to replace the seats that are broken as well! There's loads in the lower tier with black plastic bags over them.

Thats the women

:lol:

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:35 pm

So you've unsuccessfully attempted to police some standers on here.The next logical step (if you're genuinely concerned, rather than just spoiling for a bit of keyboard scrapping) is for you to write to the club. I'll even dig out the email address for you; [email protected] .

I await with interest to see if you do.

Cuzo24
Glitterati

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:28 pm

im going to send one in favour of standing incertain sections on the grounds the atmosphere would be shocking and numbers would dwindle if not allowed.

kevin
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:34 pm

chestersaddler wrote: Somehow it ay the same singing when you are sitting down.

Elton John does it all the while !!!

Cuzo24
Glitterati

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:37 pm

he's a watford fan though , dont count :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:41 pm

kevin wrote:

He also reckons Saturday night's all right for fighting, and I don't condone that either. :D

Cuzo24
Glitterati

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:25 pm

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:03 am

kevin wrote:

Yeah and have you heard him? He's terrible :lol:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:14 am

He's still standing.

dirtyduck

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:25 am

THe "new"stand looked superb when it was initially seated upper and terraced lower.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:07 pm

Theres been times ive been aware of standing infront of an older bloke who is sitting behind me. I dont piss and moan, i move a few seats across.

Not difficult.

Man up and get over it.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:19 pm

What an absolute load of complete tosh. Read the first page of this thread and that's about as much as I can be bothered. The middle 2 blocks have historicly always stood, when the Gilbert Alsop closed and was replaced with seats, people congregated in the middle AND STOOD (probably 5% of the ground). We play in a big empty stadium, if some plonker decides he wants to go and sit amongst people standing when the other 95% of the spectators in the stadium is seated then that's his own problem.

Sums up the joke that this country is

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:29 pm

saddlerJP wrote:What an absolute load of complete tosh. Read the first page of this thread and that's about as much as I can be bothered. The middle 2 blocks have historicly always stood, when the Gilbert Alsop closed and was replaced with seats, people congregated in the middle AND STOOD (probably 5% of the ground). We play in a big empty stadium, if some plonker decides he wants to go and sit amongst people standing when the other 95% of the spectators in the stadium is seated then that's his own problem.

Unfortunately, the argument has been mixed up by plonkers who stand where people want to sit, as well as the other way round

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:32 pm

Unfortunately, the argument has been mixed up by plonkers who stand where people want to sit, as well as the other way round

That's not the case though is it Neil

Cuzo24
Glitterati

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:47 pm

saddlerJP wrote:What an absolute load of complete tosh. Read the first page of this thread and that's about as much as I can be bothered. The middle 2 blocks have historicly always stood, when the Gilbert Alsop closed and was replaced with seats, people congregated in the middle AND STOOD (probably 5% of the ground). We play in a big empty stadium, if some plonker decides he wants to go and sit amongst people standing when the other 95% of the spectators in the stadium is seated then that's his own problem.

this is very true. i enjoy standing at games, i used to sit in block 2 but decided to move to 4 to stand up instead of standing in front of people , the people who stand have been labelled as idiots , but if i was an idiot i wouldve stopped in block 2 and stood up in front of other people , if i didnt fancy standing for the odd game i would probably go in one of the other end blocks or upper tier instead of going to the middle of a standing group , sit down and expect to see.
i'm not posting on this topic anymore now! too daft. :evil: going to fill in that safe standing link neil posted tomorrow. now that would be good! :D

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:11 pm

This would have made a decent question at the fans forum. Hopefully the club will look again at a designated singing block in the upper and lower tiers. Most would be happy and the few season ticket holders that don't want to sit in this area, will have to move.

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:30 am

I've been ignoring this thread because I've no interest in a "standing contingent appeal", assuming it was some sort of appeal for my money.
But the fact that it's reached 8 pages has intrigued me.
Reading the first couple of pages has also shocked me.

This, my dear boys and girls, is a micro picture of what is wrong with society today.
There are people who are happy and in fact demand to break rules and laws.
Some of those who are happy to do that are people who have posted here as seemingly respectable and law-abiding people.

You get the country you deserve so don't be upset or surprised when people ignore rules and laws and it at some stage impacts you or your loved ones.
In fact I hope that happens so something might register.
When you get litter in the streets, graffitti and tagging everywhere and urine in the buses and trains and town centre you're getting what you deserve.
The problem is that the good guys have to suffer this shitting-in-your-own-nest too.

I think it's Sunderland or it might be Everton who have cancelled season tickets for folk who buy a ticket and disregard the conditions.
Seems sensible to me - anything to discourage the selfish me-me-me folks.

Times have changed and some don't have the intelligence to see that.
Get back under your rocks and come out when you can adapt.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:57 am

My issue is that another aspect of the zeitgeist is:

The world isn't as it should be, so I'll grumble meaninglessly on a messageboard rather than do something.

Same with the club's ownership, same with some blokes standing when they shouldn't.

Live with it, or deal with it.

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:26 am

King Crimson wrote:My issue is that another aspect of the zeitgeist is:

The world isn't as it should be, so I'll grumble meaninglessly on a messageboard rather than do something.

Same with the club's ownership, same with some blokes standing when they shouldn't.

KC - you're a scream.
When the lawless mobs are smashing down your door wanting to burn down your house and rape and torture your family then I'll smilingly "grumble meaninglessly on a messageboard rather than do something".
You're a quotes man aren't you - have a look at some Kissinger quotes where he talks about the precarious existence of civilisation.
They're coming to get you, and you'll be one of the first.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:36 am

Whitters wrote:I love bring controlled. To me, a law, rule or bylaw is something to be unconditionally obeyed at all times because it must have been put in place for a really good reason by people far cleverer than me. How dare you all question such supreme authority! Ever.

Fixed that for you. :roll:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:14 am

Whitters wrote:

KC - you're a scream.
When the lawless mobs are smashing down your door wanting to burn down your house and rape and torture your family then I'll smilingly "grumble meaninglessly on a messageboard rather than do something".
You're a quotes man aren't you - have a look at some Kissinger quotes where he talks about the precarious existence of civilisation.

If you've read the entire thread, you'll see clearly that I'm not really concerned with the rights and wrongs of this. But with hundreds of seats vacant in the immediate vicinity, I personally would just pick somewhere else to go.

On the raping and pillaging, again I think I'd be inclined to move my family away from the impending danger rather than wait for my pc to boot up so I could post a thread on here or write to the police commissioner on how lacklustre I think his service provision is.

It's called pragmatism. I can find a decent quotation if you like. Or I could post about scones instead.

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:09 am

Whitters wrote:I've been ignoring this thread because I've no interest in a "standing contingent appeal", assuming it was some sort of appeal for my money.

This, my dear boys and girls, is a micro picture of what is wrong with society today.
Some of those who are happy to do that are people who have posted here as seemingly respectable and law-abiding people.

You get the country you deserve so don't be upset or surprised when people ignore rules and laws and it at some stage impacts you or your loved ones.
When you get litter in the streets, graffitti and tagging everywhere and urine in the buses and trains and town centre you're getting what you deserve.
The problem is that the good guys have to suffer this shitting-in-your-own-nest too.

I think it's Sunderland or it might be Everton who have cancelled season tickets for folk who buy a ticket and disregard the conditions.

So you never ever break a law/rule? :roll:
Last edited by kshammer on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:14 am

Exile wrote:
Whitters wrote:I love bring controlled.

Fixed that for you. :roll:

Unfortunately it now makes no sense - read it and see before you publish eh?

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:17 am

King Crimson wrote:
Whitters wrote:

KC - you're a scream.

I personally would just pick somewhere else to go.

Exactly what I would expect.
Would you also run away from racist comments and stuff like that?
Turm your back on grannies being beaten etc etc
Again, I would expect so.

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:39 am

kshammer wrote:
Whitters wrote:I've been ignoring this thread because I've no interest in a "standing contingent appeal", assuming it was some sort of appeal for my money.

So you never ever break a law/rule? :roll:

I try not to.
I make a concious effort not to.
But maybe I was speeding today.
Maybe I didn't completely stop at a stop sign.
Maybe I copied a mate's new Brittany Spears CD (just kidding).
If I go to a concert or game I don't light up a fag because I respect laws and rules and recognise they are made to make the world a place which is comfortable to live in.
It's about respecting one another's rights.
At a game I don't stand up and obscure another person's view.

What I'm saying is that I'm a bit shocked that the majority of people on here have voted and stated that they are happy to deliberately go against the terms of their entry to the stadium.
And disrespect other's rights.
And I would accordingly expect the club to take some sort of action.
It's not for me or anyone else to take action as KC intimates, it's for the club to take action.
And if the majority of folks are happy to ignore rules then to me it says a lot about society.
There's a saying that goes something like "evil will triumph if good men (and women) do nothing".
I'm not saying this is evil but it's symptomatic of a greater ill.

KC goes on about messageboards being a waste of time for discussion but the club may note this thread and take action.
Also intelligent readers may rethink their stance.
The "others", who think that entering a football stadium is a last bastion of maledom - being able to swear, yell insanely, disrespect other peoples rights, and do other immature things in public - can't be helped.
We just have to hope they don't reproduce.
The problem is it's probably the only thing they know how to do.

windowman
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:42 am

Whitters wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Whitters wrote:

KC - you're a scream.

Now your just being a nob,wtf has someone standing at the game got to do with rape and torture, anyway KC is a teacher not a man of god

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:50 am

windowman wrote:
Whitters wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Whitters wrote:

KC - you're a scream.

Now your just being a nob,I don't believe I follow, old chap has someone standing at the game got to do with rape and torture, anyway KC is a teacher not a man of god

Good try (yes, you're a tryhard), but my spelling and grammar is nowhere near as bad as that so it's patently a pale immitation of my magnificent prose.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:06 am

Whitters - here some prose for you:

You're a fudge idiot.

:D

Hope that helps!

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:37 am

Agreed, what a fudge mong. Bet he believes in the holy bible and all sorts.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:46 am

Yes it is easy to link standing up at a football match in a two thirds empty stadium with the beating of grannies in the street or racism, abuse etc as anti social behaviour. There was a study recently that showed close correlation between fans that stood at football matches would often on leaving the stadium would spray paint walls and signs in offensive text before gathering in hunting packs outside retirement homes to assault ladies with purple rinse and wine gum packed hand bags. I presume Whitty has read the study and put two & two together and got nine.

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then