Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Staying up - Beating Sheffield United in April 2002

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
admin
Site Admin

Staying up - Beating Sheffield United in April 2002

Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:38 am

By mkSaddler ( - 80.225.44.168) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 05:02 pm:

Blades 0-1 Saddlers!!!!

Walsall stay up!!!!

West Brom win 1-0 in the last minute BONUS!!!!

By Chris Owen (Fensaddler) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 05:04 pm:

We cannot overstate what an achievement this is, both in terms of this season, and in the history of the club. I'm off to hug my family right now! Could hear you all on the webcast, absolutely brilliant!!!!

By mkSaddler ( - 80.225.44.168) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 05:09 pm:

I know what you mean mate!!

Considering we were away and there were thousands more Blades supporters our crowd was brilliant!!

Everytime one of the other scores was going our way you could hear the Saddlers going mental!!

The Dingle supporters (especially that Tipton Wolf!!) can eat their words!!

Walsall relegated!! Nahhhhhh!!!

barclays Wanderers not promoted (AGAIN!!) Quite likely!!!

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

By Dave Hawkes (Dave_h) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 05:23 pm:

What a day! It is great to see the club have stayed up. The decision to get in Lee has really paid off in a big way. It is so nice to see us up before the final day. The two teams I wished to drop have gone, especially after that idiot Parkin said a few weeks back that they were not in trouble. The run we are on is superb and to hit 50 points is amazing. The support was great to day, I listened on the radio mand had the TV on, everytime it went to Brammall Lane it sounded superb. Well done Colin Lee, without him I never saw this day coming. Thankyou also for Mr Bonser, because love him or loathe him, his decision to sack Graydon has paid off big style.

Brilllliiiiiaaaanttttt!

By peter ( - 195.93.33.187) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 05:35 pm:

What a wonderful day!!!!!!!
Listened to the whole match on the internet and the tension was amazing. Walsall just make me cry. I'll be making the 400 mile round trip from Kent next week to see the lads. What a season. It looked like we were buried five games ago but the run in, brilliant form anf othet teams losing points has made it all possible. Let's fill the ground next week, raise the roof with singing and sing all ninety minutes.
Kent saddler formerly born in Sneyd Lane.

By woodster ( - 195.92.67.71) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 05:44 pm:

I'm with you Peter. I was dashing to and from SKY as the internet coverage cut in and out and living every moment of the game. My nerves are shot away but I'm totally thrilled. Party on at Bescot next week! I'm definitely making the trip up. NICE ONE COLIN AND THE LADS.

By Stewart in Dursley/Wotton under Edge ( - 212.137.29.209) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 06:33 pm:

This matches listening to the Bury result a few seasons ago when we drew 0-0 and got promoted - OK not as good as last May but it is still incredible - I had privately given up about 4 weeks ago - but what a party we will have next week and let's hope some of those who were going to jump ship if we went down rethink - message there for Jimmy Walker who must be man of the season

Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By StevefromMachen ( - 80.225.75.18) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 06:36 pm:

Crikey.... Why does injury time always go on for eternity !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brilliant result.........Brilliant team..........
Brilliant manager........Brilliant fans..........
All those fans who went today....good on ya .. as already mentioned ...you sounded bloody brilliant on the web cast... I,m sure RadioWM had to turn the volume down second half!
Here's to party time at the Bescot next Sunday.....Trips to the Crisp Bowl next season? Can't wait!!!
UP THE SADDLERS!!!!!!!!!!

By Holbeach Saddler ( - 193.113.48.17) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 06:37 pm:

1 I was wrong (about Sir Ray being sacked)
2 I was wrong (Thinking we were down)
3 I'm chuffed
4 Can't wait for next season
5 Looking forward to matches at Wolves Leics & Derby. To name but three
6 Thank you Lord Lee
COME ON YEW GURROLES

By Phil_G ( - 195.92.168.163) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 07:00 pm:

Mark of Alex, Tipton wolf, all you Barnsley fans, Dario Gradi, The Express and Shite, Martin Swain, all you dingles... all your boys took one hell of a beating.

By jorge14 ( - 195.93.50.156) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 07:02 pm:

Today has proved that Colin Lee is a Walsall legend.

Graydon was finished as Walsall boss, Colin has come in, turned it around, got rid of Mr. Sun Tan.

It was a cr@p match but really, who cares?

WE ARE STAYING UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Neil Ravenscroft ( - 195.92.194.19) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 07:07 pm:

Drunk already! What a party next week! If Ray was Sir Ray, Lee will probably get enobled for this, after all, Lord Lee of Bescot sounds quite good. He's done something only one other Manager has in our history - kept us in this Division

By Sheffield Saddler ( - 195.93.50.178) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 07:21 pm:

What can you say. You know something when RG was sacked I remember reading on this board what a disgrace the sacking was. Well i supported Colin Lee from the start and I can tell you this, that if it wasnt for Colin Lee, Walsall FC would be in the second division months ago. RG did a good job in getting us into the first division but CL was the only man that could keep us there. I am proud that I have not only been proved right but the board at WFC was proved right as well. COLIN LEE - THANK YOU.

By cat3 ( - 203.198.2.3) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 07:22 pm:

Party in Hong Kong, drinks all the way!!! let's go man!!! We kept our faith.. what did I tell ya... YUPPY!!!!! Steve Corica is absolutely dandy.. and Leitao, he's my man!!!

By Sheffield Saddler ( - 195.93.50.178) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 07:23 pm:

Dave Hawkes - What a surprise, didnt you go to the match?

By redordead ( - 213.121.68.210) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 07:23 pm:

What a result, cant wait for next weeks game, i hope the players are introduced individually as they come on to the pitch next week along with St. Colin Lee. I also had the bonus of listening to albion score that penalty with a wolves fan next to me, HA HA HA HA HA

We are stoping up!

By Stu ( - 194.117.133.84) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 07:48 pm:

Yes, Yes, Yes. I can't believe it, and I plan on waking up tomorrow morning with such a hangover that I have to check the results again.

Cracking atmosphere, cracking result and I can't wait to play the Wolves next season.

By Dave Hawkes (Dave_h) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 07:48 pm:

No I didnt go to the match, you are dead right, but then I never claim to be the biggest Walsall fan around. However, the guys and gals who went today have done this super little club proud and it is so brilliant to say that Walsall FC will be in this Division next year. What is your point Sheff?

I dont want to sound as big headed as you Sheff, but look in the new bit of this board and I too supported Lee from the start. I also said it wasnt the end of the world Graydon going. I said Lee had a tough job and needed the support and it was a decent appointment. I may talk •••• most of the time but I got it right then.

By Kevthesaddler on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 08:01 pm:

How did the **** did that header stay out?!! I was terrified at the end, still cant believe it, I'm the happiest person alive I think!!!

Walker 8- Nerves of steal coming for the crosses at the end. PLEASE STAY!!

Gus 8-Gave Unlove a few kicks, thats good enough for me.

Carbon 10- MOTM Excellent distribution, very composed,won everything in air

Roper 9- Through himself at everything

Zigor 7- Solid, passed it well

Matias 7- Quite game, battled at times

Simpson 9- Nice and quick in the midfield, an excellent volley in second half, passed well, always wanted the ball

O'Conner 8- Battled, kept the passing going

Wrack 8- Best performance for weeks, worked really hard second half

Jorge 7- Not his best game but got the all important goal so who cares!!

Corica 8- Did well, out of position in my opinion

I may have been over geneous in my ratings but I dont care!! I thought we passed the ball really well but created nothing, fortunate to win but desrved it with our work rate and possesion!!

Would love it if at the Bradford game we could have a song for ray Graydon, cause if it wasnt for him we would be here.

Thank you Colin Lee & Dave Merrington!!

By Sheffield Saddler ( - 195.93.48.187) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 08:21 pm:

A song for Ray Graydon? dont make me laugh. True he got us in this division but we would have been dead and buried months ago under him. Perhaps you should think of a song for Colin Lee.

By blob ( - 195.92.67.70) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 08:23 pm:

Congratulations to the lads and the following cause they played their part today.
Bring on the Derby and the Leicester!!!

By steve rushton ( - 62.31.199.122) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 08:29 pm:

WOW - Brilliant day, weird atmosphere with mobiles bleeping all around ringing in the scores - couldn't see the scoreboard so had to rely on others reactions, what a strange but fantastic afternoon. Well done Colin Lee, Dave Merrington and the players (old & new) who all played a part. Party next week, then it will be interesting to see what happens during the summer months - I have a feeling that if we keep Lee we wont have this kind of worry next season. COME ON !!!!!!!!

By Kevthesaddler on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 08:31 pm:

I know Lee should get the cr and he will. I hate fans like u sheff, people that forget what people have done. Graydon is our best manager in history who shouldnt be forgoten!

He did more for this club than anyone, One last song is the least we can do! U disloyal prick sheffield!!

By Manc Saddler ( - 80.225.74.59) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 08:49 pm:

Yeah nice one, let's take a moment, respect to Ray Graydon.

And congtratulations to Colin Lee and Dave Merrington for their subsequent achievements.

Well done to the team and the supporters at todays game. Had a great day out. C'mon Saddlers!!!!!

By Sheffield Saddler ( - 195.93.48.156) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 08:57 pm:

Kevthesaddler. I am not disloyal I am just simply stating the facts. Under RG Walsall would have been relegated this season, face the facts you prick.
I am not saying RG was not a good manager, he was a good second division manager who was out of his depth in the first division, as shown by his shite record in the first division.
One last song - why????? We gave him that at Charlton.

By Alan ( - 193.237.147.217) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 08:58 pm:

I'm with you Kev. Colin Lee has worked a miracle for this club, but why the hell is Sheff Saddler slagging off Graydon - a great bloke and someone who got us promoted TWICE, providing my best day ever as a Saddlers fan at Cardiff.

Anyway, ignoring Sheff Saddler's stupid comments, today was superb. The lads battled fantastically - I don't think I've ever seen Pedro put in as many tackles, whilst Roper continues to put in 10 out of 10 perfomances.

At last we got the rub of the green with them hitting the woodwork twice (how did that header stay out?).

The fans were superb - us and the United fans. All in all a great day. And the Baggies won!!

Roll on next Sunday.

By Kevthesaddler on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 09:08 pm:

I agree it didnt look good under Graydon, but the playing staff avaliible to him were not good enough, the board gave him not money. I admit that his loanb signings were poor (except Chettle)
and some of his team selections were strange to say the least. I'm just so thankful to the man & think he deserves a huge amount of praise

By The Newman College Saddler ( - 195.92.168.171) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 09:11 pm:

First off, hats off to the boys for putting in one hell of a performance, nicking only our third away win all season (2 of which that have come in the run in) against DIRTY Sheffield United. I am man enough to stand up and say when Colin Lee came in i thought we were finished...thank god for proving me wrong. I will never trust my gut reaction ever again!

Secondly, i went into Brum for my 21st birthday last saturday for a meal and had the pleasure of meeting Sir Ray in the restaurant. We had a lovely chat and I thanked him for all his hard work over the last 3 years. He told me that we had a brilliant guy in charge who would keep us up; how right he was. (I also have a dodgy photo of Ray sitting on my lap after drinking a whole bottle of wine waiting to be developed - thats one for my wall of fame!!) And if anyone hasn't met him, what a thoroughly nice bloke he is!!

And best of luck to the Albion, keep them Dingles down so we can give em a pasting next season!

Party party party down the Bescot next Saturday, cos THE REDS ARE STAYING UP!!!!

Cheers
The Newman College Saddler

By The Newman College Saddler ( - 195.92.168.171) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 09:13 pm:

Oh yes, and i meant Sunday, not Saturday. Just got a bit too excited about my "meeting Ray" story.
Spanner.

Cheers
The Newman College Saddler

By Dave Hawkes (Dave_h) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 09:20 pm:

I think at a time like this it is amazing we are rowing and still going on about RG and all that stuff. It has gone, its all in the past, its time to look forward to a brighter time, this is the best position this club has been in now for years, so we are we calling each other 'pricks' and why Sheff did you not reply to my post?!

The way I see it is that we should be grateful to RG for giving us 3 good seasons, which included 2 great promotions and the best day of my life in Cardiff, and we should thank Lee and Merrington for sorting out the mess left by a lot of people this season and keeping us up, in itself a mini Graydon-esque miracle!

Cannot wait for next Sun, it will be great if we win, personally I don't think there is a need for a Graydon song, we showed him what he meant to this club at Charlton and with the flat caps and Graydon knows what he has achieved and how much we owe to him, but surely now is the time to say a massive thanks to Lee and sing him praises on Sun, to show he him how grateful we are to him.

By Shifnalsaddler ( - 62.7.136.129) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 09:21 pm:

I quite agree we should sing a song for Ray, who did a fantastic job to keep us in touch despite being starved of resources by JB and provided with rubbish players by PT.
One thing I can't fathom is why so many consider support for RG to be an implicit criticism of CL. I have supported CL from the start, but I still feel RG was treated disgracefully. Those two opinions aren't mutually exclusive.
With PT gone (hip hip hoobleedinray), and hopefully JB continuing to give the manager the support he needs we can look forward with confidence.
Abd Sheff, great post at 7.23. LMFAO!
But, it is not a "fact" that we would have been relegated under RG, merely an opinion, however strongly held.
Nevertheless, let's not fall out today, we have waited a long time for this, and what's more we (I mean us, the fans) deserve it.
Wolves away, first game, anybody?

By Dave Hawkes (Dave_h) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 09:23 pm:

Why was that such a great post then Shifnal? Sheff failed to explain it so I would like you to if you have the time.

By Kevthesaddler on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 09:33 pm:

ITS JUST ONE SONG!! I agree with Dave this is a great day so Sheff I'm sorry for calling u a prick, your entitled to your opinion and it was uncalled for.

My favorite quote of the season "We have stayed up together and we will move on together" Martin O'Conner after todays game

By Leicester Saddler ( - 80.225.77.15) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 09:40 pm:

What a day,what a result, only decided to go this morning after reading the messages on on here. Glad I did! Well done Walsall, they battled hard & deserved the points, the support was fantastic from the fans & I'm sure made a difference. Looking forward to a party next Sunday & the short trip to the crisp bowl next season.

By mickm ( - 62.31.224.1) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 09:52 pm:

Lest we forget:
Sir Ray was the finest manager to ever grace the dugout at either Fellows Park or Bescot. I cried at Cardiff, but was nearly in tears after the shite, gutless display we put on at the Baggies this year.
I will gladly sing any song for Ray next Sunday -with a swift follow-on to Colin Lee. I agree that Ray wasn't tactically the best, but are you really sure he had the same financial bounds (Marcello, Mat etc) as his successor? •••• B***** I say

Sutton Saddler

By philthesaddler ( - 212.1.135.141) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 09:58 pm:

for once, i would like to congratulate the board on an excellent decision. I did not like it when they sacked graydon, but in all fairness, that decision, coupled with the bringing in of Lee, has kept us up.

It's about time we got some cr from all midlands clubs, all first division teams and the national media. listening to the radio on the way home, they kept bumming Rotherham and how well they have done.

1. Rotherham have spent over £350,000 this season.
2. we've spent nothing this season.
3. we are the only side not to have spent a penny this season, and against the odds we have done it. well done Lee. well done the fans. well done the players.

Now Come on Bonser, Give Lee some money to spend and lets show the Blues and the Dingles and the Baggies, and Derby and Leics, that we are not a sh!t club in the shade of so called 'Giants' > Wolves> hahahah.

UTS

By Stu ( - 194.117.133.84) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 10:41 pm:

What is all the crap about a "song for Graydon". Are certain people living in the past or what?

Graydon got his songs when he was here, and was it me, or was Charlton not just a "Graydon day".

How about we give Colin Lee a song or two more, after all, here is a little something;

Graydon 30 games 27 points
Lee 15 games 23 points

I'm sorry, but under RG we'd have been relegated 5 or 6 games ago.

I appreciate everything he did, when he did it, in the past. It could be said that if it weren't for his tactics at times, we mightn't even be in this situation now.

So, for all I thank him. I wont sing any song for him, I'll sing a song for the man who kept us here.

By Exile (Exile) on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 10:43 pm:

I'm not getting involved in any of this Ray / Colin stuff. Two managers who've guided us to our current position, between them. That's all. Well done to the both of them for this last season.

That said, I'm bloody pleased this morning to wake up and check the results page on soccernet. A quick double-take when I saw the 0-1 scoreline (they've been known to get it wrong before), then checked those of our relegation hopefuls, and I was jumping round the office.

Well done to all - the team, the management, the back room, the fans, the almost fans, and anyone remotely connected with the super Saddlers.

Might I break with the tradition and suggest that neither "Lord" nor "Sir" is the appropriate soubriquet to be applied to Colin, rather, he should be called General Lee.......

Cheers all
Exile

By Sheffield Saddler ( - 195.93.49.153) on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 12:08 am:

Its 23:53 or something like that. The day as been very long, 12pm in the Globe then after the match in a pub which I cannot remember the name of, drinking whisky chasers with Saddlers fans who i cannot remember the name of.
I do remember being insulted by belgian saddler and stu and other people in Globe, something to do with my age and ladies age I think.
But I will get over it, I know deep down I have the looks and personality to come through the mid life crises I am in. :o)
kevthesaddler - I would buy you a drink if I saw you, perhaps not a chaser though! keep smiling lad :o).
Dave Hawkes - Sorry mate but I will leave belgian saddler to explain my post at 7.23pm if ever he arrives back! However, I would buy you a drink as well mate.
I know deep down that one man kept Walsall FC in division one, see posting by my ex-friend Stu (ha ha) at 10.41pm.
Geordiesaddler - Hope you arrived back ok, you drunken bum! lol

By J ( - 194.117.151.68) on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 03:12 am:

There's only one Ray Graydon - followed by Colin Lee's barmy Army on the halfway line at 3.45 on Sunday. Agree we'd be down with Graydon but most of the players in the sqaud are his players and they've kept us up. Long live Sir Ray and long live Lord Lee. Oh and UP THE fudge SADDLERS

By PT ( - 62.31.32.130) on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 09:10 am:

Graydon is history. He'll get his rightful place in history and when the books come out we can drool over his record, but he is now an irrelevance. We might as well sing the odd Chrisy Nicholl song for getting us out of the Third, followed by perhaps the odd Kenny Hibbett Number for keeping us in the league and that Tommy Coakley bloke did O.K, what about a ditty for 'The Buck' - legend. Now what was the name of the bloke who discovered this Portugese fella who's goals have kept us up, does he deserve a flourish? (does he bollox).
Sunday is for the achievements of the here and now, i.e Colin Lee & the current squad and what achievements they are!!

By jencox on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 10:43 am:

Congrats to the lads, to us fans for all of our support, to Colin Lee and Dave Merrington!!!!!!
At last the heartache is over (the headache aint eased yet though).
I think our team should come out to The Great Escape tune on Sunday cause thats just what we have achieved! any thoughts?

By [email protected] ( - 62.7.22.188) on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 10:53 am:

YYYYEEESSS!!! THANK YOU LORD LEE!!! I WILL BE GETTING MY SEASON TICKET THE DAY THEY COME OUT AND SEE US DO WONDERS IN DIV. 1 NEXT SEASON!

P.S ANYONE TACKING BALLOONS AND CONFETTI NEXT SUNDAY??? I AM!!!!!!!!!!!

By Stu ( - 194.117.133.84) on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 11:25 am:

Si - I thought it was more of a compliment than an insult actually. I thought she was 5 years younger than you said.

Cracking day though, we finished off in the Sheaf House at the top of Brammall Lane, full of Utd fans wishing us good luck and congratulating us.

Also, not only have we now won 3 on the bounce, but we've kept two straight clean sheets.

Play offs next season? :)

By Geordiesaddler ( - 195.92.194.12) on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 12:22 pm:

Sheff - Despite my expert knowledge of the rail system, managed to miss the train home in all the mayhem with. Like a carnival yesterday, unlike 1981!
What's the crack next week, Sunday hours doesn't leave much time for a beer before the match, are the town centre pubs open Sunday lunch? if so I'll be heading down town about 12 - coming down Saturday night for one ell' of a p!ss up. Hope the Blues stuff Wolves in the play offs.

Bonser - bad news mate, you've got to cough up the £150 k!!

Seriously, I Hope the Blues go up, they helped us out in the transfer market when we needed it, they've taken points off all our rivals, and their fans were a good laugh yesterday as ever. Not like the big headed twerp from across the M6. Hope Wolves get a draw today just to prolong the agony for another week, Them and Reading are the biggest headed bunch of tossers I've ever come across, when will they learn - you moan like f*ck all season, THEN do the partying -like what we do!!!

Big talk=zero success, and more fun for little old us.
Jesus, it's opening time, Bye.

By Dave Banks (Dgb) on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 03:16 pm:

I'd just like to add my congratulations to Colin Lee and the boys. Fantastic achievement!!! Hopefully we can capitalize on this next season.

BTW I don't think we should forget Sir Ray. Without him we wouldn't have been in this division in the first place. He will always be a Saddlers legend. What's more, despite being sacked, he has offered his congratulations to Colin Lee and the team and is genuinely pleased.
The man is gent.

Still, the future is with Colin Lee. Let's hope for a fantastic season next year.

By Slovaksaddler ( - 158.193.1.10) on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 05:05 pm:

I enjoyed the delights of the Slovak Premier league yesterday. Zilina my local team won six nil. It was 25p to get in I could change ends at half time and beer was only 20p a pint. That's what football is all about.
Best bit of the day was of course the score from Brammel Lane. Congratulations to all involved.
Just had a thought. One player who has been involved recently is the Fitz. Under Graydon he seemed to be very much out of favour towards the end. I have always rated him very highly. Glad that he's now back in the frame
Looking forward to another season in div 1. I'll be able to see a few more games next season. Roll on the World Cup.
Slovak Saddler

By weoley saddler on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 06:18 pm:

I was up this morning at 8am with a bloody splitting head, had to get a newspaper, i sat staring at the league table for half an hour.Amazing stuff.
Colin has done a fantastic job motivating and coaching the squad when you consider a number of players were probably playing in their last matches on the Bescot books.

What an amazing season, looking forward to seeing how colin will rebuild and structure the Bescot setup for next season

ANYBODY ? when are the new shirts out??? im on holiday in the end of june and im just looking forward to donning it. (so proud to be a saddler)

BTW probably against a song for sir ray, (im not that botherd though)I agree with 'PT' getting us here was Rays accolade, keeping us here i think is down to colin lee.

By Neil Ravenscroft ( - 195.92.67.70) on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 06:33 pm:

Who am I? Where am I? Is it August yet?

By London Saddler ( - 195.93.49.189) on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 06:38 pm:

What a day. Started at 1330 at the Globe where I had the pleasure of meeting Belgian Saddler. Thanks to the bloke who sold me a ticket for a tenner (it turned out to be the best tenner's worth I have ever had!!). Finished off my pint and then pointed my zimmer frame in the direction of Bramall Lane. Twas good to see the lads practicing short one touch passes in the kick around before the game. It really payed off later. Not so sure of the touchy, feely huddle before the game started. As a bloke reared in Caldmore and educated at the Chuckery this was a bit much. And do you remember, fellow Pleckites, this was Reading's tactic in Cardiff. Bad omen, I feared, but I put such ideas out of my head. The match started. We matched them challenge for challenge in the first half. There was some superb one touch football and no hopeful (hopeless) diagonal balls into the box. The defence was solid as a rock. Corica was excellent. Then Ziggy played a ball along the ground to Jorge and we were one up!! 2 minutes to half time. What a time to score. Second half and Simpson volleyed a great shot which would have put the match beyond doubt. They hit the post but so what. Great stuff Saddlers. Another season (and more!!!!) in Div 1

By Geordiesaddler ( - 195.92.67.65) on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 07:10 pm:

Just a thought, but how about a song for Dave Merrington - that way he would no longer be an unsung hero would he. These guys arn't even signed on contract yet so let's make them feel that they are the future of WFC by showing them appreciation for what they have done.

By RushallSaddler ( - 195.182.163.4) on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 07:36 pm:

Ray was a great bloke, but if he'd still been here, we'd be down by now! Well done to Colin Lee, Dave Merrington and all the lads! Lets hope Jimmy and Jorge stay with us for next season! Up the Baggies!!!

By Lampysaddler ( - 62.255.79.119) on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 07:48 pm:

I agree that we shouldnt foget RG but next Sunday should be Lord Lee's day. We wouldnt/couldnt have done it without him.

All hail the new messiah.

By quintonsaddler on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 08:56 pm:

I just hope that the fans that have been moaning and shouting abuse at Lord Lee just because he used manage the dingles now give him the full support he deserves.Because we would'nt have done it without him.

By Exile (Exile) on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 09:00 pm:

The future's bright - the future's Colin!!!

Cheers all
Exile

By popperpancake ( - 195.92.67.66) on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 09:20 pm:

Fantastic. Magnificent effort by CL and DM. And the players. Superb. Brilliant. Not interested at all in with RG we would have gone down blah blah blah..just interested in now. And next season of course. Nothing else to say.

By Sharp ( - 195.93.48.174) on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 09:29 pm:

Quinton: exactly how many fans have been shouting abuse at Lee? I havent heard one yet. I go to all away matches and stand right behind the goal at home. Lee has had superb backing. Its people like u that stir it by continually referring to Lee managing Wolves. So effin what, move on you dozy get.

By Neil Ravenscroft ( - 195.92.67.75) on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 09:39 pm:

There has been the odd idiot on all the message boards - no sign of them today, though!

By Sheffield Saddler ( - 64.12.103.161) on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 09:56 pm:

Agree with the above. Lets be honest, if it wasnt for Colin Lee Walsall FC would be playing second division football next season. Next Sunday should be dedicated to the miracle this man has achieved over the last few months.
Perhaps over the close season he will now clear out the rubbish and make the appropiate signings to make us a decent first division team.
And I have 110% confidence the man will do it.

By Sheffield Saddler ( - 64.12.103.161) on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 10:03 pm:

Its ok Stu, I was only messing! Anyway have you found out who the female Saddler was with the long dark hair and white banks top in the Globe?

By quintonsaddler ( - 195.92.168.170) on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 10:53 pm:

Sharp, i am 100% behind collin Lee, i'm not stiring anything up.I also stand behind the goal towards the front to the left of the goal and there is a tossa in a yellow top who does nothing but swears and shouts abuse at Collin Lee. Thats effin what dozy.

By quintonsaddler ( - 195.92.168.170) on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 10:55 pm:

Sharp, i am 100% behind Collin Lee, i have no problem who he used to manage, he is the walsall manager and doing a brilliant job,i also stand behind the goal towards the front and if you stand behind the goal you can not help but hear that tossa in yellow top shouting and swearing at him. I have also seen messages on here in past by other fans that have heard him, thats effin what dozy.

By Addie ( - 217.39.78.18) on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 11:06 pm:

Belgium Saddler's a shitehouse, he didn't even bother to go to the game.

Return to You Said That Then