Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colin Lee appointed the new manager (24th January 2002)

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
admin
Site Admin

Colin Lee appointed the new manager (24th January 2002)

Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:37 am

By DC ( - 62.31.224.1) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 05:48 pm:

According to
http://www.walsallindependent.co.uk

By Neil Ravenscroft ( - 62.172.127.2) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 05:55 pm:

And WM - to be announced at a press conference tomorrow, 12.30

By J ( - 194.117.133.118) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 06:04 pm:

Disgrace absolute Disgrace. I won't sing that mans name. Talk about rubbing salt in the wounds

By popperpancake ( - 195.224.209.115) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 06:17 pm:

If Lee is to be the man so be it. Not my choice but u gotta give him a chance. And that means next season too as far as i'm concerned, whatever division we're in.

By phil_g ( - 195.92.168.171) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 06:26 pm:

A bit sharpish don't you think? Who else thinks he had been approached before Sir Ray had been booted out?

By Neil Ravenscroft ( - 62.172.127.2) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 06:28 pm:

Cause he had, but I agree with popper. I also think it's worth repeating the stats from elsewhere on the message board:-

Managerial records at Wolves
Colin Lee 44 wins from 115 games - average 1.47 points per game
Dave Jones 23 wins from 55 games - average 1.53 points per game

and Jones has had far more cash.

By rob hamilton on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 06:38 pm:

if colin lee is the new manager then my seaon ticket goes in the bin. it has shades of when tommy coakley got sacked and then john barnwell took over and we all know what happend then.

By everrewady ( - 213.120.73.218) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 06:46 pm:

Colin (Useless) Lee could'nt manage a Sunday team. I wonder who the new manager will be after him

By Geordiesaddler ( - 213.205.138.250) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 06:56 pm:

Well said Popper. So what if he's an ex dingle. Graydon was ex Villa, and even worse - Vale. Got to give the bloke a chance. Mind you, I never did forgive the twerp for that equaliser in the league cup for Chelsea - but if he keeps us up I might. Say this for him mind he's got a lot to prove as a manager, especially on Feb 26th, game on. Rob don't bin your season ticket, it makes a great caster for a cup of tea and a bicky.

By Dave Hawkes (Dave_h) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 07:18 pm:

Give Lee a chance. At least he has a few months to show us what he can do before the season ends. Then if it has been a real shambles he can go. Come on, what we would we rather have had? Ratcliffe? Terry Dolan? At least in Lee he has a bit of experience. Interestingly, he did not do much worse than Jones has done so far at Wolves and he did get them to within a shout of the play offs, with a side less capable than Jones has.

Read a profile on RG, updated after his sacking, on LMA - http://www.leaguemanagers.com/managers/ ... aydon.html

Its a nice piece and picks out the best of his quotes yesterday. Very touching some of them. He says he hoped he left us with fond memories. He certainly did with me - that day at Cardiff was surreal, and I will never forget that. Thanks Ray.

However, I dont want to sound depressive as we should back Lee all the way now and support the club to the full, whether we are happy or not. A new start maybe?

By Mike_Egan on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 07:50 pm:

Failed Dingles boss & can't manage for toffee, but good at moaning and selling players - he'll need to be to get money for our lot !!

By belgian saddler (Belgiansaddler) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 07:54 pm:

not impressed. at all. obvious reasons, the speed of it all, ex-dingle (too many similarities to 1988: coakley out ex dingle in followed by relegation and relegation, for a supersticious old twerp like me). BUT WFC goes on and if he can keep us up then i'm sure my reservations will be forgotten. interesting to see if he gets any dosh. then again it would also be interesting to see a pig flying.

at least the players will be lookig a bit harder to impress maybe. come on you saddlers, lets see some fight and get ourselves out of this mire.

By stayingup ( - 194.82.103.143) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 08:07 pm:

Some more stats: guided Wolves to consecutive 7th place finishes, before being sacked around the end of 2000. His transfer turnover made a profit of £1m where as his successor has been able to operate at a loss of £12m

By paul119 ( - 62.30.0.2) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 08:14 pm:

what a load of rubbish,a disgrace to think he had money at the s**t,what did he do?f**k ALL.i was going to charlton but not know.Ray gave all 4 walsall and this is how they treated him JOKE.i know i shouldn`t say this but i hope we will go down,that will serve bonser right.noway will colin lee do any better than SIR RAY.

By Ulster Saddler ( - 195.92.198.71) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 08:17 pm:

Whoever the manager is we will have to support him. Just because other people at the club don't do their job it doesn't mean we should't do ours. But there must have been some behind the scenes going on to sort out contracts etc.My guess is that they decided to get rid of Ray Graydon pre Christmas.
I still think Bryan Hamilton would have been worth a try IF we somehow could have attracted him.
UP THE SADDLERS.

By Kevthesaddler on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 08:17 pm:

Colin Lee has got an almost impossible job getting the fans support, ex dingle and plus RG was our best manager in history. But He'll get my total support even if we do go down. Hes got one of the hardest jobs in football trying to emulate Ray Graydon. I just hope he gets us battling and fighting so if we do go down we go down with pride but I still think we've got the players to stay up. Come on Lee you can do it!!!

LONG LIVE RAY GRAYDON!!!!!!!!

By AndyG ( - 194.170.168.244) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 08:17 pm:

Forget about the Wolves connections Lee's track record is very very ordinary to say the least! I hope he's successful but I think Walsall have shot themselves in the foot. Division 3 in three years? Under Lee I think so.

By Ian Ball on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 08:37 pm:

What a disgrace.Lee was never anymore than MR Magoos assistant obviousley he has an eye for a player remember him signing Robert Taylor for the s**t just look at what we have got to look forward too i would bet my house on Taylor being his first loan signing.He had millions to spend at Wolves and never got anywhere how the F**k is he going to manage with all of Bonsers handouts Ihate to say it but i think we are down please all Saddlers with a bit of sense lets make sure Bonser knows what a disgrace he is by sacking the best manager this club has ever had and i think our last chance of survival.
Bally

By BrumSaddler ( - 62.30.192.1) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 08:47 pm:

His track record at Watford was less than a point a game. Any bets on what he'll manage at Walsall?
Here's a link to his Watford days. I'm not a happy fan.:-
http://www.bsad.org/gaffer/lee.html

By Doc ( - 195.92.67.65) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 09:00 pm:

Once again Thank you for all the memories and happy times Sir Ray. We must now move on. All the best to Colin Lee, we must now all back the new gaffer and see what the future brings

By Sheffield Saddler ( - 195.93.33.154) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 09:15 pm:

Colin Lee will prove himself, I bet when RG was appointed the same people above made the same remarks as me. Who the hell is RG?
I for one will be supporting Colin Lee and have every confidence for a long and successful reign under him.
Good luck Colin.

By steve davies on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 09:19 pm:

goodbye walsall i may just walk away if that twerp gets the job

By Sheffield Saddler ( - 195.93.33.154) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 09:26 pm:

Ian Ball - He did not have millions to spend at Wolves, please get your facts right. He had to sell players in order to fund any transfer activity.

By Dr Nick Yarnall (Rnsaddler) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 09:55 pm:

Lets give Colin Lee a chance.

While I am still smarting at the injustice of sacking Sir Ray, Lee is one of the better candidates to replace him.

I don't care who he used to manage, lets see how he does on the field.

PS Hope Sir Ray goes to Derby and keeps them up.

By Blood Red ( - 205.188.193.53) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 10:33 pm:

Two criteria for Bonser - A manager who was out of work and willing to work with NOTHING to spend - Roll up Colin Lee - ABSOLUTE TRIPE.

He was obviously tapped up well before Sunday's game. ABSOLUTE DISGRACE. Lee has proved NOTHING as a manager - very ordinary - we are down down down. He has only been brought in because he managed the Tatters with nothing to spend

Thanks for NOTHING Bonser....

By toldyo on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 10:55 pm:

NOTICE ONE MANAGER NEEDED MUST BE CHEAP & WORK WITH NO MONEY WHAT SO EVER

Lets face it,it does not matter who gets the job with no money to spend what chance do we have ?
Ray Graydon must be laughing his socks off

BONSER MUST GO
BONSER MUST GO
BONSER MUST GO

By Geordiesaddler ( - 195.92.194.17) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 11:28 pm:

One thing about Lee coming, it might give Bennett a break. Because I reckon the same Wolves obsessed morons who continually slag him will have a new outlet for their vitriol. Not very often I agree with anything by Kev The Saddler or Popperpancake, but how can you slag someone before they've even been appointed? Who gives a toss about what he did anywhere else, if he becomes our manager lets at least see what the poor bugger can do.
1) It can't be much worse than the last 30 games, and
2) It's not his bloody fault we are in such a mess is it?

Lets give Ray a good send off on Saturday, and then hope for a honeymoon period of about four straight wins (well alright a win and a draw). Two of our last three managers have taken us to promotions without spending anything, one without even signing a player, as we all know in the crazy world of Walsall FC anything is possible. Saying that if we go down 8-0 Saturday and he mentions "positives" in the aftermatch, I'm going off that London Bridge on the way home.

By Neil ravenscroft ( - 195.92.194.16) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 11:44 pm:

If we are going to stay up, we do need experience and he has got that. True supporters should give him a chance and that does not include moaning if we go down 4 - 0 on Saturday. The ex Dingle taunt doesnt hold water, as he was rather shabbily treeated by them!

By Shifnalsaddler ( - 213.1.45.2) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 11:53 pm:

Who cares if he is ex-Wolves? For me it is irrelevant.
He is a very intelligent guy which means he understands a few things i.e about the (no) money situation, that Bonser is a backstabbing twerp, etc.
Wouldn't have been my first choice, but certainly not my last either.
I'm still pig sick at what Bonser did to Ray, but that is not Lees fault.
Let's give him a chance, and for Gods sake, give the Dingle stuff a rest some of you.

By stayingup ( - 194.82.103.142) on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 11:56 pm:

"Lee has proved nothing as a manager"
He's been manager 3 times. Once ages ago at Watford, which was a failure. Once at Wolves when he guided them to two successive 7th place finishes with no money to spend (and nearly as good a record as Dave Jones who has spent £15m). And once at Torquay where with 1 defeat in the 6 games in charge he kept them in the football league. He has also coached Wigan, Reading and Leicester to relative success. I'm not saying he's the ideal candidate, or better than Ray, but he was probably as good as we can get given the circumstances. And I'm certainly not going to stop supporting Walsall just because our manager used to manager the Wolves. My passion is not that superficial. In the words of John Lennon, all we are saying is give Lee a chance.

By browny ( - 195.93.48.173) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 12:01 am:

Whats all this continual crap about ex dingles??
Ray Graydon has given all Walsall fans the best 3 years in the history of the club.....but anyone who has watched this team over the last few months knew we were on our way down. (By the way if you happened to be one of the 382 at Man City you would have seen a worse performance than last Sunday!!) Bonser for all his faults has either been very brave or very stupid but he has done it for the right reasons, to keep the club up. Even Sir Ray was not going to achieve that. So lets make sure all you Walsall fans get your backsides down to Charlton, sing your hearts out for the lads and give the new man a chance.
Good luck Ray and many thanks for the memories.

By CEastwood Wednesbury on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 12:03 am:

There is an empty bed next to Jeffery Archers', once occupied by Mr R Ramsden, but now has J Bonser sewn onto the pillow, The crook will be found out. In any other Buisness Bonser would have been doing time now and have an Arse like A Blood Orange and a boyfreind named Errol, Your time will Come!

By PT ( - 62.31.32.130) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 12:04 am:

What were Ray's credentials? Number two here, number four there, even spent time with us and nobody noticed.
I can't believe people are slagging our new manager before he is officially appointed. Actually I can believe it, it's pretty much par for the course so it looks like I'm gonna have to get going with the "Colin Lee's Red & White ArmY" early doors on Saturday.

By Aldridge Saddler ( - 62.31.205.124) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 12:09 am:

My only concern is that

"ther-er-s only one co-lin Lee" doesn't scan with the tune at all!!

By Aldridge Saddler ( - 62.31.205.124) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 12:17 am:

One thing is for certain

interesting times are ahead. I was actually getting board with the inconsistences of our performance. How did we manage to play so badly against Albion when we absolutly tore Bradford (not-so-long-ago Premiership) apart by playing good honest football? When you see play like that you feel that our current playing staff are capable, and do not need to play "spoiling tactics" and "long ball". Motivation and desire are needed at the moment - not discipline. Simo and Herivelto MUST be played more regularly. I say Herivelto cos he's the only one who looks like he doesn't want rid of the ball after having it for more than a second.

By andyvh ( - 193.61.84.99) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 12:53 am:

bin named nuffin we can do lets support the team n him cus at the end of the day we all want to c us in div 1 next season! yes mayb ever bonser?

By David Roe (Daveroe) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 12:54 am:

I think we should all cut Lee some slack. He was definately not my first choice, but he was also a long way from being my "nightmare" choice.

Forget his past record, it's of no relevance. Many, many of us questioned the appointment of a certain unkown Ray Graydon (who had no previous management experience) and how we were made to eat our words. Give him a chance, he may do a half decent job.

I'm all for a flat-cap tribute to Ray on Saturday, but let's not turn it into an anti-Lee demonstration.

By LARK on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 01:40 am:

How did Bonser come up with this appointment?

Has he interviewed Lee (did he do it before he sacked Ray?)
Was he impressed by Lee's managerial track record?
Was he recommended by Sir Jack?
Is he cheap?
Is he a friend of Paul Taylors?
Does he speak Portugese, Spanish, Brazilian, French, and Nigerian?

On the poistive side, the Club's foreign travelling expenses will be reduced.

By Rob James (Robbiej) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 01:52 am:

I agree with Dave in that I'm all for giving Colin Lee a fair chance, and I agree that his past record is irrelevant. Whoever took over after Ray Graydon deserves that. Nobody should have a go at the manager's performance before he's even had chance to settle in.

BUT.... it doesn't stop me and 90% of other fans being gutted that Sir Ray has been sacked and treated appallingly by WFC.
It doesn't stop me and many other fans being gutted that Colin Lee has been appointed as a replacement for Sir Ray. 2 days ago we had Ray, now we have Colin Lee. Good reason to be gutted.
And it doesn't stop all the fans who feel the same way as I do from having every right to sing their hearts out with Ray Graydon songs and anti-Bonser chants at the next game. In fact it would be an injustice to Sir Ray NOT to show our feelings as best we can!
Once all that's out of the way, we have to get behind Colin Lee. But first we should have our say at Charlton and at the next home game. I for one will be singing my heart out to let the board and Bonser know exactly what I think of their decision-making.
Anyone else feel the same?

By James ( - 194.117.133.118) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 02:15 am:

here here - I don't want Colin Lee at all but if we're stuck with him we support him. Saturday is differnt though - non of us expect to win - I'm just going to Sing my heart out for Ray graydon

By JPD ( - 203.46.97.209) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 04:55 am:

If you keep doing what you keep doing then you will keep getting what you keep getting.
We've been in the shadow of Wolves, Villa, WBA since day one and this is because we keep getting their cast offs manager and player wise.
We might as well merge with one of them.
Lets get independant and stop employing their past employees. Their blokes have it ground into them that they are second best.
All the best to Lee, but for the next one lets go somewhere else - Clough or Evans would be great for the club as they know what its like (Clough through his Dad - who was untried at Hartlepool and then a risk for Derby by the way) to be successful without relying on clubs around them.
Does anyone respect for instance Tranmere? We are the Midlands equivalent.

By boris ( - 195.92.63.163) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 09:16 am:

to all you MORONS slating Lee before he even gets
the job, get a life. you are PATHETIC.

Lee will be our manager and all the best to him.
The fact that he is an ex-dirty dingle is utterly
irrelevant.

he has more of a record of successful management
than Sir Ray did when he came (many of you said
Ray who ?). Give the guy a chance.

We all need to move on and look to the future. And
frankly, some of you lot need to get a grip and
grow up, you idiots.

ps Colin Lee was number 2 at brenford a few years
back and the bees fans regard him very highly..

By loyal ( - 212.229.191.195) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 09:35 am:

NEWS FLASH*****
BECKHAM AND GIGGS SACKED BY SIR ALEX, NEW SIGNINGS
BENNETT AND ANDRE TO START ON SATURDAY.

MAYBE SOUNDS A BIT FAMILIAR,

SING YOUR HEARTS OUT FOR SIR RAY ON SATURDAY.
BUT LETS NOT SLATE "LEE THE DINGLE " JUST YET.

WE HAVE TO GIVE HIM A CHANCE, IT REALLY IS A THANKLESS TASK WITH THE PLAYERS WE HAVE, AND KNOB BONSERS RELUCTANCE TO RELEASE A FEW BOB.

By Neil Ravenscroft ( - 62.172.127.2) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 10:07 am:

Perhaps people should join in the discussion on "where has the money gone" before they start slagging Lee off!

By Geordiesaddler ( - 213.205.138.250) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 10:37 am:

Browney - great point about the Man City game. I got ripped to shreads on here by the chunky jumper brigade for my reaction to that performance. That was the beginning of the end for Graydon in my opinion, he didn't learn from what happened that night regarding negative tactics.

By Mal (Mal) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 10:57 am:

If he keeps us up he will be the savior, I don't really care who is in charge as long as they do the business.

Footballs a cruel game and with all the hyoe this season about managers being sacked,it's never been any different.

At the end of the day we needed a change at that included Ray.

By TimW ( - 213.2.51.198) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 11:14 am:

Geordie...be careful on London Bridge mate, my fair lady told me that it may be falling down.

I've not got a problem with Colin Lee. He is in a no lose situation- lots of fans appear to have given up on this season already. He'll get my full support, but this Saturday I'll be mostly wearing Flat Caps.

By Niloc Eel ( - 213.120.73.218) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 11:17 am:

Colin Lee is a safe bet- yawn, yawn,- and he's cheap- snooze snoooze- who could do better. oh I have'nt got 3 hours.
Never mind the results say goodbye to proper football. We all hope that I'm wrong, will you wake me up up at the end of the season and let me know the outcome? I.ve put my prediction in a sealed envelope and know the outcome in my own mind. He has our full backing until the end of ....snooooooooooooo----------
ze

By staying up! ( - 213.120.73.218) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 11:22 am:

To the people who say they cannot believe the negative views of Colin Lee. I understand fully your view it must be difficult to accept facts.All the best anyway

By Jon ( - 213.120.73.218) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 11:25 am:

Walsall Wanderers for ever

By BrumSaddler ( - 62.30.192.1) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 11:47 am:

It's a trick Edexcel question, impossible to answer what I think of Colin Lee. I'll start to judge when I see him interviewed tonight, my only wish being a man who's honest and capable. If he talks in BlairTalk then he's not the man for me. Next will be his approach to the job, because Ray has left a team that can at times demolish defences. What we can't do is seal it with goals.
I went to the Bradford site after the saddlers cup win, and their manager expressed horror at how we tore them apart. But there was no pressure for points was there?
I honestly believe that the pressure was starting to get to Graydon, and so we played for one point per away match with a 0-0 draw the goal. And I've seen some dire performances away, with Brum and Albion I think sealing it for "Sir Ray".
If Colin Lee can give back to the players a little freedom away, to Leitao a thirst for goals again, and to Herivelto a right to attack on the flank, I'll be happy. Get the net bulging and the points and I'll be delirious.
Thanks Ray Graydon for all you've done/ I'll be with you at Charlton Colin Lee

By Dave Hawkes (Dave_h) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 12:24 pm:

I havent read all the posts because quite simply I couldnt wait to write a reply to some of you.

You sound like a bunch of kids some of you! Oh no he is an ex-Dingle! So what? So is Don and Bennett but they are both liked throughout the club. Lee guided the Wolves to 7th place twice with a squad less capable than what jones has, and did well in the transfer market.

Give him a chance. Lee has not been a bad manager,he has never got a side relegated I dont think so if we back him he wont now.

I am not saying I am overjoyed but jesus christ, give the guy a chance before you slate him and moan. Who the hell was Ray Graydon when he came? Look what he has achieved. We gave him time and support, it wouldnt hurt to do the same with Lee.

Maybe Lee will look at the squad in a fresh new light. Maybe Jorge will blossom, maybe Simpson will get a run and maybe he will do us all a favour and get rid of Andre.

By BrumSaddler ( - 62.30.192.1) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 12:31 pm:

A few more facts on Colin Lee from this morning's paper.Currently coaching at Wigan (14th in Div.2). Saved Torquay, his home town club, from the drop to the Conference last season, but then turned down the chance of being permanent manager there.

By lee54 ( - 62.30.0.2) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 12:34 pm:

ive got the flu virus & the shits
and this does not make me any better
good luck to ray graydon at derby
& i hope the board back him like bonsor
didnt do when ray was here
good luck to colin lee

lets give him our full support

By Stu ( - 80.1.194.221) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 12:38 pm:

How can anyone give him stick before he has started?

I dont think its too bad, it could certainly have been much worse.

His record at the Wolves wasnt too bad, 2 x 7th place. I thought he was unfairly sacked at the time anyway considering they made him sell Akinbiyi and wouldnt give him much cash.

Not too mention he didnt join Wigan at the start of the season, was he possibly the thing that turned their season around about 2 1/2 months ago, as they were in the relegation zone not so long ago.

He was also doing some scouting for Leeds this season according to a couple of reports, so he is obviously rated highly by some.

Lets hope he can keep us up. At the same time, I wont complain if he wants to go and bring us Roussel or Branch in on loan at the same time!

By steve ( - 194.117.133.180) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 01:17 pm:

It's official

By TNT ( - 194.82.103.152) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 01:25 pm:

I have sat down and thought abou. ok he was a dingle, and he signed dome bad players. Its a new start I will give him my backing, and hpefully he can do what he did here last season
I bet a lot of fans will stop going to games, and sit in the local pub moaning about, "a dingle as manger" GET A LIFE you yellow idiots cant make it on saturday but I will be their tuesday

GIVE THE GUY A CHANCE

By Sadla ( - 213.40.3.66) on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 01:29 pm:

Yep,now let's all get behind the man as we did with Sir Ray.
Saddler's are stayin up.

Return to You Said That Then