Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Manager to be announced 3pm today

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
saddlerken
Site Addict

Re: Manager to be announced 3pm today

Thu May 22, 2008 4:22 pm

Not surprised at all

Thought he might get it from the offset

benbo85

Thu May 22, 2008 4:24 pm

thats it for me i'm sorry, call me a kop out, a quitter whatever, i'm done with walsall. the cat has used up his nine lives complete and utter disgrace we put up with too much and this is the final straw, turgid decision, easy option and most probably cheapest. what a s**t club we really are, jeff's killed it

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Thu May 22, 2008 4:27 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
nogginthenog wrote:Have Heard from a source its either Mullen, Peter Taylor or Martin Allen.
I think it will be Allen and Mullen as assistant and they are waiting for mullen to come back off his hols to accept
the assistants job

So your source is so well informed, he's managed to tell you it's 3 of the most unlikely people.

Wont be Mullen - he'd have got it straight away if he was going to get it.

Wont be Taylor - why the delay?

Won't be Allen - why the delay?

Not quite right, eh Phil?

Definately not the appointment I was hoping for but how about we give him a chance first before all jumping off the deep end. Don't forget we were rock bottom when he arrived and then spent the vast part of the season in the play off zone before being shafted with the sale half of our defence.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu May 22, 2008 4:28 pm

benbo85 wrote:thats it for me i'm sorry, call me a kop out, a quitter whatever, i'm done with walsall. the cat has used up his nine lives complete and utter disgrace we put up with too much and this is the final straw, turgid decision, easy option and most probably cheapest. what a s**t club we really are, jeff's killed it

Don't give up now...there's the irrigation system to look forward to.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Thu May 22, 2008 4:31 pm

Money for Mullens assistant? :mrgreen:

Seriously though, i cant believe we have given the job to someone who couldnt cope at Colwyn Bay, Bromsgrove and Market Drayton. We are on that spiral down to League 2 once more.

DarkEye

Thu May 22, 2008 5:13 pm

Oh Bonser, What have you gone and done!

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Thu May 22, 2008 5:20 pm

Well that's me done for, could well be the final nail for me as i don't think i will be going next season after this appointment. Smacks of cheapness for me and it comes to something when i feel i would rather go and do overtime at work then go down to bescot/banks's again. He well might be something special and do a Graydon but what really gets me is he is the cheapest option, the club have strung this out to make it look like they have gone for the best option. I know it, You know it, the club know that i know that you know it and i know that you know that the club knows.

VERY VERY DISAPOINTED

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( ]
Last edited by Redordead on Thu May 22, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 5:22 pm

This thread should be sent to the club.

tinned
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 5:24 pm

BONSER OUT!!!!!!!!!!!

How many times are some people going to fall for this blokes bull****? Surely he's hoodwinked us too many times with his stories of supposed ambition. Don't fall for it anymore. Pressure him to name his price and perhaps we can be rid of this man once and for all.

Stu
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 5:37 pm

tinned wrote: Pressure him to name his price and perhaps we can be rid of this man once and for all.

Why, you come into some money all of a sudden? ;-)

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 5:40 pm

Initial reaction - bad, bad decision.
Regardless of his credentials and qualifications, he hasn't been a manager in the football league for over 12 years so how is he in a position to sign the quality players we need?

Bonser had fans to regain after last season's capitulation. Instead of winning those fans back, he's actually gone and made even more people feel completely disheartened.
Laughing at your own football club is something fans should never be given the opportunity to do. I certainly felt like laughing when I heard the news and I'm expecting a fair bit of stick from plenty of other people over the coming days.

I'll give him time to build a squad and make a go of it, but the likelihood of success this season looks very, very bleak.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu May 22, 2008 5:40 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
nogginthenog wrote:Have Heard from a source its either Mullen, Peter Taylor or Martin Allen.
I think it will be Allen and Mullen as assistant and they are waiting for mullen to come back off his hols to accept
the assistants job

So your source is so well informed, he's managed to tell you it's 3 of the most unlikely people.

Wont be Mullen - he'd have got it straight away if he was going to get it.

Wont be Taylor - why the delay?

Won't be Allen - why the delay?

Not quite right, eh Phil?

Definately not the appointment I was hoping for but how about we give him a chance first before all jumping off the deep end. Don't forget we were rock bottom when he arrived and then spent the vast part of the season in the play off zone before being shafted with the sale half of our defence.

Oh come on, no one expected Mullen to get it. And to be perfectly honest, I don't think he was first choice - that was made patently clear.

Only last friday Bonser told us that a candidate with all the right credentials had become available, this after interviewing other possibles. Then we choose Mullen?!?

If Mullen is good enough, then he was good enough 5 weeks ago.

Clearly, our first choice, and probably our second, and possibly our third - all refused to work with the budget and or suntan man.

Yet people still defend bonser.

We lose Money days after he said he wanted reassurances about the clubs ambition, but apparently it's not anything to do with ambition.

We then invite applicants for a managerial position, and then employ the assistant who's been there all along.

Our club is a farce.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Thu May 22, 2008 5:42 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Initial reaction - bad, bad decision.
Regardless of his credentials and qualifications, he hasn't been a manager in the football league for over 12 years so how is he in a position to sign the quality players we need?

Bonser had fans to regain after last season's capitulation. Instead of winning those fans back, he's actually gone and made even more people feel completely disheartened.
Laughing at your own football club is something fans should never be given the opportunity to do. I certainly felt like laughing when I heard the news and I'm expecting a fair bit of stick from plenty of other people over the coming days.

I'll give him time to build a squad and make a go of it, but the likelihood of success this season looks very, very bleak.

I wet me pants then threw a computer chair across the room. Its amazing a football managerial appointment can do that to you

Louise
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 5:43 pm

Couldnt agree more Rob - as I said on the other Mullen thread I have already today had more laughing at the Club by work colleagues than I can take.I cant defend this cheapskate decision and am embarrassed by this appointment.

Scooby
UTS Regular

Thu May 22, 2008 5:51 pm

Disgraceful. Welcome back 3500 crowds. Another 'yes' man equals my decision not to watch Walsall at Bescot next season.

Nortoncanesred
UTS Veteran

Thu May 22, 2008 5:54 pm

Nortoncanesred wrote:Lets face it, it will not be anybody with any ambition. Someone just grateful to have a job basically as you can't even chose who your backroom staff are.

Just call me mystic meg.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Thu May 22, 2008 6:08 pm

You can just see the new players that we need beating down the door of the Banks's to play for a manager with his pedigree.

Good luck to him but I'll give him to the end of October when he'll be sacked and we'll have to start all over again.

Ridiculous appointment.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 6:13 pm

I was stupid enough to believe after the stick Bonser had he would make a half credible appointment,
once again we are the laughing stock of the midlands,I hope the crowd drops to a point that Bonsers tenure will
be impossible to maintain,
Someone will come in its only lack of cash that will drive this disgrace out.

walsall_fc_matt

Thu May 22, 2008 6:13 pm

BONSER AND MULLEN OUT !!

Walsall Fc = Cheap as Chips :(

Duke
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 6:16 pm

to say i'm disappointed with this news is an huge understatement . questions must be asked.
why wasn't Mullen given the job in the first place our chairman was delighted and surprised with some applicants their CV's were very impressive his words not mine , all of a sudden Mullen is the best man .

Bonser record of managerial appointments is excellent with one exception we were promised a manager to take us forward
i don't feel Mullen is the right man for the job , off course I/ we may be wrong after all how many of us thought Graydon would achieved what he did .

I will to go as many games as i can next season . i'm prepared to give anyone a fair chance , but i'm not at all happy .

I honestly fear Bonser has got this one wrong , i hope i'm wrong
Last edited by Duke on Thu May 22, 2008 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Thu May 22, 2008 6:16 pm

OldPenkSaddler wrote:You can just see the new players that we need beating down the door of the Banks's to play for a manager with his pedigree.

Good luck to him but I'll give him to the end of October when he'll be sacked and we'll have to start all over again.

Ridiculous appointment.

Ill be mullen-g it over whether I should have a tenner or twenty quid on us going down next season.

Greg WP

Thu May 22, 2008 6:40 pm

Jeff has certainly taken his revenge on those final day protesters. He has had the last laugh.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu May 22, 2008 6:42 pm

Duke wrote:to say i'm disappointed with this news is an huge understatement . questions must be asked.
why wasn't Mullen given the job in the first place our chairman was delighted and surprised with some applicants their CV's were very impressive his words not mine , all of a sudden Mullen is the best man .

Bonser record of managerial appointments is excellent with one exception we were promised a manager to take us forward
i don't feel Mullen is the right man for the job , off course I/ we may be wrong after all how many of us thought Graydon would achieved what he did .

I will to go as many games as i can next season . i'm prepared to give anyone a fair chance , but i'm not at all happy .

But its not a matter of him getting it wrong - this is a calculated decision by Bonser. He knows that any other of the shortlisted 5 would have not only been received better by the fans, but also would probably do a better job, and would attract better players.

You trust Bonser for some weird reason. Are you so blind that you cant see his lies, his deceit, his barefaced cheek? First he tells us about the shortlist having some excellent managers on it, then he tells us that he's surprised by the calibre of some of the managers that have applied, then he says "hold on - there's been another applicant who's got the right managerial skills and experience, so we'll delay the decision" - then goes and appoints Mullen - It's beyond a joke Duke.

Please stand back, forget you support Walsall and just analyse this situation using the facts.

I'm asking for a refund on my ST. I suggest others do the same. Lets really stick it to Bonser.

Duke
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 6:48 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Duke wrote:to say i'm disappointed with this news is an huge understatement . questions must be asked.

But its not a matter of him getting it wrong - this is a calculated decision by Bonser. He knows that any other of the shortlisted 5 would have not only been received better by the fans, but also would probably do a better job, and would attract better players.

he tells us that he's surprised by the calibre of some of the managers that have applied, then he says "hold on - there's been another applicant who's got the right managerial skills and experience, so we'll delay the decision" - then goes and appoints Mullen - It's beyond a joke Duke.

thats exactly what i cannot understand Phil , why is Mullen suddenley the best man . it just dose not add up.

yoda
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 6:56 pm

Yer, that thought struck me. Do you think this is our 'punishment' for the recent trouble thats been kicked up. Even bonser must know this sint a good appointment.

Can people let us know what the club say regarding refunds on season tickets? If you have one, try and get a refund - seriously. You probably wont get it but if enough try it, it will get back to bonser. cant have anyone messing with his wallet

Harlequin

Thu May 22, 2008 7:03 pm

Louise wrote:Couldnt agree more Rob - as I said on the other Mullen thread I have already today had more laughing at the Club by work colleagues than I can take.I cant defend this cheapskate decision and am embarrassed by this appointment.

Oh Louise, defend it to the hilt and don't let them laugh too much..... just tell them to wait for our "exciting strikeforce". You'd better make sure you've got plenty of buckets for when their sides split!! :mrgreen:

Bernie
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 7:09 pm

I would hope that since the season has not already started and the tickets have not been issued then anyone asking for a refund would be given one without too much fuss.

At this stage one is only "applying" for a season ticket - the sales material implies that purchase does not actually take place until the ticket is supplied.

As I understand it someone renewing their ticket over the phone or by the internet would be covered by the "distance selling" regulations. These allow for cancellation periods, especially when the services ordered have not yet begun.

In any case I would not think that the club would want the embarrassment of an appearance at Walsall County Court if they tried to fight the case.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 7:09 pm

yoda wrote:Yer, that thought struck me. Do you think this is our 'punishment' for the recent trouble thats been kicked up. Even bonser must know this sint a good appointment.

Can people let us know what the club say regarding refunds on season tickets? If you have one, try and get a refund - seriously. You probably wont get it but if enough try it, it will get back to bonser. cant have anyone messing with his wallet

I'm not sure, but it's a product like any other, and we have consumer rights. I have my receipt. I'm certainly going to ask.

There is no mentions of refunds on the clubs PDF regarding season tickets: http://www.saddlers.premiumtv.co.uk/sta ... 006,00.pdf

mel58
UTS Veteran

Thu May 22, 2008 7:14 pm

I, like everyone, hope that Mullen proves me wrong; but what have the events of the last few weeks been about?
I feel Mullen's position has already been compromised by this decision, which seems totally contrary to the grand statements which have been copiously fed to us by Mr. Bonser. If Mullen's the best candidate then why all the long, drawn-out process and statements as to how the applicants have far exceeded expectations. Surely he knew what Mullen was all about - or perhaps he turned up for interview in a particularly impressive suit?
As I've said, I'd like Mullen to succeed. He seems like an old-fashioned football guy and it'd be great if he could beat the odds and make a go of things.

rusky
UTS Regular

Thu May 22, 2008 7:18 pm

My first post on this site!

I am very depressed. I can echo what I have read from other posters on here. I have had the sympathy from everyone where I work over the appointment of "Super" Jimmy .

Jeef really had the chance to make some amends with this appointment, yet it seems to me that he only wants to antagonise the fans even more that he has done before.

I feel that Jimmy is really going to have to bring in some big names in the close season to try and appease us, but even then, if he has struggled at non league clubs it could be a very long season.

I will still be going next season, I'm old enough to remember John Barnwell, but it does not stop me from feeling a huge sense of disappointment.

I hope my next posting can be a bit more positive.

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then