Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Manager to be announced 3pm today

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Re: Manager to be announced 3pm today

Thu May 22, 2008 10:43 am

If its true?

Oh i cant wait with the excitment!!!!!!!!!

Stu
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 11:07 am

philthesaddler wrote:
nogginthenog wrote:Have Heard from a source its either Mullen, Peter Taylor or Martin Allen.
I think it will be Allen and Mullen as assistant and they are waiting for mullen to come back off his hols to accept
the assistants job

So your source is so well informed, he's managed to tell you it's 3 of the most unlikely people.

Wont be Mullen - he'd have got it straight away if he was going to get it.

Wont be Taylor - why the delay?

Won't be Allen - why the delay?

The delay was because a new candidate appeared on the scene and JWB wanted to interview him. We've since interviewed him and decided that he wasn't the right man for us.

Quite simple I'd have though. I'd take Allen every day of the week, I really don't understand what folk have got against him. However I can't see Allen wanting to work with STM or JWB to be honest, he is too outspoken.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 11:14 am

Stu wrote:I really don't understand what folk have got against him.

Even if you can abide the outspoken comments, the thuggish mentality, the abuse of referees, the indifferent record, the tedious long-ball football then surely even you can see that we could never sing the praises of a manager that wears tank tops?

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Thu May 22, 2008 11:18 am

nogginthenog wrote:Have Heard from a source its either Mullen, Peter Taylor or Martin Allen.
I think it will be Allen and Mullen as assistant and they are waiting for mullen to come back off his hols to accept
the assistants job

If your source is in the know, then surely he knows exactly which one it is? There are 6 candidates if you include the mystery man, so where are their names? I think all 3 of those names are guano, so I hope its one of the other three that your source doesn't know about.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 11:18 am

Registered Saddler wrote:

Even if you can abide the outspoken comments, the thuggish mentality, the abuse of referees, the indifferent record, the tedious long-ball football then surely even you can see that we could never sing the praises of a manager that wears tank tops?

Couldn't agree more

walsall_fc_matt

Thu May 22, 2008 11:23 am

I bet it is someone we have never heard of or expected ! .

Look at the last couple of managers - who would of correctly predicted that they would be appointed .

Ben_Hartshorne

Thu May 22, 2008 11:25 am

walsall_fc_matt wrote:I bet it is someone we have never heard of or expected ! .

Look at the last couple of managers - who would of correctly predicted that they would be appointed .

Lets hope its someone we dont know, merson was the last big name!

Stu
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 11:30 am

saddlerken wrote:

Couldn't agree more

Thuggish mentality? I don't see that. I see a manager who plays hard and expects blood, guts and more importantly, a high tempo in your face team. Is that a bad thing? Not in my book.

Abuse of referees... All managers criticise refs, I've never seen him go over the top. So what if he gets the occasional rollicking for gobbing off, refs should be more accountable.

Indifferent record... Really? I can only assume you've never seen his figures.

Brentford - W54 D36 L34... 1.47/game, 68pts/season. Successive Play Off appearances.
MK Dons - W28 D11 L16... 1.73/game, 80pts/season. Play Off appearance.
Leicester - W2 D1 L1... Pretty good record, if only Leicester had kept him eh they might still be in the Championship.

So, where is this indifferent record you refer to?

Long ball football? Really, I didn't see much of that from MK Dons. I saw some really good high tempo football that was both on the deck using wingers and also direct. I don't know what football you've been watching, but all I've seen in the last 18 months is slow paced rather direct football at Walsall, espeically the past 3 months. MK Dons played with width, with a real high tempo and really mixed it up, sometimes width, sometimes direct and sometimes long. I'd say that's a good thing, as we've been so predictable its beyond belief for the pasts 3 months.

However, granted, I give you the tank top.

WFC_Jimmy
UTS Veteran

Thu May 22, 2008 11:33 am

i think it will be jimmy mullen...... :(

walsall_fc_matt

Thu May 22, 2008 11:36 am

WFC_Jimmy wrote:i think it will be jimmy mullen...... :(

Me to :cry:

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 11:40 am

Stu wrote:However, granted, I give you the tank top.

I knew you'd see sense :wink:

The whole post was slightly tongue-in-cheek, but he would be low down on my list of choices. Every time - without fail - I've seen Walsall play an Allen team, it has been all about stopping the opposition, by all means necessary. I've not seen a single opposition manager contest so many referee decisions and I'd hate it if Walsall players ended up behaving like Chelsea's brats. And while he did very well with Brentford, he really should have done more at MK Dons than lose to a poor Shrewsbury team in the play-off semi-final, as evidenced by Ince's work this season.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 11:44 am

booster cogburn wrote:I've heard from a very reliable source that there will be a grand unveiling ceremony this afternoon.

As to the guy's identity, I'm sworn to secrecy I'm afraid. I can tell you it's not Holloway or Kelly or Kinsella or Morrow or a lot of other people.

I can confirm that it's not going to be a lot of other people.

In fact, with a current world population of 6,669,268,543 it's probably safe to say it's not going to be 6,669,268,542 other people - or 6,669,268,541 if we employ a management duo.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thu May 22, 2008 11:49 am

I've seen Walsall play an Allen team, it has been all about stopping the opposition, by all means necessary. I've not seen a single opposition manager contest so many referee decisions and I'd hate it if Walsall players ended up behaving like Chelsea's brats.

You can never win; if we employ a manager who sits quietly on the bench he'd be dubbed as indifferent and boring. Of the two extremes, I'd have someone who passionately cares and argues every time. Sure, opposition fans hate to see that kind of thing, but that's football isn't it?

Whether Allen would realistically accept the position (or if Jeff would want someone like him) is another question.

DSLC

Thu May 22, 2008 11:51 am

Can I go for Sven with Venables as his number 2 :mrgreen:

Hope the choice is good for the club, and you let who ever bed down for a season, from outside looking in Dickie did your club proud with the two seasons, I know majority donot see it, but from the outside it was a terrific climb in such a short time

Brum

Thu May 22, 2008 11:52 am

he really should have done more at MK Dons than lose to a poor Shrewsbury team in the play-off semi-final, as evidenced by Ince's work this season.

ah but did martin allen have mark wright at his disposal? :wink:

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 11:53 am

DSLC wrote:Can I go for Sven with Venables as his number 2 :mrgreen:

Hope the choice is good for the club, and you let who ever bed down for a season, from outside looking in Dickie did your club proud with the two seasons, I know majority donot see it, but from the outside it was a terrific climb in such a short time

You really don't know us, do you?
:lol:

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Thu May 22, 2008 12:16 pm

Anyone had a bet?

Steve Cotterill is 10-1

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 12:23 pm

I would love Martin Allen, passion, thats what we want! The excitement is killing me...its's going to be Abraham M'Thlnkololo. I can sense it.

Slightly deviating off topic, where the hell is the new kit ?

Stu
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 12:26 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:I would love Martin Allen, passion, thats what we want! The excitement is killing me...its's going to be Abraham M'Thlnkololo. I can sense it.

Probably being stitched together for 5p an hour by a Phillipino, after we put it out to tender to the cheapest manufacturer we could find.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu May 22, 2008 12:28 pm

Asps wrote:Anyone had a bet?

Steve Cotterill is 10-1

Where?

Gornal Saddler

Thu May 22, 2008 12:29 pm

Its Alex Ferguson - they're waiting until 3 pm to make sure his flight gets back in time from Russia. I hear they're naming a new Vodka after John Terry because its 'Bottled in Russia' ! :lol:

Gornal Saddler

Thu May 22, 2008 12:32 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:I would love Martin Allen, passion, thats what we want! The excitement is killing me...its's going to be Abraham M'Thlnkololo. I can sense it.

I asked at the Club shop on Monday and they say Easy Fit remain the shirt sponsors and the strip will not be being launched until towards the end of June / Beginning of July.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu May 22, 2008 12:32 pm

Why? Have you ever seen Barry Fry on the touchline? Animated, passionate and useless. Have you ever seen Mark Hughes or Roy Keane on the touchline? Calm, dispassionate and very, very good.

Ben_Hartshorne

Thu May 22, 2008 12:33 pm

Stu wrote:

Probably being stitched together for 5p an hour by a Phillipino, after we put it out to tender to the cheapest manufacturer we could find.

5p an hour....has there ever been a Phillipino manager in England i wonder? :shock: :shock:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 12:35 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Why? Have you ever seen Barry Fry on the touchline? Animated, passionate and useless. Have you ever seen Mark Hughes or Roy Keane on the touchline? Calm, dispassionate and very, very good.

Because he has a good record, will bring something completely different and has managed in the modern era. Like Stu says, I can never remember playing against the Dongs and seeing hoof it football, more get it into the strikers feet and get it out wide, and lets face it - it was much worse football under Money, but still effective.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 12:37 pm

Having just been informed of this myself and been given the potential name then let me just say I hope its a hoax.

Stu
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 12:38 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Where as O'Neill and Mourinho can be very animated and were superb. Whilst Broadhurst was calm, dispassionate and lousy.

Argument works both ways Neil.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu May 22, 2008 12:38 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Because he has a good record, will bring something completely different and has managed in the modern era. Like Stu says, I can never remember playing against the Dongs and seeing hoof it football, more get it into the strikers feet and get it out wide, and lets face it - it was much worse football under Money, but still effective.

That's better - just don't give me any of this "passion" nonsense. It means nothing. Personally, I want someone who knows what they are doiung and uses their head, not their heart. If you think he qualifies on those grounds, fair enough.

Biggles
UTS Veteran

Thu May 22, 2008 12:40 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:Having just been informed of this myself and been given the potential name then let me just say I hope its a hoax.

Willing to give us a hint............... :D

machew
UTS Regular

Thu May 22, 2008 12:42 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

On the other hand, I have seen a guy called Alex Ferguson being animated on the touchline a few times, and I don't think has done too badly ...

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then