Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Manager to be announced 3pm today

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
Giza

Re: Manager to be announced 3pm today

Thu May 22, 2008 7:18 pm

At a time when we the supporters thought that the club would appoint a bigger than usual appointment again we had our trousers pulled down and our bottoms spanked! I really feel sorry for Mullen, im sure he will do his best, but the board have really put the pressure on him to succeed. I would of preferred if they had gone and appointed someone once again we had never heard of like a Graydon or Money, but nooooooooooo it all comes down to money.
I remember that when Graydon was hired that the press published that Walsall's managerial post had the lowest salary in the football league! I'm sure this is still the case, yet we still attact reputable applicants. I would love one of the said applicants to speak up and say yes i was interested but was astonished at the pay!
Some of the raised moeny from the Dann/Fox sales has gone on the new training ground and most probably the irregation system, but how on earth is JM going to attract players?

Shocking appointment lets start a campaign to get as many supporters to boycott the first league/Friendly match of the season and stand outside the ground venting our anger!

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Thu May 22, 2008 7:25 pm

After reading this thread the word "pathetic" comes to mind. And it is not aimed at the appointment of Mullen.

walsall_fc_matt

Thu May 22, 2008 7:25 pm

Giza wrote:At a time when we the supporters thought that the club would appoint a bigger than usual appointment again we had our trousers pulled down and our bottoms spanked! I really feel sorry for Mullen, im sure he will do his best, but the board have really put the pressure on him to succeed. I would of preferred if they had gone and appointed someone once again we had never heard of like a Graydon or Money, but nooooooooooo it all comes down to money.
I remember that when Graydon was hired that the press published that Walsall's managerial post had the lowest salary in the football league! I'm sure this is still the case, yet we still attact reputable applicants. I would love one of the said applicants to speak up and say yes i was interested but was astonished at the pay!
Some of the raised moeny from the Dann/Fox sales has gone on the new training ground and most probably the irregation system, but how on earth is JM going to attract players?

Shocking appointment lets start a campaign to get as many supporters to boycott the first league/Friendly match of the season and stand outside the ground venting our anger!

I would support a boycott and protest !

walsall_fc_matt

Thu May 22, 2008 7:26 pm

tape66 wrote:After reading this thread the word "pathetic" comes to mind. And it is not aimed at the appointment of Mullen.

Ark at you - related to Bonser are you ?

Giza

Thu May 22, 2008 7:28 pm

Realistically i dont think enough would but its an idea to really get the point accross national press would cover it and can you imagine the bank's virtually empty! Well more than usual!

walsall_fc_matt

Thu May 22, 2008 7:29 pm

Giza wrote:Realistically i dont think enough would but its an idea to really get the point accross national press would cover it and can you imagine the bank's virtually empty!

I agree !

Make it known to the press the disgust that we fans feel about how our club is being run .

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 7:38 pm

Posted on here as well as the Mullen thread, because it is equally applicable:

Fuming, embarrassed by the cheapness of the appointment, and appalled that Mullen has been appointed above the genuine ability of the other applicants.

Might as well name names, I am assured that Cotterill, Kinsella, Taylor and Allen applied. Holloway would probably have been available at some point next week and Paul Lambert is available; not to mention the potential of people such as Shakespeare or O'Kelly.

I'd have taken all of the above, plus a good number others, above Mullen who did not impress at all in the last two games. If we give a direct comparison to what Kinsella did when he was caretaker-manager (again for the last two matches), Mullen favours worse.

Stupid, stupid appointment. We have passed up the opportunity to build for the FUTURE - something the club claim they are enthusiastic about. We could have appointed Kinsella, Lambert, Shakespeare or O'Kelly, not to mention Rob Kelly, and we would have had a manager who wanted to stick with it for the long haul.

I said a couple of weeks ago that if Mullen was appointed he wouldn't last. I don't think he will. Personally, I think he'll be gone by January because the fans will not give the same lee-way that they did with the Graydon appointment, despite the obvious comparisons.

Attendances will be bad enough next season as it is, but if we start poorly they are going to crash. I will not be surprised if we end next season with averages around the 4500 mark - which will be an embarrassment.

I think people know that I'm not on the anti-Bonser bandwagon, and I've backed him when most have been critical. But there is truly no reason for this appointment other than that it is the easy option; from within the club and easier than having to bring a new man in and build new relations. He will work within the clear structure at the club - which is that Paul Taylor handles signings, and Mullen puts the team out on a Saturday. It is how it worked with Graydon, and Bonser has been yearning to return to those levels of prudence and control ever since. Unfortunately, Taylor's contacts aren't what they once were - and I will be amazed if we get any players in anywhere close to the 1998 class of Rammell, Pointon, Wrack or the Matias, Leitao, Angell, Aranalde, Tilson group which followed.

So...this was Bonser's chance. A 'name' in, and it would have brought him another season of little criticism. If Steve Cotterill had been brought in today, there wouldn't have been much criticism and it would have quelled the moaning for a while. As it is, this appointment has brought any support of Bonser crashing down. As I've said, I don't believe that there are any footballing reasons behind this appointment, and it is a slap in the face of the fanbase who sat through three months of their best players leaving, morale crumbling and a very successful manager jumping ship in the hope that the next appointment might be an improvement and that we might be able to look forward to 08/09 with some sort of hope. As it is, it is, quite simply, more than a little disapointing and thoroughly irritating and predictable.

Jimmy Mullen OBE...

Out Before Easter.

walsall_fc_matt

Thu May 22, 2008 7:46 pm

Jorge14 wrote:Posted on here as well as the Mullen thread, because it is equally applicable:

Fuming, embarrassed by the cheapness of the appointment, and appalled that Mullen has been appointed above the genuine ability of the other applicants.

Might as well name names, I am assured that Cotterill, Kinsella, Taylor and Allen applied. Holloway would probably have been available at some point next week and Paul Lambert is available; not to mention the potential of people such as Shakespeare or O'Kelly.

I'd have taken all of the above, plus a good number others, above Mullen who did not impress at all in the last two games. If we give a direct comparison to what Kinsella did when he was caretaker-manager (again for the last two matches), Mullen favours worse.

Stupid, stupid appointment. We have passed up the opportunity to build for the FUTURE - something the club claim they are enthusiastic about. We could have appointed Kinsella, Lambert, Shakespeare or O'Kelly, not to mention Rob Kelly, and we would have had a manager who wanted to stick with it for the long haul.

I said a couple of weeks ago that if Mullen was appointed he wouldn't last. I don't think he will. Personally, I think he'll be gone by January because the fans will not give the same lee-way that they did with the Graydon appointment, despite the obvious comparisons.

Attendances will be bad enough next season as it is, but if we start poorly they are going to crash. I will not be surprised if we end next season with averages around the 4500 mark - which will be an embarrassment.

I think people know that I'm not on the anti-Bonser bandwagon, and I've backed him when most have been critical. But there is truly no reason for this appointment other than that it is the easy option; from within the club and easier than having to bring a new man in and build new relations. He will work within the clear structure at the club - which is that Paul Taylor handles signings, and Mullen puts the team out on a Saturday. It is how it worked with Graydon, and Bonser has been yearning to return to those levels of prudence and control ever since. Unfortunately, Taylor's contacts aren't what they once were - and I will be amazed if we get any players in anywhere close to the 1998 class of Rammell, Pointon, Wrack or the Matias, Leitao, Angell, Aranalde, Tilson group which followed.

So...this was Bonser's chance. A 'name' in, and it would have brought him another season of little criticism. If Steve Cotterill had been brought in today, there wouldn't have been much criticism and it would have quelled the moaning for a while. As it is, this appointment has brought any support of Bonser crashing down. As I've said, I don't believe that there are any footballing reasons behind this appointment, and it is a slap in the face of the fanbase who sat through three months of their best players leaving, morale crumbling and a very successful manager jumping ship in the hope that the next appointment might be an improvement and that we might be able to look forward to 08/09 with some sort of hope. As it is, it is, quite simply, more than a little disapointing and thoroughly irritating and predictable.

Jimmy Mullen OBE...

Out Before Easter.

Fantastic !

Covers what most of us are thinking !

Cueball
UTS Regular

Thu May 22, 2008 7:48 pm

Jorge14 wrote:Posted on here as well as the Mullen thread, because it is equally applicable:

Jimmy Mullen OBE...

Out Before Easter.

Great post.

Nortoncanesred
UTS Veteran

Thu May 22, 2008 8:01 pm

Greg WP wrote:Jeff has certainly taken his revenge on those final day protesters. He has had the last laugh.

He will anyway, how many of us have a multi million pound pension pot thanks to Walsall FC?

Nortoncanesred
UTS Veteran

Thu May 22, 2008 8:31 pm

Might as well name names, I am assured that Cotterill, Kinsella, Taylor and Allen applied

I would like to know how Bonser justifies his choice then, not that he will bother to tell us. If he had made an interestng appointment he could have rode out the last year to pension fund maturity quite easily. However I think that the majority have now finally seen through him and that his only motive is to get very rich out of Walsall FC.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Thu May 22, 2008 9:22 pm

Top post Jorge 14 - pretty much sums up my feelings.

Bernie, do you really think the club will refund season tickets???? I doubt it very much - I might just try, despite the fact that I will still be in attendance - it certainly wont be a problem getting my seat on a week to week basis - what other fool would buy it now?

tinned
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 10:49 pm

Duke wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
Duke wrote:to say i'm disappointed with this news is an huge understatement . questions must be asked.
why wasn't Mullen given the job in the first place our chairman was delighted and surprised with some applicants their CV's were very impressive his words not mine , all of a sudden Mullen is the best man .

Bonser record of managerial appointments is excellent with one exception we were promised a manager to take us forward
i don't feel Mullen is the right man for the job , off course I/ we may be wrong after all how many of us thought Graydon would achieved what he did .

I will to go as many games as i can next season . i'm prepared to give anyone a fair chance , but i'm not at all happy .

I honestly fear Bonser has got this one wrong , i hope i'm wrong

But its not a matter of him getting it wrong - this is a calculated decision by Bonser. He knows that any other of the shortlisted 5 would have not only been received better by the fans, but also would probably do a better job, and would attract better players.

he tells us that he's surprised by the calibre of some of the managers that have applied, then he says "hold on - there's been another applicant who's got the right managerial skills and experience, so we'll delay the decision" - then goes and appoints Mullen - It's beyond a joke Duke.

thats exactly what i cannot understand Phil , why is Mullen suddenley the best man . it just dose not add up.

Because he's a liar Dave. We've been trying to tell you for ages but you're too caught up on the old "Bonser's our saviour" and "without Bonser there;d be no Walsall FC" hooks.

He uses bullshit and propoganda to scare people off seeing him for what he really is. Don't fall for it any longer.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 10:56 pm

Great post bruv could not have put it better myself. Ive not been anti bonser in anyway in the past, but his actions today worry me. What has Mullen do in the game, his last sucess was over ten years ago and times have changed since then big style. It seems the same old cheap Walsall get in a yes man to work with Bonser and Taylor, this is why we never get at Cotterill,Allen or Kelly in as they would not want to work with Taylor.I wish Jimmy all the best he seems a nice chap as for Bonser and the board they have failed Walsall Fc and its fans, they had the chance to show they care but they have failed big time

benbo85

Fri May 23, 2008 8:47 am

great post jorge14, everybodys sentiments and feelings broadcast in far well mannered and calm approach than i could ever do. i've slept on it and i'm still absolutely, completely, totally devastated, angry, distraught, bitter, choleric, apoplectic, exasperted, incensed, infuriated and hurt by what is now a situation which is unavoidably the downfall of this clubs recent success. i cannot believe what has happened over the last few months, the demise of the club is terribly sad and we as fans are powerless to it. what once was is now lost and it seems as though little old walsall will only ever be little old walsall

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Fri May 23, 2008 9:13 am

Its interesting to see people having that "Bonser moment", when the penny finally drops. Mine was the day we sold Scott Dann, it would appear that for many the appointment of Mullen is it.

Just cogitate on this for a moment.

In the last five months we have lost our three best players, our manager, then half our remaining playing squad.

We have not replaced ANY of the above with any new blood from outside the existing payroll - and this at a time when the club has been in receipt of its biggest EVER transfer windfall.

Anyone who still has any doubts about Jeff Bonser, his attitude, his motivations, and his sheer arrogance cannot IMHO have the interests of Walsall FC at heart.

Nothing will change while JB is at the helm unless it gets worse of course, the only way this club will vere progress is when he is gone, and the only thing that really matters at Walsall FC is getting rid of Jeff Bonser.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Fri May 23, 2008 9:26 am

Bonser knows what he's doing, he's not daft.

We need to hit him where it hurts. Everyone who bought a season ticket for next season, phone up and ask for a refund. If 100 of us do that, thats £30,000 - thats a pretty big statement.

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri May 23, 2008 9:28 am

philthesaddler wrote:Bonser knows what he's doing, he's not daft.

We need to hit him where it hurts. Everyone who bought a season ticket for next season, phone up and ask for a refund. If 100 of us do that, thats £30,000 - thats a pretty big statement.

[srtafflers mode] It's your fault, and your mates[/stafflers mode]

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Fri May 23, 2008 9:32 am

Exile wrote:

Season Tickets are apparently non-refundable.

Any idea what one can do?

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Fri May 23, 2008 9:45 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:Its interesting to see people having that "Bonser moment", when the penny finally drops. Mine was the day we sold Scott Dann, it would appear that for many the appointment of Mullen is it.

Just cogitate on this for a moment.

In the last five months we have lost our three best players, our manager, then half our remaining playing squad.

We have not replaced ANY of the above with any new blood from outside the existing payroll - and this at a time when the club has been in receipt of its biggest EVER transfer windfall.

Anyone who still has any doubts about Jeff Bonser, his attitude, his motivations, and his sheer arrogance cannot IMHO have the interests of Walsall FC at heart.

Nothing will change while JB is at the helm unless it gets worse of course, the only way this club will vere progress is when he is gone, and the only thing that really matters at Walsall FC is getting rid of Jeff Bonser.

Mine was the interview JB did shortly after we sold Dann when it was clear we didn't need to sell him, but did it because JB fancied trousering the cash.

It is funny that those within the club continue to blame the fans for the lack of success of WFC, when we are the only net financial contributers to the club.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Fri May 23, 2008 9:51 am

Phil, as I said before anyone who has applied for a season ticket via the internet, or over the phone or by fax or post, is certainly entitled to cancel under the "distance selling" laws which automatically allow for a reasonable cancellation period.

Those who have ordered the ticket in person at the club shop have only applied for a ticket. The form you linked to shows quite clearly that it is an Application Form - i.e. someone who completes the form is seeking to make a contract with the club and go on to purchase a ticket - but the contract is not made until the ticket is supplied. When you order a car or a piece of furniture you will usually sign a binding contract to buy at the time of the order, not just fill in an application form. I think that there is a clear legal difference between a contract to buy and an application form which does not contain any binding terms or conditions.

The application form gives a long list of terms of conditions, none of which says that applications to buy tickets cannot be cancelled before the ticket is actually supplied.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Fri May 23, 2008 9:53 am

philthesaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:

Go to the games but not enjoy them? :idea:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Fri May 23, 2008 9:56 am

Bernie wrote:Phil, as I said before anyone who has applied for a season ticket via the internet, or over the phone or by fax or post, is certainly entitled to cancel under the "distance selling" laws which automatically allow for a reasonable cancellation period.

Those who have ordered the ticket in person at the club shop have only applied for a ticket. The form you linked to shows quite clearly that it is an Application Form - i.e. someone who completes the form is seeking to make a contract with the club and go on to purchase a ticket - but the contract is not made until the ticket is supplied. When you order a car or a piece of furniture you will usually sign a binding contract to buy at the time of the order, not just fill in an application form. I think that there is a clear legal difference between a contract to buy and an application form which does not contain any binding terms or conditions.

The application form gives a long list of terms of conditions, none of which says that applications to buy tickets cannot be cancelled before the ticket is actually supplied.

The lady said that cancellation was only allowed for health reasons, and that it was all down in writing available from the club.

Im am not au fait with anything legal like you obviously are. I can see what you are saying is correct, but I simply couldn't get that across to anyone if I tried.

I ordered my season ticket from the town centre shop. I have the receipt.

Exile
Jobsworth

King Crimson wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:

Use it as toilet paper, then post it back.? :idea:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

King Crimson wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:

:lol: Happens anyway mate.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Fri May 23, 2008 9:58 am

King Crimson wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:

Phil's been doing that for years! :D :mrgreen:

Only joking, Phil.

stig

Fri May 23, 2008 10:05 am

philthesaddler wrote:
Bernie wrote:Phil, as I said before anyone who has applied for a season ticket via the internet, or over the phone or by fax or post, is certainly entitled to cancel under the "distance selling" laws which automatically allow for a reasonable cancellation period.

The lady said that cancellation was only allowed for health reasons, and that it was all down in writing available from the club.

Im am not au fait with anything legal like you obviously are. I can see what you are saying is correct, but I simply couldn't get that across to anyone if I tried.

I ordered my season ticket from the town centre shop. I have the receipt.

Perhaps it needs to be done en masse. Everyone going down to the ticket office at the same time with someone a little more knowledgable about contract law in attendance. Hundreds of disenchanted ST holders trying to get refunds in one go ?? It's gotta get a message across somewhere surely? Expecially if the Press were tipped off.

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Fri May 23, 2008 10:14 am

Duke wrote:where's Ned when we need him :?

I was sat in my van feeling depressed in Warrington (not hard to be depressed there) as i txt'd the others. I could only muster the 1 word... Mullen !

Sadders
UTS Legend

Fri May 23, 2008 10:51 am

We need more flags, more protests, something drastic this time - the moaning old fart has gone to far. Burn a flag or something serious, he needs to now our feelings.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Fri May 23, 2008 12:51 pm

On the subject of refunds on season tickets is it a coincidence that a link to the Walsall FC Customer Charter has suddenly appeared on News Now:Walsall?
http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Footba ... ne/Walsall
http://www.saddlers.premiumtv.co.uk/pag ... 21,00.html

I wonder whether requests the club has had for refunds that has led them to link to that. However by doing so they are only showing the weakness of their legal case against the right of a customer who has applied to buy a ticket seeking to cancel the application before the ticket actually arrives.

The Customer Charter deals with the return of unwanted tickets. That is of course not the same as the cancellation of an application to buy a ticket. There is nothing in the Charter nor in the Application Form for tickets that says that anyone making an application has entered into a binding contract which cannot be cancelled before the tickets are supplied.

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then