Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Dicky's gone

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Re: Dicky's gone

Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:41 pm

Oh yeah and by the way Thanks Dicky and good luck for the future

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:04 pm

Duke wrote:
Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
Duke wrote:first reaction sad and disappointed to see him go . now i've had time to reflect due to the site crashing . we have lost good managers before and i'm sure we will again .
Walsall football club will go on thats what matters.
Thanks for turning our club around Mr Money , thanks for our second title, and best wishes for the future.

UP THE SADDLERS

..Thanks Jeff. :roll:

:lol:

do you blame Bonser for the war in Iraq :lol:

No, just for being a serial bottler, and for putting his paying customers at the bottom of his respect list. (if we're even on it, that is)

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:04 pm

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:18 pm

Well it certainly looks like we have the same budget for the new season as we had in League 2. I must admit it doesn't fill you full of confidence but we're only making asumptions so lets wait and see. I'm glad people aren't making knee jerk reactions and talking about us being relegated next season........oh

Leonard

Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:20 pm

Perhaps now we can get a manager who knows how to motivate and encourage creative play, instead of an organised bore. :roll:

Good riddance.

stafflers
UTS Regular

Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:22 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
stafflers wrote:
ShropsSaddler wrote:We need to know both sides of this story before we can PROPERLY and RATIONALLY comment.

I agree.

It's also interesting that a number of posters were demanding that Richard Money left a few weeks ago. If I recall correctly thread was called "eff off money" or something like that.

Now those very same people have exactly what they want and are demanding that Jeff Bonser "effs off" because they have what they called for a few weeks ago.

Some posts on here are pathetic.

Surprise Surprise Stafflers standing up for his employer/special friend :roll:

Wow. Somebody else who can't read what is in front of them but who prefers to reply with petty insults which have nothing to do with what's written.

Where, in my post, can you find anything which is "standing up for" anybody?

Ian Gittins

Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:24 pm

Yes, good riddance the organised bore who won us a title in his first year then built on it.

Honestly. Sometimes you read this site and words fail you.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:43 pm

Ian Gittins wrote:Yes, good riddance the organised bore who won us a title in his first year then built on it.

Honestly. Sometimes you read this site and words fail you.

Spot on bruv.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:54 pm

I'd like to place on record my thanks to Richard Money for his contribution to the Club over the past two years. I, for one, will not forget the scenes towards the end of last year and the optimism generated in the run up to Xmas this year. He is the reason I have started to go home and away on a regular basis again.

I hope he finds a club that matches his own ambition and ability but have a feeling he's destined for his old stamping ground at Luton.

My last hope is that he waved to Bonser on his way out, but only used two fingers. It seems a lot of fans may be doing this next year. It looks like we are beginning to implode. Very sad :cry:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:55 pm

OldPenkSaddler wrote:I'd like to place on record my thanks to Richard Money for his contribution to the Club over the past two years. I, for one, will not forget the scenes towards the end of last year and the optimism generated in the run up to Xmas this year. He is the reason I have started to go home and away on a regular basis again.

I hope he finds a club that matches his own ambition and ability but have a feeling he's destined for his old stamping ground at Luton.

My last hope is that he waved to Bonser on his way out, but only used two fingers. It seems a lot of fans may be doing this next year. It looks like we are beginning to implode. Very sad :cry:

Spot on. Good post.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:02 pm

OldPenkSaddler wrote:I'd like to place on record my thanks to Richard Money for his contribution to the Club over the past two years. I, for one, will not forget the scenes towards the end of last year and the optimism generated in the run up to Xmas this year. He is the reason I have started to go home and away on a regular basis again.

Totally agree Kev, thank you DD for giving us THAT day in Swindon last season. It will live with me for a long time to come and it will have to because I can't see us repeating that any time soon. Good luck wherever you are going DD and I hope you get the backing Walsall FC were too tight to give you. Next season I shall be spending my bit of spare cash elsewhere :twisted:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:03 pm

This is a grave error.

Next season, marginal investment could have seen us as an effective force challenging for automatic promotion. Now we have to take account of a random new manager who will need time to bed down and get the best from the players. Several people seem to have forgotten that winning games takes a certain level of skill and aptitude on behalf of the encumbant boss.

It seems woefully short-sighted for some of the supporters of a team in our position to delight in the fact that a manager who could, and did deliver the goods, has left.

Furthermore, it seems that concrete evidence, rather than supposition, for the lack of meaningful investment in the future has come to light and is the principle reason for the departure of the manager.

Taken together, it is anyone's guess where we will finish next season. I would suggest somewhere below 10th.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:05 pm

Ode to Richard Money

"Your Song"
(Music: Elton John Lyrics: King Crimson)

A song for Richard Money, manages my side
Just to let him know how much I’m bursting with pride
I’ve never met you Richard, but if I could
I'd buy you a pint or two, I really would

If I was a sculptor, a statue I’d make
Or a baker, with some pastry for a celebration cake
I know it's not much but it's the best I can do
My gift is my song and this one's for you

And you can tell everybody this is your song
It may be quite simple but now we’re in League One
I hope you don't mind
I hope you don't mind that we ask you to stay
And take us to the Championship, its where we want to play

Repeat chorus until told to extinguish candle by stewards.

:(

Bernie
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:06 pm

What a pity this did not happen twelve months ago.

Richard Money did what was required last season in bringing discipline and organisation. His job was to win promotion and he did that. He did it with boring, and often ugly football, but he did it. If he had left a year ago we would all be grateful to him for a job not well done, but done all the same.

This season his limitations as a manager, which were pretty clear last season, have become obvious. He is useless in the transfer market, bringing an embarrassing collection of deadbeats; wasting much of the meagre budget on rubbish. He has no idea how to deal with forwards or creative players in general. In his two years at the club none of our forward players improved at all. He is tactically pretty ordinary, as is clear from his substitutions and team selection. He is terrible at public relations, alienating the paying supporters.

I dread to think what the team would have been like next season after another load of Money's super summer signings.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:07 pm

Haven't had chance to read through whole topic. When had the call, was shocked but then stopped and thought about it and the realisation hit in.

I am disappointed naturally-last season was great but in some senses, the football to me was secondary as as fans we came together and were part of the club rising again. What disappoints me most is the realisation that the reason he has gone are the assurances that he wanted so he could take the club forward, which to me showed that he wanted to take club forward, were not forthcoming from Bonser!

Its same old Bonser-wants everything on cheap and probably thinks as we did it once i getting in Championship on shoe-string under Graydon, we can do it again.

Thanks Dicky and to some extent, well done for sticking to your principles!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:11 pm

Bernie wrote:What a pity this did not happen twelve months ago.

Richard Money did what was required last season in bringing discipline and organisation. His job was to win promotion and he did that. He did it with boring, and often ugly football, but he did it. If he had left a year ago we would all be grateful to him for a job not well done, but done all the same.

This season his limitations as a manager, which were pretty clear last season, have become obvious. He is useless in the transfer market, bringing an embarrassing collection of deadbeats; wasting much of the meagre budget on rubbish. He has no idea how to deal with forwards or creative players in general. In his two years at the club none of our forward players improved at all. He is tactically pretty ordinary, as is clear from his substitutions and team selection. He is terrible at public relations, alienating the paying supporters.

I dread to think what the team would have been like next season after another load of Money's super summer signings.

Amazing to think how bad he supposedly was and got us to within 2 games of the playoffs despite all the setbacks. Wait until a really bad manager comes along, I want to really see how badly you can whine.....

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:11 pm

Was it Malcolm Mclaren or Johnny Rotten that said

"Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"

Jane

Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:14 pm

Can't say I'm bothered about him going as I was totally bored by watching his style of football and I was fed-up of his constant moaning at the fans. What bothers me more is the reason he has probably left, ie lack of assurances on finances next year. This doesn't look good for next season, whoever's in charge.

kevin
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:16 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:Let's be a wee bit sensible and rational about this until SOMEONE comes out and tells us the full story eh? (assuming we ever DO hear it)

Shropshire...............which trees are blocking your view of the woods ?

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:17 pm

Jane wrote:Can't say I'm bothered about him going as I was totally bored by watching his style of football and I was fed-up of his constant moaning at the fans. What bothers me more is the reason he has probably left, ie lack of assurances on finances next year. This doesn't look good for next season, whoever's in charge.

I'm not all that bothered about him going now I think about it, apart from the implied reason for his departure. But there may be more to it than that (he might just think he'll be able to get a job in the Championship next season) so I won't get the razor blades out just yet. Bonser does have a habit of pulling rabbits out of hats when appointing managers, after all (three of his appointments won us promotion in their first season).

geoff skillet
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:30 pm

great post bernie :mrgreen:

Nottingham Forest :idea:.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:37 pm

Agree with what Deano and Cheesebag have to say

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:44 pm

Cheesebag wrote:Was it Malcolm Mclaren or Johnny Rotten that said

It was Mr Lydon, and yes I do.

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:00 pm

tape66 wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:Was it Malcolm Mclaren or Johnny Rotten that said

It was Mr Lydon, and yes I do.

It was Mr Rotton - in Winterland Ballroom, San Francisco - last gig

I am now trying to find it on the net

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:10 pm

Dicky on WM - not fallen out with club, good relationship with chairman, felt once we had come out of the play-offs that the time to leave was nigh. He doesn't want failure on his CV!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:14 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:Dicky on WM - not fallen out with club, good relationship with chairman, felt once we had come out of the play-offs that the time to leave was nigh. He doesn't want failure on his CV!

Yes, but do you believe it?

sj
Site Addict

Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:16 pm

Thefuturesbright------- Well? Its Christmas.

Money and Lee the two best managers of the last 50 years.

Louise
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:19 pm

Thank you Richard Money for 2 years of hard work and application to the job.
No employee would want to work for an employer who consistently undermines them and devalues their contribution.
Moneys record will stand him in good stead in gaining new employment and Im sure that he will have no problem in getting a new job v soon.
Any applicants interested need only put on their application form YES MR BONSER thats the only qualifications and skills required.
A sad day for Walsall Football club , as i tell my children when i drag them to watch Walsall play its Character Building , but its becoming increasingly difficult to convince them to support their local team when they see no ambition and no hope.
Thats the real abiding legacy - lose your support base and you lose future generations.

beckford09

Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:20 pm

Sadly it's delusional attitudes like this that your chairman thrives on. Low expectatios and low pressure.
Limitations as a manager? wtf are you on, promoted last season, little or no money/wages put into the squad and two of the clubs best young talents sold halfway through the season (while you were in play offs/promotion hunt) without replacement.

What a pity this did not happen twelve months ago.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:22 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:Dicky on WM - not fallen out with club, good relationship with chairman, felt once we had come out of the play-offs that the time to leave was nigh. He doesn't want failure on his CV!

Yes, but do you believe it?

Don't really care... I am disappointed that it appears there wont be much (if any) extra cash to spend, but Money knew how things were when he joined the club - nothing has changed. Walsall NEVER spend money, when chuck your teddy out of the pram now? He did a good job getting us back to where we were - then made some very odd comments and decisions recently. "I am not quiting" a week ago! Now he has quit.

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then