Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Dicky's gone

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Re: Dicky's gone

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:44 pm

Ian Gittins wrote:I would guess that there are two reasons Money has gone. One is clearly, as everybody has stated, the unwillingness of the chairman to invest adequately in the playing side of the club. The other is the failure of many of our fans to be supporters, and their preference for slagging off a manager who won us a title and nearly got us into a play-off zone in his two years in charge. Sadly, they are the same people who lambasted Colin Lee and helped him to get disillusioned with this club, and chances are they will do the same with the next decent manager we get, because they are serial whingers who know no better and whose glass is perennially half-empty. It may not be the end of the world, if we can hold on to Mullen and get a Kinsella or David Kelly figure in, but right now, it's very bad news, particularly as regards future levels of intended non-investment in the club.

Colin Lee got disillusioned with the club not because of the fans, but because of Bonser.

Fans at Walsall are no different to any other fans up and down the country. They get pissed off when we're crap, and they're happy when we're good. Even with this seasons playoff near-miss, we've been incredibly poor at home - even in the games we've won. What kind of entertainment is that for the home fans? It wasn't down to bad luck that we've only won 7 of 22 at home? It was down to negative tactics. If the tactics are negative, why aren't the fans allowed to say "thats crap" ?

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:45 pm

We don't know what has been said.

For all we know Bonser could've offered him a lot more than we think and yet he still walked.

I think Dicky "toys out the pram" Dosh was planning this for months guys.

Bonser has a lot to answer for but i think Money was always going to go.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:46 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote: ****, We really aren't going to invest are we? :oops: :oops:

That was my initial reaction too.

I'm not shocked that we've lost him as I didn't expect him to be in charge come the start of next season, but I expected it to be because he was poached by a more ambitious club, not because he has resigned over funding (presumably).

Either:
1) DD has gone to JB and asked about next seasons budget to be told its not as much as DD wants, and he's therefore spat his dummy out and quit. Or,
2) DD fancies his chances of getting a bigger job and thinks his chances will improve if he's out of work and a new club don't have to pay compensation for him. Also, it gives us the most time to sort out a replacement and reorganise for next season.

I suspect it's the former and thats a big worry but, as we're only the loyal supporters, I guess we'll never know. One thing that is certain is that DD has kept up the habit of saying one thing to the press "I have no intention of leaving this football club whatsoever", and immediately doing the exact opposite.

I've not renewed my season ticket and I was never going too (work reasons as opposed to out of spite at JB), and at first I was gutted, because I thought that we might go up and I wouldn't be able to renew for next year. Now I'm glad I'm moving away.

Thanks for the memories DD, and all the best for the future.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:47 pm

saddlersam wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:Not in the least bit shocked. Listed to him on WM this morning and he sounded completely disillusioned to be honest. Stabbed in the back by the owner,

………who sold his star players from under him.

………In the same way as he ordered Merson to clear out Jorge, Fryatt, Ziggy et al, and then didn’t have the guts to sack him.

………In the same way as he ordered Colin Lee not to play Paul Ritchie.

………In the same way as he gobbed off about Colin Lee, until he (Bonser)settled out of court

………In the same way he promised us a strike force to be proud of.

………In the same way as ITV digital wouldn’t effect us, but rather strangely did, for years, and years.

And on, and on, and on…..

Gutless, greedy little man.

You're wrong there. Jorge especially was down to Merson. Merson admitted that.

I don't think I am tbh. ANYTHING that Merson admits to is going to be dubious in the extreme. I'd rather have it from one of the players who formed part of the Bonscum cull of 'high earners/saleable assets.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:48 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Yes I generally have 8 Million quid floating around in my back pocket.

Well exactly!! Therefore your "let's get a group together" has no credibility. Face facts, we're just pawns in the game. No influence really. Accept it and watch the club on that basis or don't bother supporting them anymore. Life gets a lot easier when you're more laid back about it :wink:

If, and that's IF, Mr Bonser is everything that he is made out to be, he won't REALLY care whether we support or not. And "getting together focus groups" won't bother him. He's sat on a nice little earner in which football plays only a bit part, to which he only releases limited funds. Pension fund still picks up the rent, thanks very much. Sunday market still a roaring success. Crowds of 3-4,000+ most weeks.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:49 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote: ****, We really aren't going to invest are we? :oops: :oops:

That was my initial reaction too.

I'm not shocked that we've lost him as I didn't expect him to be in charge come the start of next season, but I expected it to be because he was poached by a more ambitious club, not because he has resigned over funding (presumably).

I don't really care that he's gone to be honest. He was above average as far as managers in this division go, but far from the best. What bothers me is what it indicates about the internal workings of the club.

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:49 pm

bangsection on 16th March wrote:Interestingly enough PH, the theory that you have (fair-minded as ever!) advanced in the past - that JB will hand DD a war chest for a concerted assault on League 1 next season - is about to be put to the test. Because if DD does leave in the summer we'll have our answer.

As predicted, if a little earlier than expected.

For those waiting for the "facts" to come out before criticising our beloved Chairman it will be interesting to see if Dicky gives his side of the story. Presumably the fact that he has resigned rather than taking a payoff means that there won't be a confidentiality clause...

The fact that DD was never the easiest manager to like will undoubtedly lessen the outrage at his departure. But this shouldn't blind us to the clear implications of DD's resignation for the next few seasons - minimal investment, minimal optimism, maximum pension contributions.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:50 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:
saddlersam wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:Not in the least bit shocked. Listed to him on WM this morning and he sounded completely disillusioned to be honest. Stabbed in the back by the owner,

………who sold his star players from under him.

………In the same way as he ordered Merson to clear out Jorge, Fryatt, Ziggy et al, and then didn’t have the guts to sack him.

………In the same way as he ordered Colin Lee not to play Paul Ritchie.

………In the same way as he gobbed off about Colin Lee, until he (Bonser)settled out of court

………In the same way he promised us a strike force to be proud of.

………In the same way as ITV digital wouldn’t effect us, but rather strangely did, for years, and years.

And on, and on, and on…..

Gutless, greedy little man.

You're wrong there. Jorge especially was down to Merson. Merson admitted that.

I don't think I am tbh. ANYTHING that Merson admits to is going to be dubious in the extreme. I'd rather have it from one of the players who formed part of the Bonscum cull of 'high earners/saleable assets.

He said he let Jorge go when he did because he was unhappy. Jorge said he'd saty till the end of the season but Merscum (being the nice bloke, sorry idoit, degenerative drunk he is) let him go early. Therefore relegating us come Christmas.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:51 pm

Sam, I think the whole "jorge being sad" was a line to cover the fact we needed his wages off the bill.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:51 pm

bangsection wrote:
bangsection on 16th March wrote:Interestingly enough PH, the theory that you have (fair-minded as ever!) advanced in the past - that JB will hand DD a war chest for a concerted assault on League 1 next season - is about to be put to the test. Because if DD does leave in the summer we'll have our answer.

As predicted, if a little earlier than expected.

For those waiting for the "facts" to come out before criticising our beloved Chairman it will be interesting to see if Dicky gives his side of the story. Presumably the fact that he has resigned rather than taking a payoff means that there won't be a confidentiality clause...

The fact that DD was never the easiest manager to like will undoubtedly lessen the outrage at his departure. But this shouldn't blind us to the clear implications of DD's resignation for the next few seasons - minimal investment, minimal optimism, maximum pension contributions.

As I've said to Metfan elsewhere, this definitely shifts the balance onto the "JB's not going to invest" side of the fence. I've no problem with saying that it looks like I was very much mistaken.

Still don't think there was enough evidence to know that until today though! :wink: :wink:

Graydon48
Glitterati

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:52 pm

Pre xmas= Dann Fox RIcketts promotin dreams.
Post xmas , no Fox, Dann Ricketts promotion dreams in tatters.
And now no manager, I presume next to nowt budget no hope.
Quick get down the bookies place your bets on us going down next season before the bookies make us nailed on favourites.
Nice one Bonser can't wait for your coments.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:53 pm

Seriously now, we have gone form IN A DAY. From Promotion hopefuls, to a relegation battle next year. Unbelievable.

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:54 pm

Very dissappointed,but not surprised I must say.
Now where do we go from here please.

Let's just imagine what the Situations vacant poster might say eh.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:55 pm

Graydon48 wrote:Pre xmas= Dann Fox RIcketts promotin dreams.
Post xmas , no Fox, Dann Ricketts promotion dreams in tatters.
And now no manager, I presume next to nowt budget no hope.
Quick get down the bookies place your bets on us going down next season before the bookies make us nailed on favourites.
Nice one Bonser can't wait for your coments.

Can this be placed on a "sticky" admins? To look back at when we're in the play-offs, or perhaps even in an automatic promotion spot, next year? :D :D

bobito

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:55 pm

stafflers wrote:
ShropsSaddler wrote:We need to know both sides of this story before we can PROPERLY and RATIONALLY comment.

I agree.

It's also interesting that a number of posters were demanding that Richard Money left a few weeks ago. If I recall correctly thread was called "eff off money" or something like that.

Now those very same people have exactly what they want and are demanding that Jeff Bonser "effs off" because they have what they called for a few weeks ago.

Some posts on here are pathetic.

stafflers,
Are you Bonsers son or a close relative ?, because as soon as someone dares to have a go at him for anything, you jump right in and defend him as if your life depends on Bonser being in charge.
If you are related to him, good on yer for sticking up for him, if you are not related to him then I fear for your sanity.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:56 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Seriously now, we have gone form IN A DAY. From Promotion hopefuls, to a relegation battle next year. Unbelievable.

Pack that in! What a ridiculous statement.

If Money had done more in the loan field we'd have been ok. Hardly in one day either. Since January. And to me it sounds like Money certainly bigged up Cov to at least Fox.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:57 pm

Surprised at the timing, but not surprised at the news. I'm very disappointed about it; Money must have the best record as Walsall manager in percentage of wins and draws than anyone else. However, this is, as ever, a massive appointment. Kinsella or Kelly will be favourites...but when do we ever know what kind of manager Bonsor is going to appoint? I think Lee was the only appointment anyone could have predicted.

However, I wouldn't over-react like Daz's comment above. This is not a sign that we will be challenging for survival instead of promotion next season - I wonder whether Money thinks he has taken a club of our resources as far as he can. We all know that there are, and have been, managers which have come into the club and made a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Given the right appointment, there is no reason whatsoever why we can't challenge for promotion next season.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:57 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Seriously now, we have gone form IN A DAY. From Promotion hopefuls, to a relegation battle next year. Unbelievable.

Have a word with yourself.

Start of last season - a general feeling that we could easily go into the conference. Result = promotion

Under Ray Graydon - no players, favourites for relegation. Result = promotion.

This is a very disappointing day, emotions run high.....but have a think before spouting such rubbish. If the right appointment is made, there is NO reason why we can't progress from here. And, Merson apart, Bonser does have a good track record in his appointments.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:58 pm

saddlersam wrote:

If Money had done more in the loan field we'd have been ok. Hardly in one day either. Since January. And to me it sounds like Money certainly bigged up Cov to at least Fox.

Look at my stats thread sir. Look at the team we have now's current form. Relegation fodder.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:59 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
saddlersam wrote:

Look at my stats thread sir. Look at the team we have now's current form. Relegation fodder.

With who as manager?!!!!

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:00 pm

saddlersam wrote:

We have an entire summer to build again, Daz. We were always going to rebuild the squad, whether Money was manager or not. Perhaps rebuilding with fresh ideas might be a positive?

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:01 pm

Jorge14 wrote:
saddlersam wrote:

We have an entire summer to build again, Daz. We were always going to rebuild the squad, whether Money was manager or not. Perhaps rebuilding with fresh ideas might be a positive?

We have just lost our manager 4 days after he wanted assurances over the playing budget for the summer. Does that not tell you something? :idea:

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:04 pm

Well thanks very much Jeff, you've got the first manager to win us a trophy in nearly 50 years to leave and you haven't had to pay a penny. You must be very pleased with yourself. As supporters point out (and I remember it), you got us out of a hole and saved the club. However since that point, it appears that saving the club has justified more and more outrageous spin over the best part of 20 years, as others have outlined above.

It is unfortunate that a at a time when a total clean sweep is needed, the main obstacle will prevent any such thing. Surely the only strategy now is to run the club to sell players and pay off his loan as quickly as possible, so that it has a chance of progress from whatever point we're at when we're clear. It is utterly ridiculous that this is the situation we find ourselves in when in 8th place of the third tier, supposedly looking to push on. But yet again, we could find ourselves going down before we rise again. How many times does the club have to re-built to satisfy one man?

We have 8 contracted players and are fortunate that Jimmy Mullen can step in for the short term. What an absolute fiasco. What player in their right mind would come here now, when the same old Bonser-Taylor regime reigns unopposed?

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:05 pm

Jorge14 wrote:
saddlersam wrote:

We have just lost our manager 4 days after he wanted assurances over the playing budget for the summer. Does that not tell you something? :idea:

He was never going to stay. I'm certain of that. We were his stepping stone. Nothing more.

southern saddler

Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:21 pm

Razorblades anyone? Why is everyone so depressed? Its great news. Come on Jimmy, prove beyond a doubt that money wasnt all he was cracked up to be.

Duke
Site Addict

first reaction sad and disappointed to see him go . now i've had time to reflect due to the site crashing . we have lost good managers before and i'm sure we will again .
Walsall football club will go on thats what matters.
Thanks for turning our club around Mr Money , thanks for our second title, and best wishes for the future.

UP THE SADDLERS

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Duke wrote:first reaction sad and disappointed to see him go . now i've had time to reflect due to the site crashing . we have lost good managers before and i'm sure we will again .
Thanks for turning our club around Mr Money , thanks for our second title, and best wishes for the future.

UP THE SADDLERS

..Thanks Jeff. :roll:

:lol:

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:24 pm

southern saddler wrote:Razorblades anyone? Why is everyone so depressed? Its great news. Come on Jimmy, prove beyond a doubt that money wasnt all he was cracked up to be.

It's not bad news because he's not going to be manager anymore. It's bad news because of the way that it's happened and what it tells us about our likely budget for next season.

Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:36 pm

bobito wrote:
stafflers wrote:
ShropsSaddler wrote:We need to know both sides of this story before we can PROPERLY and RATIONALLY comment.

I agree.

It's also interesting that a number of posters were demanding that Richard Money left a few weeks ago. If I recall correctly thread was called "eff off money" or something like that.

Now those very same people have exactly what they want and are demanding that Jeff Bonser "effs off" because they have what they called for a few weeks ago.

Some posts on here are pathetic.

stafflers,
Are you Bonsers son or a close relative ?, because as soon as someone dares to have a go at him for anything, you jump right in and defend him as if your life depends on Bonser being in charge.
If you are related to him, good on yer for sticking up for him, if you are not related to him then I fear for your sanity.

I'm afraid I have to agree with Stafflers on this one, there has been moan after moan about Dicky all year now he's gone its all Bonsers fault. I'm not party to what goes on behind the scenes at the club and I was as disappointed at losing Fox and Dann in January as anyone, but I am thankful we are not in Bournemouths position, or Lutons position. DD came in and gave us fresh impetus last year which we have built on this year with a threadbare squad, we have to hope for another Colin Lee or Sir Ray next year to move us on even further forward. Has Jeff denied DD the funds he wanted or has a bigger club come knocking and Dicky has taken the offer?

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:37 pm

Duke wrote:first reaction sad and disappointed to see him go . now i've had time to reflect due to the site crashing . we have lost good managers before and i'm sure we will again .

UP THE SADDLERS

..Thanks Jeff. :roll:

:lol:

do you blame Bonser for the war in Iraq :lol:

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then