Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southampton (A) League 1 Saturday 7/5/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
boringteacher
UTS Legend

Re: Southampton (A) League 1 Saturday 7/5/11.

Sat May 07, 2011 5:12 pm

And no thanks at all to dingle FM. Nice to hear dongle hale telling us about what great coverage they've given us today. Pity this couldn't extend to the pennies (in broadcasting terms) to cover the commentary on some of our away games. He commented on no other radio stations not even sending reporters to the game. Actually, they don't have to, they are commercial. However, your BBC charter (and my £120 licence fee) tells us how you are going to provide for the whole of your audience - maybe, your self proclaimed title as "Your premiership station" was a bit of a giveaway this year.

No point complaining fellow dlers - the BBC will give you a standard email back and baglady regan will spout some poo about financial restraint etc (if he feels pressured enough by the corporate mongs at the BBC) to reply.

Having listened to it via jtv, radio solent was miles better than you creeps anyhow Franksy.

Off now to drink more anyhow! UTS

SWS1

Sat May 07, 2011 5:16 pm

Jan 3 2011

League Div1 last eight
Swindon 28
Orient 27
Plymouth 27
Tranmere 25
Bristol Rovers 22
Yeovil 20
Dagenham 18
Walsall 17

Interesting to note what happened to the bottom 8 subsequent to this nadir in our fortunes.

Swindon imploded and finished up bottom.
Orient never looked back and finished one point off the play-offs
Plymouth were deducted those 10 points - otherwise they would have survived and we'd have gone down!
Tranmere pulled themselves together and finished comfortably.
Bristol Rovers lost two managers, and THE PLOT and went down with a terrible defensive record.
Yeovil pulled their socks up and finished safe enough.
Daggers made a good effort but came up short at the death, only one point from safety!

Funny old game, football.
:wink:

cal's a saddler
UTS Regular

Sat May 07, 2011 6:04 pm

The most torturous hours spent in a pub waiting for the results. Couldnt eat, couldnt leave screen for a wee! May not have been able to go in person but loved spending the time with best brother in the world celebrating staying in Division 1.
Well done Deano and the Super Saddlers xx

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat May 07, 2011 6:10 pm

boringteacher wrote:And no thanks at all to dingle FM. Nice to hear dongle hale telling us about what great coverage they've given us today. Pity this couldn't extend to the pennies (in broadcasting terms) to cover the commentary on some of our away games. He commented on no other radio stations not even sending reporters to the game. Actually, they don't have to, they are commercial. However, your BBC charter (and my £120 licence fee) tells us how you are going to provide for the whole of your audience - maybe, your self proclaimed title as "Your premiership station" was a bit of a giveaway this year.

There coverage would have been good for a normal saturday.

Birmingham v Newcastle was on live, how pointless was that?! Its almost laughable.

I also agree with the sentiments of dont bother complaining. They need the villa and wolves to go down so the arm chairs are re filled and there are more listeners, otherwise they will probably get cut. Id love too see Franksys face.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat May 07, 2011 6:55 pm

How vital was that Charlton win

Well done Deano and the lads

well done the fans outstanding support

we done Peterborough

UTS :D

claire123saddler

Sat May 07, 2011 7:07 pm

Great result. I've never felt so stressed listening to the radio ever. I mean i get stressed out at home games so i have full respect for all that made the trip to Saint Mary's.

And as for BBC WM, don't start me. I think we should feel privileged that they even mentioned us, since we're such a little club! :evil:

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat May 07, 2011 7:12 pm

just got home and now i have ordered a chinky and ill get a chilled beer out fridge.

well done all the playing and coaching staff at walsall fc
dead and buried at xmas with an inept manager taking us nowhere.
along comes sir smith and grinds out just enough points to keep us up. tremendous effort mr smith.

on todays match not that were bothered but southampton bossed most of the match and good luck to them they were very good team.
we lost 2 quick goals halfway through first half and could have been a lot worse if it wasnt for walker who made some tremendous saves again.
richards still short on confidence but well forgive him for now been a long hard season for him.
got back into it on stroke on halftime with a wonder goal from julian gray and then we had the first 15 minutes and could have possibly have levelled on a couple of occasions and had a goal ruled out by a linesman who must have been knocking on for 90!
southampton scored third and was equally a good goal but we knew we were ok as posh were 2 or 3 up by then.
fantstaic support by 1700 saddlers very noisy and positive all the way through and made the hairs satnd up on my neck a few times with the singing and the smiling.
another long hard season over with and we scraped it but league table doesnt lie and thanks to plymouth we survived by one point but most of all with our dignity belief passion and our pride.
well done all involved

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat May 07, 2011 7:12 pm

Just got back in. Absolutely wiped out. Most people would turn their nose up at League One football, but this was as good as it gets. You can keep the Premier League and the Champions League, this was fantastic. I still want to see the disallowed goal. Was Macken offside? That linesman was dodgy all game. Anyway who cares?

They'll never take our League-One-dom!!

I'm off to get another beer from the fridge.....

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat May 07, 2011 8:24 pm

carolineb wrote:WOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Well done boys and my husband!!!!

du du du duh ANDY BUTLER!!

At the end Butler must have fought his way through 20,000 home fans on the pitch to come over and celebrate with the Walsall supporters, tearing off his shirt like a man possessed. I think his half a season with us has already propelled him into the pantheon of Walsall legends. That said, he was a bit rubbish today, I thought :wink:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat May 07, 2011 8:30 pm

It was a tense afternoon but the frequent updates we were receiving from London Road helped steady the nerves and lift the spirits - so, can I say "Well done, Posh, and thank you!"?

Walker - MotM - surely a contract for next season?

Taundry - not too bad, actually. He was stitched up, good and proper, for their second goal but he had no support/help in front of him from Cook.
Butler - the usual
Lancashire - solid game on his return to St. Mary's
Williams - not so sound as he has been - was well and truly done over by Chamberlain for their 3rd goal.

Gbarssin - wasn't really on the field long enough to make an impression

Cook - very disappointing, never really hurt Saints with his undoubted talent
Laird - quiet, the game passed him by
Richards - still works hard and never hides but he is SOOO slow in thought and movement that he is frequently caught in possession and is often pressured into giving the ball away.
Gray - cracking goal but didn't contribute much else. Someone should tell him that you try to dribble round 4 or 5 opponents in THEIR third of the field - not ours!

Macken - ploughed a lone furrow at the start until Grigg was brought on, in the first half, to support him. He is even slower than Richards!

Grigg (for Gbarssin) - very disappointed with Will. He missed two very good chances in the second half.
Byfield (for Macken) - not on for long - did nothing
Ledesma (for Cook) - looked dangerous in flashes.

The first half was very one-sided. Putting it bluntly, we were awful. However, the second half saw us take control. Grigg missed two good chances, Macken had one disallowed for off-side and it looked as if we might snatch a draw. Then Saints brought on their "impact substitute", Chamberlain, and he scored their 3rd with their first shot of the half!

It was game over but no-one cared because the good news was coming through from Peterborough. Butler, Byfield and Macken fought their way through the Saints fans on the pitch to come over and celebrate with the Saddlers fans.

Footnote:- If I were Deano, I don't think that I would appreciate being called a "ginger Mourinho"! :mrgreen:

realist saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat May 07, 2011 8:31 pm

Wiped out - support toaday was incredible, outsang St. marys - how there fans stood in the streets on the way back to the park and ride clapping all the Walsall fans for their efforts will stay long in the memory.

Well done Dean Smith, Well done Walsall and well done the rest of the 1700, no-one puts a party on when your almost relegated like we do, absolutely unbelievable, proud, very proud, and to feel like this after the first half of the season, incredible

Duke
Site Addict

Sat May 07, 2011 8:53 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Footnote:- If I were Deano, I don't think that I would appreciate being called a "ginger Mourinho"! :mrgreen:

Said on WM after the game his son calls him ginger going grey mourinho :D

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sat May 07, 2011 8:57 pm

Great Atmosphere today and well played the lad who gave Southampton a game and maybe deserve to get a point.

Funniest moment was at the end when some of the Walsall players came over to the fans. There was a row of police and stewards to stop walsall fans getting on the pitch and they wouldn't let Richard Taundry leave, thinking he was a fan. :D . Not the first time this season he's struggled to convince people he's a professional footballer. :D

P.S. Taundry was excellent today as were Walker, Butler, Lancashire, Gray and Macken.

UTS

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat May 07, 2011 9:00 pm

It'll be a long time before Walsall fans are as happy with a defeat!

Well done the lads on survival.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat May 07, 2011 9:14 pm

I'm speechless..

What an atmosphere! I'm trying my hardest to stay up for The Football League Show!!!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat May 07, 2011 9:23 pm

Just got back after a day out that made me proud to be a football supporter.

From the food & drink at the Waterside bar, to the simultaneous survival/promotion celebrations, the day really was one I'll never forget.
There was a moment about five minutes from the end of the game where the stadium announcer confirmed that Peterborough were winning 4-0 and the whole ground errupted - Saints fans were truly sincere in their congratulations to us, as we were to them as they claimed the runners up trophy at the end.

Granted, there was a spell when we were 2-0 down and Peterborough were only 1-0 up where things were pretty nervy, but it was never going to be a day for the faint hearted.
We had a real go at them in the second half and in the space of ten minutes should have had a penalty, hit the post, hit the side netting and had a goal disallowed. We were ultimately outclassed, but defeat to Southampton is certainly no disgrace.

I hope Deano (the ginger Mourinho) and his players, have a few celebratory jars tonight. What a day to be associated with Walsall FC.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat May 07, 2011 9:32 pm

Amazing day - just got back on the Unity bus. I can confirm Asps is in an interesting state ;)

Just lost for words - I thought the second half performance was outstanding. If we add two quality midfielders and two full backs to that side - we might surprise a few people next year.

Speechless. Just incredible.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Southampton (A) League 1 Saturday 7/5/11.

Sat May 07, 2011 9:44 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Amazing day - just got back on the Unity bus. I can confirm Asps is in an interesting state ;)

Just lost for words - I thought the second half performance was outstanding. If we add two quality midfielders and two full backs to that side - we might surprise a few people next year.

Big if! We also need to secure the services of key players from this year. Let's hope the club learn from their mistakes!

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat May 07, 2011 9:50 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:I can confirm Asps is in an interesting state ;)

An interesting choice of adjective there, Metfanwy. I shudder to think how "interesting" he is! :lol: :lol:

SWS1

Sat May 07, 2011 9:54 pm

Still feeling Euphoric (who's she?).
:D

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat May 07, 2011 10:06 pm

A 3-1 defeat away fom home and there's already more than 220 posts in this thread.

Obviously some people only come on here to have a moan. :mrgreen:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat May 07, 2011 10:31 pm

swiftyboy wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Amazing day - just got back on the Unity bus. I can confirm Asps is in an interesting state ;)

Big if! We also need to secure the services of key players from this year. Let's hope the club learn from their mistakes!

We need to not have a mass clear out. Clear out the dead way but build a team around what we already have.

Sign Butler and Ledesma up immediately.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat May 07, 2011 10:35 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Sign Butler and Ledesma up immediately.

Agree on both counts. Give Butler whatever he wants to keep him here as captain for at least the next couple of years.

PT
Site Addict

Sat May 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Our fans were ace today, just magnificent. My throat hurts.

They're a good side - Deano though paid a bit for showing them too much respect as he changed the great formula that had served us so well in recent weeks. Gbarsson was all over the shop and Macken was isolated being he only one up top. BUT the great thing about Deano is that he ain't scared to mix it up early in the game (unlike his predecessor). The Gbarsson selection error had cost us two goals but by rectifying it quickly by reverting to the eleven that should have started we gave them one hell of a game for an hour and could well have equalised as we ran then ragged for twenty minutes at the start of the second half.

Taundry had probably the best game I've seen him have.
Jimmy - unbelievable - that double save towards the end - vintage whacka.
Macken - class

Never been so happy following a defeat. Deano has performed a footballing miracle and he deserves loads of plaudits as do his players who have really shown for him over the last few months.

But, the people I'm most happy for are the 1700 with whom I shared today, the 3,000 who stuck with it at home and the 150 usual suspects at the less sexy aways who might not be "one step beyonding" but their fortitude and somewhat stubborn bloodymindedness has paid off.

I love being a Saddler

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sat May 07, 2011 11:51 pm

I saw one goal

StudentSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat May 07, 2011 11:58 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun May 08, 2011 12:04 am

Asps wrote:I saw one goal

:lol:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun May 08, 2011 12:04 am

Anyone hear my mention on the football league show! Said Deano was the manager of the year! :D :D :D

Bescot_Charlie

Sun May 08, 2011 12:06 am

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Anyone here my mention on the football league show! Said Deano was the manager of the year! :D :D :D

Yeah just!

Good shout :lol:

Was expecting the highlights to be a bit more extended than that!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun May 08, 2011 12:15 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Sign Butler and Ledesma up immediately.

Agree on both counts. Give Butler whatever he wants to keep him here as captain for at least the next couple of years.

If you ask Asps nicely he might give him a big sexy bonus.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season