Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Charlton Athletic (H) League 1 Saturday 30/4/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Charlton Athletic (H) League 1 Saturday 30/4/11.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:34 pm

Well that was fantastic.

Very lucky to not have conceded in the first half, but then again they could have been three down. Many many candidates for MOTM today, everyone played well. Richards played far far better than recently, and even Taundry had a solid game(when he wasnt thinking).

We played good football, passed it nicely, and for once, had spells of dominance in the midfield. Cooks shot that hit the bar deserved a goal. However our goal appeared to come from a Will Grigg sliced shot from a rebound. Who cares :mrgreen:

Walker - Did what he had to do, nearly gifted the opposition a goal dwelling on the ball.
Taundry - Much better from him ,gave the ball away a few times but the crowds reaction when he makes a mistake is far larger than any one else. He made some great tackles.
Butler - He got the MOTM award and he was solid throughout.
Lancashire - Same as Butler.
Williams - He was much improved for me too, he put some tackles in and he cant half whip a ball.

Cook - This lads future is definitely higher than us, he can run, he can pass, he can dribble, he can shoot. He just needs to know when to do what more regularly. Close for MOTM imho.
Richards - Superb on the ball, did his bit defensively.
Laird - Also could have had MOTM, he was everywhere.
Gray - Top game from him too.

Macken - Took all those negative comments from earlier in the season lately, and hes shoved them back in the face of many fans. He is as indispensable as Butler.
Grigg- Ran his socks off and grabbed a goal, he played well.

Subs
Byfield - Pretty good, should have had a goal.
Nicholls - Not much impact.

A note on Dean Smith too, tactically he was spot on today, playing the wingers on their opposite wings caused them problems, plus it enabled us to keep possession and have more shots on goal. Which he had obviously given them free reign over, as we were pinging shots in from all over the place.

Oh and the linesmen were the worst ive seen for a long time.
Last edited by latviancheese on Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kneecap
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:39 pm

Not able to go any longer but how I would have loved to be there today.

For me, that's a ghost of many years past laid very firmly to rest.

I have to say, Dean Smith deserves immense credit for getting us this close to safety. We could actually lose next week and still stay up. Let's hope Southampton win in midweek.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:11 pm

latviancheese wrote:Well that was fantastic.

Very lucky to not have conceded in the first half, but then again they could have been three down. Many many candidates for MOTM today, everyone played well. Richards played far far better than recently, and even Taundry had a solid game(when he wasnt thinking).

We played good football, passed it nicely, and for once, had spells of dominance in the midfield. Cooks shot that hit the bar deserved a goal. However our goal appeared to come from a Will Grigg sliced shot from a rebound. Who cares :mrgreen:

Walker - Did what he had to do, nearly gifted the opposition a goal dwelling on the ball.
Taundry - Much better from him ,gave the ball away a few times but the crowds reaction when he makes a mistake is far larger than any one else. He made some great tackles.
Williams - He was much improved for me too, he put some tackles in and he cant half whip a ball.

Cook - This lads future is definitely higher than us, he can run, he can pass, he can dribble, he can shoot. He just needs to know when to do what more regularly. Close for MOTM imho.

Macken - Took all those negative comments from earlier in the season lately, and hes shoved them back in the face of many fans. He is as indispensable as Butler.

Subs

A note on Dean Smith too, tactically he was spot on today, playing the wingers on their opposite wings caused them problems, plus it enabled us to keep possession and have more shots on goal. Which he had obviously given them free reign over, as we were pinging shots in from all over the place.

Cannot disagree with anything in LC's summary. We even kept a clean sheet somehow to my amazement. I thought that Charlton were absolutely shite, and I look forward to their financial implosion (which isn't too far away by all accounts) given the attitude of those few cockernee chavs who bothered to grace us with their presence.

Here's starting the prayers to Jehovah for next week. UTS

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:04 pm

Very comfortable win today from the lads. Brilliant performance and the atmosphere was at times awesome.

Walker - Had virtually nothing to do all game but dealt with whatever came to him as normal. 7/10
Taundry - Defensively i have no problem with him but going forward he does not have a clue what to do with the ball. 7/10
Butler - Superb as always, really hope we sign him up for next season. 10/10
Lancashire - Same as butler. 10/10
Williams - Thought he was immense today, brilliant defending and also very good going forward. 8/10
Gray - In and out of the game but when in the game he was a big threat to them. 7/10
Richards - Finally, it's about time we had a performance of him. Probably should have scored in the 1st half and was like the Richards of old. 8/10
Laird - Thought him and Richards looked very good together in the middle of the park. Worked hard. 7/10
Cook - Best ive seen of him and was very unlucky with the shot that hit the bar. 7/10
Macken - Quieter than usual but still had a decent game. Should have scored before Gray. 7/10
Grigg - I love him. Gets better every time i see him. 8/10

I think that Dagenham wont get anything at Peterborough next week and i also think Plymouth are gone too so hopefully the boys have done enough.
Superb stuff from the lads and i love you Deano !!

UTS.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:15 pm

Subs

No need for me to right a match report, this is spot on!

PT
Site Addict

Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:45 pm

Agree with Latvian.

We were great today, could have had more, their keeper was definitely their MOTM. Good support from our lot too.

Let's now ensure we take the performance and the support to St Mary's next week. I'm already excited.

geoff skillet
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:24 pm

im all for supporting out young players, and cringe when they're slated, but:

"Taundry - Much better from him ,gave the ball away a few times but the crowds reaction when he makes a mistake is far larger than any one else. He made some great tackles." He had a shocker. He's never a fullback. He shows some commitment, but his reading of the game, positional sense, tackling, and even distribution are way short of where they need to be. being protected by the left footed gray left us very weak on the right. we were lucky not to concede from at least one of his mistakes/mistimed tackles/winger waltzing past him with the ball.

"Butler - He got the MOTM award and he was solid throughout." clear MOTM.

"Lancashire - Same as Butler." he was nowhere near as influential as Butler.

"Cook - This lads future is definitely higher than us, he can run, he can pass, he can dribble, he can shoot. He just needs to know when to do what more regularly. Close for MOTM imho." He wasnt that good, and he and Gray both looked awkward having to cut inside at all times. he has loads of potential. i hope we are at least trying to keep hold of him.

"Laird - Also could have had MOTM, he was everywhere." Disagree. I thought Richards overshadowed him.

"Macken - Took all those negative comments from earlier in the season lately, and hes shoved them back in the face of many fans. He is as indispensable as Butler." Very good game.

"Grigg- Ran his socks off and grabbed a goal, he played well." He scored. Which is nice. but i thought he had a very poor game. the goal was fortunate in that the ball came to him. his lack of anticipation is startling. he ought to be making runs into space & making himself available, and gambling that a defender might make a mistake. he's not a scrapper, and that's fine, but he needs to put far more work in. i thought he was poor throughout & i don't think he's good enough. Macken carried him, and shouldn't need to. "Ran his socks off" i find amazing. he didn't run anywhere near enough for me.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:31 pm

great performance outstanding result . brilliant effort by all

UTS

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:35 pm

Good performance, and more importantly 3 points. There keeper made some excellent saves or else it could would and should have been more. Butler was truly immense, MOTM by miles. Maclen, Cook, Richards, Laird, Lancashire and Williams were all excellent. Cook's shot deserved a goal, it and he was excellent. He's the only player we have willing to pick the ball up on the half way line and run at defenders, beat them and fire a shot at goal. He wont return next season.

Gray barely did anything other than score, his arrogant chip on the shoulder celebration was also funny.

Taundry was still garbage and im not at all convinced by Grigg, although he was slightly better today than at Oldham. Hopefully after a few more years of working his trade he'l proove to be a handy lower league striker.

Surprisingly, Byfield was actually lively when he came on too.

UTS.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:49 pm

Superb.
I couldnt make my mind up whether to go for 3-1 or 2-0, but what a brillirant result.
Charlton were there for the taking, but in games like this, you still have to make sure you take them!
Go Saddlers Go!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:11 pm

Subs

I didn't think we were as great as some of the posts on here say, but it was a good performance all in all, and obviously the right result. Butler and Lancashire keep getting rave reviews, and on the whole I like them both. You have to ask the question though, why we keep giving opposing sides free headers in the box. The one today was an absolute sitter, no one anywhere near him, it was 0-0 at the time, and could have been a very different game.

I thought Gray was back to his lethargic lazy self today, he got the goal, but out of all the players, he looked not interested to me. He was played on the right hand side though, which obviously isn't his favoured side, but I thought it worked really well having Cook on the other side, he look far more dangerous cutting inside from the left, than he has done playing on the right.

Laird seems to have had a few people knocking him on here, but the more I see of him, the more I like him. Richards was much better today as you said. I also agree about Taundry, although he is painful to watch, the reaction of the crowd when he makes a mistake can't help, and he did put in some solid and important tackles today. I am also starting to like the look of Williams.

It's all very well saying Macken has ramming peoples words back in peoples faces, I agree he has been excellent of late. If he had played like that all season, no one would have had a problem with him, but the fact is, he was going through the motions for so long.

Obviously pleased with the result, not wanting to be negative, but I don't honestly think it is going to be enough.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:36 pm

Agree a lot with Blazing's post.

Shocking defending almost put us one down. For weeks now we have struggled to defend crosses and set pieces.

As much as I think that Taundry is a conference player, moaning, cursing and shouting "don't give it to him" is hardly going to help the kid. Gray was also getting his share of grief from some of those sitting around us. Maybe a reason for his lack of connection with the fans?

I agree that switching Gray and Cook worked well - credit to Deano for that. We were far more positive for the whole game today than of late, having far more attempts on goal than normal. I thought our closing down when they were in posession was excellent.

Great atmosphere, well done to those that were there. Really surprised at the lack of Charlton fans though.

So, a week of anticipation and onwards to Southampton.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:17 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:

I didn't think we were as great as some of the posts on here say, but it was a good performance all in all, and obviously the right result. Butler and Lancashire keep getting rave reviews, and on the whole I like them both. You have to ask the question though, why we keep giving opposing sides free headers in the box. The one today was an absolute sitter, no one anywhere near him, it was 0-0 at the time, and could have been a very different game.

I thought Gray was back to his lethargic lazy self today, he got the goal, but out of all the players, he looked not interested to me. He was played on the right hand side though, which obviously isn't his favoured side, but I thought it worked really well having Cook on the other side, he look far more dangerous cutting inside from the left, than he has done playing on the right.

Laird seems to have had a few people knocking him on here, but the more I see of him, the more I like him. Richards was much better today as you said. I also agree about Taundry, although he is painful to watch, the reaction of the crowd when he makes a mistake can't help, and he did put in some solid and important tackles today. I am also starting to like the look of Williams.

It's all very well saying Macken has ramming peoples words back in peoples faces, I agree he has been excellent of late. If he had played like that all season, no one would have had a problem with him, but the fact is, he was going through the motions for so long.

Obviously pleased with the result, not wanting to be negative, but I don't honestly think it is going to be enough.

But you could say that about the likes of Lancashire too, i thought he was dross under Hutchings.

Im not sure how Gray looked disinterested today, i thought they all looked up for the cause.

Plus people will conveniently forget that it was Taundrys cross that led to the first goal, and he pinged in a good ball more than once.

I also think its out of our hands, we need Peterborough to do us a massive favour.

SWS1

Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:20 pm

I've suddenly become a massive Peterborough supporter. :D
I'll forgive them (almost) anything if they do us THE BIG FAVOUR next week. :shock:
Onward and upward!! :arrow: Er, sideways will do nicely at this point. 8)

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:43 pm

Really happy with that as a result to wake up to. Now got a big smile over me egg-bac-soss.

Nervous week ahead.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun May 01, 2011 7:43 am

Well I thought nobody played badly. Even Richards and Taundry.

Tickets to Southampton bought, Fancy dress to be bought.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun May 01, 2011 10:17 am

I actually thought that was our best 90 minutes of football this season, at home. We played some good stuff at times and had them completely on the back foot in the second hlaf. Taundry was the weakest link, but, and it's a big but, I think he was also up against their best player, in Racon and I was glad when he went off. You'll notice Taundry looked a lot more comfortable against his replacement.

Oh, and Butler and Macken were immense!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Charlton Athletic (H) League 1 Saturday 30/4/11.

Sun May 01, 2011 10:28 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I actually thought that was our best 90 minutes of football this season, at home. We played some good stuff at times and had them completely on the back foot in the second hlaf. Taundry was the weakest link, but, and it's a big but, I think he was also up against their best player, in Racon and I was glad when he went off. You'll notice Taundry looked a lot more comfortable against his replacement.

Agree with all that.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun May 01, 2011 10:42 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Superb.
I couldnt make my mind up whether to go

:P

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun May 01, 2011 10:45 am

chestersaddler wrote:

I guess he was still trying to answer MMF's and KC's question.

That or trying to find Barry's surname. :lol:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun May 01, 2011 3:25 pm

Ahh on the highlights Griggs finish was controlled and superb.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun May 01, 2011 5:53 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I actually thought that was our best 90 minutes of football this season, at home. We played some good stuff at times and had them completely on the back foot in the second hlaf. Taundry was the weakest link, but, and it's a big but, I think he was also up against their best player, in Racon and I was glad when he went off. You'll notice Taundry looked a lot more comfortable against his replacement.

Agree with all that.

Thirded. I can't believe some of the stick Taundry gets sometimes when he makes a mistake - others in the team do aswell! Yes, he isn't the best player we have and is a bit if a square peg in a round hole tbh at right back but he out in some excellent, committed tackles on a good few occasions yesterday. It has to be said that some of his errors were a lot down to him having to recieve a dodgy ball or because people weren't moving and giving him an option when he had the ball at his feet. As good as Laird and Richards were for most of yesterday, we still need to come looking for the ball more and work on movement off the ball before next season.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun May 01, 2011 10:49 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

Ha Ha Ha
:lol:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon May 02, 2011 7:19 am

Jolly Johnny wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Agree with all that.

Thirded. I can't believe some of the stick Taundry gets sometimes when he makes a mistake - others in the team do aswell! Yes, he isn't the best player we have and is a bit if a square peg in a round hole tbh at right back but he out in some excellent, committed tackles on a good few occasions yesterday. It has to be said that some of his errors were a lot down to him having to recieve a dodgy ball or because people weren't moving and giving him an option when he had the ball at his feet. As good as Laird and Richards were for most of yesterday, we still need to come looking for the ball more and work on movement off the ball before next season.

I'll have a go at him whenever he does something wrong, the same as Richards.

The problem is, is that mongs pick a man at the start of the season and won't let him go. Best example this season: Richards.

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season