Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Atheltic (A) League 1 Monday 25/4/11/

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Oldham Atheltic (A) League 1 Monday 25/4/11/

Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:44 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Darren Byfield :roll:

Nice to see he is so gutted tonight by talking about his trip to london over the next few days. winner. I really hope no one touches him with a bargepole next season, he doesnt deserve it.

Explain? Sorry not part o the twerp community, but if he has posted that after todays match he is an even bigger disgrace than I thought he was. Didn't he bother explaining why he fell over in the last minute when we had a chance to win it?

twerp :lol:

Ar it seems the players have a couple of days off. While other players like Tom Williams appeared to be annoyed at the loss of 3 points, old Darrens appeared to be "oh well" :roll:

Obviously a few Twitter posts dont mean much, but Byfield is the laziest thief taking a wage ive seen in many a year. Im suprised he isnt faking an injury again. Oh and hes off to see "Trey songz". Surely that means he is an idiot :lol:

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:13 pm

Byfield's response to todays game was
"Oh well another blow,but we will win sat I'm sure ov that #uts"

Where as Williams' was:
"Managed to grab a goal today but would have swapped it for 3 pts gladly"

You can see the difference in attitudes

Oh and the official away attendance was 497 today. Good turnout!

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:20 pm

Byfiled is a lazy tool and a waste of a wage. Club captain? What a joke.

PT
Site Addict

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:23 pm

jolly johnny wrote:Bob on summary PT! (Where were you in the stand btw? Had a look around and couldn't spot you!)

Was about six rows from the back in the middle, but when we scored I think I was temporarily three rows nearer the front and 10 feet further to the left.

It's a cag-handed set-up up there as the column of seats nearest the centre of the stand get taken up by about 1:30pm and then everyone else needs to go on safari to find a seat. Shame we didn't take 50-100 more as I always get a twinge when they have to move the tape at an away ground (I can trace it back to when we moved the tape ourselves in the seats at Mansfield nearly twenty years ago and rather than move us the mansfield plod moved the home supporters twenty feet further left - Chris Nicholl loved it and Charlie played like Pele and we won - all because of the tape moving escapade)

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:27 pm

I might forgive Byfield if he scores a goal that keeps us up. :lol:

So Oldhams goal was a screamer? Thats football i guess. :|

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:01 pm

latviancheese wrote:So Oldhams goal was a screamer? Thats football i guess. :|

20-25 yards out, straight into the top corner. Jimmy had no chance. It may have helped if someone would've have closed him down, or if Byfield hadn't have lost the ball so cheaply upfront. But hey, that's football

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:03 pm

Off to Latvia tomorrow morning Latvian, you want me to bring you some cheese? :D

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:23 pm

Real shame about the late screamer by Lowe, but nevertheless cracking support from the Walsall fans today, my throat is completely fudge! :lol:

When the ref finally gave us a free kick, MENTAL.

JackoSaddler

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:12 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:So Oldhams goal was a screamer? Thats football i guess. :|

20-25 yards out, straight into the top corner. Jimmy had no chance. It may have helped if someone would've have closed him down, or if Byfield hadn't have lost the ball so cheaply upfront. But hey, that's football

Thats 2 very important goals that Byfield has given away by losing the ball upfront so cheaply. Did it today and did it at Plymouth for their first.
I think he maybe should get off Twitter and start working on his first touch.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:17 pm

Williams' Goal:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upQVIXB1-Qo[/youtube]

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Today we were easily the best team on the day and should have picked up all 3 points quite comfortably, but as they say you need to take your chances when they come and we didn't and then at the other end they score from out of the blue. Typically!!

Walker - Same as always, a few very very good saves. 7/10

Taundry - Much improved from recent weeks but i still feel very uncomfortably when the opposition go down their left hand side. 6/10
Butler - Same old Butler, easily the best man on the park. 9/10
Lancashire - Also had a very solid game. 8/10
Williams - It was a great ball in for his goal which evaded everyone and went in. Still have the same opinion of him, defends well but not great going forward. 6/10

Cook - A few good moments but seems to lack the final ball. 6/10
Richards - Absolutely crud, gave the ball away far too many times and this is coming from someone that likes Richards. 5/10
Laird - Best i have seen of him, broke up ball well and was in most of our attacks going forward. 7/10
Gray - Typical Gray performance, in and out. 6/10

Macken - Absolutely superb, should have scored in the 1st half and was very unlucky with another effort. Holds the ball up brilliantly and brings players into the game. 8/10
Grigg - Very good performance, particularly in the 2nd half. My young player of the year. 7/10

Subs:
Byfield - Crap. Could have put Gray through right at the end but completely messed it up.
Paterson - Didn't do alot.

The fans were absolutely superb today from start to finish and deserved to see the lads win.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:13 am

I'd pretty much agree with your player ratings except to up Lancashire to at least the same as Butler, he was superb. Also Williams was very solid and does a lot of defending that tends not to get noticed. Otherwise I feel you're being sympathetic and generous to Richards with a 5! :oops:

Deano_Saddler wrote:Today we were easily the best team on the day and should have picked up all 3 points quite comfortably, but as they say you need to take your chances when they come and we didn't and then at the other end they score from out of the blue. Typically!!

Walker - Same as always, a few very very good saves. 7/10

Taundry - Much improved from recent weeks but i still feel very uncomfortably when the opposition go down their left hand side. 6/10
Butler - Same old Butler, easily the best man on the park. 9/10
Lancashire - Also had a very solid game. 8/10
Williams - It was a great ball in for his goal which evaded everyone and went in. Still have the same opinion of him, defends well but not great going forward. 6/10

Cook - A few good moments but seems to lack the final ball. 6/10
Richards - Absolutely crud, gave the ball away far too many times and this is coming from someone that likes Richards. 5/10
Laird - Best i have seen of him, broke up ball well and was in most of our attacks going forward. 7/10
Gray - Typical Gray performance, in and out. 6/10

Macken - Absolutely superb, should have scored in the 1st half and was very unlucky with another effort. Holds the ball up brilliantly and brings players into the game. 8/10
Grigg - Very good performance, particularly in the 2nd half. My young player of the year. 7/10

Subs:
Byfield - crud. Could have put Gray through right at the end but completely messed it up.
Paterson - Didn't do alot.

The fans were absolutely superb today from start to finish and deserved to see the lads win.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:28 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:Off to Latvia tomorrow morning Latvian, you want me to bring you some cheese? :D

Actually, Latvian cheese is very nice!

I only wish i was actually latvian. :( :lol:

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:54 pm

A classic tale of two halves, really. We were very poor in the first half - no pace to our play and largely relying on a dull, direct game which almost paid off when I felt Macken should have done better with his chance. Still, it negated 2 of our 3 most dangerous players with Gray and Cook having an ineffectual first half and asking a lot of Macken and Grigg against a rough and tough pair of centre backs.

Second half was vastly improved, with Gray and particularly Cook seeing a lot of the ball at their feet in dangerous situations. Laird came into the game more as it moved on and, whilst I thought he was poor again, Richards was heavily involved. Gray could have been used more effectively still, mind. We played much the better football in the second half, looking to get it down on the floor and work openings. Grigg and Macken impressed and worked hard.

We should have closed that game out, and the blame must lie with the manager for being caught, understandably mind-you, between going for it and resting on what we had. For what it is worth, I'd have made a double substitution when Morais was dismissed - Gharbasin for Richards and a striker for Grigg to stiffen the midfield and show that we were going to take the game to Oldham. As it was, Smith's substitutions were still positive but I felt they came a little late in the day again.

Big praise for the back five - Taundry looked the part which was really pleasing to see, and Williams is rapidly moving himself into 'must-keep regardless' territory. I've rated Lancashire from the first game I saw him, and was delighted to see a commanding performance alongside Butler.

Cook and Laird stood out from the middle four, the latter again doing a lot of the donkey work infront of the defence which often goes unnoticed. Richards is shot unfortunately, I'd certainly move him out of the team on Saturday. Gray suffered from being on the end of tons of long balls in the first half and not much at all in the second.

So nearly an ideal day; I brought along a Liverpool supporting Manc and a Villa fan, both were impressed with the following and our second half display and were as deflated as everyone else when the equaliser went in. You can't legislate for a bit of class such as the goal was, but we should be closing a game like that out against an underwhelming Oldham side. Twice this season they have been there for the taking, and twice we have failed to capitalise.

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season