Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brighton and Hove Albion (H) League 1 Saturday 15/4/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
MILO5
UTS Veteran

Re: Brighton and Hove Albion (H) League 1 Saturday 15/4/11.

Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:56 pm

no midfield options on the bench

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:07 pm

Brighton have had shots on and off target in the first 2 minutes..... sounds like the Southampton game all over again :(

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:09 pm

0-1 down after six minutes........ :roll:

...which puts us back in the mire, because Southampton haven't scored against Bristol Rovers!!!

Couold be worse though - McNeil (Southport) was sent off after 5 minutes for a second bookable offence!!! :lol:
Last edited by Welsh_Saddler on Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:12 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Butler

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:14 pm

Talk about twists and turns....... :lol:

... and don't tell Sheff, but the Baggies are 1-0 up against Chelsea :mrgreen:
Last edited by Welsh_Saddler on Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:14 pm

DE DE DE DE ANDY BUTLER

and Daggers one down

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:25 pm

... and Swindon one down at home to the Dongs :D

The BBC website says that with 30 minutes gone, the share of the possession is 32% Walsall, 68% Brighton :shock:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:38 pm

MILO5 wrote:DE DE DE DE ANDY BUTLER

and Daggers one down

... Daggers now 2-0 down :lol: :lol:

...and Plymouth take the lead at Peterborough - did someone say "twists and turns?"

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:08 pm

1-2

We do not seem to be able to defend a corner :evil:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:23 pm

"Super-sub" Ledesma on for Matt Richards

(with 65 minutes gone, we have had 1 attempt on target, and 1 attempt off target.... do we have no strikers today?)
Last edited by Welsh_Saddler on Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:26 pm

cmon on u little argentinian ....this is your moment

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:30 pm

Lancashire now on for McDonald

and Byfield on for Cook

Peterborough go 2-1 ahead of Plymouth.... we really need Southampton to score against Bristol Rovers though!!!!! :evil:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:39 pm

Ledesma red card. Brainless eedyot :evil:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:42 pm

chestersaddler wrote:Ledesma red card. Brainless eedyot :evil:

Retaliation, was it? He'd just had a header from inside the 6-yard box.

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:48 pm

Southampton finally go one up against Bristol , so looks like everyone is going to lose

only real movement being that Tranmere are out of it

pretty much definitely 2 from 4 - Daggers, Notts, us and Bristol

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:48 pm

Left his foot in apparantly.

Thank God, Southampton have just taken the lead - everybody losing at the bottom
Last edited by chestersaddler on Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:49 pm

HOORAY :D :D :D Southampton take the lead against Bristol Rovers, 5 minutes to go :D :D :D

1-3.... well, I never realistically expected to get anything from this game :wink:
Last edited by Welsh_Saddler on Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:50 pm

3-1 down now - goodnight Dick!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:58 pm

Made a few more pennies than a normal week - today's attendance 6,015 :)

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Brighton and Hove Albion (H) League 1 Saturday 15/4/11.

Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:19 pm

Smith got it wrong today. When I heard the team selection, apart from Taundry's inclusion, I thought it was the right one - but as a 4-5-1. The experiment of Gray up front and Richards out wide left wasted both players.

We got what we deserved today. Despite the dodgy decisions and a certain amount of cynicism from a couple of their guys, the best team won.

Jockey
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:42 pm

Smith was tactically inept today, from his starting X1 to his substitutions. We were down to ten men, i accept, but towards the end no one in midfield supported our attack.

Ledesma went for a 50/50 challenge but showed his studs so deserved to go but the ref was a cock and Brighton certainly play act, not surprising with Poyet in charge.

To all the idiots that boo Richards every touch and dance around like knobs when hes taken off, just ask yourself where we would be without his assists and goals- Muppets!!!
No harm with te results today but next Saturday is a must win.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:52 pm

No great surprise in the result, I suppose, although we did make a game of it between their 2nd goal and Ledesma's dismissal. Not surprisingly, they played with all the relaxed self-confidence of a team at the top whereas our nervous tension was palpable.

Football-wise, the biggest single difference between the teams was in movement off the ball. Whenever we did occasionally try to pass the ball around, it was invariably to a static target who then had to decide what to do and overcome the inertia to do it while Brighton were full of movement with their players RUNNING between and beyond ours to receive the ball. At other times, why, oh why, do we STILL insist on reverting, so often, to "hoofball" when we haven't got the players to do it? Surely tactics should be designed to exploit your players' strengths, not show up their weaknesses? We are not the Clayheads!

The Seagulls had the best player on the pitch, imo - Liam Bridcutt (no. 26) - totally bossed the midfield.

Walker - as sound as ever

Taundry - awful 1st half, couldn't do right for doing wrong, but he improved greatly in the second half and had a decent 45 minutes.
McDonald - big and clumsy but effective. Bad luck with injuries, just as he has got back in the team.
Butler - 0% finesse, 100% guts and effort. Deservedly MotM (again!)
Williams - generally very sound.

Gbarssin - good, steady game, broke up play well.

Cook - promising first half but Brighton shut off the supply, after the interval, to nullify his threat.
Laird - I didn't even realise that he was playing for the first half hour, he was so anonymous. However, he came much more into play after that, to show some good touches.
Richards - he was poor - only plus point was his corner which led to our goal. He is but a pale shadow of the player that he was, earlier in the season.
Gray - looked dangerous but only in fits and starts

Macken - tried his best but lacked support

Lancashire (for McDonald) - capable replacement, did nothing wrong.
Ledesma (for Richards) - did nothing apart from getting sent off for a two-footed lunge
Byfield (for Cook) - just did nothing.

A special mention for Brighton's Ashley "Horizontal" Barnes, rumoured to be Tom Daley's diving coach for the 2012 Olympics. He joins the pantheon of those we love to hate, such as Izale McLeod and Kiegan Parker.
Last edited by Pedagogue on Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:52 pm

If Taundry plays on sat then I will asking questions about Dean Smith, weather he gives his 100% or not he is not good enough.

I thought we were very unlucky today, we played well, the ref was absolute joke he might aswell of turned out in a blue and white shift.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:55 pm

Pedagogue wrote:No great surprise in the result, I suppose, although we did make a game of it between their 2nd goal and Ledesma's dismissal. Not surprisingly, they played with all the relaxed self-confidence of a team at the top whereas our nervous tension was palpable.

Football-wise, the biggest single difference between the teams was in movement off the ball. Whenever we did occasionally try to pass the ball around, it was invariably to a static target who then had to decide what to do and overcome the inertia to do it while Brighton were full of movement with their players RUNNING between and beyond ours to receive the ball. At other times, why, oh why, do we STILL insist on reverting, so often, to "hoofball" when we haven't got the players to do it? Surely tactics should be designed to exploit your players' strengths, not show up their weaknesses? We are not the Clayheads!

The Seagulls had the best player on the pitch, imo - Liam Bridcutt (no. 26) - totally bossed the midfield.

Taundry - awful 1st half, couldn't do right for doing wrong, but he improved greatly in the second half and had a decent 45 minutes.
McDonald - big and clumsy but effective. Bad luck with injuries, just as he has got back in the team.

Cook - promising first half but Brighton shut off the supply, after the interval, to nullify his threat.
Laird - I didn't even realise that he was playing for the first half hour, he was so anonymous. However, he came much more into play after that, to show some good touches.
Richards - he was poor - only plus point was his corner which led to our goal. He is but a pale shadow of the player that he was, earlier in the season.

Ledesma (for Richards) - did nothing apart from getting sent off for a two-footed lunge

A special mention for Brighton's Ashley "Horizontal" Barnes, rumoured to be Tom Daley's diving coach for the 2012 Olympics. He joins the pantheon of those we love to hate, such as Izale McLeod and Kiegan Parker.

Jon Macken didnt play then?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:57 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:If Taundry plays on sat then I will asking questions about Dean Smith, weather he gives his 100% or not he is not good enough.

I thought we were very unlucky today, we played well, the ref was absolute joke he might aswell of turned out in a blue and white shift.

Actually, the ref got the big decisions right. It was a red card, Barnes did dive (twice) and handled the ball in the box. The wierd thing was, how come he didn't get the three yellow cards he should have?

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:02 pm

The midfield weren't supporting at the end because they were too tired. They were chasing shadows for most of the.game and working hard to stay in it.

Brighton are a good side, which makes their play acting and timewasting all the more disappointing. Ledesma put in a poor challenge but he made absolutely no contact with.the.defender who proceeded to roll around in.agony. As for the diving, how on earth did the ref see fit not to book their player for trying to get.a penalty and why did he acknowledge to Macken that he knew their player wasn't injured after a challenge and yet didn't.even have a word.

Superb displays from Butler, Macken and Williams today. We are still in there with a shout.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:02 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:If Taundry plays on sat then I will asking questions about Dean Smith, weather he gives his 100% or not he is not good enough.

Actually, the ref got the big decisions right. It was a red card, Barnes did dive (twice) and handled the ball in the box. The wierd thing was, how come he didn't get the three yellow cards he should have?

I totally agree that Ladesma deserved to go, his 2 footed challenge was wreckless.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:03 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:Jon Macken didn't play then?

:oops: Duly corrected (teach me to be more careful when copying and pasting! :D )

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:03 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:No great surprise in the result, I suppose, although we did make a game of it between their 2nd goal and Ledesma's dismissal. Not surprisingly, they played with all the relaxed self-confidence of a team at the top whereas our nervous tension was palpable.

Jon Macken didnt play then?

Might as well not have done. He's a useless has been.

Or a useless never was.

No way Ledesma should have been sent off for that. No feet off the ground or any studs from where I was.

The ref was awful, gave us nothing all match, he cost us the point.

No coppers today at the match?? Should have been to stop them yagas getting on our pitch.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:05 pm

Just got back, we just outclassed by a completely better team. I thought Brighton were superb - that's how football should be played.

I still think some of our players were not at the races today. Taundry was shocking and Matt Richards was pathetic. I have seen us a lot more since Deano took over, and if Richards is player of the season then we deserve to be relegated. He has been very poor since the start of February. Also, his petulance when subbed today was embarrassing. When his number was up, he shook his head in disgust and said a few choice words which continued with John Whitney.

Also, why on earth are we so poor at defending set pieces? We had massive blokes in that team today - very poor.

Walker - Didn't really have a chance.
Taundry - useless. Deano - never play him there again. Hoof it rubbish. Caught out time and time again.
Butler - the usual.
McDonald - I am still to be convinced. I think his lack of mobility lets him down.
Williams - a lot better than our other full back. Can't remember him doing too much wrong.

Cook - did well when he had room, but needs to be involved more.
Gbrassin - battled well.
Laird - anonymous. But hardly surprising given their team.
Richards - diabolical. Slow and gave the ball constantly.

Gray - Tried I thought, but didn't really come off for him.
Macken - held up play brilliantly I thought, but had nothing playing off him.

Ledesma - Now, it was an idiotic tackle - but I think there needs to be some blame to Deano here. Playing him in that position is wrong - he was frustrated. he shouldn't be holding the ball up, he should be running at people.
Byfield - did nothing as usual.

I didn't expect anything today, so I am not too worried. But I think there has a to be a lot of thought into our next game with the personnel.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season