Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brighton and Hove Albion (H) League 1 Saturday 15/4/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Re: Brighton and Hove Albion (H) League 1 Saturday 15/4/11.

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:12 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Actually, the ref got the big decisions right. It was a red card, Barnes did dive (twice) and handled the ball in the box. The weird thing was, how come he didn't get the three yellow cards he should have?

I agree in general. My only major criticism of him was his failure to caution Barnes for simulation. That apart, the referee tried his best to keep his cards in his pocket until he was forced to act by the players' misconduct. He had a decent game and tried to manage situations, instead of reaching for his top pocket every time (like those useless tossers, David Ellary and Mike Riley used to). Sadly, some players (and spectators) are too immature to recognise that.

Reading some of the comments on here, about the referee, just beggars belief. I'll advertise the next referees' course on here and those who blame all of Walsall F.C's on-the-pitch problems on the referee can see for themselves what an easy job it is! :mrgreen:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:14 pm

I agree with most of Pedagogue's analysis. Brighton's football was expansive because of their movement off the ball to find space, their ability to make a decent pass, and having some genuine quality in the middle (#26 was a class act).

I'd stick Lancashire at right back instead of Taundry, who was again poor. I think Lancashire's decent, and we certainly looked no worse with him at the back than MacDonald.
Byfield is rubbish. Talks the talk on Twitter - "up for it" etc., but is just woeful. Grigg would offer more.

We got away with a result, Tuesday. Other results fell for us today. We have to start improving to stay up.

Call them all in tomorrow, Dean. :evil:

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:15 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed that one. I'm a little bit dissapointed that we didn't get a point.

Brighton are a quality team though. You could tell that they are a class above. They kept finding those little gaps between the midfield and defence. They looked dangerous every time they went forward.

As for us, I thought we played well. I was abit dissapointed with Smith's tactics though. Gray upfront and Richards on the wing? Both players found themselves isolated out the games.
The substitutions were abit strange aswell. He took Cook off, who was our most dangerous player, for Byfield! That pretty much ended our attacking threat.
Taundry was once again woeful, probably the only under-performer.
The sending off, well, i'm in two minds. It was a loose ball and both players jumped in, it's just that El-Abd(?) came off worse.
Also, we should've had a penalty when Gbarsin's shot was blocked by an arm!

As for Brighton, like I said, quality team, but they ground my gears at times! You can tell they've got a south american in charge. They were diving all over the place at times. Especially that no.9. How he didn't get booked atleast once is beyond me.

At the end of the day, congrats to Brighton on winning the league. It's nice to see a 'smaller' team winning it rather than the likes of Southampton, Sheff Wednesday, etc who were pre-season favourites.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:16 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Actually, the ref got the big decisions right. It was a red card, Barnes did dive (twice) and handled the ball in the box. The weird thing was, how come he didn't get the three yellow cards he should have?

I agree in general. My only major criticism of him was his failure to caution Barnes for simulation. That apart, the referee tried his best to keep his cards in his pocket until he was forced to act by the players' misconduct. He had a decent game and tried to manage situations, instead of reaching for his top pocket every time (like those useless tossers, David Ellary and Mike Riley used to). Sadly, some players (and spectators) are too immature to recognise that.

Reading some of the comments on here, about the referee, just beggars belief. I'll advertise the next referees' course on here and those who blame all of Walsall F.C's on-the-pitch problems on the referee can see for themselves what an easy job it is! :mrgreen:

I thought he did OK to be honest. Like you, I think Barnes could've gone for a multitude of sins.

Daz - There should be no blame apportioned to Smith for the red. I don't care if he subbed Ledesma on to go at full back.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:18 pm

I have to agree regarding the cirtisum of Dean Smith.

Tactially today we just wasnt there.

His team selections at the moment have to be questioned.

Why is he playing Taundry?

Why doesnt he keep putting Byfield on the wing?

Why are playing with 3 holding midfielders?

I've been imporessed with Smith since he was come in he's worked wonders, but trying to stifle teams at home in our position is wrong. Were inviting teams like Brighton to attack us more.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:24 pm

Pedagogue wrote:

So why didn''t he ref book Brighton players for diving on at least 2 occasions, but instead booked Jimmy Walker for complaining?

Why didn't book Brighton players for joining in with their fans when they invaded the pitch?

Aboslute disgrace that ref was, totally biased towards Brighton.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:26 pm

Unsurprised today. We were 2nd best against a mid-championship ability (if they can sort out the panic at the heart of their defence) side who showed why they are 15 points clear. Not at all disappointed by the performance - our players are bottom 3rd quality, and I thought that they put their heart and soul into the fight. On a lucky day, and with a referee who wasnt a star-******, we might have got an undeserved point. Sadly, we are a small poo team to referees and we got the wrong side of every 50/50 decision with this knob. Unfortunately, Ledesma went in with studs up and made contact with man as well as ball - in todays game and with a biased joke of a referee like today, the red card was inevitable - well he's got one more game to impress now.

On the bonus side, today's results were fabulous - 7 points will keep us up, and if we dont get them we've only ourselves to blame. UTS

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:31 pm

Dissapointed to hear Richards had another bad game, although not sure why he is not allowed to be pissed off at being subbed.

Ledesma missing for 3 games?

Fair play to Brighton, they've scored their way to the Premier Leauge two.

Still think we can do Sheff Wed though.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Firstly, Brighton were easily the best team and deserved to won.

After that, a bunch of cheating, diving, whiging idiots the whole lot of them. Surely their no. 9 was a "special friend" of the referee? What did he have to do to get booked? I saw the ref talking to him just before the break and pointing towards the changing rooms. Mmmm, I wonder what 9's half of the bargain was at half time? :wink:

Taundry was worse than useless in the first half. The sending off was a definite red card, two footed jump straight into the player.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:39 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

I thought he did OK to be honest. Like you, I think Barnes could've gone for a multitude of sins.

Daz - There should be no blame apportioned to Smith for the red. I don't care if he subbed Ledesma on to go at full back.

I said some aak, and I said Ledesma's challenge was idiotic. I just think that he was frustrated to be honest.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:50 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:If Taundry plays on sat then I will asking questions about Dean Smith, weather he gives his 100% or not he is not good enough.

I thought we were very unlucky today, we played well, the ref was absolute joke he might aswell of turned out in a blue and white shift.

Actually, the ref got the big decisions right. It was a red card, Barnes did dive (twice) and handled the ball in the box. The wierd thing was, how come he didn't get the three yellow cards he should have?

So Barnes diving twice and handling the ball without one yellow card, should have been two in the first half was getting the big decisions right?
Down to ten men before half time would have made it a different game.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:51 pm

Credit where credit is due to the referee though. When McDonald went down the first time and looked like he had lost consciousness, he was straight there and put Macca in the recovery position.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:42 pm

Graydon48 wrote:So Barnes diving twice and handling the ball without one yellow card, should have been two in the first half was getting the big decisions right?

That isn't how players play though, is it? Had Barnes received a yellow for the first "simulation", he wouldn't have done it again, or deliberately handled the ball, would he?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:52 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Graydon48 wrote:So Barnes diving twice and handling the ball without one yellow card, should have been two in the first half was getting the big decisions right?

That isn't how players play though, is it? Had Barnes received a yellow for the first "simulation", he wouldn't have done it again, or deliberately handled the ball, would he?

Not unless he was a total idiot - mind you, knowing most footballers . . . . . . . .

Casual D
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:04 pm

I think what really cost us today was our complete inability to defend corners. It's been a big problem of ours all season and has cost us three goals in the last two matches. We got away with it in midweek, but not today. If all a team has to do to score against us from a corner is put a standard ball to around the penalty spot then we will continue to ship goals.

Butler is pretty damn good in the air and McDonald is a man mountain, so why do we continually fail to attack arial balls into our box, allowing other teams to run on to them?

The warning was there too, Brighton got their winner against daggers midweek with a carbon copy of one of the goals we let in against brentford.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:10 pm

The result most of us expected but to biased to predict , Brighton are top of the league for a good reason.

Not a lot as changed in our survival battle other than Tranmere are probably one win away from safety .

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:16 pm

Casual D wrote:I think what really cost us today was our complete inability to defend corners. It's been a big problem of ours all season and has cost us three goals in the last two matches. We got away with it in midweek, but not today. If all a team has to do to score against us from a corner is put a standard ball to around the penalty spot then we will continue to ship goals.

Butler is pretty damn good in the air and McDonald is a man mountain, so why do we continually fail to attack arial balls into our box, allowing other teams to run on to them?

The warning was there too, Brighton got their winner against daggers midweek with a carbon copy of one of the goals we let in against brentford.

That was the frustrating thing. Brighton are a very good footballing side but apart from their third goal when were down to 10 men and chasing the game to concende twice from set pieces is dissapointing.
PS well done the "airshot king" Taundry for their first.

gray
Glitterati

Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:40 pm

I enjoyed the game today, I think we gave a fairly decent account of ourselves against a very good team. I am a bit dissapointed that Ledesma didn't show a bit more composure as we looked quite good until he got sent off. I don't think there was any malice in his challenge, he just let the ball get away from him and lunged to win it back. It looked like a clear red from where I was sitting. It looks like his season is pretty much over now, which is frustrating as he could have had a big part to play in the last few games.

One annoying aspect for me was the attitudes of some of our fans. At this point I really think we need to get behind the whole team so to hear people abusing Richards and Taundry was dissapointing. Richards has been poor recently but he's been one of our best players this season. I know he divides the fans but I just can't see how getting on his back so much is going to help anything. The same goes for Taundry, who is clearly not good enough in my opinion (although I thought he looked ok in the second half) I just don't see how booing him during the game is going to result in anything positive.

Anyway rant over. Onwards and upwards. The game next weekend is going to be huge. UTS.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:40 pm

They were better than us. If the footballing gods had really been shining on us we could have got something out of the game. The near own goal, the big shout for hand ball, Laird's volley that just clipped the bloke's shoulder and went over all happened at 2-1 which is why I was surprised Smith took such drastic action to chase the game. That action spectacularly back-fired as Ledesma and Byfield were awful and their addition weakened the side massively.

The ref? If refs don't punish people who blatantly try to cheat them then the cheats will continue to disrespect them and so will the cheated. Ledesma's was probably a red but Brighton ensured any doubt was erased in his mind by the roll-about and mass indignation. They're just like their manager - good at football but with a questionable attitude.

Shame there was less than 4,000 Walsall fans there. It's a tumultuous end to the season and as exciting as a promotion run-in - a pity a few more folk can't be tempted to see the story unfold.

StudentSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:43 pm

We conceded two silly goals from set pieces today, overall we didn't play that bad until Ledesma was sent off, we had a few chances afterwards but never really got back into the game.

Ledesma is out until the Southampton game, and McDonald is out for the rest of the season with a dislocated shoulder.

Brighton are now Champions, but we remain outside of the relegation zone due to other results going our way.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:47 pm

PT wrote:They were better than us. If the footballing gods had really been shining on us we could have got something out of the game. The near own goal, the big shout for hand ball, Laird's volley that just clipped the bloke's shoulder and went over all happened at 2-1 which is why I was surprised Smith took such drastic action to chase the game. That action spectacularly back-fired as Ledesma and Byfield were awful and their addition weakened the side massively.

I agree. I said to "Lone Striker", we just needed to hang in there at 2-1 down, weather the storm, and take a chance or two that inevitably would come before the end. For once, I wasn't enthusiastic when changes were made quite early in the second half.

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:38 pm

Not much to say that hasn't already been said.

Right personnel, wrong formation.

Taundry is an effective a full back as he is a midfielder.

Our defending of set pieces leaves a lot to be desired.

We huffed and puffed at times but lacked any real cutting edge.

Ledesma's challenge, although not malicious, was unnecessary.

Brighton, for all their good play, lack class. Fair play to them for winning the league though.
Last edited by Four Oaks Saddler on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Harvey
Glitterati

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:43 pm

Ledesma challenge was definitely a straight red, as soon as he touched the ball too far ahead, I knew it was coming.

Referee was pretty shocking, although I liked the way most of the time he allowed an advantage where possible.

Brighton a decent passing team, little class as has already been mentioned though!

Gus Poyet certainly has passed on some of his South American "skills" to his team aswell :twisted:

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:08 pm

Rob Harvey wrote:Ledesma challenge was definitely a straight red, as soon as he touched the ball too far ahead, I knew it was coming.

Referee was pretty shocking, although I liked the way most of the time he allowed an advantage where possible.

Brighton a decent passing team, little class as has already been mentioned though!

Gus Poyet certainly has passed on some of his South American "skills" to his team aswell :twisted:

In fairness to Poyet I don't remember him diving or cheating. Honest 100% type player.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:10 pm

Graydon48 wrote:
Rob Harvey wrote:Ledesma challenge was definitely a straight red, as soon as he touched the ball too far ahead, I knew it was coming.

In fairness to Poyet I don't remember him diving or cheating. Honest 100% type player.

He's Uruguayan, he will have at some point :P

Rob Harvey
Glitterati

Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:13 pm

Graydon48 wrote:

True, he was a grafter, but I'm sure the conversation of how to dive has been given at some point!

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:55 pm

Rob Harvey wrote:
Graydon48 wrote:

True, he was a grafter, but I'm sure the conversation of how to dive has been given at some point!

I am sure we have had a South American play for us this season who dives and rolls around.
His name begins with L and ends in tears.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:05 am

If you dive it says alot about your personality. It proves you are weak and have a small penis.

I hate diving or simulation as they like to call it. :lol:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:53 am

PT wrote:They were better than us. If the footballing gods had really been shining on us we could have got something out of the game. The near own goal, the big shout for hand ball, Laird's volley that just clipped the bloke's shoulder and went over all happened at 2-1 which is why I was surprised Smith took such drastic action to chase the game. That action spectacularly back-fired as Ledesma and Byfield were awful and their addition weakened the side massively.

The ref? If refs don't punish people who blatantly try to cheat them then the cheats will continue to disrespect them and so will the cheated. Ledesma's was probably a red but Brighton ensured any doubt was erased in his mind by the roll-about and mass indignation. They're just like their manager - good at football but with a questionable attitude.

Shame there was less than 4,000 Walsall fans there. It's a tumultuous end to the season and as exciting as a promotion run-in - a pity a few more folk can't be tempted to see the story unfold.

You missed as well the player who, when Ledesma got the red, was pointing at the touchline and waving him off. I thought that was "ungentlemanly conduct" and a yellow as well.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:42 pm

Couple of specific points.

Ledesma - At the time I thought the sending off was a shocking decison. Having seen it again last night on TFLS it was spot on, the challenge was dreadful. You can't go in like that. He'll now be banned for three games and could have relegated us.

Ashley Barnes - I think Pedadogue further up says he's propelled himself into the same bracket of cheating scum as Keigan Parker and Izale McLeod. That's exactly how I described him to my dad last night. A truly revolting specimen of a player and how he escaped a booking is beyond me.

Gbarssin - Chants of sign him up seem to be reserved purely for Butler (a sentiment I completely I agree with). But once Butlers services are secured this guy must be next on the list of players we should sign up. He was the only one of the midfield to do anything yesterday and is a proper battler. Does the dirty work and does it well. Will pick up a fair few bookings. Another ref could have sent him off for two bookings yesterday, recent his booking count, and then sent him off for another two bookings after that. My MOTM.

Taundry - Why? Wacka would have saved the first goal had Taundry not swung at the ball at the line...and missed it.

Wacka - For a moment I thought he was actually gonna smack the ref for not booking Barnes. Got booked for dissent, so carried on mouthing off. Glad he calmed down.

As for survival, if we win two more games either Bristol Rovers or Notts County must take 7 points from 4/5 games respectively. That means Rovers can only afford one more defeat, and County two. I think two wins might just be enough. Lets get them against Sheff Wed and Oldham.

EDIT: Special mention to their defender who through himself in the way of Laird's shot to take it over the bar at 1-2. Was destined for the back of the net. What a block that was.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season