Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brentford (H) League 1 Tuesday 12/4/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: Brentford (H) League 1 Tuesday 12/4/11.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:59 pm

On the final whistle, it really was a feeling of relief rather than one of delight wasn't it?

They knocked the ball around us in midfield for fun in the first half, and when we did get a rare hold on the ball, it didn't stick up front. Sloppy defending by Butler for their goal is something we just can't afford to keep doing. Thankfully, Macken had the balls to have a shot on goal when there was nothing else on and we were back in the game. That goal was a credit to both him and Smith as a shot from there wouldn't have even crossed his mind under Hutchings.

We started the second half brightly and scored a well worked goal. Then Taundry presses the self destruct button and we're back under pressure. Thanks to a bit of good fortune (it looked like Macken controlled the ball with his hand), we were back in the lead within a couple of minutes.

Alls well that ends well, but if we play like that again this season, we're gone. We're at a stage of the season where we need to find consistency and concentration becomes a big part of that. Taundry had an absolute shocker in the second half, despite having a comfortable first 45, which shows just how much of a problem that right back position is looking at the moment.

Likewise, Richards and Laird played like complete strangers tonight. There's a lot of work to be done with them positionally if we're to tighten things up. Personally, I thought Byfield was a waste of space for most of the game. Lose him from the side and you can put an extra man in midfield, or a Ledesma just behind Macken. We don't have the quality to get by with a bare, exposed two in midfield, as shown tonight.

I don't want to be too negative as the likes of Macken, Gray and Williams had decent games. Smith just needs to recognise that we're on the brink now & mistakes like some of the ones we made tonight won't see us survive. That said, we'd have lost that game 3 or 4-1 under Hutchings, so we've come some way.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:01 pm

latviancheese wrote:
You Reds wrote:Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

How great does it feel to be ABOVE the relegation zone?! :D

Terrible attendance btw, for a crunch game where the hell were you all?

Well im skint. If your asking.

That's a fair answer though mate.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:15 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:I need a large drink after that....... 3-2 final score, well done the gurroles.

I'm now drinking my 3rd large one.

We were fairly poor at times, OK to good in the 2nd half, dire in the 1st half, while they were consistently mediocre throughout. Until Macken's stunner, we had not looked threatening at almost any stage in the first half. Macken was the only offensive presence, and only the 2 centre mids gave him any backing in the 1st 45 minutes. Gray was sulking again, Cooke looked like a little boy while Byfield was frankly pathetic.

The real change came at half time. It looked to me as though Smith had changed them to a 4-3-3 and for most of the 2nd we carried a genuine attacking threat, led by the awesome Macken. I thought the win well merited - we'd have lost with a sterile 4-4-2 under our former greatest ever managerial team.

Player by player:

Wacka - sound and solid as ever. Showed more positional awareness in 90 minutes than Brain/Bevan have shown in 30 games between them this season.
Taundry/Williams - competed for the place of worse player on the pitch - local boy won by a length or two.
Butler - good second half.
McDonald - excellent as long as you dont make him pass a ball, pleased with his comeback.

Gray - decent 2nd half, couldn't be bothered in the first.
Laird - excellent. Very impressed - box to box and can pass/defend.
Richards - reasonable 1st half, rubbish 2nd. Amused to see his surprise at being subbed! Wasn't allowed under dogface was it?
Cooke - very good in 2nd half, great goal and looked dangerous throughout the 2nd 45 minutes

Byfield - poor in 1st, good 2nd half on the left of the 4-3-3
Macken - superb. I'd love to see him get another season.

Delighted with the win. 50 may well do this season now. Its in our hands, dont screw it up please lads. UTS

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:16 pm

Performance doesn't really matter now, results are all that matter, and we got it, and our rivals didn't get theirs tonight. We were generally awful in the first half, Macken's goal was completely against the run of play and came out of nothing (and was brilliant!) and then we livened up again, second half we were certainly better and had genuine fluidity up front but defensive howlers cost us and could have cost us again.

Hopefully Brighton's players are all very busy embarking on a 72-hour drinking binge.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:24 pm

The combination of results tonight could not have been better, and gives us a chance of staying up - nothing more than that, but I'm not complaining.

Not sure why people thought we would get more than the usual 3,000. Its not as if its win or bust just yet, and Brentford [with due respect to them] are not the most attractive proposition on a Tuesday night. After all, we only got just over 3,250 Saddlers for the visit of Southampton recently. The crowds that have been lost over several seasons of neglect are not suddenly going to return.

That said, there should be 5,500-6,000 for the next couple of home games [and big away followings guaranteed] with another 5,000 plus for Charlton if we are still in with a chance of staying up at that stage.

UTS

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:04 pm

Very poor first 38 minutes, better after that. Butler, Macken and McDonald the best of the bunch. Taundry is utter, utter, garbage and Williams isn't much better. Byfield put some excellent crosses in when playing out wide, and created the second goal with some neat play but was terrible in a central role. Richards looks knackered (not surprised since he's played every game this season and pretty much anchored us through the hutchings situation with some good goals and performances).

Gray and Cook were in and out, when on the ball they looked dangerous, but they both spent far too long out of the game and off the ball. Despite that Cook took his goal well and put 2 superb crosses in and Gray was his usual self, petulant and mardy but classy when in play.

Walker - Didnt really have much to do, but was generally sound as per.
Taundry - Awful, get rid at the end of the season. Single handedly gave them the second goal.
Butler - Bar the first goal, Captain fantastic as per, did he lose a single header all night?
McDonald - Can't quite understand why he's not been in the side for so long anyway? Distribution isn't great, but he wins headers Smith and Lacanshire couldn't get anywhere near.
Williams - Does okay defensively, but reminds of Marshall in the way his body language is so clumsy and lethargic.
Cook - Nice goal and is quick, but didn't touch the ball in the first half more than once and goes missing at times
Richards - Looks tired and as though he's been the attacking engine in a midfield that's lacked goals and confidence all season (which he has)
Laird - Not sure why people are moaning at him? Thought he was the 4th best player. Looked to pick the ball out of the defence which no-one elese ever bothers with, sprayed it around nicely and looked like he wanted to get stuck in.
Gray - Bad attitude and body language bar the one chase to the near touchline in the second half. Is classy with the ball at his feet though.
Byfield - Very poor in a central role and with is back to goal. Better out wide, set up the second goal and whipped some nice crosses in just before half time. Why does he insist on fannying around with the ball in situations when its not needed, then producing something good from the fannying he does at others? Frustrating.
Macken - Deservedly MOTM, looked fresh and the ball sticks whilst he's up there. Hasn't always been a favourite, but he's scored some important goals recently. He's going to be vital through the run in.

SUBS;
Ledesma - Did okay and played some nice passes as the game grew to an end
Gbarssin - Put a couple of crunching tackles in and spread possession nicely. Think he's a decent player if im honest.

Just of note. No Marshall, Nicholls or Brain in the 16 tonight? A sign of things to come in the summer? Add Taundry, Lescott and Williams and possibly Byfield/Lancashire to that and you'd have my complete released list.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:08 pm

Sadders wrote:Very poor first 38 minutes, better after that. Butler, Macken and McDonald the best of the bunch. Taundry is utter, utter, garbage and Williams isn't much better. Byfield put some excellent crosses in when playing out wide, and created the second goal with some neat play but was terrible in a central role. Richards looks knackered (not surprised since he's played every game this season and pretty much anchored us through the hutchings situation with some good goals and performances).

Gray and Cook were in and out, when on the ball they looked dangerous, but they both spent far too long out of the game and off the ball. Despite that Cook took his goal well and put 2 superb crosses in and Gray was his usual self, petulant and mardy but classy when in play.

Walker - Didnt really have much to do, but was generally sound as per.
Taundry - Awful, get rid at the end of the season. Single handedly gave them the second goal.
Butler - Bar the first goal, Captain fantastic as per, did he lose a single header all night?
McDonald - Can't quite understand why he's not been in the side for so long anyway? Distribution isn't great, but he wins headers Smith and Lacanshire couldn't get anywhere near.
Williams - Does okay defensively, but reminds of Marshall in the way his body language is so clumsy and lethargic.
Cook - Nice goal and is quick, but didn't touch the ball in the first half more than once and goes missing at times
Richards - Looks tired and as though he's been the attacking engine in a midfield that's lacked goals and confidence all season (which he has)
Laird - Not sure why people are moaning at him? Thought he was the 4th best player. Looked to pick the ball out of the defence which no-one elese ever bothers with, sprayed it around nicely and looked like he wanted to get stuck in.
Gray - Bad attitude and body language bar the one chase to the near touchline in the second half. Is classy with the ball at his feet though.
Byfield - Very poor in a central role and with is back to goal. Better out wide, set up the second goal and whipped some nice crosses in just before half time. Why does he insist on fannying around with the ball in situations when its not needed, then producing something good from the fannying he does at others? Frustrating.
Macken - Deservedly MOTM, looked fresh and the ball sticks whilst he's up there. Hasn't always been a favourite, but he's scored some important goals recently. He's going to be vital through the run in.

SUBS;
Ledesma - Did okay and played some nice passes as the game grew to an end
Gbarssin - Put a couple of crunching tackles in and spread possession nicely. Think he's a decent player if im honest.

Just of note. No Marshall, Nicholls or Brain in the 16 tonight? A sign of things to come in the summer? Add Taundry, Lescott and Williams and possibly Byfield/Lancashire to that and you'd have my complete released list.

:shock:

What?! Lancashire has been solid at the back.

Williams is decent also.

StudentSaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Taundry was arguably at fault for both goals, he was diabolical tonight,

Chris
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:19 pm

Sadders wrote:Gray - Bad attitude and body language bar the one chase to the near touchline in the second half. Is classy with the ball at his feet though.

Bad attitude and body language?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

That is the most outrageous description of a performance I've ever read. He absolutely ran himself into the ground. Whether he's doing so because he's in the shop window or not is a different matter, but he gave bloody everything tonight. I know people can see the same game differently, but bloody hell!!!!!!!!!!

Mafino
UTS Regular

Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:33 am

Chris wrote:
Sadders wrote:Gray - Bad attitude and body language bar the one chase to the near touchline in the second half. Is classy with the ball at his feet though.

Bad attitude and body language?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

That is the most outrageous description of a performance I've ever read. He absolutely ran himself into the ground. Whether he's doing so because he's in the shop window or not is a different matter, but he gave bloody everything tonight. I know people can see the same game differently, but bloody hell!!!!!!!!!!

I agree completely, I even said to myself at the end of the game 'Gray has put a shift in'. He ran for every ball.

Mafino
UTS Regular

Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:35 am

I think the worst performance of the night doesn't go to Taundry - it goes to the fans. Not a single song was sung in the first seven minutes. When we scored, half the F2G lower sat back down and shut up. I was embarrassed.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:28 am

DR.Phalanges wrote:Taundry was arguably at fault for both goals, he was diabolical tonight,

You forgot to mention him spiriting out for a ball he was never going to get near, thus creating space behind him for Brentford to have another decent chance. That was just after we'd gone 3-2 up. If they'd scored, our season may have been virtually over. Our future hangs on a knife edge, and errors like that may be decisive.

Several players tried fancy flicks and moves, failing epically and conceding possession, at 3-2 up. Thick footballers need to keep it like their girlfriends: simple.

A win. But work to be done. Byfield offers very little, Taundry is not the answer, and although MacDonald is good in the air he is easily flat-footed and as immobile as Mount Rushmore. Brighton's strikers will literally run rings around him. Lancashire had a bad 20 minutes against Yeovil and seems to have disappeared into bench-warming obscurity. I'd have him alongside Butler on Saturday.

Ref needs to know how to apply advantage. Crowd need to find their voice again. Parents who let their kids sprint around the Stadium Suite need to supervise them.

Here endeth the lesson.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:36 am

King Crimson wrote:A win. But work to be done. Byfield offers very little, Taundry is not the answer, and although MacDonald is good in the air he is easily flat-footed and as immobile as Mount Rushmore. Brighton's strikers will literally run rings around him. Lancashire had a bad 20 minutes against Yeovil and seems to have disappeared into bench-warming obscurity. I'd have him alongside Butler on Saturday.

Agree with that. We got away with it last night (very peculiar team selection again). Lancashire was magnificent against Southampton and needs to come back in and play like that again. Hopefully Lescott will be fit to resume at right back.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:52 am

King Crimson wrote:A win. But work to be done. Byfield offers very little, Taundry is not the answer, and although MacDonald is good in the air he is easily flat-footed and as immobile as Mount Rushmore. Brighton's strikers will literally run rings around him. Lancashire had a bad 20 minutes against Yeovil and seems to have disappeared into bench-warming obscurity. I'd have him alongside Butler on Saturday.

Oh good, it's not just me then! Our good spell coincided with Lancashire being in the team and now he seems to have been overlooked. In my opinion, there are two major reasons why we looked better with him in the side;

i) Positioning/communication - Lancashire and Butler formed a good partnership, they communicated and held the line, and Lancashire has a football brain so can read the game
ii) Passing/control - it's no coincidence that we've stopped playing such good football without Lancashire. He offered himself for the pass and he quite often played a simple pass to feet. Compare that with the hoofball played last night.

Personally I thought MacDonald was better than I was expecting but still fairly poor. As KC says, very immobile and the one hoof that nearly cleared the stand was typical of him.

As for the comments about Gray, I am truly shocked :shock: As brilliant as Macken was, I'd say the big difference between 1st and 2nd halves was the tremendous performance by Gray who was moved into a more central role. He caused all sorts of problems and chased hard for the cause.

As for the rest, it's all been said about Taundry. I feel bad criticising because he does give 100%, he's just not good enough. Williams had a poor game but he's still plenty good enough for us. Richards was woeful (and I've pretty much defended him all season), Gbarssin was much better. Cook was mostly poor but his goal was pure class.

And Macken. What a player. His ability to control and create space with a turn away from the defender is pure Premiership-class. Even without the goals, he was man of the match. Add to that his obvious commitment to the cause and, as far as I'm concerned, he's ranking right up there with the best players to play for Walsall in the last 20 years. I'd love to see him play with a really good striker. Mind you, I think Gray has potential in that role.

A nervous evening, excellent results, let's hope Brighton have a few too many to celebrate. This is going to twist and turn all the way to the end. Saturday could see us 3 points clear of relegation or back down deep in bother. Let's hope for the former.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:03 am

Mafino wrote:I think the worst performance of the night doesn't go to Taundry - it goes to the fans. Not a single song was sung in the first seven minutes. When we scored, half the F2G lower sat back down and shut up. I was embarrassed.

I'd like to pay special tribute to the reaction to Richard's substitution. With 5 games to go, having not missed a game all season and being our leading scorer and, I'd wager, our leading points earner, the ironic cheers that accompanied him off the pitch were a disgrace. Take a bow Floors 2 Go Stand because that piece of motivation was the loudest the ground got.

A good win, absolutely vital and credit to the manager who changed to a 4-3-3 on the half hour and made us into a much more dangerous attacking outfit. I thought Butler, Gray and Macken stood out as particularly impressive whilst Walker, Williams, McDonald and Cook did well. Byfield has no match sharpness, Laird was steady but like Richards didn't impose himself whilst Taundry looked vulnerable in his natural position although he does offer more going forwards than Westlake; that isn't his primary role though and he was our weaklink and the watching Brighton scout Darren Wrack must have picked up on that!

A crucial three points; credit to the boys for picking their heads up after the equaliser.

Jockey
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:16 am

King Crimson wrote:
DR.Phalanges wrote:Taundry was arguably at fault for both goals, he was diabolical tonight,
Several players tried fancy flicks and moves, failing epically and conceding possession, at 3-2 up. Thick footballers need to keep it like their girlfriends: simple.

Im glad someone else as picked up on this. I was going mental when Gray and Cook were easily losing possession by doing stupid flicks that were going straight back to Brentford.

If we had failed to win last night Taundry would have been exectuted- Pathetic performance from him.

geoff skillet
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:22 am

what was the team and formation?

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:30 am

Jorge14 wrote:I'd like to pay special tribute to the reaction to Richard's substitution. With 5 games to go, having not missed a game all season and being our leading scorer and, I'd wager, our leading points earner, the ironic cheers that accompanied him off the pitch were a disgrace. Take a bow Floors 2 Go Stand because that piece of motivation was the loudest the ground got.

I looked over to see the utter morons in the FTG cheering his substitution, some of our fans are THE thickest in the country, embarrassing.

Many of our 'fans' are sub human mutants.

Was unlucky enough to have Kev the complete cretin Saddler standing next to me by the kiosk, made me heave, good cross section of the FTG inhabitants though!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:36 am

geoff skillet wrote:what was the team and formation?

Walker - GK
Williams - LB
MacDonald - CB
Butler - CB
Taundry - RB

Gray - LM
Laird - CM
Richards - CM
Cook - RM

Macken - CF
Byfield - CF

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:41 am

saddlerken wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:I'd like to pay special tribute to the reaction to Richard's substitution. With 5 games to go, having not missed a game all season and being our leading scorer and, I'd wager, our leading points earner, the ironic cheers that accompanied him off the pitch were a disgrace. Take a bow Floors 2 Go Stand because that piece of motivation was the loudest the ground got.

I looked over to see the utter morons in the FTG cheering his substitution, some of our fans are THE thickest in the country, embarrassing.

Was unlucky enough to have Kev the complete cretin Saddler standing next to me by the kiosk, made me heave, good cross section of the FTG inhabitants though!

I have to stand with them.

I do wonder who the next boo-boy will be next season.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:I have to stand with them.

I do wonder who the next boo-boy will be next season.

I'll wager it'll be our new 20 goal a season striker, criticised for being selfish ala Fryatt or Dean Smith, for his preference for jumpers and open necked shirts on the touchline.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:44 am

How far out was Macken's 1st goal?

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:53 am

I'm more despondent about our chances of staying up after last night, despite the win. :cry:

We'll have to step it up several notches to get results against Brighton & Sheff Weds.

And please god Deano, take steps to shore up the right side of our defence or we are screwed.

On a brighter note Mackens first goal was top class. Look out for it in the highlights.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:00 am

PJD wrote:I'm more despondent about our chances of staying up after last night, despite the win. :cry:

We'll have to step it up several notches to get results against Brighton & Sheff Weds.

And please god Deano, take steps to shore up the right side of our defence or we are screwed.

On a brighter note Mackens first goal was top class. Look out for it in the highlights.

I dunno, I still think it's on. We need to be better though.

Amazed at how much abuse Richards gets when Taundry has been responsible for both goals.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:09 am

saddlerken wrote:

Sometimes you make me laugh Ken, other times you're clearly just a complete generalising bob-end.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:19 am

saddlersam wrote:
saddlerken wrote:

Sometimes you make me laugh Ken, other times you're clearly just a complete generalising bob-end.

Usually right though!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:40 am

King Crimson wrote: Ref needs to know how to apply advantage.

I have to agree, and I mentioned this in my post in the "All about Walsall" section last night. That, last night, was surely the most bizarre interpretation of the advantage rule that I think I have ever seen from any Referee. I think at least 3-4 times he allowed (correctly) an advantage to Brentford, but basically the Brentford players then went on to bugger up the situation for themselves, then the ref brought the play back and gave a free-kick to them. If the advantage hadn't transpired, then yes, bring the play back, but if it's there and they bugger it up through their own poor play, that is NOT a reason to bring the play back. But he DID, and it was just bizarre.

To compound those errors, when Julian Gray burst through on the right about 10 minutes or so from the end, and looked like getting away and through on goal, the Ref blew, pulled the play-back and awarded us a free kick about on the half-way line for a foul on another of our players. "Inconsistent" hardly descriobes it, he got it totally wrong several times.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:43 am

geoffwhiting wrote:
King Crimson wrote: Ref needs to know how to apply advantage.

I have to agree, and I mentioned this in my post in the "All about Walsall" section last night. That, last night, was surely the most bizarre interpretation of the advantage rule that I think I have ever seen from any Referee. I think at least 3-4 times he allowed (correctly) an advantage to Brentford, but basically the Brentford players then went on to bugger up the situation for themselves, then the ref brought the play back and gave a free-kick to them. If the advantage hadn't transpired, then yes, bring the play back, but if it's there and they bugger it up through their own poor play, that is NOT a reason to bring the play back. But he DID, and it was just bizarre.

To compound those errors, when Julian Gray burst through on the right about 10 minutes or so from the end, and looked like getting away and through on goal, the Ref blew, pulled the play-back and awarded us a free kick about on the half-way line for a foul on another of our players. "Inconsistent" hardly descriobes it, he got it totally wrong several times.

Agree. I made the point last night that Boyeson seemed to be playing rugby union advantages.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:53 am

saddlersam wrote:
saddlerken wrote:

But hes right this time! Our fans are some of the thickest in the country.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:37 am

latviancheese wrote:But hes right this time! Our fans are some of the thickest in the country.

Quite a bold statement to make given the evidence is notable by its absence. How about some statistics?

- What is 'thickness'?
- How can it be measured?
- Can you measure the 'thickness' of all fans in the country?

Hyperbolic crap. I'm not defending the poor judgement of some of the fans, but to suggest it's exclusive to Walsall is inaccurate.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season