Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brentford (H) League 1 Tuesday 12/4/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Location: In the white room with black curtains near the station.

Re: Brentford (H) League 1 Tuesday 12/4/11.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:41 am

matt-thesaddler wrote:How far out was Macken's 1st goal?

At a guess from the other end of the pitch I would say about 25 yards.

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Location: In the white room with black curtains near the station.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:42 am

Jorge14 wrote:
Mafino wrote:I think the worst performance of the night doesn't go to Taundry - it goes to the fans. Not a single song was sung in the first seven minutes. When we scored, half the F2G lower sat back down and shut up. I was embarrassed.

I'd like to pay special tribute to the reaction to Richard's substitution. With 5 games to go, having not missed a game all season and being our leading scorer and, I'd wager, our leading points earner, the ironic cheers that accompanied him off the pitch were a disgrace. Take a bow Floors 2 Go Stand because that piece of motivation was the loudest the ground got.

A good win, absolutely vital and credit to the manager who changed to a 4-3-3 on the half hour and made us into a much more dangerous attacking outfit. I thought Butler, Gray and Macken stood out as particularly impressive whilst Walker, Williams, McDonald and Cook did well. Byfield has no match sharpness, Laird was steady but like Richards didn't impose himself whilst Taundry looked vulnerable in his natural position although he does offer more going forwards than Westlake; that isn't his primary role though and he was our weaklink and the watching Brighton scout Darren Wrack must have picked up on that!

A crucial three points; credit to the boys for picking their heads up after the equaliser.

Agree 100% Jorge14.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:57 am

I think a collective sigh of relief was understandable, at Mr Smith having made the correct substitution, the cheering was idiotic given the points that Richards has won us over the season.

I have no idea what has happened to Richards. I said about a month ago he looked like he was playing with either an injury or a virus...and he just looks to be getting worse. What he did so well through the first 3/4 of the season was move into space, ask for the ball and generally use it intelligently. He's now not moving into the space or asking for the pass anywhere near as much. As for his backtracking, it's non-existent at times. He did make a few great surging runs into the box last night, but they were few and far between and he was the major reason for our midfield being overrun.

Whatever is wrong, it makes me think we should start with Gbarssin on Saturday, ahead of Richards - something I wouldn't have contemplated saying a couple of months ago.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:12 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:Whatever is wrong, it makes me think we should start with Gbarssin on Saturday, ahead of Richards - something I wouldn't have contemplated saying a couple of months ago.

Is this because Gbarssin didn't sign for us until March? :wink: :)

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:16 pm

4143 wrote:
latviancheese wrote:But hes right this time! Our fans are some of the thickest in the country.

Quite a bold statement to make given the evidence is notable by its absence. How about some statistics?

- What is 'thickness'?
- How can it be measured?
- Can you measure the 'thickness' of all fans in the country?

Hyperbolic crap. I'm not defending the poor judgement of some of the fans, but to suggest it's exclusive to Walsall is inaccurate.

Thickness is a measurement of width.
You measure however you like, MM, CM, Inches etc.
At a guess i would say about 789,000 metres.

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:17 pm

Jorge14 wrote:
Mafino wrote:I think the worst performance of the night doesn't go to Taundry - it goes to the fans. Not a single song was sung in the first seven minutes. When we scored, half the F2G lower sat back down and shut up. I was embarrassed.

I'd like to pay special tribute to the reaction to Richard's substitution. With 5 games to go, having not missed a game all season and being our leading scorer and, I'd wager, our leading points earner, the ironic cheers that accompanied him off the pitch were a disgrace. Take a bow Floors 2 Go Stand because that piece of motivation was the loudest the ground got.

A good win, absolutely vital and credit to the manager who changed to a 4-3-3 on the half hour and made us into a much more dangerous attacking outfit. I thought Butler, Gray and Macken stood out as particularly impressive whilst Walker, Williams, McDonald and Cook did well. Byfield has no match sharpness, Laird was steady but like Richards didn't impose himself whilst Taundry looked vulnerable in his natural position although he does offer more going forwards than Westlake; that isn't his primary role though and he was our weaklink and the watching Brighton scout Darren Wrack must have picked up on that!

A crucial three points; credit to the boys for picking their heads up after the equaliser.

Could not agree more with that. Richards has easily been our best player of the season, he just needs a rest. Throughout the whole game i was saying to my mate that he is absolutely nackered and so he should be. Wouldn't start him on saturday but not because of his performances but just to give the lad a little rest.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:29 pm

Deano_Saddler wrote:Could not agree more with that. Richards has easily been our best player of the season, he just needs a rest. Throughout the whole game i was saying to my mate that he is absolutely nackered and so he should be. Wouldn't start him on saturday but not because of his performances but just to give the lad a little rest.

Agree, Laird & Gbarssin please Deano.

aaaae
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:33 pm

You Reds wrote:
Deano_Saddler wrote:Could not agree more with that. Richards has easily been our best player of the season, he just needs a rest. Throughout the whole game i was saying to my mate that he is absolutely nackered and so he should be. Wouldn't start him on saturday but not because of his performances but just to give the lad a little rest.

Agree, Laird & Gbarssin please Deano.

Erm didn't the whole squad have a 15 day rest from the 25th March to the 9th April?

He is only 26 you know?

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:44 pm

4143 wrote:
Quite a bold statement to make given the evidence is notable by its absence. How about some statistics?

- What is 'thickness'? A total lack of intelligence
- How can it be measured? By observing some Walsall fans in the FTG
- Can you measure the 'thickness' of all fans in the country? Yes

Hyperbolic crud. I'm not defending the poor judgement of some of the fans, but to suggest it's exclusive to Walsall is inaccurate.

Its not exclusive to Walsall but we've got a pretty high percentage of mongs knocking about

bangsection
Site Addict

Brentford (H) League 1 Tuesday 12/4/11.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:10 pm

I would argue that by the very act of supporting Walsall they are a cut above every other twanger in a Liverpool/Chelsea/Arsenal/ManUtd shirt.

I am deeply fond of our Mongy fans, I just wouldn't necessarily invite them to a dinner party.

Casual D
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:34 pm

The substitution of Richards was understandable as he was clearly well off the pace right from the kick off, but the sarcastic reaction was entirely unecessary and not helpful in any way. That said, for the first 35 minutes not one player on our side was up to the pace of Brentford or had any kind of first 'touch'. People on here are suggesting the reaction was down to the 'thickness' of saddlers fans but I would put it down to short memories. If it wasn't for his goals, assists and (admittedly better than last nights) performances earlier in the season (even under the dreadful Hutchings), then we wouldn't even be in a relegation battle anymore, we'd be down.

As for the ref's interpretation of 'advantage' he got it wrong pretty much every time. He did it to Brentford in the first half too, where he played the 'advantage,' watched their man (grabban?) race downfield with the ball and then pulled play back for the free kick just as his teammates were getting forward to support. He did have a peculiar interpretation of a few rules though. That's league one refs for you.

Casual D
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:40 pm

Praise for Macken from Deano:
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11719_6869114,00.html

Sky also have an article with Macken about 'that goal' but their site wont let me access it at the mo....

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:03 pm

Completely agree with those who also thought that the over-zealous cheers on Richards' substitution were unacceptable.
At this stage of the season, with just five games left to play, what is exactly is booing a first team regular going to achieve? Ask yourselves that.

In all honesty, if there isn't a place for Lancashire at centre half on Saturday then we should be able to fit him in at right back.
I agreed with those who said that Westlake needed to be taken out of the firing line, but if Taundry is the best alternative we've got, let's go back to how it was before. I never thought I'd say this, but we need Lescott back.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:42 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Completely agree with those who also thought that the over-zealous cheers on Richards' substitution were unacceptable.
At this stage of the season, with just five games left to play, what is exactly is booing a first team regular going to achieve? Ask yourselves that.

In all honesty, if there isn't a place for Lancashire at centre half on Saturday then we should be able to fit him in at right back.
I agreed with those who said that Westlake needed to be taken out of the firing line, but if Taundry is the best alternative we've got, let's go back to how it was before. I never thought I'd say this, but we need Lescott back.

What he said

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:31 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Completely agree with those who also thought that the over-zealous cheers on Richards' substitution were unacceptable.
At this stage of the season, with just five games left to play, what is exactly is booing a first team regular going to achieve? Ask yourselves that..

Disgraceful . A much needed win , out of the drop zone and this is how some fans treat out top goalscorer and best player of the season .

what Matt must be thinking

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:45 pm

Duke wrote:
At this stage of the season, with just five games left to play, what is exactly is booing a first team regular going to achieve? Ask yourselves that..

Disgraceful . A much needed win , out of the drop zone and this is how some fans treat out top goalscorer and best player of the season .

what Matt must be thinking

He's a footballer, they don't think.

Walsall fans have always been the same, from the very first time I went to watch them 30 years ago, infact they are slightly better now than they were at Fellows Park. Never heard such a load of moaning sods as the StreetEnd. I can still remember Nicky Cross, and Phil Hawker getting absolutely slaughtered by the enclosure, and the corner of the Street End as they headed off for half time. Those are two of the best players I have ever seen play for Walsall.

Richards has had a good solid season, and really didn't deserve it, but if he is a man, it won't make much difference to him. I think he will win player of the season, as I can't see many other candidates for it.

windowman
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:39 am

4143 wrote:
latviancheese wrote:But hes right this time! Our fans are some of the thickest in the country.

- What is 'thickness'?

Hyperbolic crud. I'm not defending the poor judgement of some of the fans, but to suggest it's exclusive to Walsall is inaccurate.

suppose we will all be dole scrounging layabouts next :roll:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:26 am

windowman wrote:
4143 wrote:

- What is 'thickness'?

Some would have you believe there's no class system anymore, yet still refer to people in those terms in anger. Unbelievable.

That's not for here, anyway! :D

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:31 pm

windowman wrote:
4143 wrote:

- What is 'thickness'?

ARe you suggesting all people claiming dole are thick? I believe its called JobSeekers Allowance anyway.

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:29 pm

I've watched the highlights 3 or 4 times and i've still not worked out what Taundry was actually trying to do.

windowman
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:02 pm

latviancheese wrote:
windowman wrote:
4143 wrote:

- What is 'thickness'?

ARe you suggesting all people claiming dole are thick? I believe its called JobSeekers Allowance anyway.

think if you read it again, its not me calling anybody thick, after all im just a walsall fan, by your calculations,another brain cell and ill be a plant

aaaae
Site Addict

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:38 pm

Four Oaks Saddler wrote:I've watched the highlights 3 or 4 times and i've still not worked out what Taundry was actually trying to do.

He was trying to be a smart arse and let the ball bounce between his legs and back to the keeper. Unfortunately, because he's a league one player the ball hit his leg, which took just enough pace off it to let their striker skin McDonald for pace and run onto it. :evil:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:06 am

PJD wrote:
Four Oaks Saddler wrote:I've watched the highlights 3 or 4 times and i've still not worked out what Taundry was actually trying to do.

He was trying to be a smart arse and let the ball bounce between his legs and back to the keeper. Unfortunately, because he's a league one player the ball hit his leg, which took just enough pace off it to let their striker skin McDonald for pace and run onto it. :evil:

Just looks like caveman football to me. Watched the ball in the air for about 3-4 seconds, didnt decide wether to welly it back, or control it. In the end did neither because his footballing brain is the size of a pea. :lol:

I really want Taundry to turn into a world beater. He just is atrocious other than his work rate and the occasionally right footed delivery.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:42 pm

latviancheese wrote:
PJD wrote:

He was trying to be a smart backside and let the ball bounce between his legs and back to the keeper. Unfortunately, because he's a league one player the ball hit his leg, which took just enough pace off it to let their striker skin McDonald for pace and run onto it. :evil:

Just looks like caveman football to me. Watched the ball in the air for about 3-4 seconds, didnt decide wether to welly it back, or control it. In the end did neither because his footballing brain is the size of a pea. :lol:

I really want Taundry to turn into a world beater. He just is atrocious other than his work rate and the occasionally right footed delivery.

It was clear what he was trying to do as PJD points out, it was just poorly executed as he didn't realise that their striker was capable of getting onto it.

Defending, rule 1a. If in doubt, kick it out.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:48 pm

To be fair, Taundry isn't a defender. I'm not sticking up for him as such, cos as footballers go, he is pretty useless. Even more reason not to play him in the back 4.

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season