Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reserves v. Scunthorpe United 29/3/11

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Reserves v. Scunthorpe United 29/3/11

Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:21 pm

Reserve League Cup Semi-Final

Walsall 5 1 Scunthorpe United

Saddlers (4-4-2)
David Bevan

Richard Taundry (capt.)
Oliver Lancashire
Clayton McDonald
Jake Jones

Alex Nicholls (Will Mellors-Blair 83rd min)
Paul Marshall
Jack Cresswell
Jamie Paterson

Will Grigg (Joey Butlin 83rd min)
George Bowerman (Connor Deards 83rd min)

Unused substitutes
James Wren (gk)
Tom Hayes

Manager:- Jon Whitney

Goal Log
8th min - 0-1 - non-existent defending on the right flank of the Saddlers defence leaves Matt Godden with a good shooting chance which he duly accepts.
19th min - 1-1 - Michael Collins fouls Paterson out wide and Taundry levels with a cracking free-kick into the top far corner.
24th min - 2-1 - great head-back by Grigg leaves Bowerman with an easy chance.
42nd min - 3-1 - great cross from Paterson headed in by Bowerman, although it appeared to take a touch off the head of Marcus Williams.
55th min - 4-1 - fine individual effort from Paterson.
80th min - 5-1 - a lovely lobbed effort from Bowerman completes the victory.

For the club's official report:-

http://www.saddlers.co.uk/page/News/0,, ... 08,00.html

It was good to see (a slimline) Joe Murphy back at Bescot in a strong Scunthorpe side. The Saddlers started off shakily but soon got back into their stride and will now face Preston North End or Sunderland in the Final.
Bowerman will, understandably, get the plaudits for his hat-trick (although I suspect that the second was an own-goal, it would be churlish to deny young George his glory). Of the others, no-one was outstanding although Paterson was a constant thorn in the Scunthorpe side. He has an excellent touch on the ball and his step-overs would have warmed the cockles of Marshy's heart! :lol:

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Re: Reserves v. Scunthorpe United 29/3/11

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:25 pm

Jake Jones looks like a good player, so does Patterson.

Bowerman had a good game, for a skinnier lad won his fair share of headers, his headed goal was brilliant as he beat his man and produced a great finish.

StudentSaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:35 pm

Who've we got in the final? :)

StudentSaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:27 pm

brummie saddler wrote:Jake Jones looks like a good player, so does Patterson.

Bowerman had a good game, for a skinnier lad won his fair share of headers, his headed goal was brilliant as he beat his man and produced a great finish.

it was the first time he's ever played left back as well, :)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:00 pm

DR.Phalanges wrote:Who've we got in the final? :)

Sunderland or Preston North End.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:20 pm

DR.Phalanges wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:Jake Jones looks like a good player, so does Patterson.

it was the first time he's ever played left back as well, :)

played really well, him and patterson are a very exciting prospect down our left, the new fox and taylor partnership me thinks.

looking back on it, the future is really bright for us, today Scunthorpe had practically a proper reserve team made up of 'men' who just couldnt get in the first team against practically a team of 'kids' who are 1-2 years away from coming through, yet we absolutley cack on them, it wasnt a livley game rather a slow paced one, but we stopped them getting anywhere near our box and when chances came our way we took them really well.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:17 pm

brummie saddler wrote:looking back on it, the future is really bright for us, today Scunthorpe had practically a proper reserve team made up of 'men' who just couldnt get in the first team against practically a team of 'kids' who are 1-2 years away from coming through, yet we absolutley cack on them, it wasnt a livley game rather a slow paced one, but we stopped them getting anywhere near our box and when chances came our way we took them really well.

Latviancheese likes this :mrgreen:

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:30 pm

I think Jamie Paterson has done enough to get some more involvement in the first team, looks a really good prospect

So glad to see the reserves being treated seriously, so important to have a winning squad at all levels and competition for all players, we need the first team to be all looking over their shoulders

The previous manager was indeed an absolute moron

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Re: Reserves v. Scunthorpe United 29/3/11

Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:10 pm

saddlerken wrote:I think Jamie Paterson has done enough to get some more involvement in the first team, looks a really good prospect

Agree. When he was on the fringes of the first team earlier in the season he offered something we didn't have at the time. Direct running at defenders and a willingness to take them on.

Now isn't the time for him but next season he should be getting more starts whatever division we're in.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Re: Re: Reserves v. Scunthorpe United 29/3/11

Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:24 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
saddlerken wrote:I think Jamie Paterson has done enough to get some more involvement in the first team, looks a really good prospect

Agree. When he was on the fringes of the first team earlier in the season he offered something we didn't have at the time. Direct running at defenders and a willingness to take them on.

Now isn't the time for him but next season he should be getting more starts whatever division we're in.

i think he is nicholls pre injury (but better i feel)

i do think nicholls injury is a real mental scar that he just will not get over. any chance of contact and his involvment and performance decreases dramatically

Return to 2010-11 Season