Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Plymouth Argyle (A) League 1 Saturday 09/04/11

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
boringteacher
UTS Legend

Re: Plymouth Argyle (A) League 1 Saturday 09/04/11

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:17 pm

Jockey wrote:Fat fecker is clearing her throat.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb7nwoQVkQE[/youtube]
She'll go to opera length if we dont win on Tuesday.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:17 pm

On the basis of that performance we will not get the results we need to stay up

Could have been embarrassing if not for Walker

Will post report when I get home

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:25 pm

Tuesday is crucial, must win or we are down.

313 saddlers in attendance (Plymouth site)..

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:40 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Plymouth 2 Walsall 0

Unfortunately I was right.
What you reckon Fray Bentos?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:52 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Why are you asking me?

Stalker.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:58 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Why are you asking me?

Stalker.

I like pointing it out to losers! :roll:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:01 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Why are you asking me?

Stalker.

I like pointing it out to losers! :roll:

That you got a score right? Well done, son *ruffles thinning hair*

I'm in the European places in the prediction league, does that not count?

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:12 pm

That we aint relegated yet is a tribute to Smith, and I'm looking forward to next season even if its in the div of death. More than I could say last year, following our season of hitting above our weight, provided by our greatest ever managerial team.

We were as good as relegated when mr charisma left. To stay up now, we need everything to go our way for the last six games. Not impossible, but I'm frankly making plans for a trip to my mates in Accy next year.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:19 pm

boringteacher wrote: Not impossible, but I'm frankly making plans for a trip to my mates in Accy next year.

Ain't ya got any mates in Crawley, or Wimbledon?

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:53 pm

Well that was dreadful. Every bit as bad as the darkest days under Hutchings (and with 5 players signed by Smith rather than his predecessor). We lost virtually every tackle and every header against a side that hasn't been paid in months and when we happened to be lucky enough for the ball to land at our feet, our one tactic seemed to be to kick it as far away from our goal as possible. If a Walsall player was within 20 yards of it, that counted as a good pass.

Walker made a number of good saves, Butler did his usual. If it hadn't been for them, Plymouth could have had six or seven and that would have been a fairer reflection of the game. Richards, Smith and Gbarssin showed some effort but zero quality. The rest were totally anonymous. Gray once again decided he was going to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders and flouted round in a sulk for 70 minutes. You're 31 years old. Grow up.

Smith has rallied us pretty well so far but if he can turn that performance round in time for Tuesday then it will be his best achievement yet.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:12 pm

swiftyboy wrote:Thanks Mr Bonser. Your pathetic swipe at fans who dared to question your running of the club, has condemned us to 4th Division football next season.

I HOPE YOU ARE PROUD OF YOURSELF

Try saving your speach till we are down

bescotheaven

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:16 pm

not a very good performance at all today. We just seemed to constantly play hoofball up to byfield who was trying to run on the wings so we were just shunting it up to no one. Ledesma shouldnt be playing on the wing, he gave westlake no cover and as a result plymouth have a lot of success down that side. As said above walker kept us in the game with some brilliant save.

Lers hope for a good result on tuesday

Torbaysaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:57 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:Well that was dreadful. Every bit as bad as the darkest days under Hutchings (and with 5 players signed by Smith rather than his predecessor). We lost virtually every tackle and every header against a side that hasn't been paid in months and when we happened to be lucky enough for the ball to land at our feet, our one tactic seemed to be to kick it as far away from our goal as possible. If a Walsall player was within 20 yards of it, that counted as a good pass.

Walker made a number of good saves, Butler did his usual. If it hadn't been for them, Plymouth could have had six or seven and that would have been a fairer reflection of the game. Richards, Smith and Gbarssin showed some effort but zero quality. The rest were totally anonymous. Gray once again decided he was going to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders and flouted round in a sulk for 70 minutes. You're 31 years old. Grow up.

Smith has rallied us pretty well so far but if he can turn that performance round in time for Tuesday then it will be his best achievement yet.

Must agree, that was a dreadful performance. I expected something different...... sorry, I don't get to see them week in, week out but I expected a bit more fight and effort. From my perspective they played like strangers, that was no team performance, especially one fighting to stay in Div 1.

Passing was abysmal, keeping the ball was abysmal, movement off the ball was abysmal..... what ever happened on Cannock Chase, it certainly wasn't team bonding.

Sorry folks :(

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:54 pm

Graydon48 wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:Thanks Mr Bonser. Your pathetic swipe at fans who dared to question your running of the club, has condemned us to 4th Division football next season.

I HOPE YOU ARE PROUD OF YOURSELF

Try saving your speach till we are down

Er........

I have!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:57 pm

Awful performance. Another couple like that and we're down.

Bad team selection and tactics from the start but worse than that there was no urgency, organisation, desire, commitment from hardly any of the players. It comes to something when a Plymouth side who aren't getting paid have more of those qualities than our players.

A real kick in the teeth for those of us that travelled all that distance to watch it.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:13 pm

Looking at the map, Plymouth doesn't seem that far away from Swansea, but after a 400 mile round trip, I will think twice about that one in future, particularly after such a non-descript performance.

I would start by giving some credit to Plymouth. They were much better in every department apart from the 'keeper who looked a little dodgy. Unfortunately we didn't give him anywhere near enough to do. Walker, on the other hand, made some excellent saves to keep us in it up 'til half time and was blameless for the goals.

We looked suspect from almost every set piece, we gave the ball away far too often, putting us under unnecessary pressure, and Westlake got skinned (again) all afternoon by a decent winger, but to be fair, he had little or no help from Ledesma.

The midfield seemed like strangers at times, either getting in each others way or generally just passing to no one in particular. When we did get forward down the left, Williams wasted the final ball with some woeful crosses. Agree about Gray and his sulking, however, when he did get involved he looked the most likely to do something. On the credit side, though, there was no lack of committment when it came to throwing bodies in front of the ball. Butler epitomised this.

Lucky to go in 0-0 at HT, and no real surprise when they took the lead. Cue 3 substitutions by Smith, the third of which (Nicholls for Gbarssin) seemed to completely destroy the shape of the team. At times it looked like a primary school game with players all over the shop, no better example than when Richards was outpaced from the half way line for the second goal with not a proper defender in sight. I was disappointed that Ledesma was taken off so early as although he was largely ineffective, he is the one player that could have turned the game on its head. Macken for Byfield was a logical switch, which seemed to work to a point. Cook looked lively without ever getting a real foothold in the game

Apologies for the negative tone of the report. I do try to find positives, but overall, today was very, very poor given the importance of this game and the fact that we have had a two week break. The fact that a fair number of our fans, many of whom are there week in week out, left when the second goal went in, suggests others were of the same mind :(

On that performance, I cannot see where 11/12 points will come from, but let's hope Deano can work some magic by Tuesday

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:12 pm

Ahh feck.

I ay giving up hope but its a kick in the nadgers, i look forward to league two under Smith even if the football in that league is a joke at times, might aswell watch a game of tennis :mrgreen:

UTS

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:50 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Awful performance. Another couple like that and we're down.

Bad team selection and tactics from the start but worse than that there was no urgency, organisation, desire, commitment from hardly any of the players. It comes to something when a Plymouth side who aren't getting paid have more of those qualities than our players.

A real kick in the teeth for those of us that travelled all that distance to watch it.

There has got to be some reason for such a poor performance. Was the 2 week break as much as a benefit as a lot of people thought it would be. I think we would have been more at the races today without the enforced break. Perhaps Plymouth were more up to speed than us because we were ring rusty.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:01 am

Graydon48 wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:Awful performance. Another couple like that and we're down.

There has got to be some reason for such a poor performance. Was the 2 week break as much as a benefit as a lot of people thought it would be. I think we would have been more at the races today without the enforced break. Perhaps Plymouth were more up to speed than us because we were ring rusty.

I wasn't there yesterday, but to hear comments about "strangers" suggests that the balance between team cohesion and new blood may have been tipped too far towards the latter. With Williams, Gbrassin, Laird, Ladesma, and Cook comes some individual quality, but maybe they need time that we don't have to gel. I thought the two week break may help us in this regard - but maybe not enough.

I also note Westlake coming in for some criticism. Maybe we miss Lescott's experience in the run-in.

Thanks to those who went for the reports. Still enough points to play for. The fight back must begin with a performance on Tuesday.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:31 am

As others have said, we were terrible. Very disappointing and hard to reconcile with our performance at MK. Plymouth had more conviction and enthusiasm than us.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Re: Plymouth Argyle (A) League 1 Saturday 09/04/11

Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:15 am

chestersaddler wrote:Looking at the map, Plymouth doesn't seem that far away from Swansea, but after a 400 mile round trip, I will think twice about that one in future, particularly after such a non-descript performance.

I would start by giving some credit to Plymouth. They were much better in every department apart from the 'keeper who looked a little dodgy. Unfortunately we didn't give him anywhere near enough to do. Walker, on the other hand, made some excellent saves to keep us in it up 'til half time and was blameless for the goals.

We looked suspect from almost every set piece, we gave the ball away far too often, putting us under unnecessary pressure, and Westlake got skinned (again) all afternoon by a decent winger, but to be fair, he had little or no help from Ledesma.

The midfield seemed like strangers at times, either getting in each others way or generally just passing to no one in particular. When we did get forward down the left, Williams wasted the final ball with some woeful crosses. Agree about Gray and his sulking, however, when he did get involved he looked the most likely to do something. On the credit side, though, there was no lack of committment when it came to throwing bodies in front of the ball. Butler epitomised this.

Lucky to go in 0-0 at HT, and no real surprise when they took the lead. Cue 3 substitutions by Smith, the third of which (Nicholls for Gbarssin) seemed to completely destroy the shape of the team. At times it looked like a primary school game with players all over the shop, no better example than when Richards was outpaced from the half way line for the second goal with not a proper defender in sight. I was disappointed that Ledesma was taken off so early as although he was largely ineffective, he is the one player that could have turned the game on its head. Macken for Byfield was a logical switch, which seemed to work to a point. Cook looked lively without ever getting a real foothold in the game

Apologies for the negative tone of the report. I do try to find positives, but overall, today was very, very poor given the importance of this game and the fact that we have had a two week break. The fact that a fair number of our fans, many of whom are there week in week out, left when the second goal went in, suggests others were of the same mind :(

On that performance, I cannot see where 11/12 points will come from, but let's hope Deano can work some magic by Tuesday

Can't agree about Ledesma. He's had one good 30 minute spell for us. Yes he's capable of creating something, but Nicholls created more than he had all match.

Ledesma is a player to stay on the bench and come on to make an impact, just as I was saying before the game. If people can't see the difference Macken makes to us they are blind.

Byfield should be nowhere near the starting line up when Macken is on the bench. As soon as he came on we started keeping possession around their box because he held the ball up and allowed midfielders and other players to get around him so he can lay it off.

The ball wouldn't have stuck to Ledesma, Byfield, Gray or Richards yesterday if there was superglue on their boots.

Bad day at the office and definitely something wrong. My thought is that the team thought they had done the hard work at MK and just had to turn up. That and the fact they were lethargic and rusty after 2 weeks doing nothing.

It wouldn't surprise me if we beat Brentford and give Brighton a scare.as they seem to raise their game against the better sides.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:31 am

What did Nicholls do? I must have blinked for a millisecond and missed it :wink:

I don't disagree that Ledesma was ineffective, just that he offers that unpredictability which might just have produced something when we needed it. With Nicholls, you know what you are getting - gash!

You see the contribution that Macken makes when he is not in the side. Things did improve when he came on but there was no end product. No one seemed to want to take responsibility to have a shot.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:10 am

I literally have no idea what we were trying to do when Nicholls came on. He thought he was playing right wing, but so did Gray, Laird and Cook by the looks of things. It was a total shambles, so I wouldn't judge Nicholls on that display.

Ledesma has more ability than anyone else in the team but it's up to Smith to use that properly. I don't think that necessarily has to be from the bench but if you've got him out on the right then someone else is going to have to track back (hence why Westlake was getting beaten - most of the time he was trying to do the job of two men). Our midfield three were totally shown up by Plymouth's three as to how to play the 4-5-1 formation. If Smith wants to persist with it then he's got a lot of thinking to do before Tuesday night. And I agree that dropping Byfield would be a start.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:30 am

chestersaddler wrote:What did Nicholls do? I must have blinked for a millisecond and missed it :wink:

I don't disagree that Ledesma was ineffective, just that he offers that unpredictability which might just have produced something when we needed it. With Nicholls, you know what you are getting - gash!

You see the contribution that Macken makes when he is not in the side. Things did improve when he came on but there was no end product. No one seemed to want to take responsibility to have a shot.

You must have had a very long blink. He put over three crosses into a good area that no-one took advantage of and we kept the ball more because he wasn't trying fancy flicks to players that weren't there to receive them.

People see what they want to see sometimes.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:34 am

Registered Saddler wrote:And I agree that dropping Byfield would be a start.

Shooting him would be a better option. Either that or someone standing behind the opposition goal with his iphone, a sledgehammer and a big sign saying TWITTER IS NO MORE IF YOU DON'T PULL YOUR FINGER OUT, YOU IDLE B******.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:51 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:

Shooting him would be a better option. Either that or someone standing behind the opposition goal with his iphone, a sledgehammer and a big sign saying TWITTER IS NO MORE IF YOU DON'T PULL YOUR FINGER OUT, YOU IDLE B******.

You're so, so, wrong.

Byfield is a Blackberry user. ;)

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:52 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:What did Nicholls do? I must have blinked for a millisecond and missed it :wink:

You must have had a very long blink. He put over three crosses into a good area that no-one took advantage of and we kept the ball more because he wasn't trying fancy flicks to players that weren't there to receive them.

People see what they want to see sometimes.

I want to see him do well, unfortunately he continues to disappoint.

OK he put over three crosses, but if no one is in the space / to get there, it is just a wasted ball.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:54 am

King Crimson wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

You're so, so, wrong.

Byfield is a Blackberry user. ;)

:mrgreen:

Blackberry - the company famously started by the Wolves player with the big afro, of the 70s and 80s.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:17 am

Unpredictable- thats why he plays for us.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:28 am

havent had time to read all the previous comments but i went on train to plymouth yesterday with my mate.
from the first whistle it seems we had set out stall out for a point playing one up front with no real attacking threat just lump it up aimlessly for byfield who to be honest was a waste of space yesterday and didnt even look like a league 2 player in the making.
richards continued to be heavily involved in midfield but couldnt pass the ball 5 yards to any teammate and gave the ball away umpteen teams.
mind you he wasnt on his own doing that.
we got away with it being 0-0 at half time and we should have realised that and changed it immediatly but we had to wait to go one goal down before we made the 2 subs and went 2 up front.
we huffed and puffed for most the second half and never ever looked like getting back into the game.
walker pulled off some wonderful saves to keep the score down but was no surprise when their attacker did richards for pace and slotted past a helpless walker late on second half and the cue for several dozen walsall fans to get that early train out of their.
bearing in mind we set out at 8.30am and got back in house at 9.40pm and spent nearly 200 quid between us on train and entrance tickets then they should be ashamed of that lack lustre performance against a team bottom of the table albeit above us if you take 10 points into account.
they wanted it more than us and it really showed.
somehow if we beat brentford on tuesday well get out bottom 4 on goal difference but there needs to be a remarkable change in play for this to happen lets hope that brentford who probably cant make the playoffs now dont fancy a battle

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season