Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Plymouth Argyle (A) League 1 Saturday 09/04/11

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Re: Plymouth Argyle (A) League 1 Saturday 09/04/11

Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:45 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:And I agree that dropping Byfield would be a start.

Shooting him would be a better option. Either that or someone standing behind the opposition goal with his iphone, a sledgehammer and a big sign saying TWITTER IS NO MORE IF YOU DON'T PULL YOUR FINGER OUT, YOU IDLE B******.

You're so, so, wrong.

Byfield is a Blackberry user. ;)

Well, I'd HTC what he writes on twitter after that! :wink:

bescotheaven

Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:01 pm

anyone know the amount of walsall fans there?

looked around 400 to me but was just wondering what it actually was

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:26 pm

Can't add much to the other reports of those who went, we were gash and bitterloy disappointing. Plymouth were far better than us in ever department apart from GK, Jimmy kept us in the game or longer than we deserved to be in it. The system didn't work at all. I thought we should have gone 4-4-2 with Macken and either Ledesma or Cook to support him with the other one on the bench. Byfield gave us zero, absolutely nothing. For someone who should be fresh and champing at the bit he was hopeless, a complete waste of space. Anymore performances like that and we are down.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:09 pm

bescotheaven wrote:anyone know the amount of walsall fans there?

looked around 400 to me but was just wondering what it actually was

313 mate.

StudentSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:44 pm

My first away game in a long while, and a big disappointment, arrived at the stadium expecting us to give it a real go and walk away with three points, boy i was mistaken.

Walker - Kept us in the game a lot longer than we should of been, some great saves, normal jimmy, etc..
Williams - made a couple of runs, lost the ball a lot, some link up play with gray, wasted a couple of key opportunities,
butler - tried to organise the defence, still went in for headers/tackles after losing a tooth, played well but still made a few mistakes,
smith - gave the ball away, often had to cover westlake,
westlake - over run by Bolasie, couldn't handle him, often out of position, gave bolasie clear runs at goal,
gbarssin - couple of clearences (over head too) but weren't dealt with by the rest of the team, allowed the argilly men to have another go at goal, i would of left him on instead of westlake,
ledesma - had a couple of half chances, one just missed the goal in the first half, didn't add much, should use him as inpact sub, or playing behind two strikers,
laird - personally didn't think he added much to the game before cook and macken came on, got into the plymouth box a few times after the aforementioned came on, not much else.
Richards - looking like a shadow of the player who we had alongside gill, he was laggy, out paced, intercepted, his mistake (join mistake) lead to their second after being out paced by r.paterson. couple of free kicks, button had to go full stretch to keep one of them out, very close,
gray - couple of runs, led to no where, slipped a couple of times, wasted opportunities,
byfield - apparently lost out to the part of the invisible woman to jessica alba, didn't add much, didn't run, didn't shoot, didn't pass, didn't chase,

nicholls - created a few chances, but his crosses were never going to reach our resident frodo in-between duguid and arnasson
macken - held the ball up well, you could see the difference he made when he was on, but to little to late
cook - a speedy lad who ran for balls :shock: and made a real go of it, unlike most of the others out there, i'd like to see him start next game, alongside macken,

acfmt

Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:08 pm

A terrible performance. We went in 4-5-1/4-3-3 to match their formation but they had fallon as the focal point of their side who never gave our centre halves a minutes peace and he had good support from the 2 wide men especially Bolaisie who gave Westlake a torrid time. To play this way you need the 1 to be able to hold the ball up to allow others to support you but unfortunately whilst they had Fallon we had Byfield who was terrible all the time that he was on. With this formation Smith should have gone with Macken as the 1 as we did marginally improve when he came on.

As for Ledesma, i really don't think he should be selected wide right of 5 as he his starved of the ball too much if we haven't got the forward holdingup the ball and bringing him into play. For Tuesday it has to be Macken & Ledesma or Cook, who does look a busy little player who might link well with Macken.

As others have said, if it hadn't been for Walker then we could have easily been hit for 4 or 5. Everything about the team was sluggish and they were first to nearly every ball and seemed to have far too much time and space to do what they wanted especially down our right hand side.

A word also about Julian Gray. Is is too much to ask for him just to show a little appreciation to the fans that had travelled all that way and spent quite a lot of money doing so, i cannot stand the way he just walks off at the end of the game without acknowleding the fans and it was good to see Smith standing by the tunnell and actually make him turn and to the fans on Saturday.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:23 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:And I agree that dropping Byfield would be a start.

Shooting him would be a better option. Either that or someone standing behind the opposition goal with his iphone, a sledgehammer and a big sign saying TWITTER IS NO MORE IF YOU DON'T PULL YOUR FINGER OUT, YOU IDLE B******.

You're so, so, wrong.

Byfield is a Blackberry user. ;)

Well, I'd HTC what he writes on twitter after that! :wink:

Really? I have no Desire either.

Shame that this was such a let down by all accounts on here. Saving ourselves for Tuesday maybe? Slack after two weeks without a game? Who knows. Needs sorting fast!

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:27 am

watched the highlights .my god how slow do richards and westlake look.thank god for wacka otherwise we would be dead and buried a long time ago.if westlake stays right back we are phooked he gets ripped apart most games and we cant afford another slip.also since dean brought in gabbasin we have gone too negative and have won 1 in 6
surely we have to have a proper go at it and not start off looking for a draw with 451 how many chances did we create yesterday against a team who hadnt scored for 3 games.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Re: Plymouth Argyle (A) League 1 Saturday 09/04/11

Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:18 am

morethanuknow wrote:watched the highlights .my god how slow do richards and westlake look.thank god for wacka otherwise we would be dead and buried a long time ago.if westlake stays right back we are phooked he gets ripped apart most games and we cant afford another slip.also since dean brought in gabbasin we have gone too negative and have won 1 in 6
surely we have to have a proper go at it and not start off looking for a draw with 451 how many chances did we create yesterday against a team who hadnt scored for 3 games.

Personally I think the negativity started when Nicholl got more involved.

How many chances did we create? Couple of half chances at best.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:34 am

wednesburysaddler wrote:bearing in mind we set out at 8.30am and got back in house at 9.40pm and spent nearly 200 quid between us on train and entrance tickets then they should be ashamed of that lack lustre performance against a team bottom of the table albeit above us if you take 10 points into account.
they wanted it more than us and it really showed.

I have a lot of sympathy from that point of view. I have no patience for the likes of Gray and Byfield who make fans look like mugs for shelling out all that time, effort and money when players like them have no interest in winning the game. As normal, Butler is the first one over the applaud the fans who made the journey. I don't know how he doesn't end up chinning them if they're like that day in, day out.

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:57 pm

good point about nichol

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:48 pm

I hate singling individuals out in the main, but can't for the life of me see what D. Smith sees in M. Smith.
Lancashire had a bad 30 mins against Yeovil and hasn't been seen since, yet we're yet to have a decent run in the side with Smith at the heart of our back four. Coincidence? Probably not.

Saturday showed why we'll go down. I wasn't there (was filling the bookies' pockets at Aintree) but the reports and highlights suggest that we were lacking in the fight, passion & desire stakes again. We saw that under Hutchings and now we've seen it rear its ugly head under Smith.
We're forty games into the season now. If they players haven't already gathered that they don't have the ability as a team to beat times without solid graft, they never will.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:38 am

WFC_Rob wrote:I hate singling individuals out in the main, but can't for the life of me see what D. Smith sees in M. Smith.
Lancashire had a bad 30 mins against Yeovil and hasn't been seen since, yet we're yet to have a decent run in the side with Smith at the heart of our back four. Coincidence? Probably not.

Completely agree. Since Lescott has been injured and Smith has come in for Lancashire we have looked a lot more suspect at the back. Lancashire is a lot better than Smith, whatever Manny had last season he has certainly lost. As for Westlake, Lescott's return from injury cannot come soon enough. Westlake has potential but is just not ready to be thrown in at the deep end in a relegation scrap.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:05 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:I hate singling individuals out in the main, but can't for the life of me see what D. Smith sees in M. Smith.

Completely agree. Since Lescott has been injured and Smith has come in for Lancashire we have looked a lot more suspect at the back. Lancashire is a lot better than Smith, whatever Manny had last season he has certainly lost. As for Westlake, Lescott's return from injury cannot come soon enough. Westlake has potential but is just not ready to be thrown in at the deep end in a relegation scrap.

Agree with all of that, WS.

Sounds like Manny wasn't too happy at being dropped tonight either. Maybe he needs to look at the DVDs of his recent performances before speeding out of the club car park in his beamer.

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season