Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Yeovil Town (A) League 1 Saturday 12/3/11,

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: Yeovil Town (A) League 1 Saturday 12/3/11,

Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:49 pm

morethanuknow wrote:gills last game for us we was cack ,we beat southhampton without gill so i dont buy into that richards is cack without gill.richards as been dire in the last 4 or 5 games and i do think
gill was replacable but dean went and got a player that you and other fans said we needed but his record suggested he was a poor player and i feel we have gone backwards since dean
brought in froggy and played him in 3 crucial games in walsalls recent history.personaly i blame the manager richards should be dropped because hes not getting any better and froggy
is poor so if we can lets look at the loan market but until then we have to try something else quick.

Wow!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:55 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:Now, if you can secure us ... even someone as average as Frank Lampard, you may have a case for dropping Richards.

Oh don't be so ridiculous. I'm not a huge Richards fan but even he's better than that waste of space. By the way, there is no point in arguing with a fan that can't even be bothered to learn one of our own players names, instead using a xenophobic sobriquet. Perhaps we can start referring to Darren Byfield as 'blackie' too? Depressingly, almost every criticism of Gbarssin that I heard yesterday took the form 'you French XXXX'.

I wrote on another thread, that I spent half an hour at the hotel bar with Emmanuel after the game last Tuesday. He came across as intelligent, articulate and had a far better mastery of the English language than most of the clowns who, as you say cannot be bothered to even learn his name.

Gawd 'elp us :roll:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:58 pm

Personally, having listened to the game and since spoken to people who went, I think Smith needs to look to do something different with our starting line-up.

Aside from the fact that they are inherently poor, the likes of Taundry and Nicholls will be singled out for their weaknesses by each opposition we play. Even the most basic of scouting networks would be able to watch one of our matches and pick out those two (and possibly Westlake on current form) as the weaknesses in our side.

Unfortunately, rather than playing our game and taking the game to our opposition, as we were doing when Smith first took charge, we've reverted to lining up to try & stifle the opposition. As KC has said on this thread and numerous others, Taundry's fight & battle might have some value in another situation, but it's not going to win us football matches, which is what we need the way things stand.

Gbarssin hasn't improved us since he's come in, but ultimately, he's there to stay solid in the middle of the park, leaving our more attacking players to do the damage. For all his faults (petulance and an occasional lack of discipline), I think Ledesma needs to play. Yes, he should have done better with his chance yesterday, but in previous matches we wouldn't have had anyone offering support for the man on the ball at all, so at least he causes problems.

Calls to drop Richards at the moment are ludicrous, by the way.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:36 pm

morethanuknow wrote:can i ask you this every fan knows we have had a poor midfield all season.richarsds as played every minute of every game in midfield so why as he avoided the chop.we blame every body else who plays there other than him.fans say richards as gone poo since the frog as come ,so they blame richards being dire on the frog or they say because such aplayer played alongside richards he had a bad game through the other player.anyway i feel its too late to sought it out now weve had all season to sought it out and we are no further on.

Wasn't midfield a position we didn't need to strengthen in?

Amazing that I was an idiot to you for saying it...

Bless.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:02 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:He'll never manage to read all that Queen :mrgreen:

Quite right, I've fixed that for him:

King Crimson wrote:oo ark at er queen crimson how very dare you whats confrontational about reminding you what you posted a couple of weeks ago namely that gills departure was no great loss and that we could replace him easily others on this thread not me until now have merely had the audacity to point out that gill did the simple things well (and he chipped in with a couple of goals too while he was here id agree with them and add that our midfield looks a pale imitation of what it was only a few weeks ago yes we beat southampton without him but the world and his wife know that we were battered that game and snuck it through a defensive error on their part hardly a vindication of our ability to manage without him is it do i think we should drop richards no several reasons and ill take this verrrrryyyyy verrrrrrrryyyyyyyy slowwwwwwwwly for you a form is temporary class is permanent he is not playing as well as he has but over the course of the season he has been one of our consistently strongest performers he has a footballing brain and a decent enough touch which makes up for his inadequacies (pace being the biggest absence in his game his touch has eluded him of late but it wont return with him bench-warming b we have scored three goals in our last half dozen games proposing to drop the player who is both our leading goalscorer and leading provider of goals may not be decision-making of mourinho-esque standards c we are in a relegation dog-fight here were beginning to see some younger players beginning to buckle under the pressure most notably westlake but nicholls too is floundering and even lancashire is starting to wobble (taundry and marshall as our other younger players ill come on to later almost everyone in football will claim that a few experienced heads in the dressing room are invaluable richards even at 25 falls into this category given the number of first team appearances hes made in his career d we drop richards and replace him with when you claimed gill was easily replaceable i asked you to source me a player from the multitude on soccerbase who would be suitable you didnt if the replacement is one of our own players these are the choices taundry - almost universally regarded as little better than hopeless hes scored no goals this season contributed next to nothing and left westlake totally exposed game after game recently when hes been played in front of him on the right both goals from orient came from this area of the pitch given that being solid is about the only claim to being a footballer he has (except perhaps for nearly being able to take a long throw hes hardly suggested that hes the answer to our midfield problems marshall - whom you described as a player destined for the championship but is mostly described by others on here and at games in a way that were i to repeat it would see my post moderated inexperienced lacking in confidence and no genuine signs that he has the footballing ability or mental strength to enter a relegation battle in the most combative part of the pitch with gusto geddes - out on loan erm thats it unless your plan is to stick big mac manny smith or darren byfield in the middle so im assuming youre after another loanee this would be to stick alongside our current loanee (played two games in the middle to add to our new striker/winger in ladesma and our new full-back in williams and presumably theyre all supposed to gel and produce ticcy-taccy football for the end-of-season run-in e i wasnt going to mention the numerous man of the matchs richards has won - but seeing as you did and the fact that he is as you say one of the first names on the team sheet both of these facts may suggest that others (most importantly the manager dont see things quite as you do despite your username now if you can secure us xabi alonso on loan for a few weeks or perhaps even someone as average as frank lampard you may have a case for dropping richards if youre thinking of an in-house solution - forget it if its a loanee do what you didnt do when asked about gill and tell us all who best wishes queen crimson xx

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:02 pm

so after all your waste of space of a reply once again you all fail to answer my simple question
richards set them up yesterday twice that means he laid it on a plate for them not once but twice and they was that cack they couldnt finish and you say its alright matt .
and yes the frogg is bobbins as his record suggested before he came .stop blaming richards dire run of form on other players do you know how stupid that sounds.richards under no preasure laid it on a plate twice yesterday how can anyone keep blaming the players around him.

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:16 pm

in my opinion the last 3 games just played have ended any chance we had and to be honest i dont give a phook what any of you clowns say deans decision to bring in the french guy after the southamton game seems to have knocked the fight out of our team so in my opinion its to late to do anything now and yes we are stuck with richards in the middle til the end .but
anyway matt its ok if you dont want to turn up for walsall and not be bothered you will still play according to fans on here.at least taundry for all his faults as been giving everything richards hasnt sorry.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:19 pm

morethanuknow wrote:so after all your waste of space of a reply once again you all fail to answer my simple question
richards set them up yesterday twice that means he laid it on a plate for them not once but twice and they was that cack they couldnt finish and you say its alright matt .
and yes the frogg is bobbins as his record suggested before he came .stop blaming richards dire run of form on other players do you know how stupid that sounds.richards under no preasure laid it on a plate twice yesterday how can anyone keep blaming the players around him.

If Richards gifted them two chances yesterday then that's not great at all. But, if he didn't make mistakes he wouldn't be playing for us, would he? What the manager has to consider is whether the benefit outweighs the cost. I'll phrase that more simply for you: does the player do more good stuff than bad stuff?

Butler scored an own goal, and went public for a slip earlier in the season that cost us. Should he be dropped? Of course not. But, if a player offers little (step forward, Richard Taundry) and costs us, then they are more likely to face the axe.

I see you haven't taken Longdog's hint about punctuation. Tut! Tut!

QC
x

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:35 pm

King Crimson wrote:Now, if you can secure us ... even someone as average as Frank Lampard, you may have a case for dropping Richards.

To mention Super Frank in the same post as Richards is a bit like comparing a ferrari with an old bangor that as been sent to scrap.
You really are beyond belief.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:38 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

To mention Super Frank in the same post as Richards is a bit like comparing a ferrari with an old bangor that as been sent to scrap.

Bangor? What's he got to do with it?

You're right. It's a daft comparison. Richards has scored far more times than Lampard this season. :mrgreen:

And if you could read, you'd understand the point had little to do with Frank or Xabi Alonso.

What's your informed opinion of Matt Richards, Sheff?

Finally, car analogies may not be appropriate for Frank at the mo. 90 day ban only yesterday for doing 91 mph in a 50 mph zone? Ferrari indeed.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:02 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Precisely Sheff I agree with you! Lampard is way past it!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:35 am

Aldridge_saddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Precisely Sheff I agree with you! Lampard is way past it!

I also think that Daz will be extremely upset at being called an "Old Bangor"! Oh, sorry, did he mean "banger"?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:38 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Sunday drinking eh, Sheff?

saddler79
UTS Regular

Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:00 pm

Watched the highlights today. Just how bad is Andy Williams!! Makes Carlos Caneiro (sp) look like Messi!!

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:16 pm

saddler79 wrote:Watched the highlights today. Just how bad is Andy Williams!! Makes Carlos Caneiro (sp) look like Messi!!

Had a decent tv show, often featuring the Osmonds.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:09 pm

King Crimson wrote:
morethanuknow wrote:so after all your waste of space of a reply once again you all fail to answer my simple question

If Richards gifted them two chances yesterday then that's not great at all. But, if he didn't make mistakes he wouldn't be playing for us, would he? What the manager has to consider is whether the benefit outweighs the cost. I'll phrase that more simply for you: does the player do more good stuff than bad stuff?

Butler scored an own goal, and went public for a slip earlier in the season that cost us. Should he be dropped? Of course not. But, if a player offers little (step forward, Richard Taundry) and costs us, then they are more likely to face the axe.

QC
x

Richards makes mistakes as hes doing the job of 2 men in the middle.Gbrassin, Marshall and Taundry dont help at all when they play in centre mid, when Gill was here Richards performed much better. Now hes gone, he has to do the job of 2 men and its obvious he wont perform aswell when doing so.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:39 am

matt-thesaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

QC
x

Richards makes mistakes as hes doing the job of 2 men in the middle.Gbrassin, Marshall and Taundry dont help at all when they play in centre mid, when Gill was here Richards performed much better. Now hes gone, he has to do the job of 2 men and its obvious he wont perform aswell when doing so.

Whilst I agree with that, I wouldn't attribute every error to it. Richards does make the occasional "unforced error" as they say in tennis. He'll have the ball under control at his feet, have space around him, have options for a simple pass, and still not execute it accurately. However, it happens less with him than any of his current midfield team mates.

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:58 pm

.matt the saddler ,richards under no presure lays it on a plate for the other team not once but twice and you blame the players around him maybe richards is the one making other players look bad or doesnt that even enter your head. :? :?
crimson, matt makes the odd error :shock: :shock: twice on a plate in one game is not an odd error and on top of that he as been doing nothing to warrant a place at the moment

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:08 pm

King Crimson wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

QC
x

Whilst I agree with that, I wouldn't attribute every error to it. Richards does make the occasional "unforced error" as they say in tennis. He'll have the ball under control at his feet, have space around him, have options for a simple pass, and still not execute it accurately. However, it happens less with him than any of his current midfield team mates.

But as you said in a previous post, if he didnt make these errors then would he be playing at a higher level.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:10 pm

morethanuknow wrote:.matt the saddler ,richards under no presure lays it on a plate for the other team not once but twice and you blame the players around him maybe richards is the one making other players look bad or doesnt that even enter your head. :? :?
crimson, matt makes the odd error :shock: :shock: twice on a plate in one game is not an odd error and on top of that he as been doing nothing to warrant a place at the moment

Twice in 90 minutes, given how much he sees of the ball, is "odd". Even the likes of Xavi and Iniesta will make two stray passes in a game.

As for "doing nothing to warrant a place in the team", I can only assume that you are amongst the football connoisseurs who used to curse Simon Osborn, Tom Bennett and chums for quietly retaining possession and moving the ball on to players who can create. Graham Taylor used to refer to such footballers as "continuity players".

Quite frankly, you're embarrassing yourself. If you can't see how "ludicrous" (WFC_Rob's words) your position is, then there's little point in proffering a response.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:17 pm

King Crimson wrote:
morethanuknow wrote:.matt the saddler ,richards under no presure lays it on a plate for the other team not once but twice and you blame the players around him maybe richards is the one making other players look bad or doesnt that even enter your head. :? :?

Twice in 90 minutes, given how much he sees of the ball, is "odd". Even the likes of Xavi and Iniesta will make two stray passes in a game.

As for "doing nothing to warrant a place in the team", I can only assume that you are amongst the football connoisseurs who used to curse Simon Osborn, Tom Bennett and chums for quietly retaining possession and moving the ball on to players who can create. Graham Taylor used to refer to such footballers as "continuity players".

Quite frankly, you're embarrassing yourself. If you can't see how "ludicrous" (WFC_Rob's words) your position is, then there's little point in proffering a response.

This is the same lad who says Marshall is championship class. That says it all really.

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:49 pm

comparing richards to 2 top barcelona players who are playing at the top level week in week out against top players is the biggest laugh i have eared this year
matt and crimson can you answer me this matt richards as done nought in the last 3 games .hes not a playmaker he doesnt head it he doesnt tackle he sets up the opposition and he hasnt scored
so please tell me what has he done in the last 3 games because id love to know.yes i would change the midfield and i would drop richards but to be honest i cant see the wood through the trees anymore at walsall.as for the marshall comment i would start him in richards place just because richards as become very poor in the last 3 or 4 games and the kid will probably give more than matty because matty is giving nothing at the moment .i know this hurts you but if you was honest you would say richards performances in the last 4 games are not acceptable but your not prepared to accept that matty as been guano so theres no point in carrying on this debate.we will have to agree to disagree and lets all hope dean can do something different to change the poor little run we are on at the moment because were doomed if he doesnt sought it out.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:11 pm

morethanuknow wrote:comparing richards to 2 top barcelona players who are playing at the top level week in week out against top players is the biggest laugh i have eared this year

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thickett

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:12 pm

PS - Sought your spellin oot. wats ur favrit typo?

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:19 pm

sorry sir
nob

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:22 pm

morethanuknow wrote:sorry sir
nob

Knob. Surely?

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:24 pm

no point in changing now :lol: :lol:

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:16 pm

morethanuknow wrote:comparing richards to 2 top barcelona players who are playing at the top level week in week out against top players is the biggest laugh i have eared this year
matt and crimson can you answer me this matt richards as done nought in the last 3 games .hes not a playmaker he doesnt head it he doesnt tackle he sets up the opposition and he hasnt scored
so please tell me what has he done in the last 3 games because id love to know.yes i would change the midfield and i would drop richards but to be honest i cant see the wood through the trees anymore at walsall.as for the marshall comment i would start him in richards place just because richards as become very poor in the last 3 or 4 games and the kid will probably give more than matty because matty is giving nothing at the moment .i know this hurts you but if you was honest you would say richards performances in the last 4 games are not acceptable but your not prepared to accept that matty as been guano so theres no point in carrying on this debate.we will have to agree to disagree and lets all hope dean can do something different to change the poor little run we are on at the moment because were doomed if he doesnt sought it out.

So you would drop Richards for Marshall?

And you say our posts are stupid?

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:28 pm

Richards has been little more than terrible in the last few games but change him for Marshall???? Don't make me laugh.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:34 pm

Like I've said all along... The best of a bad bunch.

If I could replace him, I would, but we cor.

I do enjoy winding plebs up by saying he's the next Xavi, Lampard or Socrates.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season