Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leyton Orient (H) League 1 Tuesday 8/3/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Duke
Site Addict

Re: Leyton Orient (H) League 1 Tuesday 8/3/11.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:44 pm

Not our night , hit the woodwork twice other results going against us , we live to fight another day .

Things could change again on Saturday lets not get too despondent .

UP THE SADDLERS

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:47 pm

Two goals in seven games tells its own story. If Swindon, Plymouth and Bristol Rovers win their games in hand we will be back where we started: bottom of the league. The fact that Dagenham & Redbridge are now level with us with four matches in hand is simply frightening.

It's not over yet, but we simply have to win at Yeovil, I'm just not sure where the guile and creativity is going to come from to help us do it [based on Swindon].

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:11 pm

How do I sum up that performance in one word?

Relegation.

We have had it, I cannot now for the life of me see how we will survive after that IF we play like that - which we have done for the last few games now in my opinion.

The performance was woeful. I can only describe it as we were a team trying to play football against a team that were simply better than us. Orient bossed the game and looked dangerous on the break and could have had more goals than they did have.

We are paying now for the time it took Jeff Bonser to sack Chris Hutchings - there is no other person who can take any blame. If we do go down - it is his fault. We are reaping what that man sowed at the start of the season.

Walker - One good save, no chance with the goals.

Westlake - completely outclassed and had zero attacking threat.
Butler - Worst game for us.
Lancashire - Had a nightmare, no confidence on the ball and his composure and decision making was horrendous.
Williams - got forward well but his quality of delivery was very poor.

Taundry - Ran about a bit, but did absolutely nothing of any note whatsoever.
Richards - I have seen Richards in the last 4 games now and he has been diabolical. Never makes a forward pass or gets beyond our forward line. Woeful.
Gbrassin - Made a few tackles but lacked any support from Richards to do anything.
Gray - the only forward player who looked like doing anything.

Ledesma - should not be playing in this advanced position - he needs to be deeper to have more influence on the game. Why on earth was he taken off? Madness.
Macken - Very, very poor. A couple of good touches but he just looked completely knackered after about 10 minutes.

The main problem with our performance was the complete lack of pace everywhere on the field. There was nothing going forward - Ledesma and Macken were both coming deep at the same time, meaning there was NOTHING ahead of them when they received the ball.

We are going down unfortunately - thanks Jeff.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:16 pm

Mick Kearns speaking on WM , was very disappointed with tonight's performance .

I'm not ready to though the towel in just yet , it could all change again on Saturday

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:20 pm

Walker of old would have saved the first goal.

Orient obviously grind out results, they soaked up our pressure and made us look weak. They murdered us on the break, they have some quality players. With a bit more luck we could have grabbed a few goals, Gbarssins shot that hit the bar was sublime. Ladesma looks like a genius in our team but was really quite average tonight. Westlake had a stinker. Two soft goals i thought.

Walker - Meh, he was solid but i thought he was slow on the first goal.
Westlake - Pretty crap to be honest.
Butler - Headed everything away except for Orients first goal, where there lump of a forward headed it of the back of Butlers head.
Lancashire - Okay, hoofball crap.
Williams - Slow. Slow.Slow. Slow. Slow in the brain, the reason he cant cross so well is he takes forever to get the cross in.

Taundry - Lol. Won a few headers.
Gbarssin - Went from being a great battler to giving the ball away like a ten year old.
Richards - Passed it well all night, tried to get stuck in. Not sure what all the mindless booing was when he got MOTM. There wasnt alot to choose from was there.
Gray - My motm, ran into a few dead ends and tried to do too much, but at least he looks like hes trying to get a move going.

Ledesma - Should have been carded for diving twice, Disgraceful. Played alright though, always looks forward.
Macken - Tried his best but not a lot he can do if he has no one to play with him.

Subs
Nicholls - Drivel.
Byfield - Unlucky with his overhead kick, looked lively i guess.

Forbes at the back for Orient was a rock for them, and Kane and Jarvis? on the left were good. MAssive game on saturday.

Special mention to the mindless morons in the f2g lower by me. Thick as pig cack. I despair at the low life that supports Walsall Fc.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:26 pm

That was one horrible game Hutchings-esque. One of far too many horrible games this season. The atmosphere was just dead, the game was dead, our season is dead.
Last edited by Graydon48 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:29 pm

Graydon48 wrote:That was one horrible game Hutchings-esque. One of far to many horrible games this season. Atmosphere was just dead, game was dead, our season, over dead.

Unfortunatly i feel that way too at the moment :(

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:31 pm

We are really missing Matt Gill.The french guy Gbarssin is about as good as Davis from Wolves --really poor.
Westlake was poor tonight.I suppose on another day we had enough chances to get something from the game but in reality Orient were the better side and deserved the win.
Flat performance/flat atmosphere.
Bring on Yeovil!

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:37 pm

latviancheese wrote:Walker of old would have saved the first goal.

Orient obviously grind out results, they soaked up our pressure and made us look weak. They murdered us on the break, they have some quality players. With a bit more luck we could have grabbed a few goals, Gbarssins shot that hit the bar was sublime. Ladesma looks like a genius in our team but was really quite average tonight. Westlake had a stinker. Two soft goals i thought.

Westlake - Pretty crud to be honest.
Butler - Headed everything away except for Orients first goal, where there lump of a forward headed it of the back of Butlers head.
Lancashire - Okay, hoofball crud.
Williams - Slow. Slow.Slow. Slow. Slow in the brain, the reason he cant cross so well is he takes forever to get the cross in.

Gbarssin - Went from being a great battler to giving the ball away like a ten year old.
Richards - Passed it well all night, tried to get stuck in. Not sure what all the mindless booing was when he got MOTM. There wasnt alot to choose from was there.
Gray - My motm, ran into a few dead ends and tried to do too much, but at least he looks like hes trying to get a move going.

Ledesma - Should have been carded for diving twice, Disgraceful. Played alright though, always looks forward.
Macken - Tried his best but not a lot he can do if he has no one to play with him.

Subs
Nicholls - Drivel.

Forbes at the back for Orient was a rock for them, and Kane and Jarvis? on the left were good. MAssive game on saturday.

Special mention to the mindless morons in the f2g lower by me. Thick as pig guano. I despair at the low life that supports Walsall Fc.

what where the fans doing ?

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:40 pm

latviancheese wrote:Walker of old would have saved the first goal.

Westlake - Pretty crud to be honest.
Lancashire - Okay, hoofball crud.

Subs
Nicholls - Drivel.

Special mention to the mindless morons in the f2g lower by me. Thick as pig guano. I despair at the low life that supports Walsall Fc.

Can't really disagree with anything in this. They bossed the game for the first 15 minutes, but despite us looking anaemic and slow going forward, we probably should have been in front before we decided collectively to let them score an unchallenged goal. The whole defence was poor, though not as bad as under Hutchings - it wasn't that bad tonight, at least we had worthwhile shots on target. After they scored the 2nd, Westlake asleep again, we were simply complete and utter shite.

Again, I was a bit concerned that Smith was late in subbing our hodcarrier on the right, and not trying something, ANYTHING, when we were 2 down.

Even with 10 games left, we may be down if we dont win on Saturday.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:41 pm

Poor game tonight. Everyones distribution was poor. Got annoyed with the idiots near me slagging williams... yes he had a poorer game tonight, but the recent clean sheets speak for themselves since his inclusion. I thought Richards had another poor game too, but still always there looking for the ball. Gbrassin looks solid and out of all of them could have got MOTM.

Argie-boy... showed some good touches at times... but FFS, whats with the rolling around. Give it up, its embarrassing. The second time he rolled about 8 times before stopping... someone should tell him!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:42 pm

m&m wrote:We are really missing Matt Gill.The french guy Gbarssin is about as good as Davis from Wolves --really poor.
Westlake was poor tonight.I suppose on another day we had enough chances to get something from the game but in reality Orient were the better side and deserved the win.
Bring on Yeovil!

Interesting comment about Gbarssin, m&m. Although he had a decent last 20 minutes at Swindon, on the whole I thought he was poor, and could not understand the praise that he seemed to be getting after the match on here. I thought it was just me, but maybe not :? .

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:50 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
m&m wrote:We are really missing Matt Gill.The french guy Gbarssin is about as good as Davis from Wolves --really poor.
Bring on Yeovil!

Interesting comment about Gbarssin, m&m. Although he had a decent last 20 minutes at Swindon, on the whole I thought he was poor, and could not understand the praise that he seemed to be getting after the match on here. I thought it was just me, but maybe not :? .

He likes to stare at the ball. He's still 500 times the player Laundry will ever be mind. I thought he was decent when he looked like he could be arsed.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:46 pm

Disappointing performance and even more disappointing result. Thought we actually got back into it after they murdered us for the first 15 minutes. They looked like a side who had only lost twice in 25. Neat and tidy, full of confidence and threatening going forward. Still on another night we could also have score a couple, though primarily from long range efforts. We rarely looked like creating chances which is worrying. Couldn't understand why Ledesma went off instead of Macken, Macken was shocking tonight. Even though Ledesma didn't do a lot there was always the possibility he might and he was certainly more threatening than Macken who apart from one shot towards the end was useless, though admittedly he had little support. Thought Gray was our liveliest player by a country mile.

Walker didn't do a lot wrong, first goal was in slow motion looping over his head.

Westlake - Not great, hardly got forward at all which when he plays well is the best part of his game.
Butler - Decent performance
Lancashire - Looked dodgy at times, poor distribution
Williams - Steady but far from spectacular

Taundry - Ran around a lot
Gbarssin - Fantastic shot, very unlucky, it would have been an absolute screamer. Looks like he can tackle and do simple things well, I'll reserve judgement
Richards - Didn't do a lot, was surprised he got MOTM but as Latvian said there were not many better candidtaes
Gray - Also my motm, looked dangerous at times and worked his socks off. He seems to be a completely different player compared to earlier in the season

Ledesma - Looked threatening a couple of times but not involved enough. I would have kept him on for the potential spark that he might have given us. Rolling around was embarassing
Macken - Worse game I have seen him have for us. I actually think he is a good player who leads the line well, but did nothing of any value tonight. However, he had no support from midfield or anywhere else for that matter

Subs
Nicholls - Why?
Byfield - Looked lively when he came on and unlucky with overhead kick

I know there is never a good time to concede but the timing of their goals killed us tonight. Just on half time and then just when we showed some signs of going forward in the second half. Worrying that we created so little. Tightening up at the back is great but unfortunately that appears to have been at the cost of creating much going forward.

We really really really need to win Saturday now :(

Still Asps only charged me 20p interest for my Fleetwood ticket so the night wasn't a total disaster :D

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:14 am

is it just me or does anybody else hum the Beverly Hills cop theme tune whenever Gbarssin gets the ball....

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:20 am

Made me laugh that every time I heard anyone mention him tonight everyone referred to him as 'that French bloke' :D

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:20 am

latviancheese wrote:
Graydon48 wrote:That was one horrible game Hutchings-esque. One of far to many horrible games this season. Atmosphere was just dead, game was dead, our season, over dead.

Unfortunatly i feel that way too at the moment :(

Me too, a Dogface-esque performance but without monkey Brain in goal

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:22 am

belgiansaddler wrote:Made me laugh that every time I heard anyone mention him tonight everyone referred to him as 'that French bloke' :D

Or Froggy. As the mindless boring moaning scum sitting by me referred to him. Its easier for them to say than a name with more than one syllable.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:27 am

latviancheese wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:Made me laugh that every time I heard anyone mention him tonight everyone referred to him as 'that French bloke' :D

Or Froggy. As the mindless boring moaning scum sitting by me referred to him. Its easier for them to say than a name with more than one syllable.

Unfortunately we do have an unfair share of mongs

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:59 am

Asps wrote:
latviancheese wrote:

Unfortunately we do have an unfair share of mongs

Ive just realised "froggy" is actually more than one. Oh well. :lol:

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:54 am

I'm surprised by some of the "doom and gloom" comments on here. Have we really managed to go from "we are staying up" on Saturday to "we're definitely down" by Tuesday?

Perhaps we sometimes have to admit that we have been beaten by a better side and, far from every Walsall player having a shocker, acknowledge that the opposition did a job on us and nullified our threats.

That said, despite them being a better team, we have to also acknowledge that we hit the woodwork 3 times, their keeper pulled off 3 tremendous saves and we had a fair few shots ping just wide of goal. For anyone to compare that to a Hutchings performance where we hardly managed an attack let alone a shot, is laughable.

The BIG difference between the two sides, however, was the ability of the Orient midfielders to surge forward on telling runs and pick up the flicks and passes from the strikers. It's all very well for people to criticise Macken, but if just ONE of our 4 midfielders was able to burst through like that, Macken would be in his element.

The other big difference last night was at right back. For all the abuse that Lescott has received this season, he's been very, very steady in the last 4-5 games and a significant factor in the clean sheets. Last night, Westlake was made to look very poor and was at major fault for both of the goals. Before anyone jumps on that, I'm not saying he's a bad player all of a sudden, just one who had a poor game and his weakness in turning was exposed. If I'd been the manager, I actually would have taken him off and moved Taundry to right back.

The other worry in the team right now, in my opinion, is Richards. I've been a huge fan of his all season, but in the last 4-5 games, his form has dipped and he hasn't been making himself as available for the pass. I said after the Rochdale game that he seemed off the pace and wondered if he had an injury/illness..I'm still inclined to think this could be an issue.

As for the comments about the centre-halves, Orient tore us apart twice on the right and I don't remember them having that many other chances. It's over the top to say the defence played poorly. In fact, I thought Lancashire had a better game than Butler last night and I thought Williams was MOTM, both for his solidity in defence and his willingness to attack and ask for the ball.

The fact is we DO need a good result at Yeovil now and we probably need Oldham to be dragged into the situation via administration. We'll wait and see what happens....

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Leyton Orient (H) League 1 Tuesday 8/3/11.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:56 am

There is a sliding scale in football, with total solidity at one end, and pure creativity at the other. Whilst I appreciate the need to make us hard to beat (and, let's face it, we weren't under Hutchings), I think we've got the balance of the side wrong now.

I won't rate player-by-player, but Gray for me was the only creative spark we had.

It came as no surprise that both goals came from their left flank, where Westlake and Taundry were both poor. I'm not convinced Westlake is more solid than Lescott, and I think he offers less going forward. Taundry is just hopeless. If he won't adequately protect his full back, we may as well play Nicholls there, who at least has some pace. We looked no worse defensively when Taundry went off and Nicholls came on.

I felt that Smith's tactics showed a decent but beatable team too much respect. Once we'd been breached, we didn't really have a plan b to take the game to Orient. That said, their keeper made a couple of very decent saves.

We have to believe we can create and score goals because we can play football, not just clear our lines. Our passing was woeful, and getting the basics right must be a priority before Saturday.

A final note: less than 3000 home fans for a game of huge significance was pathetic. I will still expect grumbles upon our relegation (which I now fear is likely) from those who don't attend but could. Shame on them.

Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:09 am

Well said Shrops. We were not completely on it tonight and some players looked weary in thought and deed. That said, we had enough efforts to have got at least a draw out of the game and didn't give up. Pre-Smith Orient may have won by 4 or 5. Orient looked a really good team with lots of movement in midfield and off the front players. Butler was unusually uncertain tonight and must have been pleased when Revell went off early. We missed Lescott and Gbarssin is not as effective as Gill. May not be match fit but they were thinking and moving much more sharply than him and Richards. Don't get the abuse Macken gets on here, he fights for every ball and then has to wait for options for the pass. Contrast with the Orient, who had players popping up everywhere.

Must win game on Saturday but, if we do, it's back on.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:17 am

Thats a fair post KC.
However in order for us to play our game we need to address the fact we never looked to win our fair share of second balls and on the occasions we did it was either a punt up field to macken which didn't stick or once we crossed the half way line the ball seemed to come back to our back four, which invited pressure as Orient were all to often willing to chase the ball down.

Any momentum we had with regards to the league has stalled and a win on saturday is vital to any chance of staying up.

Also what a poor show from an attendance point of view.

Mal
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:13 am

A lot of reasoned comment however I would add if there was ever a game where goals change games last night was a perfect example

They bossed first 15 we had the next 20 and they finished the half strong

Stats wise we did ok, goals wise it was a perfect solid counter attacking performance

A couple of moans, Richards does my head in, I cannot stand the bloke hides, cheats and does his normal five minutes to go lets put some effort in, leaves so much space for others to cover and just plays for himself. To all those fans take off the rose tinted specs and just watch him closley, I deny anyone not to see what I do.

Deanno, has a crap pack of cards to play with but I am really not convinced by his tactics this last few games

Taundry was having his best game of a poor season and being two down we needed something radical. There #2 & 6 just won everything, I would have took Westlake off, gone three at the back and chucked Big Mac up front with 20 to go and told him just stand on 6 or 2 and be a nuisance. What we did was replace like for like and no change on the pattern of the game or pressure on there defence.

Saying all that goals win games and the O's were clinical whereby we could still be playing now and not score. Great chance with there keeper making some great saves and the flipping woodwork. Big ask now but win against Yeovil and the Monkey Hangers and D&R to implode and Plymouth to lose and and and and.....

Keep the faith UTS

AlexTheWalsallFan
Glitterati

Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:26 am

The crowd was appalling last night, hardly anyone there, would of thought a few more people would of turned up but that's Walsall fans for you.

Richards worked hard last night but was never MOTM I would have gave it to Williams that bloke kept running all night. Their first goal was should of been dealt with but there was nothing Wacka could of done about it.

All in all much better than the Hutchings era but we need to get a striker in on loan A.S.A.P

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:03 am

Under Hutchings we can't keep the goals out, now we can do that we have a problem sticking them in at the other end. Passion and fight galore but 2 goals in 7 means your only going one way. Westlake, Taundry, Richards, Williams (Yes, the same bloke that either hoofed it aimlessly from left back, or the one that for a period in the second half attempted 5 crosses in 5 minutes non of which beat the first man) and Lancashire we're poor. Butler wasn't his usual self but still did the defensive part immensely, just needs to work on his distribution. Walker and Gray were my calls for MOTM. For the first time I can ever remember our most willing looking player was Gray, that says it all about the rest of the team. Oh and Macken did okay, but needs support. 3 words to describe Ledesma so far 'Over-rated' and 'Lightweight'

Lose at Yeovil saturday and we are down.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:35 am

Amazing coincidence.....the players who are accused of "hoofing it" and "poor distribution" (eg Lancashire, Williams, to some extent Butler) are the same players who always offer themselves for the pass, look for options, find none and end up having to play the long ball.

The question a spectator should ask is why the likes of Williams, Lancashire and Butler are being asked to be the playmakers in the side. Did you see Orient? Every time a defender had the ball, midfielders were trying to move into space and offer an option. Even when the keeper had the ball, players would drop back and offer themselves for the pass. Richards was doing this for us, but isn't so much now, Gray occasionally does it but preferably only in the last 1/3rd of the pitch, Taundry and the Frenchman hardly did it all game.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:39 pm

I agree with some of the more recent posts in that much of the criticism is harsh. We played against a very good team last night and the result could have gone either way, had we converted our chances. We didn't, they did, that's football.

I thought that we played better than on Saturday. The difference was that on Saturday we were more concerned about not losing than winning. Last night, both teams were trying to win and we were undone by some excellent counter attacking football and a bit of sloppy defending.

We created more opportunities than in the previous 3 games combined, but came up against a quality goalkeeper and a decent defence.

I agree with the comment regarding Lescott. Having been a critic of him under Hutchings, there is no doubt that he has improved of late. Both goals came from their left.

Player comments

Gbarssin did well, I thought. He has been brought in to carry out a specific role in front of the back four, which he did.

Gray was my MOM

Richards was busy as usual and passed the ball well

Butler / Lancashire were solid for the most part and I particularly liked the way we played the ball from the back four along the ground for most of the game.

Macken had his teflon shirt on by the looks of it, but tried hard

Byfield looked sharp, but after such a long time out, someone needs to remind him that handling the ball is not allowed :roll:

Williams' distribution was poor, but he perfprmed his defensive duties well

Taundry demonstrated once again that he lacks the quality to be a L1 player, ditto for Nicholls.

Ledesma - a luxury who currently, is flattering to deceive.

Hopefully we will have a good go at Yeovil on Saturday, after losing last night. If we are to go down, at least let's go down fighting.

The attendance last night; :oops: :oops: :oops: Although on a positive note, I can now put a couple more UTS faces to names (Tinned and Ned Kelly) :D

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:07 pm

Wasn't there last night but I would like to see Ledesma on the right and Byfield up front on Saturday.

One of the reasons Marshall has been ineffective is he has been shoved in the team with Richards and both players try to do the same job. Richards, as the better player, does all the work leaving Marshall as a spare part. I wonder if this is happening now with Gbarssin and Richards - Gbarssin is doing all the stuff that Richards would like to do. In which case Richards needs to be pushed further forward to be playing his football in the opposition half.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season