Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leyton Orient (H) League 1 Tuesday 8/3/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
tinned
Site Addict

Re: Leyton Orient (H) League 1 Tuesday 8/3/11.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:27 pm

chestersaddler wrote:Although on a positive note, I can now put a couple more UTS faces to names (Tinned and Ned Kelly) :D

I'd imagine that would be classed as a fair reason for becoming a stayaway :shock: :wink:

I'm concerned. Although I don't subscribe to the more ultra critical posts about this game, I do think there are worrying signs beginning to become apparent. When Smith took over we played a higher tempo, passing game that cause oppo teams some problems. Since we got out of the relegation zone we appear to have become too frightened to attempt anything of attacking worth. While keeping clean sheets was an important habit to get back into, we still need to be creating enough chances to put away at the other end.

One of my gripes is that we hardly ever see a Walsall player running any great distance with the ball. they all seem to take two or three strides and get rid of the ball as quick as possible. I'd love to see the wide men (or even the fullbacks) bombing at their fullbacks and whipping in a cross. It's gotta be much better than these pointless diagonal balls lumped in the vague direction of the box as we saw (mainly from Williams) last night that hardly ever beat the first man.

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:44 pm

i feel since taundry as gone wide right we are too negative .richards looks like he needs a rest hes been poor for the last 4games so its nothing to do with froggy.
lescot out up to 6weeks thats a big concern because westlake doesnt look up to the chalenge.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:55 pm

It's funny how people see games differently. Having just read this thread for the first time, I've seen everything from 'we're relegation certainties' to 'we played better than we did at Swindon'.

I actually thought Orient looked a very good side. Funnily enough, their weakness to me appeared to be up front, where they didn't really trouble us but for two really easy goals.

What disappointed me most was the lack of real urgency and drive from any of our players. I'd agree with KC in that Gray was probably the only player who played well. The rest just huffed & puffed. The ever-reliable Macken was again solid, but was forced to feed from the scraps we flicked his way now and again.

It was the first time I'd seen Ledesma and Gbarssin & both disappointed. I thought Gbarssin had been signed as a defensive midfielder to cover the back four, but he just didn't play in that role. In fact, I thought that positionally, he tried to play in Richards' position which just didn't work.
Ledesma just kept his head down too much and ran down blind alleys. He didn't struggle with the pace of the game at all, but just looked like too much of a flash in the pan to make any significant imapct. He reminded me of Carlos Fangueiro, actually.

If we go down though, the main reason will be a continued reliance on players who just aren't good enough. Westlake and Taundry were the main culprits last night, but we can add Nicholls and Smith to the list of players who have been left in the team for far too long at various points throughout the season.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:00 pm

morethanuknow wrote:lescot out up to 6weeks thats a big concern because westlake doesnt look up to the chalenge.

I can't understand what happened to Taundry as a right back.

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:02 pm

wfc rob
your take on the game is spot on.imo

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:22 pm

WFC Rob and chestersaddler - I have to agree with your viewpoints (I've got to agree with chester because I was sitting next to him!!)

In a way it was just like the Southampton game a week earlier in that we were largely outplayed by a better footballing side. I use the word "footballing" in the sense that someone has already pointed out - their players were always moving into space to receive the ball, with the result that 95% of their passes went straight to an unchallenged team-mate. For much of the game we were chasing shadows.

Towards the end of the first half I actually asked chestersaddler whether Macken was playing .......... and in the second half his lack of fitness showed in his total inability to run after anything resembling a lost cause.

However, we DID hit their woodwork three times, and their goalkeeper DID play an absolute blinder. I can recall three or four occasions where we've had thundering shots, on target, destined to break the netting rather than just make contact, and somehow he's got his fists or other parts of his anatomy in the way. We really were so close to scoring a few :roll:

In summary, Orient seemed more "up for it" than we were - whether beating Southampton resulted in a dash of complacency I don't know, but this result may be the kick up the derriere that was possibly needed. We are back in the relegation zone and others have games in hand on us. Time to start winning again, starting on Saturday..... UTS :mrgreen:

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:49 pm

moanin old git wrote:Yeah come on 'Pinnacle' just reassure us again, about how well we are doing?
There are those of us about that have been through this horror for many many years, and lady luck VERY rarely smiles on 'little old Worsul' if it can go wrong it will...and does! :(

I couldn't help but notice that you posted on here moaning about the game at 9.10 pm, excuse me if i am mistaken but wasn't you at the game ? How very odd :lol:
You are quite lucky to get a response from me actually because people who use words like sooo and awesome (in my humble opinion) are either brain dead or just very immature !
Never mind, you can always go to the next game.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:12 pm

PINNACLE wrote:
moanin old git wrote:Yeah come on 'Pinnacle' just reassure us again, about how well we are doing?
There are those of us about that have been through this horror for many many years, and lady luck VERY rarely smiles on 'little old Worsul' if it can go wrong it will...and does! :(

I couldn't help but notice that you posted on here moaning about the game at 9.10 pm, excuse me if i am mistaken but wasn't you at the game ? How very odd :lol:
You are quite lucky to get a response from me actually because people who use words like sooo and awesome (in my humble opinion) are either brain dead or just very immature !

bore off

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:23 pm

The save the Orient keeper made in the first half was class,i think he pushed it onto the post, in which we hit the post again and then missed a 3rd attempt. Different game if that had gone in.

He also made the jammiest save ever off the Taundry free kick, but thats the sign of a good keeper in my opinion.

I would also rather play Lescott than Westlake at the moment, although i rate Westlake he hasn't been on form the last few games ive seen and Lescott is at least comfortable on the ball. Taundry is just laughable.

Still annoyed we were poor last night, but keep the faith. UTS

gray
Glitterati

Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:01 pm

I was dissapointed with the turn out too but I half expected it with the big Champions League game being on tv. Well done to the people who came and tried to get an atmosphere going. We didn't play too badly, its just a shame that we didn't properly get going until we were losing.

If this had been a game earlier in the season I would have been a lot more positive about it but at the moment we just need the points.

I think Lancashire had his poorest game for us to be honest. He just gave the ball away far too much. Westlake also didn't have the greatest game. Richards has continued his recent run of form and was anonymous a lot of the time, especially in the first half. I really hope he gets back to his best soon.

One positive for me was Byfield's performance when he came on. He looks to be getting back to match fitness and looked lively. Hopefully he can have an impact before the end of the season.

I'd like to see if Deano could sort out a line-up where Macken and Byfield can start up front together with Ladesma playing just behind them or drifting onto the right to replace Taundry.

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:43 pm

brummie saddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:

bore off

Well done, you managed to spell two words correctly. Heres another one just for you...Moron :lol:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:54 pm

PINNACLE wrote:

To be fair to MOG, he does live in Dewsbury, Yorkshire. There are enough who live in Walsall, that couldn't be bothered to go, if you want to have a poke.

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:01 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:

To be fair to MOG, he does live in Dewsbury, Yorkshire. There are enough who live in Walsall, that couldn't be bothered to go, if you want to have a poke.

Thats fair enough, i didn't know that and apologise wholeheartedly...............but he started it :oops:

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:23 pm

PINNACLE wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:

Thats fair enough, i didn't know that and apologise wholeheartedly...............but he started it :oops:

And what was you saying about maturity......

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:16 pm

brummie saddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:

Its called tongue in cheek you idiot. God help us, where do we get them from :shock:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Re: Leyton Orient (H) League 1 Tuesday 8/3/11.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:44 am

PINNACLE wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:

You don't know a lot really. You only come on here when your Mrs is nobbing Winston in the flat upstairs and you've run out of cans of Kestrel. Then accuse everyone of being negative against WFC...even the people that are staunchly positive.

You're probably the least informed person on this board, and that's saying something.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:13 am

PINNACLE wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:I couldn't help but notice that you posted on here moaning about the game at 9.10 pm, excuse me if i am mistaken but wasn't you at the game ? How very odd :lol:

Its called tongue in cheek you idiot. God help us, where do we get them from :shock:

well i guess its better then your normal trick of..... bottle to lips, fingers to keyboard.

keep up the good work

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Re: Leyton Orient (H) League 1 Tuesday 8/3/11.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:33 am

PINNACLE wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:[quote="moanin old git"]Yeah come on 'Pinnacle' just reassure us again, about how well we are doing?

Its called tongue in cheek you idiot. God help us, where do we get them from :shock:[/quote]

Willenhall?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:14 pm

He ay an original son of Willenhall.

It's the closest I've seen to being on the receiving end of a Richard Money team.

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:01 pm

In answer to Brummie Saddlers post
That (if it were true, which its not) brings to mind a famous and often used quote by one of our greatest statesmen ever...Sir Winston Churchill. Excuse the poetic licence because i dont know if you are ugly or not....but...
Tomorrow i will be sober but you my dear friend will still be stupid, everyone on UTS knows that.
I even threw in a reference to Winston for your mate MMF. As for not being an original son of Willenhall, well thank god for that. Never in my whole life have i knew a place where there is so much inbreeding. Lets face it if you dont like cake or charity shops there is sod all else to do, thank god i have now moved and am closer to my spiritual homeland that is Beechdale, you know the place that is full of WFC fans.
Hope that has cleared a few things up for the know all element on here (yes you know who you are) who know nothing, have seen nothing and will carry on all of their lives being nothing.
UTS

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Leyton Orient (H) League 1 Tuesday 8/3/11.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:58 pm

How can know-alls know who they are AND know nothing? ;)

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:25 am

PINNACLE wrote:In answer to Brummie Saddlers post
That (if it were true, which its not) brings to mind a famous and often used quote by one of our greatest statesmen ever...Sir Winston Churchill. Excuse the poetic licence because i dont know if you are ugly or not....but...
Tomorrow i will be sober but you my dear friend will still be stupid, everyone on UTS knows that.
I even threw in a reference to Winston for your mate MMF. As for not being an original son of Willenhall, well thank god for that. Never in my whole life have i knew a place where there is so much inbreeding. Lets face it if you dont like cake or charity shops there is sod all else to do, thank god i have now moved and am closer to my spiritual homeland that is Beechdale, you know the place that is full of WFC fans.
Hope that has cleared a few things up for the know all element on here (yes you know who you are) who know nothing, have seen nothing and will carry on all of their lives being nothing.
UTS

Oddly, every person I know from Beechdale and Leamore are all glory hunters.

Are you saying you moved to Beechdale to avoid the inbreds? Whoops.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:25 pm

Beechdale is full of mongs.

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season