Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (A) League 1 Saturday 5/3/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Re: Swindon Town (A) League 1 Saturday 5/3/11.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:10 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:... as fickle as Wolves' fans.

... or Villa fans. Have you heard them moaning about Houllier? "He's gorra goo, Franksy!"

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:11 pm

4 points from those two games. Get in. What a result.

The defeatist comments on here will no doubt be calling themselves "realists". But really, how depressing must it be to live your life to think everything will go against you.

We are staying up. UTS

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:37 pm

Just got back. Great battling performance from the lads. I was impressed with both Gbarssin & Ledesma who gave exactly what you hoped from them. Gbrassin was a solid midfield ball winner with good distribution and Ledesma always offered himself as an outlet was able to take on men.

Plenty of Saddlers there, in good voice. Swindon hit the bar late on (did Jimmy get a finger tip on it), but we deserved a point. Plenty of upset Swindon fans calling in to BBC Wiltshire after the game - one of them called us cheats!!! For time wasting.....the cheek! :lol:

pco_walsall
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:52 pm

To be fair it was a typical relegation clash, very cagey not many clear cut chances and some very nervy players.

I thought we started poorly, but got better as Smith matched Swindon's formation something which wouldn't of happened under Hutchings.

Walker: Solid as usual, handling and kicking solid and one magnificent save at the death, makes a world of difference having him than Brain or Bevan
Lescott: Frustrating, and is very hot and cold however he does seem to be getting better
Butler: Brilliant again, proper centre half my MOM and wears his heart on his sleeve.
Lancashire: Improving game by game, still looks prone to mistakes however.
Williams: Very steady, it makes a world of difference to have a proper left footed left back.
Gray: Glimpses of skill in the first half however lost his head in the second half and was probably lucky not to get sent off.
Taundry: Solid game, lots of effort has he got the quality though?
Richards: Not really sure what has happened to him in the last couple of weeks, really had a bad game today.
Gbrassin: Very impressive, Mattis like breaks up the play and keeps it simple what we've been crying out for a long time.
Ledesma: Brilliant on the ball, tore the full back to shreds in the second half and as soon as he get's back up to match fitness, he's going to be a real asset.
Macken: Not his best game, linked up OK, but did look a bit isolated at times up front on his own.

Subs: Nicholls: Ineffectual really, didn't really look interested
Byfield: Still isn't up to match fitness or sharpness and gave the ball away a couple of times
Westlake: Not really much time to have any impact.

All in all a decent point, and another clean sheet so onwards and upwards starting on Tuesday!!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:58 pm

Just got in

Agree with above - a dogged performance.

The new bloke in midfield provided what we have been missing all season and defensively we seemed in control for most of the time. Most of their chances came from our mistakes rather than their own invention.

One worry for me is the lack of chances we are creating. Their 'keeper did not have a save to make all afternoon. In the last three games we have created virtually nothing. Still, a good point away from home which I would have setled for before the game. Roll on Tuesday

Great turnout today. Plenty of support and encouragement.

How many of you posters were in the Merlin before the game?

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:00 pm

pco_walsall wrote:To be fair it was a typical relegation clash, very cagey not many clear cut chances and some very nervy players.

I thought we started poorly, but got better as Smith matched Swindon's formation something which wouldn't of happened under Hutchings.

Walker: Solid as usual, handling and kicking solid and one magnificent save at the death, makes a world of difference having him than Brain or Bevan
Lescott: Frustrating, and is very hot and cold however he does seem to be getting better
Butler: Brilliant again, proper centre half my MOM and wears his heart on his sleeve.
Lancashire: Improving game by game, still looks prone to mistakes however.
Williams: Very steady, it makes a world of difference to have a proper left footed left back.
Gray: Glimpses of skill in the first half however lost his head in the second half and was probably lucky not to get sent off.
Taundry: Solid game, lots of effort has he got the quality though?
Richards: Not really sure what has happened to him in the last couple of weeks, really had a bad game today.
Gbrassin: Very impressive, Mattis like breaks up the play and keeps it simple what we've been crying out for a long time.
Ledesma: Brilliant on the ball, tore the full back to shreds in the second half and as soon as he get's back up to match fitness, he's going to be a real asset.
Macken: Not his best game, linked up OK, but did look a bit isolated at times up front on his own.

Subs: Nicholls: Ineffectual really, didn't really look interested
Byfield: Still isn't up to match fitness or sharpness and gave the ball away a couple of times
Westlake: Not really much time to have any impact.

All in all a decent point, and another clean sheet so onwards and upwards starting on Tuesday!!

Agree with most of that - apart from Ledesma... I thought he was poor today.

Poor first half, slightly better second half. Draw was probably about right, another clean sheet. But couldn't see where a goal was coming from today. We were quite negative at times, but away from home I suppose that is more expected.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:05 pm

I agree with you about Ledesma, Steve. Generally, he used the ball well, but was not in the game enough for me.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:07 pm

chestersaddler wrote:I agree with you about Ledesma, Steve. Generally, he used the ball well, but was not in the game enough for me.

Indeed... did nothing wrong, but between him and Macken, they were way too deep. On Tuesday against Soton, he was in more of a strikers role at times. Still... I will take a point from today, especially with new manager syndrome for Swindon and all that.

saddlerboz

Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:33 pm

You go away for a few weeks, forget your password, change your user name to log on again...and nothing changes. WE WERE BOTTOM DEAD AND BURIED 2 MONTHS AGO. We are now out of the relegation zone having just turned over Southampton and drawn away at the team closest to us in the dog fight. What is up with people on here? It's incredible. It really is. That was a really good result today!

AND - will people stop fannying about worrying about other results. If we get 52 points WE STAY UP. 51 should do it, 50 may be OK. It DOES NOT MATTER what other clubs do, we need 5 wins and a 2 draws from 11 games...if we do that we are safe. Simples.

Destiny is in our hands. And right now, we are in play off form. so just chill, there are 11 games left. So let's just ry to leave the knee jerk reactions from each game? Sigh.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:22 pm

saddlerboz wrote:You go away for a few weeks, forget your password, change your user name to log on again...and nothing changes. WE WERE BOTTOM DEAD AND BURIED 2 MONTHS AGO. We are now out of the relegation zone having just turned over Southampton and drawn away at the team closest to us in the dog fight. What is up with people on here? It's incredible. It really is. That was a really good result today!

AND - will people stop fannying about worrying about other results. If we get 52 points WE STAY UP. 51 should do it, 50 may be OK. It DOES NOT MATTER what other clubs do, we need 5 wins and a 2 draws from 11 games...if we do that we are safe. Simples.

Destiny is in our hands. And right now, we are in play off form. so just chill, there are 11 games left. So let's just ry to leave the knee jerk reactions from each game? Sigh.

Absolutely agree with what you reckon we need to avoid relegation. Like you, I was happy with a point today. Swindon must have been gutted not to beat one of their chief rivals at home. Shame the D&R beat brizzle, but both those teams are shite - if they finish above us, we deserve to go down. Doesn't sound like we were great, but they gutted out a draw.

As to panic about whats to come, you've got to put it into the context of Bonser, the excuse for football that's been inflicted on us for most of the past 3 seasons and the incredible decision of our sainted owner not to sack the "best managerial team" in his time at WFC until we were nearly relegated.

It'll take time, and hopefully a departure to the med. to cure all of our ills. In the meantime, I feel like I've nearly got my football team back. Even if we go down (which I unfortunately think we're still 50/50 to do), it feels like there is hope. Be gentle with the negative, they've got good cause.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:33 pm

It's pretty much been summed up in other people's posts, but we were solid defensively but going forward we created little, which is worrying.

I was impressed with Gbarrsin (sp?). Thought he played very well, good defensive midfielder with the ability to pick out a pass.

Gray was lucky not to get sent off, after being booked for mouthing off at the linesman, he comitted a couple of silly fouls. Deano did the right thing to take him off.

Ledesma did well, although he wasn't realy in the game which was abit frustrating.

My only annoyance about today is that we looked as if we had set up for a point. Although, it's a good point away from home, I feel it could be a missed opportunity come the end of the season.

Great to see near enough 600 Saddlers out in full voice though.

In Deano we believe! UTS!

JackoSaddler

Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:06 pm

Obvious that we played for a point today, and i think they could have been there for the taking if we had attacked with a bit more urgency.
However, we could have lost it in the 94th minute, but i think a draw was a fair result.

Special mention to our new signing, Gbarrsin, played very well. As other have said, this is exactly the type of player we need. Defensively solid, but doesn't look much going forward.

I think this may have been 2 points lost due to Smiths tactics, but i am not complaining with the point, especially with another clean sheet. Congratulations to Smith for doing something which seemed impossible for Hutchins to do.

Gray frustrates me, he looked a threat whenever he made a run and skinned their full back every time he went forward. Lucky not to get sent off, and Smith did the right thing in taking him off, but if it wasnt for him loosing his temper, we could have looked much more of a threat going forward towards the end.

A decent point, and decent defensive performance. Roll on Tuesday. UTS

Chapin

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:02 pm

Today reminded me of the time Chris Nicholl took us to Bury needing a point for promotion. That too finished 0-0. Certainly feel he has had an influence on the way we are defending.

All the back 4 had a good game today although Williams distibution 1st half was a bit wayward. However he and Gray are forming a useful understanding, not up to the Pedro Zigor standard but they do work as a pair and Gray did his share of defending today. The new guy could be the missing link. Did the ugly stuff well. 1st half didn't know who to pass to but by the 2nd half had sussed who not to pass it to. Gets up well for headers too. Taundry tried hard but did nothing. Richards I thought didn't do that badly. He needs people to be available for a pass or moving into space. Didn't happen today but I don't think the continual altering of the team's shape helped in that respect.
Macken seemed strangely disinterested 1st half but had a much better 2nd half particularly after Byfield came on. Ledesma showed a few nice touches and worked hard up front until tactically switched to wide when he didn't get in the game.
Gray probably cost us a win. Good 1st half until he lost it and as other folk have said could easily have been sent off. Good move by Dean to take him off before that happened unlike our erstwhile manager on a couple of occasions last year. Gray going off meant Nicholls came on. Like Taundry he did nothing but unlike Taundry he doesn't seem to be trying. Good outing for Byfield who did a bit of tracking back as well.
Wacka had an easier match than midweek but if he did get his fingers to the one that hit the bar in the 94th minute it was better than anything he did against Southampton.

With Macken and Byfield up front and Gray and Ledesma wide Richards and Gbrassin in centre mid we will do the Great Escape.

Cracking following today 500+. (think they said 534 over the tannoy)

bangsection
Site Addict

Swindon Town (A) League 1 Saturday 5/3/11.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:16 pm

boringteacher wrote:Shame the D&R beat brizzle, but both those teams are guano - if they finish above us, we deserve to go down.

Not true. The Gas look dead and buried but despite being poor against us the other week D&R are only one place below us in the current 8-game form table (we're tenth). As I said above, teams like Yeovil, Exeter, Tranmere, Sheff Wendy et al will all flirt with the bottom four, while Oldham have every chance of imploding before the season ends.

Keeping a close eye on the teams around you is as much a part of the fun in a relegation battle as it is in a title run in. Or do you think Man Yoo fans aren't all gleefully deconstructing Arsenal's result on their forums at the moment?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:16 am

PINNACLE wrote:After reading all of the above posts (with one or two exceptions) what a joy it is to be a member of the fantastic forum that UTS really is. Thank god that i am a Walsall fan thru and thru and can see these posters for what they really are :(
UTS, Thats my football club but obviously not some of yours. We are not in control of matches that we are not involved in but all i see is Yeovil this, Brizzle and Daggers that. F*** em, we got a point away from home (we would have welcomed that a few short weeks ago) and still some on here are not satisfied.

Jokers :oops:

Got to agree that it was a good point today. Swindon were at home, needed the points at least as much as us, were boosted/motivated by having a new experienced manager to impress, and all this combined to make this a difficult game for us. We kept them 3 points behind us, and for me that's a bonus in the circumstances.

McSaddler

Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:30 am

Walker saved us at the death. We were a long way away but I was sure he'd got a hand to it as the replay proved , spectacular reflexes and helped by the bar.

There's a decent feature on the Football League show about an hour in, mainly Hart/Swindon oriented but a bit Deano time too.

For what it's worth my first impressions on most of the players on show. 4-5-1 in the first half, 4-4-2 once Byfield came on.

Walker: Bit bigger than I remember but gives confidence to the back line and still got the reflexes, super save at the end.
Lescott: did the job although not a swindon favourite after what was seen as some time wasting
Wilkinson: linked well with Gray, solid and reasonable distribution
Butler: marshalled the back line very well, good in the air,
Lancashire: decent partnership with Butler
Taundry: all over the pitch not sure about overall quality but can't fault effort
Gbrassin: clearly the new signing so didn't always know where to pass, seemed to cover a lot of ground effortlessly not always best in the tackle, decent headers from the middle of the park and good distribution overall. Once he has more time on the training field should be an asset based on that performance
Richards: playmaker had our best chance when Byfield and Macken linked well but lacked a yard of pace a fair few misplaced passes but worked hard.
Gray: Lost his rag after a poor call by the assistant ref at the end of the first half and didn't calm down after the break correct decision to take him off but a shame as he showed signs of quality and is a potential match winner
Ledesma: Got some quality but not sure he's a winger seemed to look down at his feet when had the ball
Macken: Had a tough time up on his own but held the ball up well and linked up well with Byfield when he came on

Subs: Nicholls for Gray seemed to duck out of a few tackles
Byfield for Ledesma linked well with Macken a fit again Byfield is going to be crucial for the run in
Westlake for Lescott came on for a couple of mins at the end so

Not a great game overall and you can see why both sides are down the bottom, we didn't create much but we at least seem to be fighting for it. Overall a decent point especially when considering Swindon have a new manager

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:04 am

Good point to be honest like the others have said walsall were solid at the back but going forward we offered very little. Ledesma was dissapointing but would of preferred to see him stay on for the whole game. Oh well onwards and upwards .

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Re: Swindon Town (A) League 1 Saturday 5/3/11.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:38 am

McSaddler wrote:Ledesma: Got some quality but not sure he's a winger seemed to look down at his feet when had the ball

A couple of weeks of training with Nicholls has had an effect. :D

Hard earned point yesterday. The kind that is needed to survive. I've said it a few times recently but wecd have easily lost that under Hutchings.

Was impressed with the new bloke, just what we've needed all season.

Ledesma wasn't great but we already know he'll be one of those players that is hit and cold. The inspirational match winning performance will come in home games starting on Saturday.

windowman
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:41 am

think wwere away sat :wink:

gray
Glitterati

Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:15 pm

I was a bit dissapointed by Ledesma's contribution. Maybe I was hoping for a bit too much from him, hopefully we'll get him into games a bit more in the next few weeks. I think he was just getting on the ball more before he got taken off. I'd have preferred it if he's stayed on.

I feel that Swindon are a pretty poor team. Considering they were at home with a big attendance against a team they need to beat, I really thought they weren't up to much. I think if we'd played to our full potential we should have won. Still not a bad point, bring on Tuesday.

Our fans turned out in good numbers and made a lot of noise. Well done to everyone who made the journey.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:28 pm

chestersaddler wrote:Just got in

Agree with above - a dogged performance.

The new bloke in midfield provided what we have been missing all season and defensively we seemed in control for most of the time. Most of their chances came from our mistakes rather than their own invention.

One worry for me is the lack of chances we are creating. Their 'keeper did not have a save to make all afternoon. In the last three games we have created virtually nothing. Still, a good point away from home which I would have setled for before the game. Roll on Tuesday

Great turnout today. Plenty of support and encouragement.

How many of you posters were in the Merlin before the game?

:mrgreen:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:42 pm

You were there, weren't you? :)

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:47 pm

chestersaddler wrote:You were there, weren't you? :)

i was indeed, swaying from side to side by the pool table trying to get songs started :)

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:59 pm

brummie saddler wrote:

i was indeed, swaying from side to side by the pool table trying to get songs started :)

Did you have a red shirt on with "I love Bonser" on it :wink:

If so, I spoke to you when I came in. You were sitting on the leather sofa. I was with my son (long blond hair) and SWS1

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:07 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:

If so, I spoke to you when I came in. You were sitting on the leather sofa. I was with my son (long blond hair) and SWS1

:lol:
yes sir, that was me

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:32 pm

brummie saddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:

yes sir, that was me

I'm guessing you're Josh then?

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:27 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:

yes sir, that was me

I'm guessing you're Josh then?

Unfortunatly :)

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:39 pm

Our fans at Swindon

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:48 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:

Ah.. I also know who you are now. Charming T Shirt!

Lone Striker

Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:00 pm

Not a classic game but an away point against a team below us in the league with the boost of a newly appointed manager and larger than average home attendance should be seen as a positive and keeps the momentum going. The back five all played well, Walker making a couple of great saves including one in the last minute and generally giving the defenders much more confidence. Butler and Lancashire continue to impress and seem to be gaining a good understanding when defending, also good to see both of them happy to receive the ball and play from the back, something that was non existent earlier in the season.

Credit to Dean Smith for changing the system early in the game, they outnumbered us in midfield and were dominating play in this area so putting Taundry in a more central role and Ledesma wide restricted their possesion, downside was that it meant Ledesma having less of an impact on the game but as the away side it was the correct decision and helped keep the clean sheet. Gbarssin had a solid debut and got better as the game went on, in the main he kept things simple won his share of tackles and headers and could do a job in coming weeks.

Not really our day up front with chances very limited, partly due to the change of system moving Ledesma wider and also losing Gray who again looked our biggest threat on the day.

Our next few games are vital, we look much more solid at the back and scoring against us is much more difficult, a few more goals and we could be okay.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season