Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southampton (H) League 1 Tuesday 1/3/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
gray
Glitterati

Re: Southampton (H) League 1 Tuesday 1/3/11.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:55 pm

I've got to agree, I don't think Taundry was great. I love his passion and effort but he gives the ball away so much. I think Marshall is much worse though. But anyway lets focus on the positives!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:56 pm

Taundry is still rough in parts but his passion and commitment are there for all to see.
A night for heroes and Richard played his part!

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:56 pm

morethanuknow wrote:for me tonight is how you stay up or win leagues,your forward nicks it for you when your up against it and you dont conceed .i think its a first this season that weve nicked it when under so much pressure and not let the oppistion score .great win

Completely agree. Saints fans will be gutted they went home with nothing. Well done the Super Saddlers (pride of the Midlands).

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:57 pm

Scottie_H wrote:
saddlerken wrote:
Deano_Saddler wrote:This was a game were you could not fault 1 single player for anything.

Richard Taundry, he was at fault for being rubbish

You are wrong

Taundry worked his backside off all game and made many important challenges, plus distributed quite well

And I don't usually rate him

You, saddlerken, are either a troll or have poor judgement

That is exactly what i was going to say. Taundry like everyone else worked and worked and worked, i cannot see how you can say that he was rubbish. I think he deserves alot of credit tonight, he did not give any Southampton player that came by him breath tonight and i don't care if you think he doesn't have any quality or whatever because at the end of the day he gave his all tonight and he was more than good enough.

Percie
Glitterati

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:59 pm

Scottie_H wrote:
saddlerken wrote:
Deano_Saddler wrote:This was a game were you could not fault 1 single player for anything.

You are wrong

Taundry worked his backside off all game and made many important challenges, plus distributed quite well

Taundry is not a footballer.

If you slap a Walsall shirt on me and put me in the middle of that pitch I'd play exactly the same as him. Loads of passion, no talent.

I'm afraid Taundry is well out of his depth in this league.

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:01 am

we beat southampton tonight and no one give us a chance ,i think its difficult to call any player tonight after that performance

Scottie_H
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:04 am

Percie wrote:
Scottie_H wrote:
saddlerken wrote:

You are wrong

If you slap a Walsall shirt on me and put me in the middle of that pitch I'd play exactly the same as him. Loads of passion, no talent.

Honestly Percie - I don't see you running in 90 minutes a tenth of what RT ran tonight ... and also actually making challenges and passing the ball.

Just sayin'

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:06 am

Percie wrote:
Scottie_H wrote:
saddlerken wrote:

You are wrong

I'm sure you would be able to find a red shirt a few more times too

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:06 am

Taundry, Marshall and Richards were very poor tonight, but the rest of the team were fautless.

I am better than Richard Taundry on the ball - he has the same talent as Ian Roper with the ball.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:07 am

saddlerken wrote:

Deano_Saddler will brook no criticism of Taundry. These Aldridge School lads stick together, you know! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:11 am

A thought crossed my mind, tonight (yes, I know - that's a very narrow journey!) - had this match been played on its original date, Hutchings would have been manager and Brain would have been in goal. :o :(

Any suggestions as to what the score would have been?

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:11 am

the midfield couldnt be faulted tonight they worked there socks off and didnt have lot of the ball as we were under the kosh a lot of that game . they were chasing and closing down all night and we won

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:13 am

Pedagogue wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:I think you're going senile, Mr Pedagogue - Ledesma was superb tonight. What impressed me most was that he didn't go very much (only twice I recall) and looked strong on the ball - which is precisely the opposite to the stereotype!

There you go again - back to your old trick of using hyperbole. Ledesma was not "superb". I shudder to think what adjectives you will dream up when he really does play well! He had a reasonable game, nothing more, nothing less - but of course, with your neurotic obsession with Latin players, we can't really expect anything better from you, can we? :lol:

He was not "strong on the ball" as he was dispossessed several times. He was also very lucky to avoid a caution for his constant moaning at the referee and assistant referees. He "went down", in an exaggerated fashion, three times which were totally unnecessary. That said, he was nowhere near as bad as our opponents, who were far from saintly. They were going to ground, writhing in agony, so frequently, that I kept looking round to see if I could spot the sniper in the stand (but Cashley Cole wasn't there).

Wrong. He chased the ball all night, got stuck in (for an Argentinian and held the ball up well). - A very good debut (hence the standing ovation).

Latin players = good football. ;)

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:17 am

Pedagogue wrote:
saddlerken wrote:

Deano_Saddler will brook no criticism of Taundry. These Aldridge School lads stick together, you know! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I could be very critical of Taundrys performances this season but i cannot fault him for everything on tonights performance, we won tonights game on hard work, passion and abit of luck. Taundry worked very very hard and showed as much passion as anyone in an Walsall shirt tonight, that's enough for me.

Now if you asking me whether or not i think Taundry is good enough for league one then i would say yeah he is. I still think that signing a new midfielder in Ledesma was a good move but i think Taundry is a good player to have in the team definitely.

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:21 am

Im sure everyone would agree that Taundry tries his hardest. its just that his hardest is not good enough, i dont know if hes just thick but he seems to make the wrong decision virtually every time whether its picking the wrong pass or turning the wrong way. but as we won today why dont we let him off and hope DS signs another centre mid by saturday!

Tonight was great though!

on ledesma id say that while he does roll around on the floor when kicked (or not), he has a good touch and for his size he knows where to position himself to keep the ball against much stronger players which is a sign of a good player. (a reason i think grigg is also going to be very good given time) he may have lost the ball a couple of times but he was usually isolated surrounded by 3 or 4 saints players and in general he kept possession well and looked dangerous and also worked relitively hard compared to the stereotype!

Walker, Butler and Macken were immense! (Lancashire also deserves a mention as he is forming a decent partnership with Butler)

Scottie_H
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:21 am

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Taundry, Marshall and Richards were very poor tonight, but the rest of the team were fautless.

I am better than Richard Taundry on the ball - he has the same talent as Ian Roper with the ball.

Difference is - he was out there, on the ball

You were in the stands, watching

Just sayin' :wink:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:27 am

Scottie_H wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Taundry, Marshall and Richards were very poor tonight, but the rest of the team were fautless.

I play in the huge North Wales league Dr ;)
:mrgreen:

Scottie_H
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:30 am

Happy Times!

A great 3 points tonight and a great turn-around from two months back for Walsall FC ... yet some posters still want to find fault

We are staying up - that is OK by me!

Scottie_H
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:31 am

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:
Scottie_H wrote:

Video on YouTube or it never happened :wink:

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:37 am

Scottie_H wrote:
Scottie_H wrote:

He was good once, but not a patch on Brummie Saddler!!

Scottie_H
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:40 am

Asps wrote:
Scottie_H wrote:
Scottie_H wrote:

He was good once, but not a patch on Brummie Saddler!!

He never put one past TopKeeper!

larryhaggler

Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:19 am

Whats all the grief about RT ?
For the last two games Mr Richards was very poor (not aloud to state this unless I'm Phil)

I think Deano made a mistake starting Marshall tonight, we actully needed a headless chicken in the middle - RT !

Fantastic win ! Butler MOM - The new Graheme Forbes ! If we stay up it would thanks to him.

We are out the bottom 4 !

Shame we had h(w)ank face H for so long.

Tonight we got our pride back

Up the Feckin Saddlers :mrgreen:

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:10 am

Superb win couldnt belive it when i checked the score. Just bring it swindon just bring it.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:41 am

Reaction:

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... -reaction/

I have to disagree with several posts here. I think all four at the back had very good games, considering the pressure they were under. Butler (especially) was immense. The midfield did all they could against opposition of that quality (helped by Schneiderlin injuring himself early on). Macken was immense. Ledesma? I can only be shocked by some comments. I thought he looked quick, intelligent, tricky and strong. He also took an absolute battering from a somewhat thuggish defence (can anyone explain how Hammond escaped a booking for a somewhat nasty and very cynical foul on him in the first half, as he ran past?).

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:03 am

Agree with your comments Neil.

I thought it was a terrific battling display. Yes, of course we rode our luck. We were playing, on paper, the best team in this division. But we still created some chances, we still played some neat football at times and, in Macken and Ledesma, we have two players capable of turning a match with a moment of genius.

As for the comments about Taundry, I despair of Walsall “fans” at times. Yes he is slow of thought and action at times, but Smith put him on the right to do a specific job last night and he had as much influence on the win as anybody. The job he had? To properly defend the right side and support Lescott in nullifying the threat from Lallana (sp?), who has recently been described as “the best player in this division”.

I’m going to be unpopular as well by saying that Lescott, back in his correct position on the right, has had two very good games in succession. He has half a football brain (more than most of our players!) and some speed. That was a very good player he kept quiet last night. And when did they finally start to pose a threat down our right? When Marhsall went off and Nicholls came on.

Otherwise;
Walker – superb. A couple of miraculous saves and inspires confidence

Lescott – see above

Williams – a class act in defence. Twice he saw the danger before anyone else and came around the back to make goal-saving challenges. Took a booking for the team in a situation where it was sensible to do so.

Butler – immense as usual

Lancashire – this lad is getting better and better with Butler to guide him and Smith/Nichol to coach him. Superb last night, comfortable on the ball, getting challenges in, not intimidated by Lambert

Taundry – see above, did his job, showed passion and commitment. You can’t knock a player who does that, even though he lacks football intelligence

Marshall – poor I thought, the one weak link, but him being in the side did allow Taundry to do a job

Richards – a very poor game. Something’s not right with him. He looked scared and weak. On Saturday, a player went past him at one stage and he had nothing in the tank to respond. I wonder if he’s suffering from a virus/illness? If he can return to the form of a month or so ago, we’ll look even better.

Gray – in and out of the game, looked dangerous when he attacked them and did cause some problems

Macken – quite simply the best footballer we have. Some of his touches were sublime, his ability to hold off a defender twice his size was incredible and his anticipation for the goal showed he’s played at the top level

Ledesma – as others have said, he looked like a fantastic prospect. Presumably he hasn’t been playing regular 1st team football and yet he looked pretty sharp, some great tricks and nearly a fantastic goal. And, most importantly of all (were you watching Grigg and Price?), he chased everything, causing defenders to make mistakes. Against lesser opposition, I think he’s going to have a major impact. Him and Macken together looks like a great pairing.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:36 am

Deano_Saddler wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:
saddlerken wrote:

I could be very critical of Taundrys performances this season but i cannot fault him for everything on tonights performance, we won tonights game on hard work, passion and abit of luck. Taundry worked very very hard and showed as much passion as anyone in an Walsall shirt tonight, that's enough for me.

Now if you asking me whether or not i think Taundry is good enough for league one then i would say yeah he is. I still think that signing a new midfielder in Ledesma was a good move but i think Taundry is a good player to have in the team
definitely.

If you think running round like a headless chicken offering no quality on the ball what so ever, also costing the club an absolute fortune in balls lost on top of the floors to go stand from his volleys on goal then sign us all up we can all do that.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:40 am

I cant belive some people were critising the argie, he was excellent, he chased everything, he caused them all sorts of problems with resorting to just kick him off the park, did he react? Not once, at last we have a player willing to carry the ball forward with pace and real quality, are you watching Taundry, Nicholls and Marshall?
Last edited by bleed_red_n_white on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Re: Southampton (H) League 1 Tuesday 1/3/11.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:53 am

Scottie_H wrote:
saddlerken wrote:

You are wrong

Clueless cyclo. Taundry was a massive weak point last night, and threatened to gift then the points single handedly by often needlessly giving away possession. Running around a lot, or being local doesn't make a good footballer. Your summary is one of someone who wasn't paying attention, or of someone who is still caught up in the emotion of an otherwise immense team performance.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Re: Southampton (H) League 1 Tuesday 1/3/11.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:57 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:Absolutely epic result!

The fans were amazing - buzzing in a Fellows Park kind of way.

And not a "singing section" in sight. ;)

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:37 am

I couldn't post last night - I was emotionally drained after watching that. It reminded me of when we were in the Championship under Lee where we scored first and then held out for grim death. Probably the difference that 3 points makes compared with one.

No doubt that Southampton are a good side, but due to some heroic defending and their failure to take chances (I don't like using the word luck) we somehow pinched the points. I need to see the highlights to understand better how they did not score 2 or 3 times in the second half.

Keeping feet firmly on the ground, we still need to address the midfield. Richards' form has dipped in the past two games as he is back to having to carry others around him. He was still good though, when compared with Taundry and Marshall.

Argy looked OK to me and will have easier games. He came into the hotel next door after the game. I shook his hand, waved my scarf in his face and told him not to roll around the floor like a tart. He smiled, having not understood a word :D But he did wave to me as he left :D

Best atmosphere for ages - well done to the singers!

Bonus points for us last night. A draw on Saturday will do for me now.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season