Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southampton (H) League 1 Tuesday 1/3/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Re: Re: Southampton (H) League 1 Tuesday 1/3/11.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:46 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Scottie_H wrote:
saddlerken wrote:
Deano_Saddler wrote:This was a game were you could not fault 1 single player for anything.

Richard Taundry, he was at fault for being rubbish

You are wrong

Taundry worked his backside off all game and made many important challenges, plus distributed quite well

And I don't usually rate him

You, saddlerken, are either a troll or have poor judgement

Clueless cyclo. Taundry was a massive weak point last night, and threatened to gift then the points single handedly by often needlessly giving away possession. Running around a lot, or being local doesn't make a good footballer. Your summary is one of someone who wasn't paying attention, or of someone who is still caught up in the emotion of an otherwise immense team performance.

Spot on, as I put in my post further up, Taundry is absolute gash.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Re: Southampton (H) League 1 Tuesday 1/3/11.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:07 am

My summary of last night for what it is worth:

Walker - immense, kept us in the game when we could have conceded 5, 6 or more.
Lescott - thought he was steady, a little bit scrappy at times but did well.
Lancashire - very good game, upped his efforts against his old club, great in the air.
Butler - immense, close call for MOTM with Walker.
Williams - steady, seems to be better defensively than Westy but some of his distribution was poor.
Taundry - did ok although not enough quality for league 1. Runs around like a headless chicken and looks like a hobbit. Set peices were ok though.
Marshall - Poor. Too left footed without the compsure of Richards to pull it off. Week link.
Richards - Not a good game by his standards. Can't tackle and without a battler like Gill leaves us exposed in the middle.
Gray - Chased all game and looked dangerous when he was eventually given the ball in decent positions. Doesn't get the ball enough.
Macken - Good game! Held the ball up really well and finished his goal well. Only downside is his constant moaning to the ref and niggles with defenders. Looked like he was running in quick sand shortly before coming off.
Ledesma - Showed good pace, skill and touch. Also doesn't look scared to shoot either despite one of his shots hitting the corner flag. Hardly got the ball in the 2nd half and distribution was again limited to a lot of long balls forward. Donside - rolls around on the floor like a girl, moaned to the ref a lot, is scared of heading the ball and never retreated 10 yards for free-kicks.....surprised he didn't get booked.

Subs:

Nicholls - Did ok but never seen him use his pace to beat a full-back. I can only presume that this is because he is slow when running with the ball due to his lack of quality.
Byfield - Didn't do anything.
Smith - Not enough time. This was a wise substitution though as it wasted a bit of time and gave us another heading machine at the back to deal with their bombardment. There were some clueless 'fans' sitting by me moaning about Macken being swapped for Smith and saying what a ridiculous sub it was - one of many fans without a footballing brain at the Bescott (Hopefully the U18's ploy for next season bears fruit otherwise the crowds will be more like 2,000-2,500 in 5-10 years time when you look at the current demographic!).

All in all it was an unbelievable result and despite being under a lot of pressure everyone battled hard. I just hope that this will give us confidence for Saturday in what is a must win game :mrgreen:

Southampton created a lot of pressure and chances, however this won't be the case for a lot of other teams we have left to play which bodes well. If we can keep the defence keeping clean sheets then I see no reason why we can't be safe prior to Charlton & Southampton.

Fanwatch: Not too bad. Still can't quite understand why a small number away at Notts County can create so much more noise than a home game with presumably a lot more???!!! The away support at NC was the best of the season and that ended in a 1-1 draw. Songs were continuous throughout (albeit a number of them being about Lee Hughes) at NC but it seems to be a bit of a struggle to get started at the Banks's. Southampton bought a fair number for a long Tuesday night journey, however they hardly made a peep all game, even at 0-0. The only songs I heard from them were, 'Your grounds too small for us' and 'We have more cash than you' - both of which were sung in some kind of ridiculous mockney accent.........make of that what you will. :?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:34 am

fatboyslim wrote:Smith - Not enough time. This was a wise substitution though as it wasted a bit of time and gave us another heading machine at the back to deal with their bombardment. There were some clueless 'fans' sitting by me moaning about Macken being swapped for Smith and saying what a ridiculous sub it was - one of many fans without a footballing brain at the Bescott (Hopefully the U18's ploy for next season bears fruit otherwise the crowds will be more like 2,000-2,500 in 5-10 years time when you look at the current demographic!).

Really? Did they not see that they'd pushed Jaidi up front and that was a move to counter that threat (and waste some time, of course)? An excellent and thought out substitution

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:01 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
fatboyslim wrote:Smith - Not enough time. This was a wise substitution though as it wasted a bit of time and gave us another heading machine at the back to deal with their bombardment. There were some clueless 'fans' sitting by me moaning about Macken being swapped for Smith and saying what a ridiculous sub it was - one of many fans without a footballing brain at the Bescott (Hopefully the U18's ploy for next season bears fruit otherwise the crowds will be more like 2,000-2,500 in 5-10 years time when you look at the current demographic!).

Really? Did they not see that they'd pushed Jaidi up front and that was a move to counter that threat (and waste some time, of course)? An excellent and thought out substitution

Well I'll have to disagree with you both. The point about Macken is that, only a minute earlier, he'd chased a ball into the corner, held it up, held off defenders and used up the best part of a minute. He's capable of that. That's why I would have kept him on for the last few minutes. With Nicholls and Byfield running around up front, the ball just wasn't going to stick, and so it proved. It may have been a good decision to bring Smith on to counter Jaidi, but it was the wrong man to take off.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:03 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Running around a lot, or being local doesn't make a good footballer

100% agreed, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Taundry was played on the right last night to do a specific job in backing up Lescott defensively against a very good player. He did that much better than Nicholls would have done, to the extent that Lallana wasn't a factor in the game at all. On that basis, he has to receive some credit.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:05 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Well I'll have to disagree with you both. The point about Macken is that, only a minute earlier, he'd chased a ball into the corner, held it up, held off defenders and used up the best part of a minute. He's capable of that. That's why I would have kept him on for the last few minutes. With Nicholls and Byfield running around up front, the ball just wasn't going to stick, and so it proved. It may have been a good decision to bring Smith on to counter Jaidi, but it was the wrong man to take off.

Macken could barely run towards the end of the game. He got the ball in the corner and should have held it there yet he twisted and turned and then smashed a cross/shot out for a goalkick when he could have kept it there for a lot longer. I was right next to the corner when this happened.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:20 pm

fatboyslim wrote:Macken could barely run towards the end of the game. He got the ball in the corner and should have held it there yet he twisted and turned and then smashed a cross/shot out for a goalkick when he could have kept it there for a lot longer. I was right next to the corner when this happened.

I was right next to the corner as well. And yes, he twisted, he turned, he held off a defender, then made a determined run and went for the top corner of the goal...badly! That, to me, is still a lot better than a Nicholls or Byfield running into a defender and losing the ball.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:33 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:
fatboyslim wrote:Macken could barely run towards the end of the game. He got the ball in the corner and should have held it there yet he twisted and turned and then smashed a cross/shot out for a goalkick when he could have kept it there for a lot longer. I was right next to the corner when this happened.

I was right next to the corner as well. And yes, he twisted, he turned, he held off a defender, then made a determined run and went for the top corner of the goal...badly! That, to me, is still a lot better than a Nicholls or Byfield running into a defender and losing the ball.

Fair enough. Whatever happened in the end worked out nicely anyway :D

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:35 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:As for the comments about Taundry, I despair of Walsall “fans” at times. Yes he is slow of thought and action at times, but Smith put him on the right to do a specific job last night and he had as much influence on the win as anybody. The job he had? To properly defend the right side and support Lescott in nullifying the threat from Lallana (sp?), who has recently been described as “the best player in this division”.

Oh, so fans that have a different opinion to yours are "fans" are they? What's that, inferior fans to you? :roll:

I'll never slag off Taundry for his determination and effort but if that's what makes a professional footballer then I wish I'd gone for a tiral at his age.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:48 pm

tinned wrote:Oh, so fans that have a different opinion to yours are "fans" are they? What's that, inferior fans to you? :roll:

I used it because someone else had used it in an earlier argument.....but I guess it looks a bit daft when it's not easily connected :oops: The point I was trying to make is that, in the same way that I'm happy for someone to point out that Smith was put on to counter Jaidi going up front, I think it's fair enough to point out that instead of everyone having a go at Taundry, how much better to see the positive side which was that he was put on to do a specific job (I believe) and he did it.

tinned wrote:I'll never slag off Taundry for his determination and effort but if that's what makes a professional footballer then I wish I'd gone for a tiral at his age.

Perhaps you should have done? Taundry gives 100% effort and commitment and he obviously has a belief in himself. What he doesn't appear to have is a football brain and he therefore runs around like a headless chicken and he chooses a lot of wrong options in possession. Now either he's not being coached to be better or he lacks the intelligence and ability. Either way, that's not his fault, it's down to the management. I definitely get the feeling that he's one player who gives 100% on the pitch and plays to the best of HIS ability....you can't ask for more than that, and for some to be quite abusive about him is wrong in my opinion.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:56 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:
tinned wrote:Oh, so fans that have a different opinion to yours are "fans" are they? What's that, inferior fans to you? :roll:

I used it because someone else had used it in an earlier argument.....but I guess it looks a bit daft when it's not easily connected :oops: The point I was trying to make is that, in the same way that I'm happy for someone to point out that Smith was put on to counter Jaidi going up front, I think it's fair enough to point out that instead of everyone having a go at Taundry, how much better to see the positive side which was that he was put on to do a specific job (I believe) and he did it.

tinned wrote:I'll never slag off Taundry for his determination and effort but if that's what makes a professional footballer then I wish I'd gone for a tiral at his age.

Perhaps you should have done? Taundry gives 100% effort and commitment and he obviously has a belief in himself. What he doesn't appear to have is a football brain and he therefore runs around like a headless chicken and he chooses a lot of wrong options in possession. Now either he's not being coached to be better or he lacks the intelligence and ability. Either way, that's not his fault, it's down to the management. I definitely get the feeling that he's one player who gives 100% on the pitch and plays to the best of HIS ability....you can't ask for more than that, and for some to be quite abusive about him is wrong in my opinion.

Fair play. I did think it strange to see you resorting to what looked like pompous, "I'm a better fans than you" posts. I'll let you off then :wink:

The reason I didn't go for a trial is that I was very poor. Somebody really should've told Taundry a few years ago. I'll never abuse him at the ground because I refuse to slag off players thta are putting in their all (plus he waved to my kids when he drove into our cul-de-sac :D ) but I do gte frustrated when some think he's somekind of hero because he is local and a 100%er.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:18 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Reaction:

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... -reaction/

I have to disagree with several posts here. I think all four at the back had very good games, considering the pressure they were under. Butler (especially) was immense. The midfield did all they could against opposition of that quality (helped by Schneiderlin injuring himself early on). Macken was immense. Ledesma? I can only be shocked by some comments. I thought he looked quick, intelligent, tricky and strong. He also took an absolute battering from a somewhat thuggish defence (can anyone explain how Hammond escaped a booking for a somewhat nasty and very cynical foul on him in the first half, as he ran past?).

Great minds think alike Neil - I too agree that he looked strong on the ball for a 'foreigner'. Very impressive.

I thought Gray too was brilliant - really looked up for it.

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:18 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:
Deano_Saddler wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:
saddlerken wrote:
Deano_Saddler wrote:This was a game were you could not fault 1 single player for anything.

Richard Taundry, he was at fault for being rubbish

Deano_Saddler will brook no criticism of Taundry. These Aldridge School lads stick together, you know! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I could be very critical of Taundrys performances this season but i cannot fault him for everything on tonights performance, we won tonights game on hard work, passion and abit of luck. Taundry worked very very hard and showed as much passion as anyone in an Walsall shirt tonight, that's enough for me.

Now if you asking me whether or not i think Taundry is good enough for league one then i would say yeah he is. I still think that signing a new midfielder in Ledesma was a good move but i think Taundry is a good player to have in the team
definitely.

If you think running round like a headless chicken offering no quality on the ball what so ever, also costing the club an absolute fortune in balls lost on top of the floors to go stand from his volleys on goal then sign us all up we can all do that.

I think he makes a good squad player, to say he has no quality what so ever is a joke. If you give him a job to do like last night which someone mentioned earlier then he will do it and he did it very well last night in my opinion, i'm not saying he's a guarenteed starter every week but when you have a game were you need sometime to battle for ball and win you things then Taundry does that better than most in our team. Their are alot of advantages to having Taundry in certain games but also i do agree that their are alot of weaknesses there but he is a player that can do alot for the team and his wages i'd imagine are 1 of the lowest in the team .

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:34 pm

Agree entirely Neil - I'm afraid the criticism of Ledesma is wide of the mark. He gave a very good and (probably) the most experienced defence in the league a fairly tough time and linked up well with Macken (I can't help but note that some of those criticising Ledesma are those who claim that Macken offers us nothing). Let's see him against the poor defences in this league, rather than against the Jaidi's, Harding's and Butterfield's of the world, when Macken's movement creates space and pulls slow defences out of position. On first impression, I think he can be a dangerous player for us and we should give him the freedom to play his game, because I don't think it will be a game that many defenders in League One will be at all comfortable with. Certainly he offers a wholly different option to any of our other strikers and doesn't fit the identikit approach to footballers at this level which our previous management team seemed content with.

As for last night; just like the old days. We rode our luck, took a bit of a battering at times but for our effort, our quality on the ball, our pressing when not in possession and for a team spirit and togetherness which got the heart stirring after our goal we were fully deserving of the result. It reminded me of some of our performances in 98-99 when we could take wave after wave from supposedly better teams and be confident in our centre-backs and goal keeper to stay solid, composed and switched on. Whilst I won't say I didn't see a Southampton goal coming last night, the confidence that Walker inspires meant that a game I think we'd have lost heavily earlier in the season was, from fairly early on, heading for a draw at least.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:37 pm

Also, take a bow the idiot in the main stand last night cheering ironically when Paul Marshall was taken off. He didn't do a lot, but he didn't do a lot wrong either. There really are some prize tossers at the Banks's.

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:39 pm

can anyone tell me where did they get 5 mins of added time from last night i thought it was a joke

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:55 pm

morethanuknow wrote:Can anyone tell me where did they get 5 mins of added time from, last night? I thought it was a joke.

How about 6 substitutions (@ 30 seconds each on the current tariff), the trainers going on to treat injuries and Walker's persistent time-wasting? 5 minutes seems quite reasonable. Walker's deliberate slowness at goal-kicks certainly wound up the Saints' fans (full marks for that! :D ) but it could have led to a caution which we can ill afford.

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:35 pm

Any highlights of the game anywhere yet?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:48 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
morethanuknow wrote:Can anyone tell me where did they get 5 mins of added time from, last night? I thought it was a joke.

How about 6 substitutions (@ 30 seconds each on the current tariff), the trainers going on to treat injuries and Walker's persistent time-wasting? 5 minutes seems quite reasonable. Walker's deliberate slowness at goal-kicks certainly wound up the Saints' fans (full marks for that! :D ) but it could have led to a caution which we can ill afford.

I didn't understand why so many questioned the 5 mins added time. Taundry was down after being kicked in the face for at least 2 mins. I don't think many know about the 30 seconds rule for subs.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:06 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

I didn't understand why so many questioned the 5 mins added time. Taundry was down after being kicked in the face for at least 2 mins. I don't think many know about the 30 seconds rule for subs.

CLUELESS

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:33 pm

Asps wrote:
Scottie_H wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:
Scottie_H wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Taundry, Marshall and Richards were very poor tonight, but the rest of the team were fautless.

I am better than Richard Taundry on the ball - he has the same talent as Ian Roper with the ball.

Difference is - he was out there, on the ball

You were in the stands, watching

Just sayin' :wink:

I play in the huge North Wales league Dr ;)
:mrgreen:

Video on YouTube or it never happened :wink:

He was good once, but not a patch on Brummie Saddler!!

haha i dont know about that, i was very impressed with bangor when we played, i didnt play to great when he was there too busy having a daft argument.

as for the game.... SUPERB

fans were superb all game, some new young faces in my block and starting songs off themselves :) fair play to them, really helped with the atmosphere. i had that amazing feeling again when i dont sing the last part of wednesbury road, just so i can hear the whole off the ftg belting it out and me thinking WOWW they must hear that in friar park :D

great night, so excited for saturday now, i think it will feel like a home game with the support im expecting to come

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:38 pm

Easy routine win for us.

Never doubted our ability to win the game, had Walsall 3 points written all over it.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:27 pm

Apologies for the lateness of this post - I stayed in a computer-less house in Cannock last night...... so, what can I add to comments already made?

Not a lot, you won't be surprised to hear. From the start it was obvious that we were up against a very good footballing side. Their passes on the floor always seemed to go straight to one of their own (even from one-touch without apparently looking), they were out-jumping us for every header, and we weren't showing any sign of being able to penetrate their defence. As the first half wore on I was finding it more and more difficult to assess where (and how) we could possibly score - Southampton, by contrast, were having more and more direct approaches on our goal, and the arrival of half-time was something of a relief at 0-0, to say nothing of the relaxation in the squeaky bum department.

By the 70th minute I was thinking that we were only ever going to score against this lot by virtue of a crass defensive error, and (Lo and behold) one duly came our way when their big coloured defender attempted a delicate header in the direction (he thought) of his keeper - he was poor in his direction, and Macken (in true "poacher" mode) stole past him and chipped the ball into the goal from about ten yards (certainly not the 30 yards previously quoted). Well, didn't we go slightly berserk?????

The only snag following that was that I had (sitting behind the goal) a direct view of the "clock" on the electronic scoreboard, and Oh! the agony of willing those minutes on...... and then we get 5 minutes added time :roll: It seemed excessive, but I hadn't taken account of substitutions - logical thought wasn't with me at that stage. In the end, a cracking win, highly unexpected, against a very good side.

Jimmy certainly deserved MOTM for me - it didn't matter which parts of his body he used to keep the ball out, and I think he used most of them. Mention must be made, however, of all the other members of the defence because they were all playing out of their skins. I can't recall any match with so many brave blocks and last-ditch tackles when you'd be thinking that all was lost. It was a bit like seeing half-a-dozen Zigor Aranaldes (without the occasional nightmare moment!!). Butler - well, what can one say other than he should be persuaded to stay for another two seasons at least. And as we walked out of the ground it was reassuring to hear "The Great Escape" being boomed over the P/A at us.

A final mention to some friends - many thanks to Ian (Dynamo Zuffle) for his help in gaining admission - also great to meet (and put faces to names) tinned, Bangor Cymru Saddler and the lovely Linda, plus one or two others on the train after the game.

I shall (with pleasure) revise my "predictions" thread in the light of the 3 welcome points gained. UTS!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:48 pm

Deano_Saddler wrote:Any highlights of the game anywhere yet?

Highlights of the game are on the BBC Football website, just click the link to League One. It includes an after-match brief interview with Adkins the Southampton manager, but nothing from any Walsall counterpart. Shame on you, BBC!!!

As an afterthought to the game, and now I'm safely back among the sheep, I had a look at the BBC's version of the stats for the evening, and they say this:

Share of the play: Walsall 50%, Southampton 50% (that surprises me more than a little)

Attempts ON target: Walsall 3, Southampton 11

Attempts OFF target: Walsall 4, Southampton 9

Corners: Walsall 6, Southampton 12

Fouls: Walsall 11, Southampton 16

(but it's the result, and the three points, that count!!! :mrgreen: )

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:45 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Absolutely epic result!

The fans were amazing - buzzing in a Fellows Park kind of way.

And not a "singing section" in sight. ;)

Shame it was missing before Smith took control :wink:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:48 pm

Exile wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Fans are amazing and buzzing when they've got something to be amazed and buzzing about...........patently it wasn't there under CH.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:02 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Exile wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Fans are amazing and buzzing when they've got something to be amazed and buzzing about...........patently it wasn't there under CH.

singing was good all the game even when we was being out played before the goal, yes the goal and the result getting closer made the rest of the atmosphere better as others then decided to get involved, but overall it was a good atmsphere full stop

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season