Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southampton (H) League 1 Tuesday 1/3/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
longdogs
UTS Legend

Re: Southampton (H) League 1 Tuesday 1/3/11.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:41 pm

Immense. Southampton are a good side, and we rode our luck, but we really wanted it tonight. Great game, fantastic atmosphere, total commitment from the players, brilliant result.

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:44 pm

fensaddler wrote:Thank you for the great Escape theme Duke, wonderful. I could hear on the radio that they were playing it as the game ended tonight. Beat Swindon and Yeovil and we might just believe...

I am already a believer

Neil Diamond please forgive me but a rewrite is in order

I thought winning was only true in fairy tales
Meant for someone else but not for us.
winning was out to get us
That's the way it seemed.
Disappointment haunted all walsall teams

Then there was no Dog face, now I'm a believer
Not a trace of doubt in my mind.
Dean Smith, I'm a believer!
I couldn't dream this if I tried.

I thought Walsall was more or less a givin' thing,
Seems the more I gave the more Jeff got.
What's the use in tryin'?
almost become a stayaway.
When I needed hope, we got Brain.

Then I heard Dean Smith, now I'm a believer
Not a trace of doubt in my mind.
Were staying up, I'm a believer!
I couldn't dream this if I tried.

please remember Im a numbers guy

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:46 pm

Liked that, canadian. Saw Neil on Saturday live at the Vector. Great act.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:54 pm

Immense result, despite riding our luck. I thought everyone played a part tonight, but special mentions for Butler and Lancashire and Super Jim. Argie bargie went down like a sack of spuds at times, but he played well too.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:56 pm

I've just witnessed a major act of larceny - but who's complaining? Certainly not me! (I guess the Saints' message boards will be a joy to behold, tonight and tomorrow, though :lol: ). Quite how we kept a third consecutive home clean sheet, I'm not too sure. No, that's not true - I can think of three reasons - step forward Messrs Butler, Lancashire and Walker.

A slightly more defensive line-up, presumably to accommodate Ledesma.

Walker - "You fat fool" as the Saints' fans lovingly called him but he had the last laugh. Faultless in what he did - sponsors' MotM.

Lescott - never really looked comfortable against their pacey forwards
Lancashire - well, if he wasn't going to play well against tonight's opponents then whom would he play well against? He didn't disappoint. Got better as the game progressed.
Butler - magnificent. Seemed to be playing them on his own, at times. My MotM.
Williams - better than Lescott but his left foot gives us balance in defence.

Taundry - bags of effort and no quality
Richards - a second consecutive poor game. Dropped us in the excrement several times. Philthesaddler would have been incandescent tonight!
Marshall - a rare start but nothing to suggest that he deserves another. Not a bad player but the game just passes him by.
Gray - flashes of skill but Saints had done their homework on him. To say he was our best midfield player would be accurate but it would be damning him with faint praise.

Macken - looked fitter and sharper than he has done and probably had his best game for some time. Took his gift goal very coolly.
Ledesma - I'll reserve judgement until he has had a few games. I know it's un-PC to use racial stereotypes but he IS a typical Argie - just what the QPR fans said - he goes down, rolling over and over at the slightest hint of a passing breeze!

Nicholls - replaced Marshall (Taundry moved into the centre of midfield to utilise his height and silky passing skills - yes, that is sarcasm) and played wide right. Average sort of game.
Byfield - replaced Ledesma. Didn't do a lot.
Smith - a welcome return to action for Manny. Replaced Macken as we switched to 5-4-1 for the last few minutes.

We need to accumulate some points in March because April will be a very hard month. A win at the County Ground, on Saturday, would really set us up (and Swindon in the mire).

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Absolutely epic result!

The fans were amazing - buzzing in a Fellows Park kind of way. Absolutely brilliant result.
Saints brought a load but hardly heard a peep all night.

The Saddlers defended like demons and Macken took the goal superbly.

Swindon should be cacking themselves.

UTS!

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:00 pm

Super Jimmy Walker!
Great result tonight.Under Hutch we would have lost 0-4.Well done Dean Smith and also Chris Nichol who's influece cannot be underestimated.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:04 pm

Led-es-ma, he's better than Bat-is-tuta!

He was excellent, has a great first touch and quick feet. Beat two men and attempted a chip from 40+ yards which missed by a foot. Definately gives us something extra and will cause havoc in League One given the right service.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:04 pm

Richard Taundry is gash, abysmal player, no brain, no quality, no skill... Marshall is absolutely pointless

Walsall were magnificent tonight, deserved the luck we got

DESPERATE for a centre midfielder

SWS1

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:06 pm

I was out tonight :cry: but when I got back, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. 8)
Can't wait to get to Swindon. :D

SWS1

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:07 pm

Oh, and it seems Super Jim was, er, SUPER!
:D :D :D

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:08 pm

Fantastic rearguard performance. Work rate, commitment and pasison are enough at this level to eeek out point. Saints we're excellent and under Hutchings we'd have lost that by 4 or 5 goals. Walker made a world class save low down from a point blank header, as well as 3 in the first half, they also had 2 cleared off the line. Lancashire and Butler were immense, Lescott had his best game for the club and Williams was solid enough. Gray couldn't get on the ball enough but defended well, as with Taundry. Richards had his 2nd poor game of the season and Marshall is just abysmal. Macken was superb, held the line well, held the ball up whenever he could and his link up play was good enough. La la la la Ledesma, was well - definetely Argentinian. Southamptons bossed him out of the game bar some superb little touches and a quality run late in the first half. Against the lesser teams that aren't as physically strong and when we can give him the ball and he'l scare the hell out of them.

UTS!

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:12 pm

It would be great if all of you internet Saddlers came to see the renaissance of our team!
Walsall are back!

Lone Striker

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:19 pm

Massive result this evening on a night when we rode our luck at times, however, we also did lots of things very well and looked like a decent team at times,particularly in defence where we kept our shape and won plenty of 50/50 challenges against a team who on paper looked full of goals. Team selection was spot on, selecting Taundry over Nicholls on the right was the correct decision as when we are defending for long periods as we had to tonight Taundry gives something that Nicholls is not able to.

Three massive performances for me with Walker, Butler and Macken putting in immense displays with Lancashire not far behind. When you go through the rest of the team difficult to fault anybody and we won because every player put in an above average performance, add to this the fact that there now appears a real togetherness about the squad and Dean Smith should take lots of credit for dragging us up from rock bottom to be in with a chance of staying up. Ledesma will give us something that we have not had in the squad all season and that is a bit of individual flair and if he can get a few goals he could be a real asset, someone who could give opposition defenders something to think about.

Lets enjoy the win but not get carried away, avoiding defeat on Saturday would be another step in the right direction, and if we could get that central midfielder that we would really benefit from then we may just have enough about us to stay up.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:20 pm

I think you're going senile Mr pedogogue - Ledesma was superb tonight. What impressed me most was that he didn't go very much (only twice I recall) and looked strong on the ball - which is precisely the opposite to the stereotype!

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:21 pm

I think we were very very very lucky tonight, but it's about bloody time we got some! Fine displays from Super Jim, Butler & Lancashire combined with a bit of good fortune saw us take the 3 points. It's just fantastic to finally be out, and I realy hope it lasts as the lads deserve it. Wacka was MOTM by a mile, several fantastic saves.

Onwards and upwards, bring on Swindon on saturday. UTS!

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:28 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:I think you're going senile Mr pedogogue - Ledesma was superb tonight. What impressed me most was that he didn't go very much (only twice I recall) and looked strong on the ball - which is precisely the opposite to the stereotype!

have to agree, I think he will cause major problems for lesser teams defence, I don't think he stopped running all game. Byfield better watch out!

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:29 pm

fudge' bring it on :D

Yeah, Southampton had more flair and skill but boy did we have more heart and balls. In the second half I thought our goal was protected by a magical spell.

Maken brings SO much more to the party than Price. The ball sticks to him and he doesn't panic under pressure. Cracking goal, even if it did look like it might go wide from where we were sitting.

Top, top night.

Just one thing, I wish the music had been toned down at the end. For once we were in full voice but the music drowned us out.

Oh, and good to meet Welsh Saddler tonight.

Scottie_H
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:33 pm

Thank you Dean Smith.

A bunch of footballers have become a team because of you, and a wider group of people have become Walsall FC again because of you.

It was like the old days tonight.

Not the glory days, just the old days when Walsall FC was the team and the staff and the fans.

Chris Nicholl came down to the bench tonight, and tonight reminded me of how much Walsall FC meant back when Nicholl was in charge.

I never stopped believing, but I had forgotten the feeling that used to be there.

Thank you Dean Smith.

ps. Cheesebag looks like an older version of Dean Smith - just saying.

gray
Glitterati

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:34 pm

I've just got in. I'm absolutely buzzing. What a match. I thought we were brilliant even though we rode our luck at times. Macken and Ledesma worked brilliantly up front. Ledesma looks absolutely quality, he's so tidy with the ball at his feet. I can see him scoring a lot of goals especially against teams that are poorer than Southampton.

Great atmosphere at the end too. Bring on Saturday!

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:38 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:I think you're going senile, Mr Pedagogue - Ledesma was superb tonight. What impressed me most was that he didn't go very much (only twice I recall) and looked strong on the ball - which is precisely the opposite to the stereotype!

There you go again - back to your old trick of using hyperbole. Ledesma was not "superb". I shudder to think what adjectives you will dream up when he really does play well! He had a reasonable game, nothing more, nothing less - but of course, with your neurotic obsession with Latin players, we can't really expect anything better from you, can we? :lol:

He was not "strong on the ball" as he was dispossessed several times. He was also very lucky to avoid a caution for his constant moaning at the referee and assistant referees. He "went down", in an exaggerated fashion, three times which were totally unnecessary. That said, he was nowhere near as bad as our opponents, who were far from saintly. They were going to ground, writhing in agony, so frequently, that I kept looking round to see if I could spot the sniper in the stand (but Cashley Cole wasn't there).

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:39 pm

This was a game were you could not fault 1 single player for anything. Everyone of them worked for each other and got exactly what they deserved,
Yeah the Saints will go home thinking ' How didn't we win that match ' but i really couldn't careless because all of the work those lads have gone through to get us were we are know is quite something.
Southampton dominated the game from start to finish and we never looked like scoring but a chance came from a bit of dodgy defending and the brilliant Macken finished it off very well.
The defence were absolutely superb yes not just Butler but ALL four of them. Walker was an absolute genius behind the goal as always keeping them out time and time again
The midfield worked their socks off and done it very well all game. It was by far the best i've seen on Taundry and Marshall all season.
Ledesma looks like a very good signing. Never stopped running and was for most of the game the best we had going forward.
Special mention to Macken who was my motm, he did absolute everything he could on his own up their against a difficult side and took the only real good chance we have really really well. Never rated him throughout the Hutchings era but he is now proving me wrong more and more as each game goes by.

We beat swindon saturday and we go 6 infront of them and i think that will probably keep us safe.

Also want to say that the atmosphere particularly in the 2nd half was the best i've seen in a very long time and you could tell how much the lads appreciated it as alot of them came and give us a big big clap at the end.

gray
Glitterati

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:44 pm

Butler is absolutely amazing but I think we need to start realising how brilliant Olly Lancashire has been as well. Such a solid partnership.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:46 pm

Deano_Saddler wrote:This was a game were you could not fault 1 single player for anything.

Richard Taundry, he was at fault for being rubbish

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:46 pm

Deano_Saddler wrote:Walker was an absolute genius behind the goal as always keeping them out time and time again

Imagine how much better he'd be if he stood in front of it instead of behind! :wink:

UTS Legend

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:48 pm

Southampton boss Nigel Adkins told BBC Radio Solent:
"We absolutely battered them. They got one opportunity, it came of Rahdi's (Jaidi) head and the lad's gone through and he took it well.

"We looked powerful, strong and we created so many opportunities and the ball wouldn't go in the back of the net.

"We looked a massive threat from set-plays. We had so many opportunities it was untrue."

:D

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:49 pm

De de, de de de, Rrrrrrrrrrich-ard Taun-dry!

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:50 pm

I think Ledesma was decent tonight. I don't think we was fantastic, but at times he did show glimpses of real quality. I think against lesser opposition he'd tear them apart, but as Pedagogue said he was dispossessed several times. He did give us that bit of flair though, so hopefully he'll turn out to be a good signing.

As for Lancashire, I think that the last 2 games have been the best he has played for us. He was my MOTM on saturday and tonight, He wouldn't have been far behind Wacka and Butler. It seems that him and Butler work well together and Olly greatly benefits from being alongside Butler. Since they've been partnered together, Lancashire has come on leaps and bounds.

Scottie_H
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:51 pm

saddlerken wrote:
Deano_Saddler wrote:This was a game were you could not fault 1 single player for anything.

Richard Taundry, he was at fault for being rubbish

You are wrong

Taundry worked his arse off all game and made many important challenges, plus distributed quite well

And I don't usually rate him

You, saddlerken, are either a troll or have poor judgement

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:54 pm

for me tonight is how you stay up or win leagues,your forward nicks it for you when your up against it and you dont conceed .i think its a first this season that weve nicked it when under so much pressure and not let the oppistion score .great win

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season