Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Dagenham and Redbridge (H) League 1 Tuesady 15/2/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Dagenham and Redbridge (H) League 1 Tuesady 15/2/11.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:54 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Why is everyone so depressed?

I'm happy.

Ivan Gattuso is still mental, Walsall are winning (ish) and I have a great beard.

Gattuso is infact, off his tits.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Re: Re: Dagenham and Redbridge (H) League 1 Tuesady 15/2/1

Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:36 am

moaning saddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:Let's see what swifty says first.

Oh dear, the phrase that comes to mind is "All mouth, no trousers". :roll:

If you're talking about swifty, then yes. The bet was offered to swifty, if he doesn't take it, I'll take your offer up. I won't be gambling half of my season ticket price to a couple of moaning losers though.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:46 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Dave Gittins wrote:This makes it look as though Taundry had a great match!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 400086.stm

That is from a neutral point of view though. Only those "loyal supporters" that love to hate him seem to have such a problem with him. As I said on another thread, the criticism of him the other night was harsh, to say the least. You saw more crosses in that clip than Nicholls has managed all season, yet he's still not good enough.

No goals, no assists all season. Taundry is not good enough. That opinion in no way makes me "disloyal". It's my view. I didn't think Hutchings was good enough either. Was that disloyal too?

See MMF - you've caught one already! :wink:

The point remains though, Taundry is nearly good enough at lots of things, but not actually good enough at anything.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Re: Dagenham and Redbridge (H) League 1 Tuesady 15/2/11.

Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:56 am

King Crimson wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

That is from a neutral point of view though. Only those "loyal supporters" that love to hate him seem to have such a problem with him. As I said on another thread, the criticism of him the other night was harsh, to say the least. You saw more crosses in that clip than Nicholls has managed all season, yet he's still not good enough.

No goals, no assists all season. Taundry is not good enough. That opinion in no way makes me "disloyal". It's my view. I didn't think Hutchings was good enough either. Was that disloyal too?

The point remains though, Taundry is nearly good enough at lots of things, but not actually good enough at anything.

The point is if we had a decent striker on the end of those good crosses (maybe it will be Price when he comes back, he promised when he joined if he gets crosses, he will score...), then we'd have stuffed Dagenham from Taundry's contribution. Wingers job = create chances for strikers. Job done.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:06 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

The point is if we had a decent striker on the end of those good crosses (maybe it will be Price when he comes back, he promised when he joined if he gets crosses, he will score...), then we'd have stuffed Dagenham from Taundry's contribution. Wingers job = create chances for strikers. Job done.

Same argument as the "Merson's passes were too good for his team-mates" view. The fact is that a whipped in ball, close to the keeper, requires a quality up front that we haven't got (even in Price in my view, who whilst a handful hasn't shown a great deal as a finisher with foot or forehead).

I'd go Nicholls out right every time. As you say elsewhere, I think he's worked hard on his defensive duties, and offers pace. Crosses are hit and miss, but he'll cut inside and link up relatively well with strikers. I'd even venture that he may be our most improved player under Smith (the other possible contender for me being Lancashire).

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:15 am

King Crimson wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Same argument as the "Merson's passes were too good for his team-mates" view. The fact is that a whipped in ball, close to the keeper, requires a quality up front that we haven't got (even in Price in my view, who whilst a handful hasn't shown a great deal as a finisher with foot or forehead).

I'd go Nicholls out right every time. As you say elsewhere, I think he's worked hard on his defensive duties, and offers pace. Crosses are hit and miss, but he'll cut inside and link up relatively well with strikers. I'd even venture that he may be our most improved player under Smith (the other possible contender for me being Lancashire).

I'm not buying the Merson analogy. He'd put balls into space hoping someone would get onto them. Putting a cross into the danger area around the penalty spot, with pace and away from the keeper is all you can ask. It's the striker's job to get onto them and no argument will convince me otherwise. A good cross with catch a defence unaware and if a striker isn't on the end of it there is a chance at this level that a defender will panic and make a poor clearance, allowing us another chance to get another ball in for a striker to waste.

The amount of crosses we see from Nicholls, and others, hit the first man, or way overhit are examples of bad crosses. Then again he's not a winger so I'll excuse him for that.

To be honest its quiye annoying people freely criticise hard working players like Taundry yet praise Macken who was fortunate enough to be born with natural talent yet is overweight, unfit and doesn't put the effort in that as a fan I'd like to see, and if he did would see far better results. I'm not denying his quality or what he adds to the team but he could do a lot more. Taundry couldnt but we have to accept he can't improve his natural talent and appreciate what he does offer.

In any case if fans hadn't hounded out Mark Wright we wouldnt be having this discussion. It will be Taundry or Nicholls hounded out next, and we'll be left with another player who was good for someone 10 years ago but now, quote frankly can't be bothered that we payore than double in wages for...Steve Jones.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:20 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

I'm not buying the Merson analogy. He'd put balls into space hoping someone would get onto them. Putting a cross into the danger area around the penalty spot, with pace and away from the keeper is all you can ask. It's the striker's job to get onto them and no argument will convince me otherwise. A good cross with catch a defence unaware and if a striker isn't on the end of it there is a chance at this level that a defender will panic and make a poor clearance, allowing us another chamc

The amount of crosses we see from Nicholls, and others, hit the first man, or way overhit are examples of bad crosses. Then again he's not a winger so I'll excuse him for that.

Agree about Nicholl's crosses. For me though, the type of cross you describe (a) isn't always what Taundry delivers by any means and (b) requires strikers who are good, particularly at running on to those balls at pace. Macken? Price? Neither will do that.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:24 am

Sorry, replied by mistake before I'd finished that post. Done now.

Price said if you put the ball.on my.head, I'll do the rest. Let's try Taundry's crosses when Price is on the pitch and see if he lives up to his word.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:31 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:Sorry, replied by mistake before I'd finished that post. Done now.

Price said if you put the ball.on my.head, I'll do the rest. Let's try Taundry's crosses when Price is on the pitch and see if he lives up to his word.

Maybe. Footballers don't always walk the talk. Byfield promised to be a great captain....

Taundry promised to push on this season.

Not convinced Price is any better in the air (with balls from anybody) than Grigg.

Still, all abart opinyons ay it, ar kidda!

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:56 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:... Macken who was fortunate enough to be born with natural talent yet is overweight, unfit and doesn't put the effort in that as a fan I'd like to see, and if he did would see far better results. I'm not denying his quality or what he adds to the team but he could do a lot more.

MMF - you're not allowed to criticise Macken because, apparently, he is "fantastic" and "his hold-up play is brilliant" (is he a bloody highwayman?). I think that these rank among WFC urban myths of our time.

Magic Man Fan wrote:In any case, if fans hadn't hounded out Mark Wright ...

Are you fishing or do you seriously believe that? - because it patently isn't true!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:50 pm

Sad that some people still talk about Mark Wright as if he was Messi.

He was about the same as Alex Nicholls.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Re: Re: Re: Dagenham and Redbridge (H) League 1 Tuesady 15/2/1

Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:07 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
moaning saddler wrote:

If you're talking about swifty, then yes. The bet was offered to swifty, if he doesn't take it, I'll take your offer up. I won't be gambling half of my season ticket price to a couple of moaning losers though.

Swiftyboy has gone AWOL - he doesn't want to take up the bet. My £100 offer still stands - please be kind enough to confirm your acceptance before I leave for Colchester ( 10.30 a.m. Saturday ). Although £50 is fine if you're feeling a bit queasy.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:45 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
moaning saddler wrote:

How can I be all mouth and no trousers? I've just been roped into this! I didn't asked to be! I'm not prepared to let a fellow fan throw £100 away, just because he has been blinded by optimism. It's just not fair ;-)

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:48 am

moaning saddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
moaning saddler wrote:

Swiftyboy has gone AWOL - he doesn't want to take up the bet. My £100 offer still stands - please be kind enough to confirm your acceptance before I leave for Colchester ( 10.30 a.m. Saturday ). Although £50 is fine if you're feeling a bit queasy.

Havent gone AWOL Moaning. I'm happy to take 10% as a reward for allowing you to take the bet instead of me ;-) After all, it is easy money

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:01 am

Anybody who thinks Taundrey qualifies as any more than an adequate at this level as either a winger or midfielder probably thought Wright was inadequate in the same role. Mystic's knowledge of 'football matters' would appear to be inadequate, this is probably due to his lack of 'playing football at a very high level'.

:D

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:26 am

swiftyboy wrote:
moaning saddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
moaning saddler wrote:

Havent gone AWOL Moaning. I'm happy to take 10% as a reward for allowing you to take the bet instead of me ;-) After all, it is easy money

Seems that MMF has gone AWOL - although I can now generously extend the offer until 11.45 a.m. Past that point, all mouth and no trousers will become FACT. :lol:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:28 pm

Cully wrote:Anybody who thinks Taundrey qualifies as any more than an adequate at this level as either a winger or midfielder probably thought Wright was inadequate in the same role. Mystic's knowledge of 'football matters' would appear to be inadequate, this is probably due to his lack of 'playing football at a very high level'.

:D

You're using someone else's quote against my name you donut.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:29 pm

moaning saddler wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:
moaning saddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
moaning saddler wrote:[quote="Magic Man Fan"]
Let's see what swifty says first.

Seems that MMF has gone AWOL - although I can now generously extend the offer until 11.45 a.m. Past that point, all mouth and no trousers will become FACT. :lol:[/quote]

AWOL? What's the rush? We're already down aren't we? So what does a few hours matter?

I was waiting for swifty to confirm he doesn't believe half the stuff he writes about Bonser relegating us.months ago.

£50. You're on. If I lose the bet it will be down to pessimistic fans like you who can't see fit to be positive and encourage the team. ;)

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:18 pm

£50 wager accepted.
If I win, please donate £10 of the £50 to UTS funds.
If I lose the bet, and I genuinely hope that I do, where do you want me to remit the funds?
While you are thinking about it, thanks for putting me in a win-win position with your extremely generous odds. Betfair odds on Walsall avoiding relegation are currently 6/4 - a £40 bet gives me a £60 return.
Scenario 1 : Walsall relegated - Mug Punter down £50, me up £10.
Scenario 2 : Walsall stay up - Mug Punter up £50, me up £10.
What's not to like?
The only rational reason I can think of for you offering such an enticing proposition is that you must have previously placed a large sum on the Saddlers being relegated and are looking to lay off some exposure. Shameful. :wink:

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:27 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
moaning saddler wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:
moaning saddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:[quote="moaning saddler"][quote="Magic Man Fan"]
Let's see what swifty says first.

Seems that MMF has gone AWOL - although I can now generously extend the offer until 11.45 a.m. Past that point, all mouth and no trousers will become FACT. :lol:[/quote]

AWOL? What's the rush? We're already down aren't we? So what does a few hours matter?

I was waiting for swifty to confirm he doesn't believe half the stuff he writes about Bonser relegating us.months ago.

£50. You're on. If I lose the bet it will be down to pessimistic fans like you who can't see fit to be positive and encourage the team. ;)[/quote]

I mean every word I write about Bonser, and you know it. I'm just not a betting man

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:41 pm

moaning saddler wrote:£50 wager accepted.
If I lose the bet, and I genuinely hope that I do, where do you want me to remit the funds?
While you are thinking about it, thanks for putting me in a win-win position with your extremely generous odds. Betfair odds on Walsall avoiding relegation are currently 6/4 - a £40 bet gives me a £60 return.
What's not to like?
The only rational reason I can think of for you offering such an enticing proposition is that you must have previously placed a large sum on the Saddlers being relegated and are looking to lay off some exposure. Shameful. :wink:

I rarely go in a bookies so odds, or your good fortune doesn't concern me. Having a little faith in my team, does, which is what my bet is based on. The bet was originally to see if people believe what they actually write on here, or whether they use UTS as a platform to moan about everything and everything. Job done, everyone's a winner.

Especially with the news about Plymouth today, which was of course expected to anyone with an interest in Walsall FC and League 1 in general.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:12 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
What's not to like?

I rarely go in a bookies so odds, or your good fortune doesn't concern me. Having a little faith in my team, does, which is what my bet is based on. The bet was originally to see if people believe what they actually write on here, or whether they use UTS as a platform to moan about everything and everything. Job done, everyone's a winner.

Especially with the news about Plymouth today, which was of course expected to anyone with an interest in Walsall FC and League 1 in general.

Still doesn't mean we will stay up. I hope you win your bet, for the sake of WFC, but let's not lose sight of the reason we are in this position in the first place eh?

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

No, the problem are those fans who give him alot more extra time than any other player would get because he's 'a local lad'.
It's clear to see that for the majority of the game he runs around like a headless chicken.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:20 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

No, the problem are those fans who give him alot more extra time than any other player would get because he's 'a local lad'.
It's clear to see that for the majority of the game he runs around like a headless chicken.

And I've said the same myself on many occasions this season, so it's no good aiming that at me.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:41 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Price said if you put the ball.on my.head, I'll do the rest. Let's try Taundry's crosses when Price is on the pitch and see if he lives up to his word.

He actually said "If you put the ball on my chest, I'll do the rest."

Which pretty much means that he's good at playing with his back to goal (like Macken).

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Re: Re: Dagenham and Redbridge (H) League 1 Tuesady 15/2/1

Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:41 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:Price said if you put the ball.on my.head, I'll do the rest. Let's try Taundry's crosses when Price is on the pitch and see if he lives up to his word.

Which pretty much means that he's good at playing with his back to goal (like Macken).

Most people good at playing with their back to goal don't cower or duck, or look for a foul every time a ball is played to them.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:08 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Most people good at playing with their back to goal don't cower or duck, or look for a foul every time a ball is played to them.

Correct.

Price dont leave the floor, how does he expect himself to win the header if he dont jump?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:16 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

What Rob meant is that this "pretty much means he's (claiming to be) good at playing with his back to goal.

As we all know to our cost, footballers claim all sorts of things. Sometimes they actually deliver.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun May 08, 2011 9:03 am

What's not to like?

Morning sir. You had your bet covered so you won't be disappointed, especially considering the joyous circumstances that led to my win to hand over my £50.

PM for details of where to send money. I'll add a tenner from it into the UTS pot too.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Sun May 08, 2011 11:31 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
What's not to like?

Morning sir. You had your bet covered so you won't be disappointed, especially considering the joyous circumstances that led to my win to hand over my £50.

PM for details of where to send money. I'll add a tenner from it into the UTS pot too.

Never has it been such a pleasure to pay out part of my own winnings. I started waving the £50 from row NN when news of the second Posh goal came through - very discreetly though given the state of some of my neighbours.
I guess that you must now regret not taking me up on my generous offer of £100.
Some people just do not BELIEVE enough :wink:

[ PM me payment details please ]

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season