Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Dagenham and Redbridge (H) League 1 Tuesady 15/2/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
bangsection
Site Addict

Re: Dagenham and Redbridge (H) League 1 Tuesady 15/2/11.

Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:44 pm

First clean sheet for Smith as manager, first goal for Grigg at home. Great time to get both.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:45 pm

3 points from safety.

Come on

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:49 pm

Torbaysaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:
Torbaysaddler wrote:Any chance of a goal ?

Yes.

Any chance of another one :?:

Now you're just being greedy. :mrgreen:

Well done the lads. 3 points is 3 points.

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:54 pm

Further interesting stat: that's Macken's sixth assist in his last ten games (the first ten games of the new manager's reign, incidentally).

He may not be scoring but he's clearly vital to the way we play under Smith - despite some posters on here confidently asserting that he's past it. Long may it continue.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:55 pm

Macken passed it.

;)

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:04 pm

Just got in (to the hotel next door :mrgreen: )

Well, that's what you call a 1-0 pasting

Superb performance.The only negative was our finishing, otherwise it could have been four or five. :D

Pick of the players for me were Macken who was fantastic. Held thee ball up well all night, passed well, but unfortunately couldn't score in the proverbial at the moment. Did though set Grigg up for a cracking finish, nicely curling the ball round the 'keeper.Could not argue with his MOM. Gray played another blinder and almost scored what would have been a cracking second goal had his shot been a foot the other side of the post.

Again, we passed well from the back, through midfield....oh I could go on...sheer relief and joy

Great team performance.

Why, even Nicholls turned up tonight :D

The other highlight of the evening was meeting UTS'er Rusky and his lad, Ollie :D

Rubbish turnout from the townsfolk :( but the few that bothered got behind the team and cheered them off at the end). Enjoyed the banter between the FTG and their goalie who played his part :D

Here comes my beer :D :D

UTS

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:12 pm

HKSaddler wrote:9:28
swiftyboy wrote:Mr Bonser ended any chance of survival months ago MOG. Anyone that thinks otherwise is deluded

9:29
Walsall_fan1992 wrote:YESSS! 1-0 Grigg! Smith is a tactical genius :D

:mrgreen:

Oh! I get it! That goal has just saved our season! We are going up!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:14 pm

swiftyboy wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:Mr Bonser ended any chance of survival months ago MOG. Anyone that thinks otherwise is deluded

Did you mean "staying up" :D :D

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:17 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:

Did you mean "staying up" :D :D

Maybe he's thinking play offs now!! :lol:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:17 pm

YYYYEEEEESSSSSSS!

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:20 pm

The only down for me was Taundry, I though he had a stinker, Im also worried about our finishing, I counted 3 open goals we missed, with a real finisher in the side today we could of won by 6 or 7 agen.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:23 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:The only down for me was Taundry, I though he had a stinker, Im also worried about our finishing, I counted 3 open goals we missed, with a real finisher in the side today we could of won by 6 or 7 agen.

I sort of agree with you about Taundry, however, feel it would be churlish to criticise individuals after a cracking team performance. Macken desperately needs a goal.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:23 pm

Well i just got in and ive lost me voice. Cracking.

We battered em in terms of doing anything, they had turned up for a point. Oddly. We played well without scoring until Grigg scored. They never let their heads drop, especially Macken, who should have had a hat trick.

Relief when the goal went in, utter relief. Everyone put in a shift.

Walker - Offside or not that save in the first half was immense. Didnt have much to do but did it all with no fuss.
Westlake - Love him as a player. Does the job, no fuss and gets forward.
Butler - Immense as a captain. Even had a cheeky smile when he got his arse out.
Lancashire - Always has one error at least, but is solid for the rest of the game. Turns like a lorry.
Lescott - Pretty decent game by his standards.

Gray - If his run and shot had gone in at the end it would have been brilliant. He had a good game for me, put in a shift when needed.
Gill - Keeps it ticking.
Richards - much the same, went on a few runs.
Taundry - Utter pap for 80 mins and had a great last 10 minutes! No wide player at all.

Macken - Utter class at getting the ball and laying it off. He never shoots. Ever. Needs a better striker to play off him.
Nicholls - Bloke will never make it, but he had a few nice touches.

Subs
Grigg- Daint do alot, oh but he scored. I thought he'd curled it wide :D Great finish. Get in.

Dagenham are the worst team. They are crap. Utter crap. If we had our shooting boots on it could have been four at half time.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:33 pm

Thank fornication for that, given the clinical finishing of our strikers it could easily have been Thursday before we scored.

In the words of my heroine, "rejoice, rejoice". We've got a decent chance of escaping from this Bonser inflicted hole.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:42 pm

How many times have we said now from serveral poster that Butler was immense, this guy is so good for us its unreal, what a player and what a captain, we simply cant afford to lose him in the summer. SIGN HIM UP

rusky
UTS Regular

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:45 pm

Just back in from the game, as someone said earlier an excellent 1-0 performance, I really didn't see Dagaenham scoring at any point .

I have to emphasise that the turnaround in performances under Deano is quite simply unbelievable.

No arguements about MOTM, Macken was always available, held the ball up well and just needs a goal. Quality player.

The great escape is definitely on!!

Lovely to meet Chestersaddler, top bloke and hope to see you there again.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:45 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:How many times have we said now from serveral poster that Butler was immense, this guy is so good for us its unreal, what a player and what a captain, we simply cant afford to lose him in the summer. SIGN HIM UP

Totally agree!

saddlerken
Site Addict

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:46 pm

So much effort and endeavour, fantastic win.

So much effort but alas, so little quality in places. We are going to have to work so hard to get out of the Hutchings mire.

Taundry, Lescott and Lancashire should be executed at the end of the season and fed to the Neanderthals from the Wulfs hole up the road.

Nice to see the obviously needed substitution come off since none of our players have any goal scoring instinct whatsoever.

UTS

:D

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:47 pm

Duke wrote:1-0 Grigg

woww, we score one of the biggest goals of the season, and it looks like you have no emotion, c'mon man lets see some smileys and !!!'s

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:01 pm

That was a fricking massive goal and MASSIVE WIN!

Get in you Saddlers!!!

IT IS ON!

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:02 pm

On another day this could have been 6! We murdered them but were let down when it mattered.As others have said Macken's general play was good but how many sitters did he miss?The worst was after being set up by Nicholls and he put it straight at that irritating keeper!
I really thought we had blown it but Grigg's finish was fantastic.Oh the joy and relief.

We should not be in this position.Dagenham were dreadful and we are down there with them thanks to Mr.Bonser.

SWS1

Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:10 pm

Seems like turning superiority into goals is our only real problem at the moment. It's ages since anyone has defecated on us and we have been a shade unlucky (or, more accurately, ineffective) in front of goal. Get a decent striker (Grigg??) on song and THE GREAT ESCAPE is definitely on.
Well done the Lads.
Very :D

'Utch

Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:12 pm

latviancheese wrote:
Walker - Offside or not that save in the first half was immense. Didnt have much to do but did it all with no fuss.
Westlake - Love him as a player. Does the job, no fuss and gets forward.
Butler - Immense as a captain. Even had a cheeky smile when he got his backside out.
Lancashire - Always has one error at least, but is solid for the rest of the game. Turns like a lorry.
Lescott - Pretty decent game by his standards.

Gray - If his run and shot had gone in at the end it would have been brilliant. He had a good game for me, put in a shift when needed.
Gill - Keeps it ticking.
Richards - much the same, went on a few runs.
Taundry - Utter pap for 80 mins and had a great last 10 minutes! No wide player at all.

Macken - Utter class at getting the ball and laying it off. He never shoots. Ever. Needs a better striker to play off him.
Nicholls - Bloke will never make it, but he had a few nice touches.

Subs
Grigg- Daint do alot, oh but he scored. I thought he'd curled it wide :D Great finish. Get in.

Dagenham are the worst team. They are crud. Utter crud. If we had our shooting boots on it could have been four at half time.

Would agree with pretty well all of that except that Lescott looked poor, Butler seemed to be constantly covering for him and made some superb blocks and tackles wide on the left. They didn't look comfortable at all when we ran at them which is why surprised when Nicholls got subbed but, and hats off to Deano for seeing something I couldn't, Grigg promptly pops one in...thought he took his finish very cooly, I've seen those wind up in the stands so many times. And yes, Taundry was complete, total and utter pap.

Apart from that, quite a reasonable sing song, got the 3 points and look well capabale of staying up.

COME ON YOU REDS!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:20 pm

I was worried it just wasn't going to fall our way tonight - really worried.

I genuinely thought we created more in the first half of tonight's game than we did against Bristol Rovers, when we found ourselves 3 up at half time. Taundry wasted a great chance at the back post, Macken hit the woodwork and Richards should have done much better with his volley. They'd blatantly come for a point and offered nothing going forward other than the awkwardness of Bas Savage, who had previously made a habit of making Manny Smith look silly when he played for Tranmere.

I thinght we moved the ball around fairly well on a difficult pitch and Macken was almost flawless as the centre point to our play. When we struggled, it tended to be thanks to a lack of quality from Taundry or Nicholls, who may have done the basics reasonably well, but made one decent run in 70 minutes - we need Macken to be partnered by someone who offers more than that.

Gray once again worked his socks off and put some decent balls into the box, and both Richards and Gill imposed themselves on the game more than they did on Saturday. It's also pleasing for Lancashire and Butler to keep a clean sheet as they're really looking like a solid partnership. I'm never massively confident when either Westlake or Lescott have to defend, but if the midfield does its job, moments like that can be kept to a minimum.

All in all, what a relief.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Re: Dagenham and Redbridge (H) League 1 Tuesday 15/2/11.

Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:31 pm

Chester and Rusky - are you sure you haven't been sampling the delights of the bar in the hotel? :D Macken, man-of-the-match? Do me a favour! I'll grant you that you can see signs that he HAS BEEN a good player but, unfortunately, that's exactly what he is - a has-been. He has lost whatever pace that he may have had and, as a consequence, he can never get clear of opponents. He then spends most of his time wrestling, elbowing and shirt-pulling his opponent in frustration. As for gobbing off - this guy could moan and whinge for England! I swear that if I see him fling his arms in the air again, moaning, when he has lost possession (again!), I will want to run on the field and slap him. His finishing tonight was truly, truly awful. Maybe a goal will boost his confidence and set him off on a scoring run - but I doubt it. I have this strange, old-fashioned idea that one of the main functions of a front player or striker is to score goals. I'm not expecting another Alan Buckley, Tony Richards or Colin Taylor (now, what a strike-force THAT would be!) but an occasional goal would be appreciated. This crap about his hold-up play is really wearing a bit thin. Count the number of times that he DOESN'T find a team-mate with his flicks and lay-offs. Having said all that, I don't see that DS has any choice but to select him as we have no-one any better :( . That just about sums up the quality of striker that we have at the club.

This was a game that we should have won by a comfortable margin. I expected it to be closer, given D & R's recent improved form but we were superior throughout. Nicholls's finishing was as bad as Macken's and Taundry was very disappointing. Those were the negatives but the positives were (1) a clean sheet in defence, at last, (2) Wacka's superb 1st half save (wasted, as it happened, because their guy was ruled off-side), (3) Butler's usual storming performance (not as error-prone as last Saturday) - man-of-the-match for me, (4) Gray's continued interest in taking part in the game (I wish that we could give him better service), (5) Grigg's cool finish, (6) Lancashire's slow but steady improvement and (7) some nice football that we played, apart from a spell at the start of the second half. I have to say that I'm still not convinced by Gill but I will make allowances for his lack of match-sharpness. He is too similar to Richards but not as good.

Yes - the "Great Escape" is still on! :lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:37 pm

I day think that was coming! From 10 minutes in I kept saying "This won't go in for us tonight". So glad to be proven wrong.

Yeah, based on chances we should've been way ahead at half time but I thought it was obvious it was a game between two strugglers. At time sit was very scrappy.

I really want Nicholls to do well and become a Walsall legend because I think he really cares and wants to succeed. Trouble is, any of us would really care and want to succeed but it doesn't mean we should be out on the pitch every week. Not good enough and must surely be entering the last few months of his Walsall career.

People slag Macken off for his lack of goals (and yes, he did miss a sitter or two today) but he more than makes up for that with his football brain. Who else would've picked Grigg out so well for the goal?

It was a must win game, and we did, just about.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: Dagenham and Redbridge (H) League 1 Tuesday 15/2/11.

Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:38 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Chester and Rusky - are you sure you haven't been sampling the delights of the bar in the hotel? :D Macken, man-of-the-match? Do me a favour! I'll grant you that you can see signs that he HAS BEEN a good player but, unfortunately, that's exactly what he is - a has-been. He has lost whatever pace that he may have had and, as a consequence, he can never get clear of opponents. He then spends most of his time wrestling, elbowing and shirt-pulling his opponent in frustration. As for gobbing off - this guy could moan and whinge for England! I swear that if I see him fling his arms in the air again, moaning, when he has lost possession (again!), I will want to run on the field and slap him. His finishing tonight was truly, truly awful. Maybe a goal will boost his confidence and set him off on a scoring run - but I doubt it. I have this strange, old-fashioned idea that one of the main functions of a front player or striker is to score goals. I'm not expecting another Alan Buckley, Tony Richards or Colin Taylor (now, what a strike-force THAT would be!) but an occasional goal would be appreciated. This crud about his hold-up play is really wearing a bit thin. Count the number of times that he DOESN'T find a team-mate with his flicks and lay-offs. Having said all that, I don't see that DS has any choice but to select him as we have no-one any better :( . That just about sums up the quality of striker that we have at the club.

This was a game that we should have won by a comfortable margin. I expected it to be closer, given D & R's recent improved form but we were superior throughout. Nicholls's finishing was as bad as Macken's and Taundry was very disappointing. Those were the negatives but the positives were (1) a clean sheet in defence, at last, (2) Wacka's superb 1st half save (wasted, as it happened, because their guy was ruled off-side), (3) Butler's usual storming performance (not as error-prone as last Saturday) - man-of-the-match for me, (4) Gray's continued interest in taking part in the game (I wish that we could give him better service), (5) Grigg's cool finish, (6) Lancashire's slow but steady improvement and (7) some nice football that we played, apart from a spell at the start of the second half. I have to say that I'm still not convinced by Gill but I will make allowances for his lack of match-sharpness. He is too similar to Richards but not as good.

Yes - the "Great Escape" is still on! :lol:

I can assure you that not a drop has touched my lips (my throat is a different matter).

I agree about Macken's finishing, but not his general play. Strangely, I expected a goalscorer when we signed him, but he plays more like a hold up player, which I thought he did superbly well tonight. He also turned his marker numerous times and found his man with the majority of passes.

When was the last time the sponsers awarded their MOM to a player that did not score the winner in a 1-0 win? I rest my case :wink:

Pedro
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:41 pm

Andy Butler is the new Viveash,Tilson and Tony Barras. Bloke should be a new contract asap.

As for the match if that had been 2 months ago we would have lost it in the 2nd half. The lads battled for 90 mins plus yet again and got their rewards.

UTS Legend

Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:56 pm

Dean Smith's reaction (some of it twice).

http://audioboo.fm/boos/279099-dean-smi ... ce=twitter

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:00 am

refreshingly honest

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season