Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Dagenham and Redbridge (H) League 1 Tuesady 15/2/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
dornansog
UTS Veteran

Re: Dagenham and Redbridge (H) League 1 Tuesady 15/2/11.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:01 am

tinned wrote:
People slag Macken off for his lack of goals (and yes, he did miss a sitter or two today) but he more than makes up for that with his football brain. Who else would've picked Grigg out so well for the goal?

Ive got to agree with Pedagogue. Couldnt believe Macken got MOTM ahead of Butler.

He didnt "pick out Grigg"

The reason he passed it to Grigg was because he had no other option once he had untangled his legs trying to control the ball. How can you excuse "missing a sitter or two?"

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:04 am

Every single time we missed a good chance the more i felt it just wasn't going to go in for us.

Walker - Did what he had to do which was hardly nothing. Like others have said it was an unreal save even though their player was offside but he wasn't to know.

Westlake - If the next few years he could be an absolutely fantastic full back. He's a great tackler, great marking and he gets forward so often. It's a breath of fresh air in my opinion.
Butler - Best player on the park by a country mile, the bloke is immense and seemed to be enjoying himself here alot. I like the fact that he can have a laugh and a joke with the fans and that he always seems very appreciative to the fans for their support towards him.
Lancashire - Makes his job a hell of a lot easier with Butler alongside him. The two of them are making a strong partnership.
Lescott - Was one of his better game but i still think he's rubbish.

Taundry - Think people are being a little harsh on him to be honest. Should have grabbed himself a goal but i don't think he did much wrong. Not a winger though.
Richards - Same old Richards performance. Kept things moving and i thought he and Gill were great defensively too.
Gill - Thought he was solid through the game and was never really troubled. He can pick a pass out.
Gray - Great performance again. What a run at the end, would have been an unbelievable goal if it had gone in.

Macken - I am very very critical of him but tonight he surprised me alot. Held the ball up brilliantly and was very unlucky with two great efforts in the 1st half. He missed an absolute sitter in the 2nd but i thought he was great today. The more performances he gives like that the better.
Nicholls - Best of have seen him upfront. Like Macken i thought he held the ball up and brought other players in the game very well. It was a great run to set Macken up in the 2nd half too.

Sub : Grigg - He only did 1 thing in 10 minutes and that was win us the game, he can do that every game for me. I think he has the potential to be a really good striker.

If we can carry on consistently putting in solid performances then i have no doubt in my mind that we will be in this league next season. I think Smith in the best thing that could of happened to us and he is doing wonders. Even when we haven't played well under him you can still see the massive difference compared to when CH was boss.

DEAN SMITH'S BARMY ARMY :!: :!:

Graydon48
Glitterati

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:05 am

Strange game really for a 6 pointer it wasn't blood and thunder no yellow cards and I think no physios called on. Dagenham were not as bad as some people say; they defended well and got bodies in the way when they had to. They didn't show much attacking intent but why should they it was us who needed the win more than them.
Great management from Dean Smith keeping Macken on when a lot of people were baying for his blood. I am sure it would have knocked his confidence if Smith had taken him off. Is Macken now rivaling Lescott as the new boo boy?
Great strike from Grigg, great assist by Macken just as it was looking a goal would never come. If we can win at Colchester the Great Escape is surely on.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Dagenham and Redbridge (H) League 1 Tuesady 15/2/11.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:15 am

chestersaddler wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:
HKSaddler wrote:9:28
swiftyboy wrote:Mr Bonser ended any chance of survival months ago MOG. Anyone that thinks otherwise is deluded

9:29
Walsall_fan1992 wrote:YESSS! 1-0 Grigg! Smith is a tactical genius :D

:mrgreen:

Oh! I get it! That goal has just saved our season! We are going up!

Did you mean "staying up" :D :D

No, I meant promotion ;-)

UTS Legend

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:24 am

Guest wrote:Dean Smith's reaction (some of it twice).

http://audioboo.fm/boos/279099-dean-smi ... ce=twitter

DS seems to disagree with Pedagogue (and others) regarding Macken - in this game, anyway!

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:42 am

Guest wrote:

DS seems to disagree with Pedagogue (and others) regarding Macken - in this game, anyway!

He's hardly likely to criticise his own players publicly, now, is he? Only a poor manager would do that (hmmm ... now let's see if I can think of one ... :mrgreen: ). Any manager with a functioning brain cell would only seek to boost his players with public utterances.

Competition:- how many times is the word "fantastic" used in that recording?
N.B. "Fantastic" = "belonging to the realms of fantasy".

kevin
UTS Legend

Re: Dagenham and Redbridge (H) League 1 Tuesday 15/2/11.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:50 am

chestersaddler wrote:
When was the last time the sponsers awarded their MOM to a player that did not score the winner in a 1-0 win? I rest my case :wink:

It was the last time we won 1-0 at wum, when the keeper claimed it :D .

UTS Legend

Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:57 am

Pedagogue wrote:
Guest wrote:

He's hardly likely to criticise his own players publicly, now, is he? Only a poor manager would do that (hmmm ... now let's see if I can think of one ... :mrgreen: ). Any manager with a functioning brain cell would only seek to boost his players with public utterances.

Liked DS's use of the word 'aplomb', though. Not often you hear that in football interviews.

UTS Legend

Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:21 am

Pedagogue wrote:
Guest wrote:

There is a hint of criticism of Macken's performance on Saturday hidden amongst all those 'fantastics'. Dean Smith: "I didn't think Jon was at his best on Saturday."

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:57 am

Loads of chances, a few poor efforts with those chances, but the right team won. D&R were terrible in midfield and attack, but held on well at the back. I thought Taundry was poor first half, but got better in the second. I was disappointed with Nicholls (again), but thought Macken was brilliant at times. He doesn;t really look like he is ever going to score (which is a bit of an issue), but his hold up play was great. Grigg took his goal well, I and many others near me thought it had gone wide at first.

Westlake and Lescott were better (pressure from new signing?) and got forward well at times. Butler was MOTM in my opinion. What a pleasure it is to see passion on the pitch. Someone who, whaen he doesn't win a header - just runs and tries to get the next header and usually does!

A frustrating game at times, but another step in making me believe that maybe....just maybe...

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:53 am

brummie saddler wrote:
Duke wrote:1-0 Grigg

woww, we score one of the biggest goals of the season, and it looks like you have no emotion, c'mon man lets see some smileys and !!!'s

That could be the goal that keeps us up.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:56 am

bleed_red_n_white wrote:How many times have we said now from serveral poster that Butler was immense, this guy is so good for us its unreal, what a player and what a captain, we simply cant afford to lose him in the summer. SIGN HIM UP

I have never seen a loan player put in so much effort he must be our rock to build around next year.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:30 am

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:How many times have we said now from serveral poster that Butler was immense, this guy is so good for us its unreal, what a player and what a captain, we simply cant afford to lose him in the summer. SIGN HIM UP

I have never seen a loan player put in so much effort he must be our rock to build around next year.

Well I dunno where you got that from considering we signed him until the end of the season as a free agent released from Huddersfield.

Mal
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:10 am

Not going to to go through each player as I think we got sucked into there way of playing far too much but as others have said we could have had another 6 goal thriller!

No one has mentioned the ref who I thought was dire I think he gave us one free kick on Macken in the 2nd half after a game which was littered with shirt pulling and blatant obstructions.

Macken could have had a hatrick and he knows it three clear shots on target were hit straight down Roberts throat, either side and a goal would have been scored.

My pet hate nicholls for me had his best game up front and I was fuming when he was subbed, not cos Grigg came on but I would have gone 4-3-3 for the last 10 and removed Taundry who was awful. His reaction to being subbed said it all and I actually still feel it was the wrong decision, following Price's substitution on Saturday, a bit too Hutchings'esque for my liking.

Jimmy was superb, not only for the obvious save but his constant talking, encouragement and confidence he gives the whole team

The rest of the lads played there part, I like Gill as he is quietly effective and it is no coincidence the improvement started with his arrival. A decent Div2/3 cente midfielder playing centre mid! you listening Numpty?

So onwards and upwards but one final note to Deano and Gamble, sign up BUTLER, GREY, GILL AND WALKER NOW on 2yr deals regardless of the division next year as these are the players we can build the future around. Lets not let them slip away to rivals and have to dig around again for gems we have unearthed!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:20 am

Whitti Steve wrote:Loads of chances, a few poor efforts with those chances, but the right team won. D&R were terrible in midfield and attack, but held on well at the back. I thought Taundry was poor first half, but got better in the second. I was disappointed with Nicholls (again), but thought Macken was brilliant at times. He doesn;t really look like he is ever going to score (which is a bit of an issue), but his hold up play was great. Grigg took his goal well, I and many others near me thought it had gone wide at first.

Westlake and Lescott were better (pressure from new signing?) and got forward well at times. Butler was MOTM in my opinion. What a pleasure it is to see passion on the pitch. Someone who, whaen he doesn't win a header - just runs and tries to get the next header and usually does!

A frustrating game at times, but another step in making me believe that maybe....just maybe...

Agree with every word - and also that MoM was between Butler (immense) and Macken for me, with Butler winning it. Macken may have missed a couple of chances (and been desperately unlucky with two more), but the rest of his play and his ability to bring others in was second to none. Nicholls will never make a striker.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:03 pm

Guest wrote:There is a hint of criticism of Macken's performance on Saturday hidden amongst all those 'fantastics'. Dean Smith: "I didn't think Jon was at his best on Saturday."

Macken looked painfully annoyed when he was taken off on Saturday. Whether that was with his own performance, or Smith's decision to take him off, the main thing was that he let his football do the talking last night.

Those who still want to criticise him need to get out there and play football for themselves. Then they might start to realise just how difficult is is to play up front on your own, often with your back to goal. Absolutely everything stuck to Macken last night and he couldn't have done a great deal more with his two best efforts. He'll get a goal soon enough, and I bet it'll either be a complete fluke or a really scrappy one - that's the way these things usually pan out.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:51 pm

Can't wait to tell my dads friend who coached Grigg as a kid that he has potentially scored the goal that could keep us up! :D

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:08 pm

dornansog wrote:
tinned wrote:
People slag Macken off for his lack of goals (and yes, he did miss a sitter or two today) but he more than makes up for that with his football brain. Who else would've picked Grigg out so well for the goal?

Ive got to agree with Pedagogue. Couldnt believe Macken got MOTM ahead of Butler.

The reason he passed it to Grigg was because he had no other option once he had untangled his legs trying to control the ball. How can you excuse "missing a sitter or two?"

We'll have to agree to disagree then mate because IMHO it was a slide rule pass straight into his stride.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:59 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:Can't wait to tell my dads friend who coached Grigg as a kid that he has potentially scored the goal that could keep us up! :D

Who was this for mate?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:05 pm

tinned wrote:
dornansog wrote:
tinned wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree then mate because IMHO it was a slide rule pass straight into his stride.

Indeed, perfect weight, ride into his stride. Still a good finish, but Macken teed it up perfectly

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:32 pm

I was getting frustrated at Macken all night, but the bloke ran his socks off. I agree he has lost his pace, and should on occasion actually shoot instead of pass (he tried to pass it into the net when he rolled one straight at the keeper). His link up play is second to none at this level, the bloke can even make Nicholls look someway half decent, he must be good. :lol:

He also has a very pointy nose.

Oh and i knew it was not going to be a blood and thunder 6 pointer, since when do soft southern teams do that? After 10 mins and Bas Savage was already being frustrated because we had a centre half who could bustle him one back, i knew we were gonna win.

mrbwfc
UTS Regular

Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:07 am

Mal wrote:Not going to to go through each player as I think we got sucked into there way of playing far too much but as others have said we could have had another 6 goal thriller!

No one has mentioned the ref who I thought was dire I think he gave us one free kick on Macken in the 2nd half after a game which was littered with shirt pulling and blatant obstructions.

Macken could have had a hatrick and he knows it three clear shots on target were hit straight down Roberts throat, either side and a goal would have been scored.

My pet hate nicholls for me had his best game up front and I was fuming when he was subbed, not cos Grigg came on but I would have gone 4-3-3 for the last 10 and removed Taundry who was awful. His reaction to being subbed said it all and I actually still feel it was the wrong decision, following Price's substitution on Saturday, a bit too Hutchings'esque for my liking.

Jimmy was superb, not only for the obvious save but his constant talking, encouragement and confidence he gives the whole team

The rest of the lads played there part, I like Gill as he is quietly effective and it is no coincidence the improvement started with his arrival. A decent Div2/3 cente midfielder playing centre mid! you listening Numpty?

So onwards and upwards but one final note to Deano and Gamble, sign up BUTLER, GREY, GILL AND WALKER NOW on 2yr deals regardless of the division next year as these are the players we can build the future around. Lets not let them slip away to rivals and have to dig around again for gems we have unearthed!

U,ve forgot Richards on this he needs an extension he has definatly been player of the season so far

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Re: Dagenham and Redbridge (H) League 1 Tuesady 15/2/11.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:03 am

swiftyboy wrote:
moanin old git wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:I'm not there either, despite a very nice invitation from Percival. I really must get to a game soon ;-)

Praps you could play up front! I think you would have better luck than our current 'strikeforce' this is Dagenham & Redbridge
for clips sake...we should be beatin 'em out of site if we were to stand any chance whatsoever of a miracle escape.

Mr Bonser ended any chance of survival months ago MOG. Anyone that thinks otherwise is deluded

I (and most people that are attending matches must be deluded then).

£50 says we stay up, if you're so sure I'm deluded.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:38 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:
moanin old git wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:I'm not there either, despite a very nice invitation from Percival. I really must get to a game soon ;-)

Praps you could play up front! I think you would have better luck than our current 'strikeforce' this is Dagenham & Redbridge
for clips sake...we should be beatin 'em out of site if we were to stand any chance whatsoever of a miracle escape.

Mr Bonser ended any chance of survival months ago MOG. Anyone that thinks otherwise is deluded

Is that offer also open to non-stayaways?
If it is, I'd be pleased to indulge you.
I'm feeling generous today, so how about £100?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:25 pm

moaning saddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:
moanin old git wrote:

Is that offer also open to non-stayaways?
If it is, I'd be pleased to indulge you.
I'm feeling generous today, so how about £100?

Let's see what swifty says first.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:54 pm

Why is everyone so depressed?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:55 pm

latviancheese wrote:Why is everyone so depressed?

I'm happy.

Ivan Gattuso is still mental, Walsall are winning (ish) and I have a great beard.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:56 pm

This makes it look as though Taundry had a great match!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 400086.stm

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:46 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:This makes it look as though Taundry had a great match!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 400086.stm

That is from a neutral point of view though. Only those "loyal supporters" that love to hate him seem to have such a problem with him. As I said on another thread, the criticism of him the other night was harsh, to say the least. You saw more crosses in that clip than Nicholls has managed all season, yet he's still not good enough.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:17 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Let's see what swifty says first.

Oh dear, the phrase that comes to mind is "All mouth, no trousers". :roll:

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season