Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

A.F.C. Bournemouth (H) League 1 Saturday 12/2/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Darth Vader
Site Addict

Re: A.F.C. Bournemouth (H) League 1 Saturday 12/2/11.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:13 pm

I can take losing to AFCB, obviously a brilliant side who have suddenly hit form on the road just before they played us. Just glad it wasn't 3-0/4-0 because that would have really knocked the players for six and I'd be pretty worried about the Daggers fixture then. To be honest 1-0 is respectable but the 2nd half wasn't good at all, too much hoofball and not enough movement going forward, on another day we could have won 2-1 if you look at it - The Price foul was definitely a penalty and if Richards' shot was just a little lower. That is me being very positive though! :D

Dag & Red on Tuesday is a must win, no excuses.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:16 pm

I agree with KC' s comments regarding the full backs and Richards & Gray. Walker was the other MOM candidate, in my view.

Price and Macken both worked hard up front, but with little end product. We looked most dangerous when Gray had the ball. Nicholls was again mostly anonymous. Gill was OKish.

Lescott has improved in recent weeks but his lack of pace and height are exposed time and time again.

I thought the first half was pretty even. Both sides played decent football. We seemed to be caught cold in the early stages of the second half and just fell asleep for the goal. They created several good chances and we presented them with some even better ones as the game opened up.

Had Richards' free kick bounced the right side of the line right at the death, our 3 hour journey home would have been sweet, however, I honestly feel that on the balance of play, Bournemouth shaded it. For all our huff and puff, we didn't force their 'keeper into a save in the second half, and credit must go to them for that.

They are a decent side, however, they are not 20 places better than us.

Finally, I was really pleased with the ovation our fans gave the players at the end of the match. I am sure the Manager and players appreciated it.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:20 pm

You Reds wrote:I can take losing to AFCB, obviously a brilliant side who have suddenly hit form on the road just before they played us. Just glad it wasn't 3-0/4-0 because that would have really knocked the players for six and I'd be pretty worried about the Daggers fixture then. To be honest 1-0 is respectable but the 2nd half wasn't good at all, too much hoofball and not enough movement going forward, on another day we could have won 2-1 if you look at it - The Price foul was definitely a penalty and if Richards' shot was just a little lower. That is me being very positive though! :D

Not for me it wasn't. I would have been livid if one like that was given against us. Price was looking for it and went down far too easily - the ref was in a good position and was having none of it

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:23 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
You Reds wrote:I can take losing to AFCB, obviously a brilliant side who have suddenly hit form on the road just before they played us. Just glad it wasn't 3-0/4-0 because that would have really knocked the players for six and I'd be pretty worried about the Daggers fixture then. To be honest 1-0 is respectable but the 2nd half wasn't good at all, too much hoofball and not enough movement going forward, on another day we could have won 2-1 if you look at it - The Price foul was definitely a penalty and if Richards' shot was just a little lower. That is me being very positive though! :D

Not for me it wasn't. I would have been livid if one like that was given against us. Price was looking for it and went down far too easily - the ref was in a good position and was having none of it

Hey, I'm only going on what I saw mate.

Looked like the Bournemouth player clipped his heels, maybe he did go down too easy but who doesn't in this day an age!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:25 pm

No problem, just different opinions :D

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:39 pm

chestersaddler wrote:No problem, just different opinions :D

:D

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:00 pm

You Reds wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Looked like the Bournemouth player clipped his heels, maybe he did go down too easy but who doesn't in this day an age!

When was the last time we had a penalty, certainly not this season.

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:10 pm

Graydon48 wrote:
You Reds wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

When was the last time we had a penalty, certainly not this season.

Last that springs to mind is home to Huddersfield in 09/10

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:14 pm

According to DS on Radio dinglescum, we've yet to have one this season.

DS did seem to question the intent of refs based on this. Personally, I reckon its an indictment of the antifootball shite served up by dogface.

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:20 pm

The ref today was laughing at our penalty appeal. There must have been an almighty roar from LF2G because seconds later he looked over at us like he was going to wet himself.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:21 pm

On the football side of things first half was really pleasant viewing, we had a lot of the ball in good areas and probably could of scored on a few occasions, we are fortunate the linos view wasnt blocked as there was 3 players in his way when the player handled it in.

I thought at half time we got a great chance to win here, kicking towards are fans and us being excited by them and us creating a fantastic atmosphere.

Now for the fans. This won't go down well but its how I feel.

A lot more fans there today was nice to see, plenty of rows standing up so I thought game on plenty more willing voices, but for some reason it was poor from our regular section, songs were dying down half way through for no reason, I got the vibe that everyone thought we were no longer in a battle and were safe, we are not,

At half time I couldn't wait to absolutely raise the roof and see home a massive and much needed 3 points, but to my amazment everyone sat down and told me to do the same. I couldn't believe, I know we don't play, but we make a massive difference and we need. To use every strength we have, like I said we are not safe, every game is a cup final.

The thing that completly angered/frustrated/confused me i carnt decide, but when we went a goal down ppl then got off there arses and help the lads to try and get a point

Like I said I know were not the ones scoring the goals but we can make a big difference, let's not forget we are not out of this every game should be a cup final

Got my tin. Hat at the ready

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:33 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
You Reds wrote:The Price foul was definitely a penalty

Totally agree - I'm sorry to say this but Price strikes me as being a bit of a diver (not quite in the Kiegan Parker or Izale McLeod mould yet, though! :mrgreen: ). On more than one occasion, he was far too ready to go to ground. Had he tried to go past his man in that incident, instead of looking to simulate, he might actually have forced the penalty foul.

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:52 pm

brummie saddler wrote:
The thing that completly angered/frustrated/confused me i carnt decide, but when we went a goal down ppl then got off there arses and help the lads to try and get a point

Ya dont need your tin hat because Im not cussing you, this is just my view; the fans were really good first half. They scored 7 minutes into the 2nd half. People were sill wandering back from the toilets/ had a mouth full of pies/ were settling in, etc. Then we kind of picked up the songs a bit quicker when we needed to get behind the team (ie when we were 1 down).

Just my view but I never got the impression we thought we were safe.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:32 pm

For what it's worth (which isn't a lot!) I think Price went down easily. That's always going to be the problem when you're a big bloke; convincing anyone you've been pushed over hard enough to fall.

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:49 pm

I thought a draw would have been a fair reflection of the game. My only concern about this team right now and i don't mean to be a nag but if Jon Macken is a good striker then i'm Lionel Messi. For tuesday i would start Price and Grigg upfront even though Price isn't much better than Macken but he is all we have.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:05 am

yoda wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:
The thing that completly angered/frustrated/confused me i carnt decide, but when we went a goal down people then got off there backsides and help the lads to try and get a point

Ya dont need your tin hat because Im not cussing you, this is just my view; the fans were really good first half. They scored 7 minutes into the 2nd half. People were sill wandering back from the toilets/ had a mouth full of pies/ were settling in, etc. Then we kind of picked up the songs a bit quicker when we needed to get behind the team (ie when we were 1 down).

Just my view but I never got the impression we thought we were safe.

Fair enough, I'm in the middle of the singing section and we have been better at singing when times have been worse and attendance less.

To you the singing may have been ok first half in my opinion it was crap no flowing songs, songs starting off brightly and the dreadfully dying off halfway through. With how many rows of people were standing up today could of so easily have been the best atmosphere of the season but in my opinion I was well below what I expected, I must admit the upper sounded very loud I do love it when the songs are belted out from above

yoda
Site Addict

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:05 am

Really? Am I really going to be the guy to say it? Fine....

Jeff Bonser wrote: if some supporters think that is the wrong way to run a club they should go and support Luton or Bournemouth or Rotherham

:mrgreen:

yoda
Site Addict

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:09 am

brummie saddler wrote: Fair enough, I'm in the middle of the singing section and we have been better at singing when times have been worse and attendance less.

Not to freak you out or anything but I was only a few rows away from you today.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:26 am

yoda wrote:
brummie saddler wrote: Fair enough, I'm in the middle of the singing section and we have been better at singing when times have been worse and attendance less.

Not to freak you out or anything but I was only a few rows away from you today.

Stalker :)

Horozontal Harry
Glitterati

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:51 am

I stopped going to games not because of the Bonser business, but due to the awful football that I heard was being dished up. I said I would be back once it improved - and if I didn't go following the 6-1 Brizzle Rovers drubbing I guess I was never going back!

I thought we matched them in the first half, playing some neat, if not menacing football, most of it coming through Macken. He clearly still has a very sharp footballing brain, but is too slow to be much of a threat. Our most dangerous player ought to be Gray but he got frustrated at times because we couldn't get the ball to him in the right place at the right time. I thought both our full backs were poor, defensively and going forward. Wide players need good full backs to work with as a pair. Where would Pedro have been without Zigor? How many wingers did Marshy help by always looking to feed them a quick ball, either to feet to let them turn, or ahead of them to chase? Going back even further, how effective would Mark Rees' phenomenal pace have been without Kenny Mower or Brian Caswell knowing exactly where to curl the ball for him to run on to. A better left back would help the team defensively and more importantly bring the best out of Gray.

I am not sure what their manager said at half time but they looked a different team after the break, and frankly they should have been four up after about an hour. Butler was dominant in the air, Richards worked hard but seemed to spend an awful lot of his energy chasing back trying to undo the mistakes he was regularly making. Walker made some vital saves in the second half and was my MOTM by a mile. We started to threaten a little in the last 15 mins, and with a bit of luck we could have made them pay for their missed chances but we didn't get the break.

I can't fault any of them for effort, and it was great to see us playing for all 95 minutes, but boy do we need some full backs.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:47 am

Bit of a cliche but he first goal was always going to be massive yesterday. Lancashire could have and Macken should have scored. Decent save from Macken but he had 4/5ths of the goal to aim at so to give the keeper any chance was careless.

When they scored it was always going to be hard for us as they kept a shape and hit us really well on the counter and should have had the game well wrapped up before Richards' last gasp free-kick.

Julian Grey seems to have gone from not giving a hoot to perhaps giving a hoot too many - he could have got sent off yesterday. Agree with others who say that Walker was MOTM and similarly their keeper was their MOTM - which means both sides had a few ifs,buts and maybes.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:13 pm

Judging by the highlights it could have been 4-4?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:25 pm

I don't think either team would have had too many complaints had the game ended in a draw. Ultimately though, when you're at the top of the table, you have the confidence to work a bit of flair into a corner routine and try your luck. That proved to be the difference in an otherwise tight game.

Both fullbacks did, as many others have already said, struggle quite badly. To be fair to them, they had two wingers who were exactly what you want at this level, but we don't half make it tough for ourselves. Whilst on our left, Gray will bust his gut to get back and support Lescott defensively, we get none of that from Nicholls and Westlake is tested time and time again. In the past month or so, Gray has shown that you don't have to be particularly defensive-minded to defend - if only Nicholls had the football brain to see how to do it.

I also thought that we probably saw Dean Smith's first bad decision since he took the manager's job. Macken might not be as mobile as Price, but he doesn't half hold the ball up better. Once Macken had gone off, Price really struggled to lead the line and we were made to rue the absence of a plan B.

On the plus side, Lancashire and Butler looked fairly solid once again. Us not keeping clean sheets isn't because of them, but is because of what goes on around them. They look so much more confident playing in front of Walker than they did playing in front of Brain or Bevan, which is key.

The main thing for Dean Smith to note following the game is that we still need strengthening. Westlake could probably do with being taken out of the firing line, and Nicholls doesn't offer our strikers enough service. It would be good to see a different option up front too, but I guess Byfield is seen as that when he returns.

The atmosphere inside the ground was really positive and there were a fair few people queuing for the '2 for £25' tickets, which should bode well for what is our biggest game of the season so far on Tuesday.

Atomic Rooster
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:25 pm

My first game since tranmere home and the only thing i did not enjoyed was the result we gave 100% and thats you can ask for.There was a side that was organised and macken,gray,was totally different players to what ive seen if we go down thats go down fighting ive got the bug back

Lone Striker

Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:14 am

WFC_Rob wrote:I don't think either team would have had too many complaints had the game ended in a draw. Ultimately though, when you're at the top of the table, you have the confidence to work a bit of flair into a corner routine and try your luck. That proved to be the difference in an otherwise tight game.

Both fullbacks did, as many others have already said, struggle quite badly. To be fair to them, they had two wingers who were exactly what you want at this level, but we don't half make it tough for ourselves. Whilst on our left, Gray will bust his gut to get back and support Lescott defensively, we get none of that from Nicholls and Westlake is tested time and time again. In the past month or so, Gray has shown that you don't have to be particularly defensive-minded to defend - if only Nicholls had the football brain to see how to do it.

I also thought that we probably saw Dean Smith's first bad decision since he took the manager's job. Macken might not be as mobile as Price, but he doesn't half hold the ball up better. Once Macken had gone off, Price really struggled to lead the line and we were made to rue the absence of a plan B.

On the plus side, Lancashire and Butler looked fairly solid once again. Us not keeping clean sheets isn't because of them, but is because of what goes on around them. They look so much more confident playing in front of Walker than they did playing in front of Brain or Bevan, which is key.

The main thing for Dean Smith to note following the game is that we still need strengthening. Westlake could probably do with being taken out of the firing line, and Nicholls doesn't offer our strikers enough service. It would be good to see a different option up front too, but I guess Byfield is seen as that when he returns.

The atmosphere inside the ground was really positive and there were a fair few people queuing for the '2 for £25' tickets, which should bode well for what is our biggest game of the season so far on Tuesday.

That is the way I saw it as well, the Macken substitution was a poor decision and I don't understand why Paterson was not given 20 minutes replacing an ineffective Nicholls, who just does not provide anything at the moment. To move forward and give us a chance of staying up we should look at getting in a minimum of two players, a full back better than what we have to improve us defensively and a wide player that could create something for our strikers, with an unlimited budget also a striker, however, if as he reckons Byfield is only a couple of weeks away that may be the answer.
Things have improved over the last month, however, we need better quality than we currently have to have a chance of staying up.

AFCBinpeace

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:12 am

Thought I'd throw my 2p in here.

We weren't as good as we have been (earlier in the season) but were grinding out results which we seem to do alot of recently. First Half I thought our keeper and your posts kept the game goalless. We were stunned by some of Jalal's saves (one where he almost scraped it out the net to flick it round whilst diving from the opposite corner). Quite funny really, our goal came from a corner routine our fans had spoke about all week because we hadn't scored from it recently. We often have a full back charge in to hit the ball, for some reason Symes decided to bang it home this time, but its a well rehearsed well used set piece that often catches defences out. From our end it looked like the free kick was destined to go in what with the ref playing 15mins of 5 added on. (speaking of which, all the officials seemed to be blind inconsistant)

I thought you played quite well, certainly had me worried a few times. The tall striker with the Afro...Price? looked quite useful, as did your left Winger (#18?) however I think he was also the guy who should have been sent off for your lot for being a tempremental sod late on. If you play that well often enough you should be fine to stay up, by far not the worst team I've seen this season.

adda123

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:04 am

a good performance but could have done more how about when in or around the 18 yard box having a shot at goal instead of passing u never know it might suprise the keeper it will be a tough game on tues nite

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:40 am

AFCBinpeace wrote:I think he was also the guy who should have been sent off for your lot for being a tempremental sod late on.

Sent off?!

I'd have thought all that sea air would do your mind some good. He got the booking he deserved, but a sending off? He was wasting time for us if anything.

Mal
UTS Veteran

Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:00 am

Wyrley_saddler wrote:I thought that was a shocking performance. By far the worst under Smith. In all honesty, it was like having Hutchings back. The majority of the time we couldn't string 2 passes together. Going forward we were poor,Bournemouth soaked up all the pressure with ease. We quickly ran out of ideas and too many times we resulted to hoofball. It clearly looked as if there was no plan B.

Defensively we were poor. Sliced open too many times and we can't defend set pieces to save our lives. The midfield were often caught out of position which led to the Bournemouth midfielders being able to run at our defence unchallenged.

I don't think we deserved anything out of the game, even though we should've had a penalty for the foul on Price. The substitutions were also questionable. As someone mentioned above, why Taundry!?

My man of the match was Wacka. Without him today we would've been 3 or 4 down!

Just thought I would catch up on opinions from Saturdays game and read this drivel! It was a cracking match which always looked like one goal would win it. Arguably the best move of the day resulted in a goal but we equally could have won with hitting the bar twice and having a nailed on penalty ignored.

Horozontal Harry
Glitterati

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:57 am

4143 wrote:
AFCBinpeace wrote:I think he was also the guy who should have been sent off for your lot for being a tempremental sod late on.

Sent off?!

I'd have thought all that sea air would do your mind some good. He got the booking he deserved, but a sending off? He was wasting time for us if anything.

From where I was at the final whistle I thought Gray had singled out the guy he had fouled earlier and walked over to shake hands with him. The player and one of his team mates took exception to this for some reason and started off the handbags - totally uncalled for after what had been a well contested game.

If anyone should had been sent off it was their cheat who was booked for clearly punching the ball into the net. Following that he handled the ball another twice and also deliberately trundled off the pitch after being substituted, slower than a turkey walking up Bernard Matthews' drive on Christmas Eve.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season