Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

A.F.C. Bournemouth (H) League 1 Saturday 12/2/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Neuromantic
Site Addict

Re: A.F.C. Bournemouth (H) League 1 Saturday 12/2/11.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:50 pm

Statistically given our position and results this season - I think we may just lose this unfortunately.

However, I would love to be proven wrong.

I just worry about the last 6 games - we need to get as many points on board as possible by then.

1-2.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:43 pm

A draw or narrow defeat - oh, what the hell, a 1-1 draw. Crowd: 3,695 including 437 from Bournemouth.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:10 pm

I think we have reason to be confident going into this home match. We should have got something from Huddersfield, we could have snatched a win against Oldham and we are coming off the back of 7 points from nine and ten goals scored in the last three.

I'd like us to keep a clean sheet, but think a score-draw is more likely. We need to be winning our home games - the performances against Oldham and Huddersfield show that we have nothing to fear if we can tighten up at the back. It'll be our form at the Bescot which keeps us up or condemns us. All of a sudden our fixture list until we play Brentford on 12th April looks stock-full of winnable games.

Horozontal Harry
Glitterati

Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:02 pm

I predict a 2-1 victory to the Saddlers.

At half time on the pitch Evo Boozy Saddler will denounce the evils of chemical lagers, and whilst gently savouring a pint of Abbot Ale ,abv 5%, (in a glass with a handle on it) accepts the position of lifetime Chairman of CAMRA, followed by a three day celebratory induction at the Black Country Arms.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:47 pm

brummie saddler wrote:
Evo Boozy Saddler wrote:Walsall 2 Bournemouth 2.

brummie saddler to wave a bunch of flowers around whilst chanting "we are staying up"

haha and where the f*** has that come from the chances of that are more lickley when i recieve that pint you owe me :)

saturday is going to be another great day, with another early beer start and lots of singing and lots of oals for us. UTS

Might get ya a pint on Saturday fella :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Horozontal Harry wrote:I predict a 2-1 victory to the Saddlers.

At half time on the pitch Evo Boozy Saddler will denounce the evils of chemical lagers, and whilst gently savouring a pint of Abbot Ale ,abv 5%, (in a glass with a handle on it) accepts the position of lifetime Chairman of CAMRA, followed by a three day celebratory induction at the Black Country Arms.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Thats a position I will hold one day. The induction will be at Club X though 8)
Last edited by Evo Boozy Saddler on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:23 pm

Walsall 3-1 Bournemouth.
Nicholls
Gray
Price

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Re: A.F.C. Bournemouth (H) League 1 Saturday 12/2/11.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:25 am

Deano_Saddler wrote:Walsall 3-1 Bournemouth.
Nicholls
Gray
Price

Copy cat/great minds ;)

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:54 pm

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:47 pm

1-1, Jules the hitman - I hope.

Fear 1-2 though, but it wouldn't be disasterous if the performance is good and we can overturn the kings of essex on Tuesday

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:26 am

What the stayaways won't be doing...

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:14 am

I'll definalty take a draw today.

2-2 Price and Macken. 4100 there

rusky
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:29 am

I'm going for a draw, 1-1 with 5001 in attendance!!

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:27 pm

Exile wrote:What the stayaways won't be doing...

Mmmmmmm, could think of better things to do than rub that, lol...

bescotheaven

Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:57 pm

Attendance: 4103

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:30 pm

moanin old git wrote:Where is everybody? surely can't ALL be at the match!
Just got in to find that we are losing as expected, but not ONE comment on here today!
according to the BBC they are all over us now, and expect to increase the lead substantially..still never mind 'eh there is
always D & R on Tuesday.

I thought the same thing MOG!

Louise
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:37 pm

Enjoyed the game ,just not the result.
Bournemouth are a well organized team and can easily see why they are near the top.
We had our chances partic in the dying minute but then they hit the bar as well early on.
Feel a draw would have been a fair result but this makes Tuesday Night even more important.
The Team def play better under Smith and he had at least shows an understanding that Hutchings never did - just worry its all come too late.
Still onward we go - great support today from the Crowd and the proverbial 6 pointer to come.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:48 pm

Decent performance. For me, the full backs are now the weak link. Plus we lost the ability to hold the ball in their half with the departure of Macken.

Richards and Gray were excellent.

Richard Taundry: why?

Grigg deserved a penalty. We deserved a point. As the cliche goes, we've played worse than that and won. As another cliche goes, if we play like that for the remainder of the season, we'll be OK.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:02 pm

Any faint hopes of stopping up will disappear unless we can learn to defend set peices. A point would have been a fair result but yet again undone at a set piece.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:16 pm

I thought that was a shocking performance. By far the worst under Smith. In all honesty, it was like having Hutchings back. The majority of the time we couldn't string 2 passes together. Going forward we were poor,Bournemouth soaked up all the pressure with ease. We quickly ran out of ideas and too many times we resulted to hoofball. It clearly looked as if there was no plan B.

Defensively we were poor. Sliced open too many times and we can't defend set pieces to save our lives. The midfield were often caught out of position which led to the Bournemouth midfielders being able to run at our defence unchallenged.

I don't think we deserved anything out of the game, even though we should've had a penalty for the foul on Price. The substitutions were also questionable. As someone mentioned above, why Taundry!?

My man of the match was Wacka. Without him today we would've been 3 or 4 down!

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:23 pm

Sad to lose, having sworn to significant excess in the 6th minute of injury time.

We just about deserved a point overall, as I reckon we were the better team in the first half against a very good side and were unlucky not to be one up at HT. Unfortunately, we came out of the blocks like an arthritic ant in the 100m for the second, and duely handed the initiative to a team who were unlikely to hand it back. We should have been buried in the 2nd and their fans would have probably exceeded my profanities if Richards had actually netted.

Tuesday night is so critical. If we dont get the result, I'd fear the spirit that they are playing with under Smith might drain away.

COME ON YOU SADDLERS

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:51 pm

Spirited performance against a team brim full of confidence. We deserved a draw - if only the last kick of the game had gone in! Hit the bar and bounced down, Butler I think headed high and wide with a difficult chance.

Bring on the Daggers!

Ps - Cherries exultant and relieved at the final whistle which shows just how far we have come with Smith. Entertaining game and we gave our all. Huge progress being made. UTS!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:55 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:I thought that was a shocking performance. By far the worst under Smith. In all honesty, it was like having Hutchings back. The majority of the time we couldn't string 2 passes together. Going forward we were poor,Bournemouth soaked up all the pressure with ease. We quickly ran out of ideas and too many times we resulted to hoofball. It clearly looked as if there was no plan B.

Defensively we were poor. Sliced open too many times and we can't defend set pieces to save our lives. The midfield were often caught out of position which led to the Bournemouth midfielders being able to run at our defence unchallenged.

I don't think we deserved anything out of the game, even though we should've had a penalty for the foul on Price. The substitutions were also questionable. As someone mentioned above, why Taundry!?

Different game?

Bournemouth were strong and we did our best to break them down. If we play anything like that on Tuesday we will win. Exposed by quick breaks only after going 1-0 down and going for an equaliser, exactly where Bournemouth wanted us, but such are the breaks when playing against a very capable attacking team. Wacka did do well. Taundry didn't have his best outing. Bring on the Daggers!

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:12 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Wyrley_saddler wrote:I thought that was a shocking performance. By far the worst under Smith. In all honesty, it was like having Hutchings back. The majority of the time we couldn't string 2 passes together. Going forward we were poor,Bournemouth soaked up all the pressure with ease. We quickly ran out of ideas and too many times we resulted to hoofball. It clearly looked as if there was no plan B.

Different game?

Bournemouth were strong and we did our best to break them down. If we play anything like that on Tuesday we will win. Exposed by quick breaks only after going 1-0 down and going for an equaliser, exactly where Bournemouth wanted us, but such are the breaks when playing against a very capable attacking team. Wacka did do well. Taundry didn't have his best outing. Bring on the Daggers!

Seems that everyone where I sat watched a different game to everyone else. All I heard all game from behine me were people shouting "Get in on the floor, stop hoofing it". Although, i'll be honest, it was said it abit stronger language than that!

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:18 pm

I havent been for a few months due to the insane cost of a new house, but after attending today I think Ive got the bug back.

Almost everything is better since the club stank of death a few months back; the crowd were singing, there was an atmosphere even when we went behind, the team were trying and looked remotely organised (although the goal deflated them, I did wonder at half time how the hell they were in the relegation zone. They were pretty immense in the first half), the substitutes made sense and the experience was genuinely fun rather than like a mundane routine I'd found Bescot in the past few years to be honest.
When the final whistle went I felt sick like somebody had kicked me in the stomach. I havent felt that way about a Walsall loss in quite some time.

Sod the new digs, Im going to beg, borrow and steal to get some funds to attend on Tuesday!

RobboH89
Glitterati

Location: Waiting for confirmation of League 1 Survival! Bring It On!

Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:29 pm

Today was, all in all, a decent enough performance and the fair result would have been a draw, but sadly that didn't happen.
If we play like we did today, we should win on Tuesday fairly comfortably. But life is never easy is it?

Walker - Had a decent game, had one shot in the first half fired at him with plenty of swerve, made a good save, and kept us in the game countless time with his saves in 1 on 1 situations.
Westlake - Didn't do much wrong, good to see him getting up and down.
Lescott - Was our weak link, Bournemouth were targeting him all game, but did ok.
Butler - Captain Fantastic, forced their keeper into making a full stretch save, make a couple of errors, but good game again.
Lancashire - Did ok again, looks to be settling next to Butler.
Nicholls - Ran his socks off, chased, not much chance to shoot.
Gray - Ran at defenders, chased back, looked pumped up for this one. Lucky not to be sent off firstly for raising his hands to a player on the floor, and for after the final whistle. Impressed today
Richards - His usual game, some good interlinking between defence and attack, some errors, freekick off crossbar with last kick of game - UNLUCKY!
Gill - Didn't get much out of the game, but decent enough performance.
Macken - Kept trying to many flicks which gave Bournemouth the ball too often, held ball up well, no end product though! Needs to shoot more when chance is there!
Price - Physical presence, unlucky to hit the bar.

Subs:

Grigg - Unlucky not to have a penalty, had minimal impact.
Taundry - Made one burst down the right, good cross. That is all - not his best performance.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:59 pm

Robbo- "Westlake didn't do much wrong." He was given the rub around by their no.7 all afternoon. Not great at all today.

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:08 pm

King Crimson wrote: He was given the rub around by their no.7 all afternoon.

Kinky.

By the way, anyone notice the picture in the programme today comparing Jason Price to Don Goodman - seemingly on the similarity of there hair??

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:15 pm

Can't help but feel a little disappointed , but if we continue to play like the way we are we'll be ok.

RobboH89
Glitterati

Location: Waiting for confirmation of League 1 Survival! Bring It On!

Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:23 pm

King Crimson wrote:Robbo- "Westlake didn't do much wrong." He was given the rub around by their no.7 all afternoon. Not great at all today.

Ok bit off with that one, but going forward he was good?

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:11 pm

My first game for a while and i'm a bit disappointed by the result. However, I think the performance justifies a certain amount of hope that we'll at least go down fighting. You can see why Bournemouth are where they are - they do the basics well and but for Walker, they really could've won by more.

Walker - my MOTM. Generally solid, kept us in with a shout with 3 or 4 good saves
Westlake - positive going forward, shaky at times at the back. Suffers a fair bit as Nicholls' attacking instinct means that he neglects his defensive duties, leaving Westlake somwhat exposed
Butler - commanding, but with a few errors thrown in for good measure
Lancashire - seems to benefit from the presence of Butler alongside him. Not entirely comfortable but certainly the best option of the 3 vying for the place, in my opinion
Lescott - an improvement on previous performances i've seen, but still a (the?) weak link, run ragged for most of the afternoon. Can attack to good effect but is poor in defence
Nicholls - growing into the wide role but still not making the best of his assets. Needs to do more to isolate his full back as i'd fancy him in a foot race over most defenders at our level
Gill - i'll admit to being a tad disappointed. Having read the rave views he's been getting, I was expecting more. Still, got involved and was generally solid
Richards - as usual, got involved. Always looking for the ball and did more good than bad things. However, I do find him frustratingly one-paced and his unwillingness to tackle, even when the odds are seemingly in his favour, doesn't do him any favours
Gray - I don't know whether he is playing for a move elsewhere, as others have suggested, but it certainly is to our benefit at present. Looks really hungry again, although the whole 'toys out of the pram' moment during the game and after the final whistle was all a bit unnecessary
Macken - put himself about to good effect, but needs to cut out the flicks when a more simple ball to feet would suffice. His head did seem to drop prior to his substitution but i'd still back him to have an influence on us (hopefully) making a real fist of staying up
Price - busy, again puts himself about without ever really looking like scoring (the header against the post aside). Made space for others which wasn't really taken advantage of

Subs:
Grigg - probably the right decision to bring him on for Macken, but didn't really take advantage of the opportunity. Didn't really get involved enough in the game for me
Taundry - the decision to bring him on mystified me. Taking off Price left us with no physical presence up front. Contributed little, and disrupted the whole shape of the team. Maybe that was Smith's plan B but for me, it just didn't work

So, definitely a performance that suggests some hope for the remainder of the season, yet still disappointing in the fact we came away with nothing. A sign of how far we've come under Smith, I suppose.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season