Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Carlisle United (A) League 1 Saturday 5/2/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
HKSaddler
the "fececious" one

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:04 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
HKSaddler wrote:Let's not forget that almost no one thought we would go to Carlisle and win.

Have a look on page 1 HK :wink:

Lol. I see 3 2-1 wins and some 1-1 draws. I generally expect that people who expect us to lose not to predict but to hope. Anyway, a great result and we certainly have a chance to stay up now, even if it still looks difficult. Go on you saddlers!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: Carlisle United (A) League 1 Saturday 5/2/11.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:08 pm

HKSaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
HKSaddler wrote:Let's not forget that almost no one thought we would go to Carlisle and win.

Have a look on page 1 HK :wink:

Lol. I see 3 2-1 wins and some 1-1 draws. I generally expect that people who expect us to lose not to predict but to hope. Anyway, a great result and we certainly have a chance to stay up now, even if it still looks difficult. Go on you saddlers!

I had a bit of 7/2 with Skybet. Ahead of the handicapper as they say :D

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:14 pm

results went for us as well. We're up to 22nd :D

Forget the rovers result, they'r in all sorts of trouble. THIS is result of the season by a mile. Well done Saddlers. and a round of appluase to those that made the tip today. I'm off to get DRUNK

Louise
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:17 pm

Totally agree - great result and fantastic for the loyal Fans who travelled to Carlisle.
I am actually looking foward to Saturday's game for the first time in ages - that is a new feeling this Season.
Well done to all concerned - bring on the Cherries.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:18 pm

Fantastic result; well done Dean smith for giving us some hope. I now hope that we have a few more attend every match till the end of the season, home and away.

Can't see any reason for anyone to stay away :wink:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:34 pm

Non stop singing again from the faithful, gonna enjoy my pub meal here in Carlisle tonight. Bloody food day out x

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:36 pm

Err should read good day out, blummin spellcheck

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:36 pm

Cully wrote:Fantastic result; well done Dean smith for giving us some hope. I now hope that we have a few more attend every match till the end of the season, home and away.

EPIC win. FACT. :D

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:45 pm

Thats 10! goals scored in our last 3 games only conceeding 3! What a turnaround ... I'm seriously worried about Smith, if he keeps us up and in style whats the chances of him still being our manager next season ? If there are any bigger teams in the hunt for a manager of course.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:51 pm

We'm right back in it-4 points off safety and with a run building. There are still plenty of teams who with a bad run could get sucked back into this.

Well done the lads and those who made the trip up: we can do this! UTS

SWS1

Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:01 pm

Cully wrote:Fantastic result; well done Dean smith for giving us some hope. I now hope that we have a few more attend every match till the end of the season, home and away.

Sadly, some will not go back to contribute to the BPF (last word is Fund - fill in the rest yourself).
But the "I'm not coming back with the Muppet in charge" and "Not until we see some fight and football" brigade may be tempted back!
Great result today - and what a nice little run! Confidence breeds confidence.
UTS!
:D

Jockey
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:09 pm

WE HAD 14 SHOTS AT GOAL TODAY!! :shock: :shock:

I dont think we had that many efforts at goal in all of Hutch's reign

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:21 pm

It was a bit Wimbledon offa 1980's v Barca today, they lumped it up and we counterd at pace with a little help from "Messi" Richards. Thought Lescott had his best game for us and Gray should of had a hatfull x. Well played

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:22 pm

Cheesebag wrote:It was a bit Wimbledon offa 1980's v Barca today, they lumped it up and we counterd at pace with a little help from "Messi" Richards. Thought Lescott had his best game for us and Gray should of had a hatfull x. Well played

I bet Richards didn't really have a good game. Could you confirm this through muchos fotographicas?

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:32 pm

I can certainly send photos Gaz but they wouldn't be of the match xxx

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:49 pm

:D Brilliant!

Thats the best 90 minutes ive seen Walsall play for ages!

Great team performance, all worked for each other. Special mention to Julian Gray, Butler, Nicholls and Gill who i thought were all great today. Butler or Gray for my MoM. Neither keeper had many saves to make though, think we must have scored all of our shot on target because i dont remember their keeper doing anything.
What a difference to the style of football aswell, everythings on the floor now.

Walker - Did what he had to do, which wasnt that much. Pulled off a great save in injury time though which would have put us under a lot of pressure if they'd have scored.
Westlake - Did well, looked good going foward aswell.
Lancashire - Did well too, looks more solid than Manny Smith did when i last saw him play.
Butler - Won everything in the air today, and made a few important tackles too. Great leader, get him signed up for next season now!
Lescott - Best ive seen him play. Made a few errors when he tried to pass the ball out of defence and gave the ball away towards the end of the game too. He looked good going foward at times too. But today also showed that we need a left footed left back because this is what let him down most.
Taundry - I dont know if he was meant to be playing in the right or in the middle. Very quiet, but put the cross in for the first goal i think.
Richards - anonymous today. Didnt really get on the ball. Gave the ball away often when he did get it. Definatly our worst player today(..and im not part of the anti-Richards group either)
Gray - brilliant. He was everywhere in the second half. Left wing, Right wing, through the middle. He linked up well with Nicholls at times aswell. When ive seen him before he's not being bothered but today showed what he can do and what the team can do when they get the ball on the floor.
Macken - held the ball up well at times. He seemed too hesitant to shoot though. When we were 3 up the ball came across to him in the area and instead of hitting it first time he took a touch and lost it.
Nicholls - again, another one who was good today. His touch let him down a few times, but he chased everything and deserved a goal, i thought.

Marshall - strange substitution i thought, I'd have taken off Richards instead of Gill, but then again, im not the manager. but when he came on he got foward a few times. Did what he had to/
Grigg - didnt have a lot of time to do much.

Well done to all the Saddlers who made the long trip up here aswell. Singing all the way through the game.

Up the Sadlers! :D

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:55 pm

Cheers for the report Cumbria-Sadler.

A fantastic result

The great escape is on!!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:24 pm

A tremendous result.

Maybe we are not doomed after all :D

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:26 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Good luck to Man U tonight. The second of only two times per season I want them to win.

You'll be disappointed tonight then.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:29 pm

133 Saddlers in Cumbria today.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:13 pm

An excellent performance to go to Carlisle and come away with 3 points.
And in the process score another 3 goals.
Pity about not keeping a clean sheet though! :lol:

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:43 pm

Once again i take my hat off to Deano and the lads , fantastic result .

Pangloss Saddler

Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:46 pm

Today we witnessed the phenomenal power of positive thinking.
The fans,the team, and the management were as one - everyone showed true belief and purpose.
Even the late concession of a goal can be seen as a positive - the players were in pursuit of further goals and were not content to sit on a three goal cushion.
Be assured that everything will turn out well - even Mr Hutchings is now in a better place.
Welcome aboard the Believers Express.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:52 pm

cumbria-saddler wrote::D Brilliant!

Thats the best 90 minutes ive seen Walsall play for ages!

Great team performance, all worked for each other. Special mention to Julian Gray, Butler, Nicholls and Gill who i thought were all great today. Butler or Gray for my MoM. Neither keeper had many saves to make though, think we must have scored all of our shot on target because i dont remember their keeper doing anything.
What a difference to the style of football aswell, everythings on the floor now.

Walker - Did what he had to do, which wasnt that much. Pulled off a great save in injury time though which would have put us under a lot of pressure if they'd have scored.
Westlake - Did well, looked good going foward aswell.
Lancashire - Did well too, looks more solid than Manny Smith did when i last saw him play.
Butler - Won everything in the air today, and made a few important tackles too. Great leader, get him signed up for next season now!
Lescott - Best ive seen him play. Made a few errors when he tried to pass the ball out of defence and gave the ball away towards the end of the game too. He looked good going foward at times too. But today also showed that we need a left footed left back because this is what let him down most.
Taundry - I dont know if he was meant to be playing in the right or in the middle. Very quiet, but put the cross in for the first goal i think.
Richards - anonymous today. Didnt really get on the ball. Gave the ball away often when he did get it. Definatly our worst player today(..and im not part of the anti-Richards group either)
Gray - brilliant. He was everywhere in the second half. Left wing, Right wing, through the middle. He linked up well with Nicholls at times aswell. When ive seen him before he's not being bothered but today showed what he can do and what the team can do when they get the ball on the floor.
Macken - held the ball up well at times. He seemed too hesitant to shoot though. When we were 3 up the ball came across to him in the area and instead of hitting it first time he took a touch and lost it.
Nicholls - again, another one who was good today. His touch let him down a few times, but he chased everything and deserved a goal, i thought.

Marshall - strange substitution i thought, I'd have taken off Richards instead of Gill, but then again, im not the manager. but when he came on he got foward a few times. Did what he had to/
Grigg - didnt have a lot of time to do much.

Well done to all the Saddlers who made the long trip up here aswell. Singing all the way through the game.

Up the Sadlers! :D

This is pretty much the way I saw todays game, so a very good summary from Cumbria_saddler.

I think the reason for taking Gill off was more to do with his fitness levels rather than his performance.

Also, special mention to Deano's tactical changes. We switched to a 4-4-2 diamond in the second half which worked a treat.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:00 pm

Great result, made me very happy.

Locky
Glitterati

Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:03 pm

Yep, pretty much how I saw it as well. Pretty much spot on summary.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:58 am

Pangloss Saddler wrote:Today we witnessed the phenomenal power of positive thinking.
The fans,the team, and the management were as one - everyone showed true belief and purpose.
Even the late concession of a goal can be seen as a positive - the players were in pursuit of further goals and were not content to sit on a three goal cushion.
Be assured that everything will turn out well - even Mr Hutchings is now in a better place.
Welcome aboard the Believers Express.

TOOT TOOT!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:25 am

Story now on the front page. There's also a poll.

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... o-believe/

UTS Legend

Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:28 am

Amazing stuff! Couldn't follow it live due to a 14-hour power cut here in Kathmandu.

How I wish I'd gone back to the UK during Chinese New Year (i.e. now) rather than at Christmas.
I would have seen 10 goals and 7 points, rather than the no goals, no points, no games the Christmas freeze had to offer.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Re: Carlisle United (A) League 1 Saturday 5/2/11.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:56 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:An excellent performance to go to Carlisle and come away with 3 points.
And in the process score another 3 goals.
Pity about not keeping a clean sheet though! :lol:

You joke but Smith and Whitney were going mad when the goal.was conceded, that's the difference.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season