Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Carlisle United (A) League 1 Saturday 5/2/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Re: Carlisle United (A) League 1 Saturday 5/2/11.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:01 am

Wyrley_saddler wrote:
cumbria-saddler wrote::D Brilliant!

Thats the best 90 minutes ive seen Walsall play for ages!

Great team performance, all worked for each other. Special mention to Julian Gray, Butler, Nicholls and Gill who i thought were all great today. Butler or Gray for my MoM. Neither keeper had many saves to make though, think we must have scored all of our shot on target because i dont remember their keeper doing anything.
What a difference to the style of football aswell, everythings on the floor now.

Walker - Did what he had to do, which wasnt that much. Pulled off a great save in injury time though which would have put us under a lot of pressure if they'd have scored.
Westlake - Did well, looked good going foward aswell.
Lancashire - Did well too, looks more solid than Manny Smith did when i last saw him play.
Butler - Won everything in the air today, and made a few important tackles too. Great leader, get him signed up for next season now!
Lescott - Best ive seen him play. Made a few errors when he tried to pass the ball out of defence and gave the ball away towards the end of the game too. He looked good going foward at times too. But today also showed that we need a left footed left back because this is what let him down most.
Taundry - I dont know if he was meant to be playing in the right or in the middle. Very quiet, but put the cross in for the first goal i think.
Richards - anonymous today. Didnt really get on the ball. Gave the ball away often when he did get it. Definatly our worst player today(..and im not part of the anti-Richards group either)
Gray - brilliant. He was everywhere in the second half. Left wing, Right wing, through the middle. He linked up well with Nicholls at times aswell. When ive seen him before he's not being bothered but today showed what he can do and what the team can do when they get the ball on the floor.
Macken - held the ball up well at times. He seemed too hesitant to shoot though. When we were 3 up the ball came across to him in the area and instead of hitting it first time he took a touch and lost it.
Nicholls - again, another one who was good today. His touch let him down a few times, but he chased everything and deserved a goal, i thought.

Marshall - strange substitution i thought, I'd have taken off Richards instead of Gill, but then again, im not the manager. but when he came on he got foward a few times. Did what he had to/
Grigg - didnt have a lot of time to do much.

Well done to all the Saddlers who made the long trip up here aswell. Singing all the way through the game.

Up the Sadlers! :D

This is pretty much the way I saw todays game, so a very good summary from Cumbria_saddler.

I think the reason for taking Gill off was more to do with his fitness levels rather than his performance.

Also, special mention to Deano's tactical changes. We switched to a 4-4-2 diamond in the second half which worked a treat.

Gill been taken off a few times because he's not fully match fit. Good management again.

However, I don't like Cumbria's suggestion that Richards should have been taken off...scandalous! ;)

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Re: Carlisle United (A) League 1 Saturday 5/2/11.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:16 pm

Oh and just a quick mention for Andy Butler. At the full time whistle he made all the players come across to the away fans, even though some were already heading down the tunnel!

mrbwfc
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:33 pm

Brilliant performance by everybody julian gray played his best game for us by a mile.

Big thanx to Andy Butler(should be made club captain) his attitude to everything to do with the club is fantastic shows how much he likes being here 2year contract for him now please

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Re: Re: Carlisle United (A) League 1 Saturday 5/2/11.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:35 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:An excellent performance to go to Carlisle and come away with 3 points.
And in the process score another 3 goals.
Pity about not keeping a clean sheet though! :lol:

You joke but Smith and Whitney were going mad when the goal.was conceded, that's the difference.

One goal in 03/04 cost us, of course. We MUST start keeping clean sheets.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:37 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Oh and just a quick mention for Andy Butler. At the full time whistle he made all the players come across to the away fans, even though some were already heading down the tunnel!

I've noticed that at home games it's Ricoh that is the first (and sometimes only) player to come over and applaud the fans. (Must be to thank Phil for his undying support :D ).

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:47 pm

tinned wrote:
Wyrley_saddler wrote:Oh and just a quick mention for Andy Butler. At the full time whistle he made all the players come across to the away fans, even though some were already heading down the tunnel!

I've noticed that at home games it's Ricoh that is the first (and sometimes only) player to come over and applaud the fans. (Must be to thank Phil for his undying support :D ).

The class of Matt Richards on the pitch is matched by his ability to love those off the field!

MRAS over-and-out.

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season