Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Notts County (A) League 1 Wednesday 2/2/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Hed Kandi

Re: Notts County (A) League 1 Wednesday 2/2/11.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:55 pm

Ok maybe 5th :wink:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:57 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Hed Kandi wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:
Hed Kandi wrote:
Exile wrote:Great to see a leveller at the death. BBC stats say we were under the cosh for most of the match.

I disagree with that.

Radio Notts have just said ' A proper relegation battle and Walsall played well and made it difficult for Notts. We kept going and teams will struggle against us playing like that' (not sure what teams but thats what they have said!)

Great point - another building block on our survival bid although we are still bottom :(

Rome wasnt built in a day, we aint down yet! :mrgreen:

I know! Makes the rest of the season exciting (i hope) - I'd take 4th from bottom :wink:

I wouldn't :shock: :shock:

:lol:

Hed Kandi must be a closet premiership fan!!

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:58 pm

Hed Kandi wrote:Ok maybe 5th :wink:

Now your being a little over ambitious!! :wink:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:01 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:

Hed Kandi must be a closet premiership fan!!

[Andy Gray Mode] Or a girl [Andy Gray mode] :wink:

Scottie_H
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:02 pm

What will happen will happen

What matters is we are making a fight of it now

Up The Saddlers

yoda
Site Addict

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:03 pm

We feel like a football team again - We're picking up points, not going down predictably every game.

If only we'd become a football team again slightly earlier this season.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:03 pm

Up the saddlers.

Points away from home and wins at home.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:04 pm

Decent point, but a very poor second half. We lost all control and time on the ball without Gill. Taundry was busy but not match fit. Lost a lot when the tiring Price and Macken went off. Good point in the end because we didn't deserve it based on the second 45, but three unbeaten and another late equaliser.

Good to see lots of old faces too.

m&m
Glitterati

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Well done to dean smith and the boys.A great away point under normal circumstances.
Bonser has made our survival almost impossible tough with his misguided support of Hutch!

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:11 pm

Agree with jorge. And regarding points. Yes a win would have been great this time last week we were 9 adrift and now we are 7.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:12 pm

m&m wrote:Bonser has made our survival almost impossible tough with his misguided support of Hutch!

Oh yes, the ONLY person I'll be blaming once the near inevitable is reached is the one and only Mr Bonser.

I hope at that time many Walsall fans will also join me in making that feeling very clear.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:20 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Sheff won't be pleased :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Why dont you just give it a rest you idiot?
Just a thought.
:roll:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:22 pm

moanin old git wrote:Bit of a difference of opinion above? how can we be holding our own with only 40% possession and two shots on target
all night and then we bring on a couple of wet kids up front?

I sooo wanted some good news tonight but it looks like the team as well as MOG are slipping back into old ways

Looking at the shots on and off target and corners, we were well and truely hammered.
But to get a draw out of it is a result I would say.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Notts County (A) League 1 Wednesday 2/2/11.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:50 pm

Good to see Zico set up another goal. Pity Gill went off at half time.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:53 pm

Poor second half. Brilliant following. Enjoyed the old away day feeling. Didn't really enjoy the beer/cider shower at half time though. UTS.

SWS1

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:58 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:I think we'll lose this one 4-0. :wink:

In all seriousness, this will be a completely different test to the stroll in the park we saw this afternoon. They ripped us apart at our place, albeit under Hutchings.
I'd take a point and that's what I think we'll get. 1-1, Nicholls with the goal.

Good prediction, Rob. What are we gonna do on Saturday?
:D

SWS1

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:07 pm

Got to be happy with an away point gained with a goal in the last two minutes.
Very happy: shows fight (and it's not the first late goal we've got).

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:09 pm

SWS1 wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:I think we'll lose this one 4-0. :wink:

In all seriousness, this will be a completely different test to the stroll in the park we saw this afternoon. They ripped us apart at our place, albeit under Hutchings.
I'd take a point and that's what I think we'll get. 1-1, Nicholls with the goal.

Good prediction, Rob. What are we gonna do on Saturday?

I'd completely forgotten about that prediction. :D
We'll draw 2-2 on Saturday. Richards & Gray with the goals.

Jockey
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:15 pm

On my way back, still havent seen us lose away since 2008.

How on earth did we get a point?? We would have easily lost this under Hutch.

First half we played how an away team should. Defended resoloutely and tried to take chances on the break but the second half when I thought we would try and take the game to Notts County, it just didnt happen. Maybe the players gave their all on Saturday and got tired but we were really none existent in the second half.

Price and Gray both had really good chances in the first half and you would have to think that if we were on home soil those two chances would have gone in, maybe we used all our luck on Saturday.

Second half it was completely the opposite. Shut down the hatches, defend (woefully) and lose possession so easily. Lancashire and Richards lost the ball more times than anyone and that always put us on the backfoot. I dont know if Macken and Price were getting tired but the inclusion of Paterson and Grigg was a bad mistake considering we tried to play hoofball, both were easily muscled off the ball.

Wacka pulled off a fantastic save to keep the score at 1-0 Butler was immense at the back again but Ive got o question Lancashire and Lescott as defenders again, both were out of their depth against Hughes and were constantly playing him onside.

Jimmy got himself a a stupid yellow when trying to take a free kick about twenty yards away from the offence and continued to waste valuable time to the anger of the away following.

All in all we should be greatful to snatch a point at the end but the games are disapearing quick and we need more wins.
Last edited by Jockey on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

notts123

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:35 pm

Well battled today for the point although I really don't think you deserve it, Notts looked laggy all through the game when we passed the ball we ripped you wide open down the wings and got in behind your defence 6/7 times during the first half, Hughes missed a 3 yard sitter, Westcarr the same. I have to say I have no idea what your goalkeeper was moaning about when he got booked he was clearly 4/5 metres ahead of where the free kick should of been taken from and then had a go at the ref and threw the ball even further forward!! I didn't think either team played well. First 10-15 mins you looked quite dangerous coming forward Notts made a couple of silly mistakes to gift you some half chances. Your keeper made a cracking save from a Hughes shot about 25 yards near the end but your defence did look vulnerable. Haven't seen a clear view of the goal but looks like it was some slack goalkeeping gifted it but they all count. Well done!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:40 pm

All in all, not a bad point. Well done the lads.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:42 pm

notts123 wrote:Well battled today for the point although I really don't think you deserve it, Notts looked laggy all through the game when we passed the ball we ripped you wide open down the wings and got in behind your defence 6/7 times during the first half, Hughes missed a 3 yard sitter, Westcarr the same. I have to say I have no idea what your goalkeeper was moaning about when he got booked he was clearly 4/5 metres ahead of where the free kick should of been taken from and then had a go at the ref and threw the ball even further forward!! I didn't think either team played well. First 10-15 mins you looked quite dangerous coming forward Notts made a couple of silly mistakes to gift you some half chances. Your keeper made a cracking save from a Hughes shot about 25 yards near the end but your defence did look vulnerable. Haven't seen a clear view of the goal but looks like it was some slack goalkeeping gifted it but they all count. Well done!

Ooh, sounds like someone's not too happy about dropping points to a side as awful as us. :)

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:58 pm

notts123 wrote:Well battled today for the point although I really don't think you deserve it, Notts looked laggy all through the game when we passed the ball we ripped you wide open down the wings and got in behind your defence 6/7 times during the first half, Hughes missed a 3 yard sitter, Westcarr the same. I have to say I have no idea what your goalkeeper was moaning about when he got booked he was clearly 4/5 metres ahead of where the free kick should of been taken from and then had a go at the ref and threw the ball even further forward!! I didn't think either team played well. First 10-15 mins you looked quite dangerous coming forward Notts made a couple of silly mistakes to gift you some half chances. Your keeper made a cracking save from a Hughes shot about 25 yards near the end but your defence did look vulnerable. Haven't seen a clear view of the goal but looks like it was some slack goalkeeping gifted it but they all count. Well done!

Two teams in dire danger of the drop without any real quality, Notts. Neither team really created anything without there being a mistake initially. How much you miss Ince Jnr. who tore us apart single handedly at the Bescot. The point does neither of us a favour really, but given we were so poor for so much of the game, I think you have every right to feel annoyed at your management and players not exploiting our faults. A better point for us than you.

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:26 am

These come from behind games give me that DD feeling again , you know the days where it seemed we regular scored in the last 5 minutes - onwards and upwards - A point is better than none - 27 points needed for safety - we ain't down yet.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:52 am

a day i wont forget for a long while, started the day in the bell in meeting up with a few saddlers who were leaving for county at half 2 and got persuaded to get the train and meet them there (as they had a car full) the thought of having a good session in hooters instead of the 30 minutes i would of got leaving at my original time was too good to turn down. arrived in county for about 5 and straight into hooters were the beer was flowing and the lee hughes songs were being made up.

hooters didnt get as full as i thought it would, i guess people didnt have time for a drink.

on to the game, doing that walk from hooters to the ground brought back so many happy memories :)

in the first half i felt both teams were playing well and both could score at any time, they did get down the wings and into crossing positions too often, hughes even though he scored he wll have nightmares about his miss, its probably the biggest let off we have had this season, richards seemed to be pressing there deffenders and working higher up the pitch than gill.

half time :) best half time i have ever had at walsall, plenty of bodies crammed in a small concourse, all in good spirit and song bieng started off from lots of different groups and everybody joining them in, out of no where the songs go up a notch people start jumping around and getting excited and the beers up in the air and people couldnt give two ***** about getting soaked and just carried on, im sure there will be a few videos on you tube.

second half, all i am going to say is that, county took a hold of the game we seemed to be devoid of idead, hence faling to retain possesion i dont think richards and taundry can work well together, we had two wingers ready for the ball but seemedt not be able to have anyone in the centre to sweep the ball to the other side.
things looked bleak when we were playin bloody hoofball to two feather wieghts aganst two solid centre halves. i was resinged to a loss as we just seemed devoid of ideas and also couldnt keep the ball near their box. but out of no where richards had the ball and appeared to have only te ball over the centre halves head, but instead played a great deffence splitting pass which nicholls latched onto and il admit when i see the angle he was at i thought if he hits the target theres a chance i didnt think he had the skill to actually finish cooly, when i seen the ball go past the keeper and hit the net i was in the middle of complete euphoria, it was amazing, we new we had just nicked a point out of absolutley no where

a mention to te support, absolutley fantastic, if dean smith does not mention it then it really is a shame, we gave everythng for them 11 players tonight from the first whistle to the last we was loud and proud, im suprised not many fans on here actually take time to mention just how great our backing was

Lone Striker

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:07 am

Strange game this football - up until he scored Nicholls contribution to tonights performance was nil, then he pops up to get on the end of a great Richards through ball and we snatch a point when it looked like another away defeat. Promising first half with some neat and tidy build up play with Gray, Macken, Richards passing and linking up well resulting in a couple of half chances for Gray and Price. Defensively Butler was immense again and his leadership ability is there to see and it does bring out the best in Lancashire and they look like forming a reasonable partnership, I do worry about us at fullback though where we are really weak and it was noticeable that the danger all evening came from out wide with balls in behind out fullbacks, add into this that the fullbacks get very little help or cover from Nicholls or Gray and sides will expose us in these areas.
Second half a different story, not as much controlled football and much more long hopeful balls that just kept coming back. Not sure what happened to Gill but the introduction of Taundry did weaken us and possibly was one of the reasons for increased long ball game, he simply is not good enough to provide the quality that is required in this part of the pitch and his continual long hopeful ball into the channel is not great to watch or productive.
Other substitutions were mixed for me, Grigg for Price when one down was correct and was in my opinion tactically correct, taking off Macken and replacing him with Patterson was at the time a bit strange as we had reverted to long hopeful balls up to the strikers and Macken at least was a challenge for the centre halves, the change should have been Patterson for Nicholls, but then again what do I know as Nicholls saves us a point.
In summary a point keeps us moving in the right direction, we look better organised and have more heart in the team but we really need a couple of quality loan signings to turn the improved performances into three points.
Lets see what Dean Smith can come up with when the loan market opens up next week, in the meantime onwards to Carlisle.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:31 am

The difference was when we lost Gill and was replaced by Taundry. It was that obvious.

Richards started having to do the job of two midfielders because Taundry was running all over the place but was never in the right place at the right time, so in turn we lost the best of Richards who had been bursting forward in the first half. At least Smith recognised instantly what Hutchings couldn't all season and bought in Gill to the club.

We'd have got away with it if Price and Macken were as good as Saturday but the ball wasn't sticking to them often enough.

We edged the first half and started and ended the second well but for most of the second half they lost their way, and the poor defending (and goalkeeping) for their goal didn't help.

Still, a sparkling through ball from Richards and surprising finish from Nicholls, who had done nothing decent all match until then, made up for it and showed the fight is there.

A win was needed but County are a decent side, and like us their league position doesn't reflect their quality.
Unfortunately they improved earlier in the season than us but we're getting there so The Great Escape is possible, especially now the fans are back on side and fully behind the team, despite the anti Lee Hughes songs taking over the backing of the Saddlers ones in the second half.

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:17 am

Well done guys

PeruSaddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:09 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:The difference was when we lost Gill and was replaced by Taundry. It was that obvious.

Richards started having to do the job of two midfielders because Taundry was running all over the place but was never in the right place at the right time, so in turn we lost the best of Richards who had been bursting forward in the first half. At least Smith recognised instantly what Hutchings couldn't all season and bought in Gill to the club.

We'd have got away with it if Price and Macken were as good as Saturday but the ball wasn't sticking to them often enough.

We edged the first half and started and ended the second well but for most of the second half they lost their way, and the poor defending (and goalkeeping) for their goal didn't help.

Still, a sparkling through ball from Richards and surprising finish from Nicholls, who had done nothing decent all match until then, made up for it and showed the fight is there.

A win was needed but County are a decent side, and like us their league position doesn't reflect their quality.
Unfortunately they improved earlier in the season than us but we're getting there so The Great Escape is possible, especially now the fans are back on side and fully behind the team, despite the anti Lee Hughes songs taking over the backing of the Saddlers ones in the second half.

Just how I saw things too, but if you heard Ince's post match bunch of sour grapes you'd have thought we were at a different match.

Amuse yourself/get annoyed (delete as applicable) here http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/9377952.stm Unfortunately, they've edited out the interviewers opening remarks that we had caused them much more problems than on New Year's Day....

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:49 am

Well I thought it was a game of two halves, I pretty much agree with Mark. Once Gill went off we lost the midfield and it was always going to be a struggle from then.

I think Macken should have gone off before Price, but what can you do. We need to get Butler on a longer contract ASAP! He is an absolute rock.

All in all I would have taken a point before the game so I'm happy.

As for support it was excellent, apart from some misguided yoof's at the back.

as for that pass!!!

As for the club staying up, our point pick up has vastly improved, but so have the teams around us.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season