Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol Rovers (H) League 1 Saturday 29/1/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Re: Bristol Rovers (H) League 1 Saturday 29/1/11.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:19 pm

I actually think we played better against Huddersfield today, but finally a game where we converted our chances we aint down yet.

UTS

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:25 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:I actually think we played better against Huddersfield today, but finally a game where we converted our chances we aint down yet.

UTS

my thoughts exactly, it was different in the fact that we didnt spend long spells with them on the back foot and create chance after chance, we scored what chances we had bar 2 or 3, i feel the fact we wasnt all over them and looking for the half a yard to get a shot away helped as all are goals were from quite fluid play and not predictable build up.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:29 pm

brummie saddler wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:I actually think we played better against Huddersfield today, but finally a game where we converted our chances we aint down yet.

UTS

my thoughts exactly, it was different in the fact that we didnt spend long spells with them on the back foot and create chance after chance, we scored what chances we had bar 2 or 3, i feel the fact we wasnt all over them and looking for the half a yard to get a shot away helped as all are goals were from quite fluid play and not predictable build up.

According to the BBC text commentary, we had 8 attempts on target today. Scoring 6 from 8 isn't a bad return!!!!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:31 pm

Well im well pissed off. I didnt go today and we go and score 6. :evil:

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:32 pm

latviancheese wrote:Well im well pead off. I didnt go today and we go and score 6. :evil:

im a little jealous that 2 people i was with had 100 and 200 on walsall to win

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:39 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:

UTS

According to the BBC text commentary, we had 8 attempts on target today. Scoring 6 from 8 isn't a bad return!!!!

It had to be more than that we hit the bar once, Gray missed a complete sitter, we had 2 blocked off the line, Price fumbled a one on one early on, the BBC dont have a clue mate.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:43 pm

With the chances we had it shoulda been 9 or 10. Mind you I need convincing Nicholls' was over the line.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:45 pm

Radio WM must have been annoyed. They must have had to go to Bescot over 7 times. Regan will be in front of a committee Monday morning :D

Enjoyed today. Well done Mighty Saddlers :D

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:03 pm

we thought price deflected the last one in? Was either him or their defender but he deserved a goal! All played well. I think chris nicholls influence was there for all to see. Especialy in the 1st half we were defending as 2 banks of 4 rather than the mess of previous games. We scored 6 but that was what our win was built on. Butler was immense again and he seems to have a good understanding with lancashire. I was unsure with westlake but hes getting better and better defensively. Nicholls ran them ragged 2nd half with his link up with westlake and gill grew into the game after a statuesque start. richards was our playmaker as usual and on another day our superb forward line would have notched a few too! Loved it! (apologies for any txt spk/spelling but im on my phone!) everyone get to notts!

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:10 pm

LancsSaddler wrote:we thought price deflected the last one in?

That was my immediate reaction too. I'm not sure who decided it was Butler's goal.

Torbaysaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:31 pm

I work with a Gas Head, roll on Monday morning. I promise not to gloat......... I promise not to........... I promise not............ I promise ........... I..

Oh bugger it... :D :D :D :D

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:37 pm

Fantastic. It felt like waking up from a canine induced nightmare.

Nicholls had the best game I can remember since he was the promising kid, the new guy in midfield was a revelation - could pass the ball with some degree of accuracy and took the pressure off Richards who could then put in an awesome performance. I thought that Price had an excellent game, and more importantly was the target man/line leader we've lacked all season since Deeney paid the leech money for the season in August. I'm still scared shitless however by our defence and pray that James W aint injured for long.

The next 3 games are make/break - we must gain a minimum of 6 points if today is going to be more than an incredibly welcome flash in the pan

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:44 pm

longdogs wrote:
LancsSaddler wrote:we thought price deflected the last one in?

That was my immediate reaction too. I'm not sure who decided it was Butler's goal.

It was the "toothless sounding" :mrgreen: PA man that announced it as such... I thought Price too.

Well impress with the team today, although Bristol were awful. Take nothing away though, I thought Price was class - he won everything in the air, and never gave up. Macken battled like I have never seen him battle before. Richards and Gill linked really well... what a difference to have a full compliment in midfield, even Nicholls and Gray were great too.

Its still early days for Smith, and I guess the players and management don't have a lot to lose in that we are still more than likely relegated (sorry - but I think we are). However.. if we can put in performances like that more often than not, there is a slight chance... and if we go down fighting and playing in this manner, I for one would be happy to let Smith have a crack at next season.

I was un-happy that we didn't interview any of the apparent 90 applicants...but maybe the decision was a sound one... we shall see.

COME ON... even tempted by a Weds trip to County too!

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:51 pm

Obviously delighted with the performance and result ,lets hope this is the kick start we needed and we can build on this.

Not getting carried away we will face better sides between now and the end of this season .

Well done lads and Dean Smith .

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:55 pm

Police are said to be on the hunt for a West Midlands based football team after one of their relegation rivals was found brutally murdered this afternoon...

In all seriousness, it was absolutely fantastic to see such a clinical performance today, with some great football thrown in for good measure. We played with a high tempo, the players all worked for eachother (Julian Gray included), and everyone had a smile on their face come the final whistle. It was a joy to behold.

I agree with what a fair few people have already said in that Gill and Price have made a big difference - not necessarily because they're particularly outstanding footballers, but because they know what they have to do to enable the others around them to play to their strenghts. As a result, Macken and Richards both had arguably their best games since joining the club. Macken in particular seemed to be at the heart of every good piece of attacking build up. The only thing missing for him was a goal.

I won't go into detail on every goal we scored because, frankly, I'll be here all night. Gill's goal was the pick of the bunch for me though - a flowing move through midfield cuminated in a perfect flick-through by Macken before Gill smashed the ball home. We struggled to string three passes together under Hutchings, yet today we sliced through a defence with ease thanks to a few moves like that.

I said at half time that the big test would be seeing how we approached the second half. It was, after all, the first time we'd had more than a one goal lead at half time during Smith's time as manager and I was praying that he wouldn't be inclined to slow the tempo and try to keep things tight. Perhaps I'd just become too used to Hutchings' mentality. Their goal was a complete shambles from our point of view, with Westlake getting himself in a horrible mess before Bevan positioned himself awfully. Thankfully, Matt Richards stepped up seconds later to restore the three goal advantage. Won his tackle in the middle of the park, drove forward, picked his spot and the three points were secured.

We even had the luxury of seeing Julian Gray desperately try to get Macken on the scoresheet when he tried to pick out Macken instead of going for goal himself, which probably would have been the better option. That really did show just how much we were taking the mickey out of them towards the end of the game.

They were bad, and we still managed to gift them too many good chances, but at least we look like scoring now. With the likes of Butler and Price in the side, we won't be going down without a fight, that's for sure.
Just to add, I was interested to hear that Smith took the squad to a spa for the day on Thursday. I know it's easy to say it was a masterstroke as we won today, but as they say, if you keep doing the same things, you'll keep getting the same results. I'm pretty sure there was no thinking outside of the box under Hutchings.
Last edited by WFC_Rob on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:59 pm

Even 'One Step Beyond' was slightly brought back to life today! :mrgreen:

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:04 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Police are said to be on the hunt for a West Midlands based football team after one of their relegation rivals was found brutally murdered this afternoon...

In all seriousness, it was absolutely fantastic to see such a clinical performance today, with some great football thrown in for good measure. We played with a high tempo, the players all worked for eachother (Julian Gray included), and everyone had a smile on their face come the final whistle. It was a joy to behold.

I agree with what a fair few people have already said in that Gill and Price have made a big difference - not necessarily because they're particularly outstanding footballers, but because they know what they have to do to enable the others around them to play to their strenghts. As a result, Macken and Richards both had arguably their best games since joining the club. Macken in particular seemed to be at the heart of every good piece of attacking build up. The only thing missing for him was a goal.

i won't go into detail on every goal we scored because, frankly, I'll be here all night. Gill's goal was the pick of the bunch for me though - a flowing move through midfield cuminated in a perfect flick-through by Macken before Gill smashed the ball home. We struggled to string three passes together under Hutchings, yet today we sliced through a defence with ease thanks to a few moves like that.

I said at half time that the big test would be seeing how we approached the second half. It was, after all, the first time we'd had more than a one goal lead at half time during Smith's time as manager and I was praying that he wouldn't be inclined to slow the tempo and try to keep things tight. Perhaps I'd just become too used to Hutchings' mentality. Their goal was a complete shambles from our point of view, with Westlake getting himself in a horrible mess before Bevan positioned himself awfully. Thankfully, Matt Richards stepped up seconds later to restore the three goal advantage. Won his tackle in the middle of the park, drove forward, picked his spot and the three points were secured.

We even had the luxury of seeing Julian Gray desperately try to get Macken on the scoresheet when he tried to pick out Macken instead of going for goal himself, which probably would have been the better option. That really did show just how much we were taking the mickey out of them towards the end of the game.

They were bad, and we still managed to gift them too many good chances, but at least we look like scoring now. With the likes of Butler and Price in the side, we won't be going down without a fight, that's for sure.
Just to add, I was interested to hear that Smith took the squad to a spa for the day on Thursday. I know it's easy to say it was a masterstroke as we won today, but as they say, if you keep doing the same things, you'll keep getting the same results. I'm pretty sure there was no thinking outside of the box under Hutchings.

Great post. Appearing on Crimewatch will make up for not being on the football league show tonight!

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:13 pm

You Reds wrote:Even 'One Step Beyond' was slightly brought back to life today! :mrgreen:

i absolutley loved it :)

my mates where asking me to start it off but i thought that trying it at home would just be embarrising, even if my mates would join in with me.

come as such a surprise when i heard it behind me.

if you all make the trip to county you will be sure to hear it :)

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:36 pm

Aldridge_saddler wrote:1986 we won 6-0 against erm Bristol Rovers!

And all of those were in the second half. Funnily enough, I was talking to a Gas fan today about that very game on the way to Twerton Park [Bath City 4-0 Cambridge]. Little did I know that we would almost repeat the feat today!!

UTS

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:09 pm

Absolutely brilliant today and can't praise the lads and the management team enough. I'm forgetting all the JB/relegation etc etc and enjoying this for what it was and that was our best performance for a very long time. Smith has had an impact - no doubt - and if nothing else it looks like they will fight and try to play, at the very least, from now until May. With the chances we had (particularly Price early on, Gray going through late on and passing for Macken plus the one that somehow spun over), it could have been 7 or 8. Also must mention the fans. A good sing song and a bit of positivity and I think the club should try and whip a bit of that atmosphere up by playing on the whole 'great escape' idea.

Bevan - The one weak link for me. I really don't think he's any better than Brain.
Westlake - Made a couple of poor defensive decisions (nothing that can't be ironed out as he gets older) but did ok, particularly when going forward.
Lescott - Did ok, not bad.
Butler - MOM and led by example. He's got his weaknesses but noone can question his desire and he headed and tackled everything today and fully deserved his goal(s?). He was just what we needed and will thrive under Smith.
Lancashire - Did well, similar to Butler and was steady enough.
Nicholls - Grew into the game and once we were ahead looked dangerous. If he plays with confidence he could be a player but doesn't do it enough.
Gray - Played well and got into good positions and caused Rovers problems. Fantastic finish for his goal and actually put a shift in with his closing down.
Richards - Looked lively and as usual, anything good we did involved him. Good finish for his goal and surely now everyone realises how important he can be to us.
Gill - Another who grew as the game went on. Finished well for his goal and was impressive with his work rate and passing.
Macken - I'm not his biggest fan but he put a real shift in today and got about their defenders. Lovely flick for Gills goal and showed real quality at times.
Price - Hope the goal will go to him as he deserved it. Messed one early chance up but didn't let it get to him. Led the line brilliantly, strong, backed in and tried to do the right thing each time he had the ball. i was really impressed with him.

The beer tastes even better tonight after todays match.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:11 pm

latviancheese wrote:Well im well pead off. I didnt go today and we go and score 6. :evil:

Same here! :x

After seeing us ship goals against Tranmere, Notts County and Huddersfield recently, I decided to give the M6 a rest this weekend. Typically chose the wrong weekend to be a 'stawaway'!! :lol:

I wonder when the next time will be that we bag 6 goals! :?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:13 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:

Same here! :x

After seeing us ship goals against Tranmere, Notts County and Huddersfield recently, I decided to give the M6 a rest this weekend. Typically chose the wrong weekend to be a 'stawaway'!! :lol:

I wonder when the next time will be that we bag 6 goals! :?

Just knew we had the best chance in long while to win today. Didn't quite expect the extent. The F2Go was rocking! :D

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:52 pm

thats the 3rd time theyve been hit for 6 this season
they have big problems and id expect us to finish above them and if plymouth go into admin we have a chance

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:00 pm

How glad was I that I came back today? :)

I would say that is the most I have enjoyed a game in the last 3/4 years. Absolutely superb.

Bevan - looked quite shaky actually. But did what he needed to do well.

Westlake - Very good, got forward and looked assured on the ball.
Klingon - The leader we have been craving for ages. Got stuck in to score his two goals.
Lancashire - Didn't have a fat lot to do really but still good.
Lescott - Decent game today, but I still think he is the weak link.

Nicholls - I don't know what he was given at half time but he murdered them in the second half.
Richards - Hmm. Played well at times but always seems to be half a yard off pace. Superb goal tho.
Gill - what a pleasure it is to see someone who is comfortable on the ball. Very good and great finish.
Gray - actually looked bothered. Goal of the season contender as well!

Macken - Brilliant, linked play well and always looked lively.
Price - Rarely have I been so impressed with a debut performance. My MOTM. Held the ball up quite brilliantly.

I can't remember the last team we played with so much composure, passion and flair. I thought we were dead in the water, if we play like that every week, we have nothing to worry about. And THAT will be the most important thing, I hope hope it doesn't seem like I am putting a dampener on things but we have to play like this consistently.

That said, if we go down with the team playing this well - I would keep Deano in charge. Hats off to him today.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:01 am

Where the bloody hell did our midfield learn to do all that passing, running and tackling?

The middle two couldn't have played with themselves on Tuesday.

Fair play to Dean... Hard work paid off today. Keep it up for Wednesday.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:03 am

most impressed! Well done the lads, and those who went and supported them.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:33 am

What a pleasant change to be talking about a win!! I'm not getting carried away because Bristol were, by a mile, the worst team I have seen in this division and, unless a major transformation takes place in the next couple of weeks, they looks certainties for relegation.

How interesting to see that the person a lot of people said should have been a strong candidate for our manager role (yet instead we took the "cheap" option!) has now taken Rovers to 4-0 and 6-1 defeats in his first few games!!

The difference with us today was that we had several players wanting the ball and prepared to move into space and ask for it. I can't believe BCS thinks Richards was "half a yard off the pace"! He was instrumental in everything good we did, as always this season, and the 4th goal not only typified his performance, it was the all-important one, with Rovers threatening a comeback.

Nicholls and Gray had their best games of the season. Both were prepared to ask for the ball and both were prepared to try and do something with it. You could actually see Nicholls' confidence growing throughout the game and he proved a real danger.

Gill started rather slowly again I felt, but came more and more into the game doing a very important job. His willingness to take the pass and move into space once he'd passed was also a major factor. Given even more games, I think we'll see him get better and better.

The defence did superbly. Kuffour and Hoskins are decent strikers and yet we rarely gave them a look in. Lancashire is quite clearly the right partner for the immense Butler. It gives us a mixture of brain and braun and the centre of defence is looking a lot better. Westlake had a superb first half, but I felt they started to exploit his defensive deficiencies second half. He's still looking like a great prospect though. And Lescott has taken a lot of abuse on here, but he gave a very steady performance against his old club.

Macken did what Macken does, and has done all season, which is to provide the skill and craft up front which others should be playing off, but they mostly fail to do. I actually thought he had a poor first half, but the reverse pass for Gill's goal was sublime. Second half, he was instrumental in everything we did, and his work for Nicholls' goal in particular was special.

And then there's Price. I actually thought that, as an individual player, he wasn't quite with it. That's to be expected, he needs games under his belt to get sharpness back. But the HUGE difference he made to the team was his experience and team play. He was directing things from up front, telling Gray where to move, urging him to get involved, offering himself for the pass and giving players options, tracking back and doing his share of defending. He looks the business. I really hope we can get him match-fit and sign him for next season, perhaps even including a coaching role.

Even the subs were positive. They were done at the right time and they both showed enough promise to suggest we now have options from the bench.

Of course, all of this will count for nothing if we lose dismally on Wednesday, but you get the feeling that this group of players and this manager know that, and will at least work to make sure it doesn't happen.

portlandbill
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:38 am

It had to be more than that we hit the bar once, Gray missed a complete sitter, we had 2 blocked off the line, Price fumbled a one on one early on, the BBC dont have a clue mate.[/quote]
Hitting the bar is not an attempt on goal!

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:30 am

portlandbill wrote:It had to be more than that we hit the bar once, Gray missed a complete sitter, we had 2 blocked off the line, Price fumbled a one on one early on, the BBC dont have a clue mate.

Hitting the bar is not an attempt on goal![/quote]

If hitting the bar is not an attempt on goal , what is it? A Balti Pie? :D

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:34 am

MILO5 wrote:
portlandbill wrote:It had to be more than that we hit the bar once, Gray missed a complete sitter, we had 2 blocked off the line, Price fumbled a one on one early on, the BBC dont have a clue mate.

Hitting the bar is not an attempt on goal!

If hitting the bar is not an attempt on goal , what is it? A Balti Pie? :D[/quote]

It is actually off target. Weird, but still true.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season