Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol Rovers (H) League 1 Saturday 29/1/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Re: Bristol Rovers (H) League 1 Saturday 29/1/11.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:35 am

portlandbill wrote:It had to be more than that we hit the bar once, Gray missed a complete sitter, we had 2 blocked off the line, Price fumbled a one on one early on, the BBC dont have a clue mate.

Hitting the bar is not an attempt on goal![/quote]

Just to clarify (sorry if I didn't make this clear in the original post) - the BBC website gives figures for "Attempts on target".... "Attempts off target".... Corners.. etc. etc.,

The information I gave was for "Attempts ON target", and it was 8 Attempts (which resulted in 6 goals). The 2 attempts that didn't result in goals would have been either saved by the goalkeeper or kicked off the line by a defender. Blocks on the edge of the area, or fumbled chances, or one-on-ones scrambled clear - these do not count as attempts ON target!

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:39 am

What is it when a shot is heading for the goal and is then deflected by the hairy knee of a brutish centre half onto the post?

On target or off target?

portlandbill
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:28 am

Cully wrote:What is it when a shot is heading for the goal and is then deflected by the hairy knee of a brutish centre half onto the post?

On target or off target?

on target

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:15 am

portlandbill wrote:It had to be more than that we hit the bar once, Gray missed a complete sitter, we had 2 blocked off the line, Price fumbled a one on one early on, the BBC dont have a clue mate.

Hitting the bar is not an attempt on goal![/quote]

Well your just being picky to my statement I gave 5 other examples of shots on target when the beeb said we only had 8 attempts on target!

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:07 pm

Brilliant yesterday. I really fancied us yesterday, tought before the game that Bristol Rovers are the poorest team in this division (but with 2 very good strikers) and expected us to win. BUT ..... I didn't expect that.

Butler was amazing, I love whole hearted players, players that would run through a brick wall when on that pitch, we hadn't got ANY for the majority of the season but Butler seems to be rubbing off on the others. Lancahesire looks twice the player he was earlier in the season with a real leader along side him.

Lescott and Westy did their jobs, the centre backs were quality, Gray worked hard and showed e some of that quality we know he has. Gill kept things ticking over and took his goal well. Best thing about yesterday for me was Richards goal, not the finnish but the fact that he held of the defender and won the ball tenaciously, one of the things ive been critical of him for.

Price is just what we need and will score goals. For me MOM was Jon Macken, held the ball up brilliantly, pure quality in evrything he did, I have never been able to fathum the critisism he takes.

P.S - bevan's decison making is terrible, never seems to be on his toes, hopfully that will come with experience but is usally something you have or you don't

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:41 pm

saddlerJP wrote:P.S - bevan's decison making is terrible, never seems to be on his toes, hopfully that will come with experience but is usally something you have or you don't

He is still very raw, which is why he should be our number two.
He gifted Huddersfield their fourth goal last time he played and his positioning was awful for their goal yesterday. He then rolled the ball out when their striker was about 10 yards away from him, which would have led to a goal against a better side.

He's certainly better than Brain, but needs to spend a bit of time working with Walker on the training ground before he can stake a genuine claim for a place in the side.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:15 am

Apparently Jason Price has been awarded the sixth goal now.

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season