Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Exeter City (A) League 1 Saturday 22/1/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Exeter City (A) League 1 Saturday 22/1/11.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:19 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:Oh, ye of little faith :wink:

A little question for Sheff..... what odds will you give me on any wager in which I say we will still be in League One next season?

I'm not talking silly money here, but I'd like to know your estimation of our chances on a proper basis - i.e. the actual odds you would take.

Go to the bookmakers if you want a bet. I am sure you will get a lot better odds then I will give you.
Afterall, I think William Hill, Ladbrokes would be able to stand you "massive" bet a lot better than me!

You say CLAP CLAP CLAP

I can now reply CLUCK CLUCK CLUCK

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well we are 9 points from safety. 10 points when you consider our goal difference.

A bookmaker will offer you very good odds I would have thought.

If you are such a big man, go back them and post your betting slip on here!
Or are you a CLUCK CLUCK CLUCK?

:lol:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:20 pm

Ladies and gentlemen - may I introduce UTS's answer to the great diplomat and internationally reknowned negotiator: Henry A. Kissinger, why it's our very own Sheffield Saddler!!!

:D

Awaits inevitable rude/offensive/kneejerk outburst..... :D :wink:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:24 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Ladies and gentlemen - may I introduce UTS's answer to the great diplomat and internationally reknowned negotiator: Henry A. Kissinger, why it's our very own Sheffield Saddler!!!

Is that the best you can come up with?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:30 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Ladies and gentlemen - may I introduce UTS's answer to the great diplomat and internationally reknowned negotiator: Henry A. Kissinger, why it's our very own Sheffield Saddler!!!

Is that the best you can come up with?

No.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:33 pm

Could I suggest that people stop feeding the troll?

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:35 pm

Bernie wrote:Could I suggest that people stop feeding the troll?

Oh Bernie, the man who thought DD was rubbish.
You do make me laugh!

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:35 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:That is now 2 points from 12 under Dean Smith. I really do feel sorry for him.

I just hope they've kept his job open with the kids for when we end this farce, and he's sacked in favour of who Bonser has already decided will replace him in May. Creep - my commiserations Dean, cos I bet they dont.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:36 pm

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:37 pm

boringteacher wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:That is now 2 points from 12 under Dean Smith. I really do feel sorry for him.

I just hope they've kept his job open with the kids for when we end this farce, and he's sacked in favour of who Bonser has already decided will replace him in May. Creep - my commiserations Dean, cos I bet they dont.

I hope the same to.
Get back to something he is half decent at.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:02 pm

latviancheese wrote:Looking forward to playing Shrewsbury.

Assuming those Welsh scutters don't get promoted, nightmare scenario :oops:

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:05 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
boringteacher wrote:

I hope the same to.

The Bescot was renamed the Banks's some years ago now

The back of the stands are painted white, had you heard?

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:51 pm

saddlerken wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
boringteacher wrote:

I hope the same to.

The Bescot was renamed the Banks's some years ago now

The back of the stands are painted white, had you heard?

Oh Kenny boy, you really are struggling tonight.
What a joker you are! :lol:

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:03 pm

I think we will win the next 10 games.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:12 pm

161 Saddlers at St James's today [down from 283 for last season's 2-1 defeat].
Last edited by BathSaddler on Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:19 pm

that was there 1st win of 2011
why do we help teams .i felt realy positive before the game but i know feel resigned to you know what
Gutted
for what its worth gray seems to be getting back to himself

Torbaysaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:03 pm

I posted on here earlier this week asking for more effort and application. Sorry, I can only compare with what I've seen before i.e. The Torquay cup-tie.
My, what a difference, at least there is a "heart" beating in the team.
I was talking about certain players before the match and I will pick out one in particular

Lescott..... very pretty going forwards but who ever told him he was a defender needs to reconsider. Their first goal was entirely down to him.... ball watching and completely lost the man he was supposed to be marking...... oh dear and only 4 minutes gone. It was tough enough at 0-0 but Mr. Lescott , you let your team down.
Only one other negative and that is Macken......." at least look as though your trying"

Their second goal, completely against the run of play, free kick outside the area, defence fell asleep.... ball ends up in the net. And Jimmy saved a penalty.

Take out those negatives, to be honest Walsall dominated the match and with a bit of luck, could and should have won the match.

Two players caught my eye - Gray.... when he wants to play he's good. But the real diamond is Grigg, should have started. That boy is a footballer with a footballing brain, just needs support around him.

Can they stay up...... if they keep playing like that, but with a couple of experienced incomers and a bit of luck..... answers on a postcard.

KEEP THE FAITH.

Highlight of the day for me....... meeting Mr & Mrs Asps and friends............ lovely people and very enjoyable company :D

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:20 pm

Very pleasing to hear reports of a much improved performance but you don't points for that .

We're going down

PT
Site Addict

Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:42 pm

Thanks for the report Torbay, sounds encouraging. We're probably down, but have been since November so seeing some heart and pride returning is a good thing.

Just read through the rest of the thread, Chelsea didn't play and I guess someone was bored.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:54 pm

PT wrote:Thanks for the report Torbay, sounds encouraging. We're probably down, but have been since November so seeing some heart and pride returning is a good thing.

Just read through the rest of the thread, Chelsea didn't play and I guess someone was bored.

Cheap point scoring, you sound like a lemming? :lol:

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:57 pm

Was a bit concerned about Asps when the commentator said that there were female cheerleaders with big pom poms :shock:

Did he still have his clothes on Torbay? :D

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:47 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:id he still have his clothes on Torbay?

You're asking that, knowing the kind of parties he goes to? :mrgreen:

Sounds like we were unfortunate not get anything rather than plain terrible like the rest of the season so far. Fans will no doubt be encouraged, whilst trolls will be trolls.

Torbaysaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:53 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:Was a bit concerned about Asps when the commentator said that there were female cheerleaders with big pom poms :shock:

yes he did....... it does get cold down here and and disrobing today .... his pom poms would have dropped like the proverbial Brass Monkey's :shock:

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:13 pm

Whilst it is good that performances have picked up, and hopefully I'll be seeing myself shortly, the results are still very concerning.

We are in a run of games that I felt we could use to save ourselves. However, 2pts from Tranmere, Brizzle, Exeter and one home game is a very poor return, even more so that we've konw suddenly started leaking goals left, right and centre. We have shipped 18 goals in our last 6 matches, that is not poor, it is shambolic and I struggle to give credit to a manager for improved performances when you look at who we've conceded 11 goals to our in last 4... To that extent, Sheff does have a valid point I think.

Yes, I'd rather us lose when trying when appearing to not give a hoot, which is what we appear to be doing now.

What I find most interesting though is that folk said anyone other than Hutch would get these guys getting results. Now we've got a new manager and still not doing this, people seem to be excusing the manager and blaming the players. Can't quite get my head around that piece to be honest with you. Usual one rule for one person, another rule for another person. Surely if we're now blaming the players, then maybe Hutch wasn't that bad after all then, lol...

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:14 pm

Torbaysaddler wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:Was a bit concerned about Asps when the commentator said that there were female cheerleaders with big pom poms :shock:

yes he did....... it does get cold down here and and disrobing today .... his pom poms would have dropped like the proverbial Brass Monkey's :shock:

Thanks for sharing that thought with us Torbay :mrgreen:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:32 pm

Having been encouraged by recent displays, I fancied us to get someting out of today's game. I managed to persuade Chester Jnr to come with me and was treated to a few hours of metal on the journey.

After a promising first few minutes they took the lead with what I though was a decent goal. I think that to blame Lescott is harsh, he was just done by a good piece of play in my view.

For much of the first half we passed the ball very well and had loads of posession. Despite that it was Exeter, and Cureton in particular that had the best chances, a couple of them which really should have been put away. We still appear to be most vulnerable when we lose the ball in the opposition half. Our defence seems to be carved open far too easily.

The key moment in the match for me was just after half time when Taundry somehow managed to shoot wide from no more than 5 yards.

We dominated the second half, playing some really nice short passing football, and creating some decent half chances plus a header from 12 yards from macken (I think) which the 'Keeper saved but should not have been given a chance. We still looked shakey when Exeter counter attacked though. I agree with Torbay Saddler aboout the second goal, we just fell asleep at a free kick. Smith must have beeen fuming.

The penalty came from one such counter attack when we had committed players forward.

With Grigg and Patterson on we continued to play positively and scored a scrappy but deserved goal. After that we had a number of half chances to level and then one great chance when Grigg had a shot saved on the line by the 'Keeper. Had he aimed the shot either side of him we would have been leaving the ground with a point.

Although Gill had a solid debut, I still feel the defence needs a bit more protection. We seem to commit too many players forward and then when we lose the ball we are exposed.

Richards was again involved in everything and Gray played as well as I have seen him in a Walsall shirt. Grigg did really well when he came on, baffling really why Smith preferred to start with Nicholls.

Walker was not that busy but played his part with the penalty save and communication to the defence. I thought we dealt with set pieces much better than previously, which hopefully is down to the work Smith is doing.

Overall, loads of positives. Two home games next week, six points and we are still in with a shout

UTS

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:41 pm

Oldham - Lost 1 of last 4 to Southampton. Lost 1 of last 4 away games.
Bristol Rovers - lost 1 of last 4 to Carlise. Cant win away for toffee, if we cant beat this rubbish at home, we wont win another home match.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:45 pm

Stu wrote:Whilst it is good that performances have picked up, and hopefully I'll be seeing myself shortly, the results are still very concerning.

We are in a run of games that I felt we could use to save ourselves. However, 2pts from Tranmere, Brizzle, Exeter and one home game is a very poor return, even more so that we've konw suddenly started leaking goals left, right and centre. We have shipped 18 goals in our last 6 matches, that is not poor, it is shambolic and I struggle to give credit to a manager for improved performances when you look at who we've conceded 11 goals to our in last 4... To that extent, Sheff does have a valid point I think.

Yes, I'd rather us lose when trying when appearing to not give a hoot, which is what we appear to be doing now.

What I find most interesting though is that folk said anyone other than Hutch would get these guys getting results. Now we've got a new manager and still not doing this, people seem to be excusing the manager and blaming the players. Can't quite get my head around that piece to be honest with you. Usual one rule for one person, another rule for another person. Surely if we're now blaming the players, then maybe Hutch wasn't that bad after all then, lol...

Hutchings signed the players. They are crap, who's to blame?

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:03 pm

boringteacher wrote:
Hutchings signed the players. They are crud, who's to blame?

Smith, we are conceding more goals now than under Hutchings? :roll:

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:04 pm

boringteacher wrote:
Stu wrote:Whilst it is good that performances have picked up, and hopefully I'll be seeing myself shortly, the results are still very concerning.

Hutchings signed the players. They are crud, who's to blame?

i don't believe they're "crud" as you put it, a number of these were okay last season but have taken massive steps backward this season, no more so than McDonald and Smith.

Hutch signed what he had funds to sign, if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. It isn't a defence of him, but I do think that the players have got away scott-free with a lot of the blame for this season personally. Hutch had lost whatever formula served him so well last season, but the players let him down and are continuing to let Dean Smith down, however if Smith cannot help fix out this defensive issue, then you have to question him as well.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:05 pm

I'm caught in two minds here.

On the one hand the performances seem to have massively improved, last week I came away feeling that I'd really seen a good game of football for the first time in absolutely ages. I can see that it might just be a matter of time before the improved performances turn into improved results.

On the other hand the results just have not improved and the rate we're conceeding goals is alarming.

I agree with all the arguments that we need to give Smith time to get his players in and playing the way he wants but we really need to see the frition of this in the next 2 games. Anything other than 4 points will (IMO) mean appointing Smith has made no difference to our chances of staying up.

I still say the club have muddled this and opted for some pointless middle ground. They should either have appointed a more experienced manager from te pool of applications or backed Smith with a contract until the end of next season. This current situation is pointless.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season