Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Huddersfield Town (H) League 1 Saturday 15/1/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Re: Huddersfield Town (H) League 1 Saturday 15/1/11.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:46 pm

after all this phil still as a point and if you dismiss hes take out of hand then you yourself are totaly blinkered
richards scored a header last week and he was also part to blame for the first goal which you dont want to give to any team as it gets there tails up
but i still blame our defence and keeper and i do beleive no matter what combination we have in front of the defence and keeper we will continue
to leak goals because we are poo at the back so lets not blame richards or anyone else other than the back 4 and our keeper
what makes me laugh is some fans give butler motm even though he was the main culprit for the loss now thats what i call blinkered

Casual D
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:50 pm

Richards, Smith and Bevan were all in part to blame for the first goal.

Bevan definitely at fault for the fourth. We were three two down with thirty seconds left and two thirds of our players were upfield chasing the equaliser. A deft, Cantona-esque pass over the advancing opposition forward was not the option under those circumstances. Especially considering how poor his kicking had been for much of the game. I sometimes wonder why every keeper we've had since Wacka seems unable to kick the ball without it going out of play. I don't dislike Bevan's game on the whole, but if we're gonna have Jimmy in the squad and pay him wages, he should play.

As for the two goals from the corner, Huddersfield had obviously had a look at our defending from the Notts County Game. Againsy County we conceded one corner on that side of our goal and conceded, from a ball staight to the near post (and somehow across 4/5 of our players and the six yard box). Against Huddersfield we conceded two corners on that SAME side of our goal and conceded goals from both of them. For the second one I had already turned to my brother and pointed out that we were going to concede before they even took it!

That said, it was on the whole a much improved performance as far as the football we played is concerned. And players who haven't pulled their fingers out this season actually appeared to give a damn, and we attempted to pass our way forward (sometimes successfully) and retain the ball instead of hoofing it. However you can't expect any group of players to change the way they play so drastically overnight without their being mistakes, and that's what happened.

I certainly prefered our play in possession yesterday, but the game has changed my mind about the type of manager we need, at least till the end of this season. Someone who can organise the defence into carrying out their basic duties is the priority. Avoiding relegation is asking for a miracle turnaround in results now. That's never going to happen conceding three goals a game.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:57 pm

Some people were wrongly blaming Butler for both the first two goals.

The first goal followed a bad mistake by Richards, but Smith and Bevan both seemed a bit slow.

The second goal was caused by a very clear foul on Butler, who was pushed right over, and simply cannot be blamed for that . We were let down badly by the referee then.

Casual D
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:02 pm

A cross that close to the goal from a corner should NEVER reach the backpost.

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:05 pm

but butler today said the 1st goal was hes fault
the second goal he was bullied or a foul which ever way you want to look at it
the 3rd was a poor clearing header from butler straight to the player who hit the overhead
so imo he was the main culprit for the loss and not motm like some fans think
funny how people see it different i suppose thats why its the best game on the planet
mind you they was a big team in size
Last edited by morethanuknow on Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:07 pm

morethanuknow wrote:after all this phil still as a point and if you dismiss hes take out of hand then you yourself are totaly blinkered
richards scored a header last week and he was also part to blame for the first goal which you dont want to give to any team as it gets there tails up
but i still blame our defence and keeper and i do beleive no matter what combination we have in front of the defence and keeper we will continue
to leak goals because we are poo at the back so lets not blame richards or anyone else other than the back 4 and our keeper
what makes me laugh is some fans give butler motm even though he was the main culprit for the loss now thats what i call blinkered

I know he still has a point, I admit he's also contributed to some of our awful mistakes, but who hasn't? Whilst I am quick to critisize, I am also quick to praise when people put in a good performance.
I just don't like it when certain fans hate certain players and no matter what happens on that pitch, every mistake is down to that one player, but when he does something half decent, there's praise to other players for making that happen..

Not sure how you're sticking up for somebody who is blaming a midfielder when you yourself said on Saturday that you can't take people seriously who blame the midfield.. :?
But you're entitled to be a hypocrite if you want.
I find you totally blinkered for wanting to bring in a goalkeeper when we have 3, before you'd touch any of the midfield. You must be the only Walsall fan on the planet to think our midfield should be left untouched, and the only fan in the world to think any of our centre midfielders could be in the Championship, especially Marshall.. Now THAT'S 'blinkered'.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:09 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Neil, you are wrong.

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Butler messed up the pass so that it wasn't even to feet

Err, no he didn't. Which video are you watching?

As you can see from the sequence of images below, Butler plays a very neat pass straight to Richards feet. Richards then contrives to give the ball away in his own half - a carnal sin for a midfielder - and in doing so, fails to make a challenge. You are wrong. Butler didnt apologise for the pass, if you scroll the video on further you see him turn to Richards and ask what the heck he was doing.

You can bum Richards all you like but he is a liability - I've been saying it for ages, and only idiots like yourself are fooled by his freekicks. Want to know why our goals against column is so bad? Look below, our star midfielder has the ball at his feet and loses it. Enough said.

[moderated for swear filter avoidance. Further editing of moderator's comments will result in a ban - aww, hiding behind being a mod. Well done sir, threatening bans because of one word. What a muppet you are, whoever you are.]

Some very interesting insights for the UTS amateur psychologists to add to their casebooks....

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:19 pm

dan
let me put this easy to you
when that ball was played to richards (obviously your favourate player)he should of slipped marshall in straight away as the lad made a championship run and we would of been up the park and away because they had commited them selves in our half.know that was easy to understand.
dont call me for giving my opinion on any player who i beleive should be able to play at another level thats got nothing to do with this that my opinion
now back to your best player. phil still as a point and if you cant understand phils point without getting personal then im afraid to say you are totaly blinded more than phil
i do not blame richards and yes we need a proper keeper first and then somone who can defend proper
dan honestly how can you in any shape or form not see that we need a keeper and defenders please do you watch the games

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:25 pm

dan you must be the only fan walsall have who thinks we dont need a keeper
you said we have 3 keepers you are having a laugh mate and after a comment like that i cant even be bothered to reply to anything you say
sorry i will move on

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:32 pm

morethanuknow wrote:dan
let me put this easy to you
when that ball was played to richards (obviously your favourate player)he should of slipped marshall in straight away as the lad made a championship run and we would of been up the park and away because they had commited them selves in our half.know that was easy to understand.
dont call me for giving my opinion on any player who i beleive should be able to play at another level thats got nothing to do with this that my opinion
now back to your best player. phil still as a point and if you cant understand phils point without getting personal then im afraid to say you are totaly blinded more than phil
i do not blame richards and yes we need a proper keeper first and then somone who can defend proper
dan honestly how can you in any shape or form not see that we need a keeper and defenders please do you watch the games

1) What do you base it on that he's my favourite player? I have just said he's contributed to some of the mistakes, also I don't think he's Championship quality (unlike you).
2) The lad made a championship run.. :lol: I expect to see the likes of QPR and Cardiff launching bids for him now.. :roll:
3) It's got everything to do with this as this conversation is about midfielders, so I am bringing up something stupid you said 2 days ago..
4) 'i do not blame richards' Ay? You've just slated him? I haven't got personal, if you've bothered to look over Phils posts you'll see what I mean.
5) I don't think we do need a keeper at this precise moment. We have 3 so why would you go and add a 4th before strengthening other parts of the squad? Are you actually serious or on a wind up?
Oh, and I never said we didn't need defenders, I said we didn't need a goalkeeper right now, so please don't try and put words in my mouth.
We need a centre defender or two, and a centre midfielder or two and a forward. But no, lets go and get a 4th goalkeeper.. :lol:
Laughable.

I know you don't like getting criticized for your grammar but that was really difficult to read, if your fullstop and capital letter buttons have broken, please use the on screen keyboard to add them.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:40 pm

We need another keeper but we don't need any midfielders? :shock:

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr Hutchings definitely posts on UTS :mrgreen:

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Huddersfield Town (H) League 1 Saturday 15/1/11.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:41 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
DanWalsallFC wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:
cal's a saddler wrote:I don't believe you can actually go and find the footage to show the error Phil!!!!!!!
For goodness sake get a life!
There are other members of the squad who make errors, don't play well, make the wrong decisions and don't play well but do you constantly groan and moan at them and pinpoint every error they make? No you don't.
I don't usually get so wound up but your obsession with blaming Richards for everything is even beginning to annoy me now. For goodness sake shut up.

What about the obsession from people on here who constantly try to prove Phil wrong?

Which is caused by the obsession of Phil being an absolute plank.
It's actually become quite stupid that he blames every last thing on Richards, and Richards alone.

Correct. Before Richards, it was Wright. After Richards it will be someone else.

The fact is when Phil doesn't like someone because they wear the wrong colour boots or they're a Gemini star sign, every loose pass, every missed chance, every goalkeeping error, global warming and rising fuel prices will be blamed on that current hate figure for 90 minutes. No one else will be blamed for everything and 7 days of personal and work frustration is vented at one person. Anyone of us could sit next to Phil at a match and point out everything good that Richards does and someone else would get credit, and at the same time we could point out all the bad things other players do and there would be an excuse for that. No wonder opinions are not taken seriously.

The reason swifty sticks up for Phil, is because they both have the same obsessive, tunnel visioned thoughts about Bonser. Peas in a pod. You can't see the wider picture in a pod.

Can you explain to me what the wider picture is when it comes to Boner then please? Because as far as I'm concerned, there isn't one!

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:50 pm

tinned
says we need midfielders not defenders and not a keeper
ladies and gentlemen a dogaface post
dan
its hard for you to understand because you cant understand football talk sorry

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:52 pm

morethanuknow wrote:tinned
dan

:| How old are you?

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:53 pm

dan
sorry mate no reply to you anymore

Never said such thing that we don't need new defenders. Learn to read properly.

I did say we don't need another keeper (Wacka first choice and one of the others is suitable back up).

I did say we need new midfielders, we have done since August.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:57 pm

dan

Yet you've said that our midfield is plenty good enough and that we should be replacing defenders - especially Butler.

As for football talk, is that just talk, but without complete sentences, full stops and commas?

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:02 pm

can i let you into a little secret one of our keepers as been told he can leave. wacka doesnt give a flying fluk because hes waitning on hes pension
so that leaves bevan .im afraid to say we will go down if bevan stays in net
SO YES WE NEED A KEEPER 1ST
and then sought out the defence
we have no replacment for any of the forwards at the moment
and then finaly we get to the midfield but for some strange reason you think we need midfielders 1st

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:10 pm

morethanuknow wrote:can i let you into a little secret one of our keepers as been told he can leave. wacka doesnt give a flying fluk because hes waitning on hes pension
so that leaves bevan .im afraid to say we will go down if bevan stays in net
SO YES WE NEED A KEEPER 1ST
and then sought out the defence
we have no replacment for any of the forwards at the moment
and then finaly we get to the midfield but for some strange reason you think we need midfielders 1st

I don't. I think we need a centre half and a central midfielder to come in at the same time - ie. now or as soon as we can get them.
If I had to draw up a list, I'd also say we need a left back (or McGivern under a decent manager), someone to play on the right of midfield, and a striker with raw pace. They all come secondary to a centre half and a midfielder who can play alongside Richards though.

Regardless of how close to the end of his career he is, Jimmy Walker does care and is good enough to look after things in goal until the end of the season.
I'm not surprised about your 'secret'. Brain, presumably the goalkeeper you're referring to, hasn't proven himself at this level.

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:34 pm

you are right wacca is good enough but why not play him hes fit
ive heared we have a couple of players on trial

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:44 pm

morethanuknow wrote:you are right wacca is good enough but why not play him hes fit
ive heared we have a couple of players on trial

Maybe he wasn't fully fit, he's been injured for awhile. I expect him back for the Exeter game.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:14 pm

Can we add Morethanuknow to the Verb thread?

Simply Baffling.

I think we should bring back Eric Skora, the last midfielder I saw with any class.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:40 pm

We don't need a new keeper. Walker needs to sign a new contract until the end of this season yes, but signing a 4th? Bevan and Brain are good enough for back up. Why waste what ever funds we have available on a keeper?

In defence we need a new centre half to partner Butler. Either that or give McDonald a couple of games and see what he can do. If its the McDonald of last season we are sorted. Maybe he could perform under Smith/our new manager. We need a new left back. Lescott did ok against Huddersfield but they didn't really attack down there right side. They didn't play to our weakness. Right back is fine.

Midfield is the problem for me. In the centre we are too weak. Marshall is league 2 at best. We might as well play with 10 men when hes on the field. How often does he see the ball? Richards is good on the ball but not strong enough. He backs out of tackles to often for me. He creates goals and scores them but not strong enough. I feel Richards and a hard hitting centre midfielder (Dwayne Mattis!) would help the team out massively. Our wingers are ok on there day. Nicholls was decent against Huddersfield but that Nicholls isn't seen often enough. Gray has his 5 mins a game where he does well. That's not enough. Jones is past it now I think.

Upfront we need to replace Reid. We have two real forwards in Grigg and Macken. Nicholls says he can play there but we all know he cant. We need another forward to add a bit of depth.

Adding a goalkeeper is only going to dig into our budget, we cant afford that. We need to get players in in positions we need.

We all knew Walker wouldn't play on saturday. He only started training again on thursday and for a bloke of his age to get back up to match fitness, its going to take more than 2 days of training. I think he will be back saturday.

Oh and morethanuknow, this may seem a little hypocritical but please can you add a few capital letters, full stops and comma's? Just some basic punctuation to make it easier for us to read. Im not the best speller and crap with grammar but least I make it easier to read for the viewers and other posters.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:01 pm

dan

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:04 pm

swiftyboy wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
DanWalsallFC wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:
cal's a saddler wrote:I don't believe you can actually go and find the footage to show the error Phil!!!!!!!
For goodness sake get a life!
There are other members of the squad who make errors, don't play well, make the wrong decisions and don't play well but do you constantly groan and moan at them and pinpoint every error they make? No you don't.
I don't usually get so wound up but your obsession with blaming Richards for everything is even beginning to annoy me now. For goodness sake shut up.

What about the obsession from people on here who constantly try to prove Phil wrong?

Which is caused by the obsession of Phil being an absolute plank.
It's actually become quite stupid that he blames every last thing on Richards, and Richards alone.

Correct. Before Richards, it was Wright. After Richards it will be someone else.

The fact is when Phil doesn't like someone because they wear the wrong colour boots or they're a Gemini star sign, every loose pass, every missed chance, every goalkeeping error, global warming and rising fuel prices will be blamed on that current hate figure for 90 minutes. No one else will be blamed for everything and 7 days of personal and work frustration is vented at one person. Anyone of us could sit next to Phil at a match and point out everything good that Richards does and someone else would get credit, and at the same time we could point out all the bad things other players do and there would be an excuse for that. No wonder opinions are not taken seriously.

The reason swifty sticks up for Phil, is because they both have the same obsessive, tunnel visioned thoughts about Bonser. Peas in a pod. You can't see the wider picture in a pod.

Can you explain to me what the wider picture is when it comes to Boner then please? Because as far as I'm concerned, there isn't one!

This was a really wide picture

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:45 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:Can you explain to me what the wider picture is when it comes to Boner then please? Because as far as I'm concerned, there isn't one!

That's a tapestry, thicko.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:58 pm

Jorge14 wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:Can you explain to me what the wider picture is when it comes to Boner then please? Because as far as I'm concerned, there isn't one!

That's a tapestry, thicko.

A picture of a tepestry ;)

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:17 pm

matt the saddler
another fan who says midfield is the problem
honestly do you know how stupid that sounds when we leak as many goals as we do .
can you please tell me apart from richards mess up what did the midfield do wrong to give 4 goals away seeing your saying its midfield
you say get butler a partner .so butler hasnt done anything wrong. can i let you into a secret he couldnt get a game for rochdale on loan becuse of hes lack of football brain
for me butler played a big part in 3 of there goals and you still blame midfield what a laugh
your comment on marshall is a joke considering who gave the ball away for there first goal
and who headed into hes own net the previous game
but i still dont call richards but you love him lets face it
i will say this with richards on the pitch we might aswel give them a goal start which makes it hard when in your words we are starting with ten men

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wal ... all-gaffe/?

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:30 pm

Your the only fan that don't see we need a midfielder!

I said we need a defender yes, but a midfielder is a must! You cant just blame the keeper and defence for conceding, its the midfield aswell.

We cand judge each player on one performance.

My comment about Marshall is a joke? Thats big coming from the kid that things Marshall is a Championship quality player.

What exactly has Marshall done? Dont say a 'championship run' because lets be honest, one little run dont make you a championship player does it?

You can have all the movement in the world, be the best player off the ball, but if you aint got the quality with the ball then you wont get anywhere!

Marshall is crap, face it.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:32 pm

yes? Your point with that link is?

No one has said he wasnt to blame for the goal, we all know he was.

Least he has come out, stood up and held his hands up. Well done for that Martin.

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:40 pm

matt
dont get off the subject
did matt richards gift the other teams 2 goals in the last couple of games yes or no
im not commenting on marshall as you feel he isnt good enough i disagree but thats my opinion .
and please if your going to big up any of the players you think are good please try and explain why then maybe i could rip your opinion apart beacuse you still think midfield is the problem and that makes me cringe at just how stupid some of our fans are
the point of the link is where did it say the midfield cost us 4 goals

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season