Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Huddersfield Town (H) League 1 Saturday 15/1/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:50 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:We still miss that pratt in midfield. Our midfield is weak with any option we put out. Richards hasn't got the defensive nous, Taundry is a parks player and Marshall goes missing in games. This means the ball is constantly being pushed towards our defence. This, my harties, equals more goals.

I wrote on another thread that we are effectively playing 4-2-4 with Nicholls / Gray (or Jones) which might be OK if the other two were tackling / defensive midfielders. Unfortunately they are not.

It's no wonder we ship so many goals.

It's all Richards' fault though. Not the unbalanced midfield that Hutchings put together.

Nowt to do with it.

We all know who is to blame

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Re: Huddersfield Town (H) League 1 Saturday 15/1/11.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:50 pm

if anybody watching the game today comes on here and blames the midfield for today needs to take up another sport because honestly you havent got a clue

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:51 pm

morethanuknow wrote:so you too are blaming the midfield
lets go off todays game was it richards and marshalls fault NO
END OF ARGUNENT
and we can stay up if we sought out the KEEPER AND DEFENCE
and please dont slag taundry because he isnt playing but some still want to call him

I do not disagree that we have major problems with our defence, however, it is part of a bigger problem. Our midfield options are so limited that it virtually picks itself. We are lightweight and therefore our (poor) defence becomes overworked.

It sounds like Bevan had a poor game today, however, based on Tuesday's performance it was the correct decision to pick him in my view.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:52 pm

swiftyboy wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:We still miss that pratt in midfield. Our midfield is weak with any option we put out. Richards hasn't got the defensive nous, Taundry is a parks player and Marshall goes missing in games. This means the ball is constantly being pushed towards our defence. This, my harties, equals more goals.

I wrote on another thread that we are effectively playing 4-2-4 with Nicholls / Gray (or Jones) which might be OK if the other two were tackling / defensive midfielders. Unfortunately they are not.

It's all Richards' fault though. Not the unbalanced midfield that Hutchings put together.

Nowt to do with it.

I'm not sure SJ was even at the game!? :?

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:57 pm

i heared our number 1 target is a keeper and 1 has been told to leave dont know which one so i feel these 2 in charge know our pitfalls and yes you are right
we need more options in the centre of mid and up front but i can honestly say our last few games defending woes as got nothing to do with the centre of midfield

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:01 pm

in reply to you saying our defence gets overworked today they didnt have much to do and they couldnt deal with it and they was 100% not overworked today
lets take peterbourough there fans say we looked like the team chasing promotion going forward but are woeful at the back and if you look at the general feeling about us recently this is what a lot off the oppisition fans think

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:05 pm

morethanuknow wrote:if anybody watching the game today comes on here and blames the midfield for today needs to take up another sport because honestly you havent got a clue

I agree >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxqbeSMF ... re=related

JackoSaddler

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:15 pm

Should have got at least a point today. So much improvement under Smith, but we wont stay up with this defence.
We are down, i just hope we appoint the right man.

Also took a video of Richards free kick...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYVwOnDTUiY[/youtube]

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:27 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
Torbaysaddler wrote:Still not attracting home support...... gate 3,827

..and 898 of them were from Huddersfield.

The notion that Hutchings' sacking would suddenly bring the stayaways flocking back was always suspect. The majority of them stopped attending before Hutchings' tenure began. We have been living on around 3000ish home fans for some time now.

Indeed we have. Today's 'home' attendance of 2,929 is only just over 400 down on the amount of Saddlers who turned out on the opening day of the season against the Dongas from MK. Either our support has remained remarkably level during this period [given how the season has panned out] or we are down to the hardcore. It's probably the latter, although I bet we will shave off another few hundred when D & R visit on a Tuesday night in the not too distant future.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:41 pm

Dissapointed to lose, Huddersfield can think themselves very lucky. Our defence (bar Butler who was excellent, bar a dodgy pass for the first) is abysmal and needs changing almost throughout. Westlake perhaps makes up in the fact he gets forward, despite being naive at the back. Started well, nice goal from Nicholls even if the keeper should probably have saved it. Slightly poor pass across defence from Butler, poor control from Richards, pace of an elephant and a slip from the keeper and Kilbane makes it 1-1. Second should have been ruled out for a push and climbing on Butler by that thug McCombe (6ft 7 and used all of it to his advantage, sometimes against the laws of the game). Second half, we got an equaliser through Richards, lovely free-kick and i dont think Huddersfield got out of their half for more than 5 seconds until they broke away and got the set piece for the 3rd, heads went and they got a late 4th. Incredibly un-deserved and rubbed in faces by their arrogant goalkeeper Smithies who thought it was appropriate to stand and celebrate infront of a stand full of very frustrated home fans - deserves the karma he'l one day get.

Just a word on bevan - He's 21 odd, has barely played any first team football infront of meaningful fans. He's looked solid in the last 2 games, making excellent saves to keep us in it at Tranmere last Saturday, his handling is much better than Brain and his decision making (bar the 4th goal today) are much superior. Brain's a goalkepper that's made over 150 appearances at league level and 'should' be hitting the prime of his career. Rubbish, give Bevan a break, he'l be a good keeper given time.

Butler deserved MOTM, strong in the tackle, won numeorus headers and gets stuck in. I feel sorry for him. Having to organise our defence is something im not sure even Jose Mourihno and the worlds best defensive coach could do. Utterly abysmal.

Special mentions to Butler, Richards, Grigg, Gray and Westlake.

As for the rest, Nicholls was okay but frustrates me with his in-consistencies and being so weak. Macken doesn't do enough for someone that used to play in the premier league. I read his goalscoring record the other day and let's just say he hasn't put the ball in the net much for at least 5 or 6 years - he's past it. Marshall wouldn't get in a mid table conference team, he's really just abysmal. Paceless, clueless and skill-less, he can't even control a ball for god sake. His set pieces were atrocious. Lescott scares me, 32 and looks 17. He's just 'sub-standard in everyway'. Smith has gone so far backwards in 18 months, from a championship player in the making to an Ian Roper that can't defend, never mind play football!

Better performance today, but the season lies in the stats. We've scored 3, 2 and 2 in our last 3 games and gained 2 points. That tells you EXACTLY where we the problem lies!

League 2 beckons.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:46 pm

I went today and first i've got to mention the positives. We played some cracking stuff at times and going forward, our players knocked the ball about better than i've seen them do for a long time. I really enjoyed most of it today and actually thought they looked like they care (which is what i've wanted for ages). There was a confidence in our play that has been missing all season and for that, Dean Smith deserves alot of credit.

Unfortunately the negatives cost us the game. Woeful defending... and by that I mean absolutely terrible ... have given them 4 goals. Despite all the good play going forward, we are not good enough to out score Huddersfield and so defending properly is a must. We had to really work for our chances today, be it by winning tackles or by using our skill and technique - Huddersfield just had to wait for an error or get a set piece. I feel really sorry for most of the lads today because they put a real shift in but we are still definately down in my opinion with the only plus being at least we may win the odd game and play some decent stuff on the way to division 2.

Must mention Westlake, who I thought was excellent, and Marshall, who was awful - so laboured at times it's painful. I really wish McDonald could get some form because we're crying out for a dominant, strong centre half, similar to what he was last year. Also, Grigg impressed me today. Has a good leap and wins his share of headers, has a good touch, gets stuck in and actually plays with his brain and hopefully he'll continue to get his chance for the rest of the season.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:58 pm

Sadders wrote:Just a word on bevan - He's 21 odd, has barely played any first team football infront of meaningful fans. He's looked solid in the last 2 games, making excellent saves to keep us in it at Tranmere last Saturday, his handling is much better than Brain and his decision making (bar the 4th goal today) are much superior. Brain's a goalkepper that's made over 150 appearances at league level and 'should' be hitting the prime of his career. Rubbish, give Bevan a break, he'l be a good keeper given time.

Maybe he will, but just because he's better than Brain doesn't necessarily mean he should be the man to play a key part at such a pivotal point in our season.

I've heard that he played reasonably well in both our our last two games but today I'd lay some of the blame at his door for two of the goals. A goalkeeper should always take some blame when a corner is headed in with ease inside the six yard box and his ball to Westlake right at the death was risky to say the least.

I hope we can keep him as an understudy to Walker for the forseeable future and then see how things go. It's a difficult one though, because he probably needs games under his belt to learn from mistakes like the ones he made today.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:03 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Nowt to do with it.

I'm not sure SJ was even at the game!? :?

Who's SJ?

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:35 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Sadders wrote:Just a word on bevan - He's 21 odd, has barely played any first team football infront of meaningful fans. He's looked solid in the last 2 games, making excellent saves to keep us in it at Tranmere last Saturday, his handling is much better than Brain and his decision making (bar the 4th goal today) are much superior. Brain's a goalkepper that's made over 150 appearances at league level and 'should' be hitting the prime of his career. Rubbish, give Bevan a break, he'l be a good keeper given time.

Maybe he will, but just because he's better than Brain doesn't necessarily mean he should be the man to play a key part at such a pivotal point in our season.

I've heard that he played reasonably well in both our our last two games but today I'd lay some of the blame at his door for two of the goals. A goalkeeper should always take some blame when a corner is headed in with ease inside the six yard box and his ball to Westlake right at the death was risky to say the least.

I hope we can keep him as an understudy to Walker for the forseeable future and then see how things go. It's a difficult one though, because he probably needs games under his belt to learn from mistakes like the ones he made today.

Would agree, with retrospect, on this. He's not ready yet (I also thought that he should have been on his line for the 1st as Kilbane had been "forced" wide enough by Smith, the late rush out made Kilbane's job easier), but as an understudy to wacca, he's adequate and should be given time to develop.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:38 pm

Nice to read some positive reports for a change. Not pleased at another defeat, but pleased the performances have improved at least.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:54 pm

boringteacher wrote:I also thought that he should have been on his line for the 1st as Kilbane had been "forced" wide enough by Smith, the late rush out made Kilbane's job easier)

I thought if anything it was an early rush - unfortunately he slipped, and this then left him in no-man's land with no alternative but to try and collect the ball. Blame for the first goal can be shared between Bevan, Butler, Richards and Smith all of whom could have prevented it.

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:10 pm

the 4th was definately bevans fault, and id say he could maybe have been more decisive on the 1st but on the 2nd the thugs player had his arm across bevan pushing him back into the goal so he didnt have a chance to get the ball. Was just another example of the thugish cheating tactics that the ref let them get away with all game. We were bullied out of the points today. Which makes the decision to let mattis go and not replace him even more stupid. Saying that we should have had the intelligence to realise the ref wasnt giving anything and do it back! I suppose thats why theyre playing for walsall...

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:49 pm

Thought the lads did well today even though we lost, looked a much improved team.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:50 pm

Ref let them get away with a lot of pushing and pulling first half, but seemed to penalise it more in the second half.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:53 pm

Much better today. The team looked like they actually wanted it. We even had a few songs. We desperately need to sort out the midfield and teach the defence how to erm, defend. Probably already down but at least there was some signs of life.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:05 pm

Agreed Tinned the fans got right behind the players today. Feel we can get 4 points from the next 2 games.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:52 pm

my voice was completley gone, absolutley loved it, was a brilliant home atmosphere for once.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:05 am

Pedro wrote:Agreed Tinned the fans got right behind the players today. Feel we can get 4 points from the next 2 games.

Absolutely laughable!
I will have a pint of what you been drinking today.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:08 am

Scottie_H wrote:
If we play like we did second half we will take apart some of the teams in this league.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately we will be taken apart a lot more.

9 goals conceded in 3 games. Have you not noticed?

Or do you think our current team have the capability of scoring 4 a game? :roll: :roll: :roll:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:10 am

Pedro wrote:Thought the lads did well today even though we lost, looked a much improved team.

Yes, very much improved after conceding 4 goals. :roll:

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:35 am

Sheff, people will only respect what you have to say about the performance when you decide to make the journey down to watch us!

How can you judge a performance when you wasn't at the game?

I dont think we are saying we were amazing, we are saying we are much improved. Huddersfield score for fun, so for them to score 4 its not surprising really.

You cant expect us to sack our manager and for us to turn brilliant all a sudden.

As I say, watch a DVD of us against Tranmere at home or Notts County at home then watch one of the Huddersfield game. Even you would see an improvement.

If you want a DVD of the games just ask Mr Hutchings. He has enough of them.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:43 am

morethanuknow wrote:i heared our number 1 target is a keeper and 1 has been told to leave dont know which one so i feel these 2 in charge know our pitfalls and yes you are right
we need more options in the centre of mid and up front but i can honestly say our last few games defending woes as got nothing to do with the centre of midfield

So if the centre of midfield comes apart over and over during a game, letting their midfielders, wingers and strikers attack, that's not a problem?

That tends to make it a 6 on 4 due to our wingers being so far up the pitch. Not overworked at all though, eh?

Scottie_H
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:31 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Scottie_H wrote:
If we play like we did second half we will take apart some of the teams in this league.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately we will be taken apart a lot more.

9 goals conceded in 3 games. Have you not noticed?

Or do you think our current team have the capability of scoring 4 a game? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Well - based upon what I saw AT THE MATCH yesterday - yes; the current team does have the capability to score four goals a game. The lack of confidence that has been a rot in our club all season is starting to disappear. We are odds on to go down, but at least we are now playing football again and that gives me a bit of hope.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:56 am

Trying very hard to remain optimistic , Smith said he's been given the go ahead to bring in new players .

You cannot go into to games needing to score 2 goals to gain 1 point , if we have any chance of avoiding the drop defenders must be top priority .

UTS

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:58 am

One change would have won us the game.That is if we had their giant centre half I though he was superb.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season