Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Huddersfield Town (H) League 1 Saturday 15/1/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
pco_walsall
UTS Regular

Re: Huddersfield Town (H) League 1 Saturday 15/1/11.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:40 pm

Really enjoyable game, but you can't expect to win games when you are conceding this many goals each game.

At least we are playing the ball on the deck, the second half was very encouraging but silly mistakes have once again caught us out, but at least the intent to get the ball down was there, unlike under CH and MOC. Bevan was at fault for the second and fourth goal, and he didn't really have anything else to do, which is credit to how we played.

However we are probably to far behind now, we are sadly going down :(

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:55 pm

pco_walsall wrote:Really enjoyable game, but you can't expect to win games when you are conceding this many goals each game.

At least we are playing the ball on the deck, the second half was very encouraging but silly mistakes have once again caught us out, but at least the intent to get the ball down was there, unlike under CH and MOC. Bevan was at fault for the second and fourth goal, and he didn't really have anything else to do, which is credit to how we played.

Agreed, although I think there was a clear push for the second. If we'd played like that all season we wouldn't be in the situation we're in now. We ran the second half, but the ball wouldn't fall nicely in front of their goal, and silly mistakes cost us at the other end. It's why we're where we are, and Huddersfield are why they are.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:56 pm

If someone had said to me at 2.55pm last week we were going to score 7 goals in three games, i'd have thought we were going to take a decent point haul: instead we have two and relegation is an almost certainty.

Much improved performance since last home game and even for me, since last Saturday: some decent passages of play and for about half hour of second half, we looked by far the better side. But we were playing the 4th place side and they aren't there by luck-they scored the first decent chance they had of second half and that was that.

Some really good individual performances: Westlake was very good for me coming forward, Macken was always looking for the ball and Grigg was tidy. What was pleasing again was a bit of fight: at least we looked like we cared.

WFC_Jimmy
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:58 pm

Went to the game today, first time in a while and i absolutly gutted not to be walking out with a least a point :(

We showed some fighting spirit today which was pleasing but huddersfield's quality in the final thrid showed against our poor defence.

Nicholls goal was pleasing to the eye, very nice build up play with a few one twos and the ball squeezed under the keeper.

Huddersfield's first goal was very sloppy play either by Butler or Richards, but Kilbane took his goal well.

Their second was from a set piece in which their 6ft 7'' defender climbed all over butler to head in.

The equaliser was superb! Fair play Matty Richards.

We dominated the most of the second half but our final ball or lack of it and quality in front of goal showed. This is why we are at the bottom and Huddersfield are near the top.

Huddersfield souldd count themsleves lucky but managed to get themseleves ahead with more sloppy set piece defending and finished us off with a fourth on the counter.

All in all, a very entertaining game, we showed glimses of a good footballing side, very tidy passes but lack quality in the final third and defending is weak.

The players who stood out were: Andy Butler, Daryl Westlake, Matt Richards, Alex Nicholls and i thought Jon Macken did ok aswell.

UTS.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:59 pm

It reminded me of the Swindon game.

Run the second half and still end up feeling like you've had a massive kick in the balls :(

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:11 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:It reminded me of the Swindon game.

Run the second half and still end up feeling like you've had a massive kick in the balls :(

No less than a Gary Neville fan deserves :D

Gutting result. The rate we are conceding goals we cannot hope to stay up :(

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:12 pm

Good game of football. Walsall played well for first 20 mins, then for most of the second half. I thought Macken held the ball up really well and never gave up. We are a little too lightweight - especially when faced with a bunch of bruisers like Huddersfield. I thought the ref let the game flow really well - but we didn't give as much needle as Huddersfield and perhaps paid the penalty for allowing ourselves to be bullied. Second goal for them being a case in point, they were just stronger and more determined. Once back at 2-2, we were all over them for a long time, but couldn't get a goal.

Shame we lost... already resigned to the fact that we are down, so I did managed to enjoy it.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:12 pm

Really felt gutted but also a slight bit proud leaving the stadium today, we deserved a draw as least.

We showed some great fight and heart during the 2nd half and the fans responded really well to them, it just a shame the near chances didn't work and they caught us on the break.

I'm not gonna lie, I think we're not gonna stay up 8 points (inc GD) seems too much and come end of the season we play Saints, Charlton, Brighton and Wednesday but hey if we play like that with a new CB & CM added to the squad anything can happen.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:16 pm

deanonev69 wrote:If someone had said to me at 2.55pm last week we were going to score 7 goals in three games, i'd have thought we were going to take a decent point haul: instead we have two and relegation is an almost certainty.

On the bright side, if someone had said to you that we were going to concede 9 goals in three games, you wouldn't have thought we were going to get any points! At least we got 2...

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:16 pm

Sign a bloody centre half. You still shouldnt concede 4 at home.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:24 pm

First game I have seen under smith and I was very impressed with how we started and went about our football. Westlake looks like he's going to get progress well the same with grigg, can see us getting money for them soonish. The build up for the first goal was quality

I honestly think the equaliser and 2nd really knocked the wknd out of our sales, it was so frustrating the rest of the half just passed by with us just not able to get back to the original game plan.

Que second half. Think deano have a good speach because the lads got thier game back on track.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:26 pm

Well, that showed exactly why the two sides are where they are in the table. Huddersfield had enough ability in their side to stick in there and wait for us to make mistakes. Which we did, and boy did they cost us.

I don't think Smith can be blamed for anything he's done since being put in caretaker charge. There was definitely an improved effort from the players and a more positive ethos about our play. That said, effort will only get you so far, and we don't have enough ability through the side to get results.

We started really well and made a concerted effort to get the ball on the floor to Macken and Grigg, which worked really well as Nicholls gave us the lead. It wasn't long however, before we showed our bad side and Richards poor anticipation and control gifted them a goal. To make matters worse, a routine corner flashes across the six yard box just minutes later and is headed in from what, a yard out? Poor defending and poor goalkeeping.

Richards' free kick was exquisite, and our spell of play for the 10-15 minutes which followed was encouraging. Again though, we flashed two balls across the box which weren't converted and Huddersfield remained in the game. Another piece of shocking defending from a set piece and some naive risk-taking between Bevan and Westlake later and we've lost the game 4-2.

We've got enough in that side to score goals. Grigg and Macken, whilst not too active in front of goal, did link up well and did give their back four plenty to think about. Gray was a handful, whilst Nicholls didn't really threaten after his goal, which was well taken despite an element of fortune.

Our biggest problem is that we just don't have a centre half pairing. Butler looks like a League One defender playing in a League Two side. As for Manny Smith, where do we start? Yes, he can head a ball, but he's too slow and can't pass. When they scored their first goal, Smith's attempt at defending made Kilbane look like Usain Bolt - he's just not good enough. And Lescott worries me whenever he has someone running at him too. He's a 32 year old professional with about 250 appearances at this level to his name. Why does he look so clueless when he defends?

In midfield, Richards and Marshall are both fine with the ball at their feet, but as a combination don't cover the back four enough, I don't think. We need a real nasty presence in there. As much as I hate to say it, we really lack someone who'll give their opponent a good kicking now and again.

All in all, there's no doubt that Smith's approach has improved things. It might have even given a decent foundation for a new manager to come in and freshen things up further. As for giving him the job full-time though, Mr. Gamble said himself that we're in a results business when Hutchings was sacked. 2 points from 3 games isn't enough to give us a hope of survival.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:07 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:And Lescott worries me whenever he has someone running at him too. He's a 32 year old professional with about 250 appearances at this level to his name. Why does he look so clueless when he defends?

Played loads of games in midfield hasnt he? Not surprising as he is a tat defender.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:09 pm

latviancheese wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:And Lescott worries me whenever he has someone running at him too. He's a 32 year old professional with about 250 appearances at this level to his name. Why does he look so clueless when he defends?

Played loads of games in midfield hasnt he? Not surprising as he is a tat defender.

Not sure about that. He's looked even more tat when he's played in midfield for us.
The Lescott I remember from previous years is the one who was constantly up and down that line, creating chances from fullback. He tore us apart when playing for Bristol Rovers at left back a couple of years back.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Torbaysaddler wrote:Still not attracting home support...... gate 3,827

..and 898 of them were from Huddersfield.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:20 pm

We still miss that arsehole in midfield. Our midfield is weak with any option we put out. Richards hasn't got the defensive nous, Taundry is a parks player and Marshall goes missing in games. This means the ball is constantly being pushed towards our defence. This, my harties, equals more goals.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:We still miss that pratt in midfield. Our midfield is weak with any option we put out. Richards hasn't got the defensive nous, Taundry is a parks player and Marshall goes missing in games. This means the ball is constantly being pushed towards our defence. This, my harties, equals more goals.

I wish we had Dwayne Mattis back :(

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:26 pm

BathSaddler wrote:

The notion that Hutchings' sacking would suddenly bring the stayaways flocking back was always suspect. The majority of them stopped attending before Hutchings' tenure began. We have been living on around 3000ish home fans for some time now.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:29 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:We still miss that pratt in midfield. Our midfield is weak with any option we put out. Richards hasn't got the defensive nous, Taundry is a parks player and Marshall goes missing in games. This means the ball is constantly being pushed towards our defence. This, my harties, equals more goals.

I wrote on another thread that we are effectively playing 4-2-4 with Nicholls / Gray (or Jones) which might be OK if the other two were tackling / defensive midfielders. Unfortunately they are not.

It's no wonder we ship so many goals.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:31 pm

Relegated.

There's more chance of Peter Sutcliffe getting parole than of us staying up this season.

Still, I actually enjoyed a game for the first time this season, maybe due to the team trying their (limited) hearts out. While there was lots of attacking intent, there was still a fair amount of hoofball in a swirling wind, but at least you sensed a team had been instructed to actually try to play football.

The minuses: Bevan - no wonder Brain's been number one this season. Had a role in 3 of their goals. Looked like Bambi watching mommy being shot by the hunter. Got to wonder on Smith's managerial ability if he thinks that we were more likely to get a result with him than a half fit Wacca. Manny - what the hell has happened to him? You could argue that he should be culled at the end of the season if his contract's up. I thought he'd eventually be a championship centre back. Marshall - won't be good enough for us in the conference when Bhuna finally lands us there.

Not too many positives - thought that Westlake shows genuine promise (I'd love to see him given a go in midfield - he was more threat than Nicholls). Gray showed a bit of class - presumably playing for next years contract? Butler - good to see someone actually trying to organise the shambles known as our defence.

Better, but still no bloody good. Thanks for the team building dogface.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:33 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

I wrote on another thread that we are effectively playing 4-2-4 with Nicholls / Gray (or Jones) which might be OK if the other two were tackling / defensive midfielders. Unfortunately they are not.

It's no wonder we ship so many goals.

It's all Richards' fault though. Not the unbalanced midfield that Hutchings put together.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:33 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:

The notion that Hutchings' sacking would suddenly bring the stayaways flocking back was always suspect. The majority of them stopped attending before Hutchings' tenure began. We have been living on around 3000ish home fans for some time now.

:lol: If Bonser thinks that people are staying away because of the manager and not him, then the bloke has finally lost it in his old age.

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:37 pm

you 2 are a joke to blame any pairing in midfield is the biggest pile of plop i have read on here in recent weeks.
in the last 4 games the midfied is not to blame its the defence its the defence its the defence how hard is it for you to see
take today at times we ripped them apart for long spells but then enter the defence yes the defence and the keeper the ones who are causing all the problems
its not richards its not marshall its not taundry its not geddes its the defence
my rant is finished

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:40 pm

morethanuknow wrote:you 2 are a joke to blame any pairing in midfield is the biggest pile of plop i have read on here in recent weeks.
in the last 4 games the midfied is not to blame its the defence its the defence its the defence how hard is it for you to see
take today at times we ripped them apart for long spells but then enter the defence yes the defence and the keeper the ones who are causing all the problems
its not richards its not marshall its not taundry its not geddes its the defence
my rant is finished

The midfield are not responsible for any defensive duties then? Numpty.

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:41 pm

not today [post moderated]

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:43 pm

So tell me, which matches should the midfield be protecting the defence?

Just curious, like.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:44 pm

morethanuknow wrote:you 2 are a joke to blame any pairing in midfield is the biggest pile of plop i have read on here in recent weeks.
my rant is finished

Ever heard the expression, attack as a ream and defend as a team? Probably not, given your "rant".

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:46 pm

so you too are blaming the midfield
lets go off todays game was it richards and marshalls fault NO
END OF ARGUNENT
and we can stay up if we sought out the KEEPER AND DEFENCE
and please dont slag taundry because he isnt playing but some still want to call him

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:47 pm

my rant is finished

:?: :arrow: :|

So what exactly do the midfield do?
That post is the biggest pile of 'plop' ive read on here. Ever.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:48 pm

just a few points i want to make.

i absolutley loved that game, the dip in performance one they went 2-1 was the usual frustrating walsall, but from second half onwards i was a happy saddler.

i feel they could of been out of sight before they managed too, on a number of occasions we ot very luky with JUST manaing to get a toe to divert a killer pass they they more than likley would of scored from, that happended on a number of occasions

BUTLER looks class (not hard against our lot)

finally, i walked out of that ground and all the way home with a buzz that had been missing for ages, alot of credit to the fans, we really did come together and try our absolute hardest for the lads for a very long period, so much passion was in the stands today, i loved it, hope we can keep it up.

p.s despite the defeat i really do feel that this season can be saved

UTS

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season