Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Huddersfield Town (H) League 1 Saturday 15/1/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Jorge14
UTS Legend

Re: Huddersfield Town (H) League 1 Saturday 15/1/11.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:18 am

What a blow, because for all the increased levels of performance, that is still 7 points out of the last 9 available we have dropped.

Yesterday was a really enjoyable game, with both teams looking strong going forward and weak at the back. Westlake and Lescott looked impressive coming forward, and I thought but for his contribution to the fourth, Westlake had a case for man of the match, but both leave something to be desired defensively. This will come with Westlake, and we are absolutely right to be giving him a run in the first team - Lescott is, from what I've seen and read, a better option than McGivern. In the centre, Butler had a strong game whilst Smith's confidence ebbed and flowed; he couldn't wait to get rid of the ball in the first half, he seemed to be at rock-bottom, but he came back strongly in the second half. The goalkeeper had a mixed game also. Unlucky to slip for the first, the fact remains he still cost us the goal. Again with the fourth, it was the right idea to get it out short because we'd been knocking the ball long with little success towards Grigg and Macken since the tempo dropped with about 15 left. That said, I think with a run in the side Bevan might impress; I like that he plays a naturally high line and one would have thought he can learn alot about this from Walker.

Nicholls and Gray flatter to deceive. They both had spells where they looked dangerous, but more often than not when they had the ball it was clear nothing was going to come of it. Still, Nicholls took his goal well and moved into space well and Gray put a shift in. In the middle of the park, Richards had a very neat and tidy game, retaining possession well. However, he isn't a bits and pieces player and to ask him to put the graft in alongside a player like Marshall weakens one of our best attacking threats. From what I saw yesterday, Richards is the key player in the side. He and Macken, and to a lesser extent Gray, stand head-and-shoulders above the others in terms of having a football brain. I'm not saying we need a tough-tackling midfielder alongside him, but we do need someone who at least has the physical presence of a Mattis or a bit more tenacity than Marshall offers.

The real bright spot for me was the partnership between Macken and Grigg. I think there are goals in that partnership, and Macken holds the ball up superbly for this level, a real asset if you have the right players on the wing or attacking from midfield to capitalise. Too often, though, he held the ball up and because the support wasn't there he drifted too deep in search of it. That should have been Marshall's job, and I don't think he delivered. Grigg is raw, but he has something about him. He was up against two brutes of centre-halves yesterday who were all about elbows and shirt-tugging, and he gave them a bit of a going over. HIs style reminds a little of a less classy version of Fryatt.

Tactically we weren't far off, but to concede two from corners is criminal. We have to cut out the individual errors, and we have to take advantage of being on top in a game. This is two games in a row where I think we could have killed a game off and failed. Still, broadly positive, and with a furiously-note-taking Paul Trollope sat near me in the second half, we could have a new manager sooner than we might think.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:57 am

Jorge14 wrote:Richards had a very neat and tidy game, retaining possession well.

Except when he gifted possession to the opposition in the direct lead up to their first goal? From that moment on our confidence was shot, so thanks Mr Man of the Match.

So many people are fooled by Richards it's unbelievable - he had another very poor game yesterday, but scored a freekick, so he gets the plaudits :roll:

I really thought people who posted on games weren't that thick!

In the last 3 games Richards has been directly responsible for 3 goals we've conceded - he's a liability that consistently puts pressure on our defence.

I thought Butler, Westlake and Gray were all in with a shot of getting man of the match yesterday, but if we are to improve we really need to replace Richards with a proper midfielder that can run, tackle and pass - you know, the normal stuff a midfielder should be able to do.

Unfortunately though, I fear we are pretty much relegated now - given the teams we still have to play and our lack of confidence.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:01 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:Richards had a very neat and tidy game, retaining possession well.

Except when he gifted possession to the opposition in the direct lead up to their first goal? From that moment on our confidence was shot, so thanks Mr Man of the Match.

So many people are fooled by Richards it's unbelievable - he had another very poor game yesterday, but scored a freekick, so he gets the plaudits :roll:

In the last 3 games Richards has been directly responsible for 3 goals we've conceded - he's a liability that consistently puts pressure on our defence.

I thought Butler, Westlake and Gray were all in with a shot of getting man of the match yesterday, but if we are to improve we really need to replace Richards with a proper midfielder that can run, tackle and pass - you know, the normal stuff a midfielder should be able to do.

Unfortunately though, I fear we are pretty much relegated now - given the teams we still have to play and our lack of confidence.

Phil, we were relegated months ago. As for Richards, there are a lot of people on here that THINK they know about football, when they quite clearly don't

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:21 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Pedro wrote:Thought the lads did well today even though we lost, looked a much improved team.

Yes, very much improved after conceding 4 goals. :roll:

What would you know armchair fan.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

swiftyboy wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

Phil, we were relegated months ago. As for Richards, there are a lot of people on here that THINK they know about football, when they quite clearly don't

Quite clearly being a stayaway still gives you access to talk about players as if you've seen them every week.

There are people who THINK they know about football and there are people who don't even watch and still THINK they know.

*I think the Sheff random word capitalisation is catching.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

philthesaddler wrote:

Sorry for being thick! Obviously the MANY MANY people on here who constantly recognised that, although he isn't brilliant, he has been by far the best player this season, and attacking wise is the only player who links in midfield on a regular basis. Without his goals this season, where would we be? You obviously cannot see past any misplaced pass at all the good he does. FWIW, I thought he had a poor first half yesterday, but improved massively in the second. He wasn't my MOTM yesterday, but I found it hilarious - only because I knew it would piss you off so much :mrgreen: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:24 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

Sorry for being thick! Obviously the MANY MANY people on here who constantly recognised that, although he isn't brilliant, he has been by far the best player this season, and attacking wise is the only player who links in midfield on a regular basis. Without his goals this season, where would we be? You obviously cannot see past any misplaced pass at all the good he does. FWIW, I thought he had a poor first half yesterday, but improved massively in the second. He wasn't my MOTM yesterday, but I found it hilarious - only because I knew it would piss you off so much :mrgreen: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Me too. I still don't know anyone (apart from winding Phil up) who has lavished praise on him past "he's the best of a bad bunch."

But remember, Stevo. Phil has played football at the highest level, managed and wrote tactical books for Clough and Mourinho.

His MOTM was also really hilarious. I'd have chucked it Gray's way. But the comedy of Richards' was pretty good.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:31 pm

philhutchingssaddler wrote: I really thought people who posted on games weren't that thick!

About as thick as 'ex footballers' who think that Mark Wright wasn't going to be playing league football 3 more years after (and counting) they said he wouldn't and as thick as 'ex footballers' who think that our highest contributer to this season is rubbish???????

Got my £50 bet dodger?

Footballers are so thick

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:36 pm

saddlerken wrote:
philhutchingssaddler wrote: I really thought people who posted on games weren't that thick!

About as thick as 'ex footballers' who think that Mark Wright wasn't going to be playing league football 3 more years after (and counting) they said he wouldn't and as thick as 'ex footballers' who think that our highest contributer to this season is rubbish???????

Got my £50 bet dodger?

Footballers are so thick

I suppose you could count him as a thick footballer. I mean, he has played at the highest level.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:18 pm

philthesaddler wrote:I really thought people who posted on games weren't that thick!

Sorry, of the many things I am, thick is certainly one of them.
xx

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:58 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

He made one mistake in 90 minutes, Phil. He deserves criticism for that, but at least counter-balanced things with a goal. The rest of his performance, bar that instance in the first half was as good as we should expect from a midfielder at this level.

Rather than moan about people giving plaudits to Richards, why don't you ask yourself why the likes of Smith and Lescott deserve to get away with consistently weak performances that nobody seems willing to comment on?

Richards isn't a world beater and the first goal yesterday was his fault. But if you think he's our main concern, take a look at some of the players around him.
Last edited by WFC_Rob on Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:58 pm

yesterday someone sitting near the dugout heared the manager saying richards is letting the game pass him by
interesting how the manager as a totaly different view than some of us

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:02 pm

morethanuknow wrote:yesterday someone sitting near the dugout heared the manager saying richards is letting the game pass him by
interesting how the manager as a totaly different view than some of us

I'm surprised someone would have heard that unless he was talking to them directly.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:24 pm

Given that Phil often posts good, sensible material, either this Richards stuff is one big wind up, or that Phil is a secret Yorkshireman who is unable to admit that he could be wrong :)

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:34 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
saddlerken wrote:

Got my £50 bet dodger?

Footballers are so thick

I suppose you could count him as a thick footballer. I mean, he has played at the highest level.

Speaking as an ex footballer [I retired last year for the second time] I must leap to the defence of PhilHutchin's. I think it is now obvious that his judgements cannot be questioned on matters relating to message board football analysis, anyone with half a brain would realise that during his long career in the professional game there must have been times when he was right and I think he should be given the chance to highlight those occasions on this forum. Just because he was wrong about Mark Wright and Matt Richards doesn't mean he hasn't got the right to justify why he hasn't paid Saddlerken the £50 he owes him and explain why he thinks Richard Taundrey is more creative, hasn't scored more goals, made more succesful passes, received the ball more times and lost the ball fewer times than Matt Richards. I would like to help Phil by starting a positive list of skills that Taundrey has starting with:- He's very good at looking at someone in a funny way, he's got more hair, he's a local lad, he tries very hard, he's very good at watching opposition players go about their business...................I happen to think his best position in this current Walsall team is at full back :idea:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:44 pm

Pedro wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Pedro wrote:Thought the lads did well today even though we lost, looked a much improved team.

Yes, very much improved after conceding 4 goals. :roll:

What would you know armchair fan.

I know that we conceded 9 goals in 3 games.
You dont need to go to matches in order to realise we have a hopeless defence that in the end will get us relegated!
Keep clapping though Pedro :wink:

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:50 pm

Did you go to Walsall vs Sheff Wed at there place?

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:52 pm

moanin old git wrote:After reading five pages above, certain things stand out that worry me...why do all our cast off's seem to do soooo well at thier new clubs...did anyone see Ibhere's display? and Mattis is the kingpin of Chesterfields promotion push!
And, we appear to be appointing a failure to manage us in our 4th Division campaign, why? I bet he's cheap.

I've asked the same question many a time MOG.

Perhaps when they sign for new clubs, they see organisation, and more Importantly, ambition

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:53 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:Did you go to Walsall vs Sheff Wed at there place?

I did indeed!

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:54 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

I did indeed!

Jesus christ! Bet that was a new experience for you

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:57 pm

swiftyboy wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

Quite clearly being a stayaway still gives you access to talk about players as if you've seen them every week.

There are people who THINK they know about football and there are people who don't even watch and still THINK they know.

*I think the Sheff random word capitalisation is catching.

Er, no. I go from official match reports, and from several personal friends who do still attend. One if which is an ex pro, and has much the same type if thing to say as Phil does. A player that people on here seem to cream their pants over that he has scored a few goals. Apparently, he doesn't do much else, but I have no reason to believe otherwise until I see it myself.

Thing is, it's the usual suspects that slate Phil everytime he mentions Richards, just as it's the same suspects that slate me everytime I slate Bonser, even though it's deserved?

See a pattern at all? Probably not

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:58 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

I did indeed!

It was free, and it was a good job, we were useless that night as well.
Not all lemmings like you! :lol:

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:22 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

I did indeed!

It was free, and it was a good job, we were useless that night as well.
Not all lemmings like you! :lol:

Yeh , terrible thing to actually go out in the cold and support your club through thick and thin. Real fans , the ones I genuinely admire, are the ones who really go out of their way and dedicate the odd 5 minutes here and there to criticize and belittle whilst surfing the net in the warmth of their own homes . That's dedication. When things pick up and we have a good season , you wait to see some of those who actually go to the games become glory hunters and try to log on here to post .

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:29 pm

MILO5 wrote:
Yeh , terrible thing to actually go out in the cold and support your club through thick and thin. Real fans , the ones I genuinely admire, are the ones who really go out of their way and dedicate the odd 5 minutes here and there to criticize and belittle whilst surfing the net in the warmth of their own homes . That's dedication. When things pick up and we have a good season , you wait to see some of those who actually go to the games become glory hunters and try to log on here to post .

:lol:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:44 pm

swiftyboy wrote:Thing is, it's the usual suspects that slate Phil everytime he mentions Richards, just as it's the same suspects that slate me everytime I slate Bonser, even though it's deserved?

You don't seem to have grasped subjectivity, swiftyboy.
We're casting respective opinions on this board. Whether those be based upon a player's performance on a Saturday afternoon, or a chariman's day-to-day running of the club, there's no way to objectively assess those performances.

You tagging '...even though it's deserved' onto the end of one of your Bonser rants makes it no more valid than someone who argues that Bonser is our saviour.

I think Matt Richards is a good player because, in my opinion, the positive elements of his performances outweigh the negatives. Phil happens to think that Richards is poor, which is fine. What frustrates people is the manner in which Phil's assessments seem to nit-pick minor faults whilst ignoring any undoubted positive contributions.

Opinions, opinions, opinions.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:55 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:Thing is, it's the usual suspects that slate Phil everytime he mentions Richards, just as it's the same suspects that slate me everytime I slate Bonser, even though it's deserved?

We're casting respective opinions on this board. Whether those be based upon a player's performance on a Saturday afternoon, or a chariman's day-to-day running of the club, there's no way to objectively assess those performances.

You tagging '...even though it's deserved' onto the end of one of your Bonser rants makes it no more valid than someone who argues that Bonser is our saviour.

I think Matt Richards is a good player because, in my opinion, the positive elements of his performances outweigh the negatives. Phil happens to think that Richards is poor, which is fine. What frustrates people is the manner in which Phil's assessments seem to nit-pick minor faults whilst ignoring any undoubted positive contributions.

Phil's opinion is more valid than anybody else's due to the fact he has played and managed at the highest level.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:08 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

Phil's opinion is more valid than anybody else's due to the fact he has played and managed at the highest level.

I would support Rob's point of view, but I'm too thick to make a valid comment, so I'm going to sit this one out.

Yours with academic and footballing ineptness,

Jorge14 BA (Hons) MA Dunelm

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:19 pm

You aren't thick. You're just not at Phil's level. Don't be blue and don't wait for a reply from the man himself.

I hear he's next in line for the England job when he finishes rewriting the Origin of Species.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:39 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:You aren't thick. You're just not at Phil's level. Don't be blue and don't wait for a reply from the man himself.

I hear he's next in line for the England job when he finishes rewriting the Origin of Species.

Now I know why it is called Doctor of Philosophy.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:51 pm

Jorge14 wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:You aren't thick. You're just not at Phil's level. Don't be blue and don't wait for a reply from the man himself.

Now I know why it is called Doctor of Philosophy.

Well how the hell can you say he had a "neat and tidy game" when he was responsible for the first and critical goal that we conceded? It simply doesnt make sense, so yes, it is a sign of being thick.

And Gary, if you can't see how much of a liability he is to the team - you're also thick!

The last 3 games he's had two assists (for the opposition) and one own goal. We'd be far, far better off without such a defensive liability in midfield.

This team needs to sort out it's defending first and foremost, so it's absolutely worthless having a player like Matt Richards who may well score 6 or 7 free kicks a season but is absolutely useless at doing the basic midfield stuff like not giving the ball away in his own sodding half.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season