Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 8/1/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Tranmere Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 8/1/11.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:12 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Absolutley useless result. And some people are happy with it? Get a life.
And some people need to wait and see report from someone who went to match? Why?
Tranmere have lost more at home bar 1 club (us).
And we get a pathetic draw against them.
We are down. Face the facts.
We need to win away games to survive and I am afraid if we cant beat Tranmere away (conceding 3 goals in the process) we wont be any teams away, if any.

Pish and tish. 2 goals in the last 5 minutes is something to build on! We are not going for the title (like chelski were), this is a relegation battle and any kind of form can result in real hope over the next few weeks. This is a good start!

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:20 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Absolutley useless result. And some people are happy with it? Get a life.
And some people need to wait and see report from someone who went to match? Why?
We need to win away games to survive and I am afraid if we cant beat Tranmere away (conceding 3 goals in the process) we wont be any teams away, if any.

conceeding 3 goals is dissapointing, but i would like to know if we were more clued up in having a game plan, and how commited players were, if your not interested in a match report fair enough but i am.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:23 pm

brummie saddler wrote:

conceeding 3 goals is dissapointing, but i would like to know if we were more clued up in having a game plan, and how commited players were, if your not interested in a match report fair enough but i am.

He wasn't there, he was watching Chelsea TV's telethon, since Roman refused to stick more cash in. I hear that Frank Lebouef sat in a bath full of custard all day for £3.

Walsall_fan1992
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:23 pm

brummie saddler wrote:

Intrestingly, the front two changed so many times over the game it was unreal. Jones, Macken to start. Then Macken, Nicholls. Macken, Paterson and finally Macken, Grigg which was the best.

Made the correct substitutions as Jones wasn't really in the game and Paterson was looking promising but no end product.

As soon as the players believed in themselves it was just amazing to watch us attack with such a threat to the opposition.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:37 pm

Walsall_fan1992 wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:

Intrestingly, the front two changed so many times over the game it was unreal. Jones, Macken to start. Then Macken, Nicholls. Macken, Paterson and finally Macken, Grigg which was the best.

Made the correct substitutions as Jones wasn't really in the game and Paterson was looking promising but no end product.

As soon as the players believed in themselves it was just amazing to watch us attack with such a threat to the opposition.

sounds positive, good use of subtitutions, not afraid to change the team around, will only mean more chance of success, hutchings would never have the balls or brain to see a fault(firstly) and change it (secondly)

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:40 pm

Walsall_fan1992 wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:

interesting - in Byfields self-imposed absence(?), I'd have thought that Macken and Griggs might be our best combo up front. They might not score bags, but they seem to be the sort of players who could create something together.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Well certainly did not see that comeback coming!! :D An interesting selection that at least offered the potential for something different. Glad to see Bevan get his chance at last and he did well.

Started off ok, some neat passing stuff without looking like achieving much, like we have see an a (very) few occasions under Hutchings. After Richards goal they came at us but were lucky to go in 2-1 up. Thought Bevan might have done more with their freekick but that would be my only slight criticism of him. Lord knows why Hutchings kept persevering with Brain and refused to give Bevan a chance. Once we went behind heads went down and was no surprise when they went 3-1 up. They looked like they thought they had won it and were just playing out time. Rather lucky goal from Macken to get us back into it and from 86 minutes onwards it was all Saddlers :D

Looked like final throw of dice when ball launched into the area but Butler came flying in and que pandamonium in the away end :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

One of their stewards was a complete tool and basically should have been nicked. After equalising in the 94th minute at our end the players naturally came to the Walsall fans and some Walsall fans ran down to them. A few of the stewards were trying to gently nudge our players away, fair enough, but this one tool appeared to be pushing at Butler and more or less offering him out. I thought Butler was going to lamp him! A few Saddlers, me included, started to tell the steward what we thought of him and he was basically saying he would take his coat off and take on all comers! The other stewards were fine, and hopefully the head stewards have seen enough to sack the tool.

A fantastic end to what looked like being like so many other away matches this season. Was pleased with Bevan he looked like he could command his box and actually talked to defenders. Certainly inspired more confidence than Brain does. Thought Butler did well talking to him alot. Lescott was hopeless in possession, he can't pass water never mind a football. Marshall was totally anonymous apart from one blistering volley in the closing stages. Some of Marshall's corners were shocking. What is the point aiming beyond the back post leaving Matt Richards (3 foot 2) challenging Showunmi (8 foot 5)?

Jones was shocking and should be ashamed of that perforance. So much talent, but did not look interested. Nicholls was useless. I really have lost any hope of him being anything more than a decent conference player. Macken should be giving us more, though he did get the goal to bring us back into it. I was impressed with Paterson, he at least took players on, though his final ball was lacking on occasions. He ran at them and caused them problems, which is a lot more than Jones did. Jones really needs to look at himself. Richards was just Richards, always looked for the ball, sometimes used it well, sometimes less so.

Not sure if we would have come back against a decent team. They are a poor team who thought the match was won, more fool them :lol: Still at the end it was fantastic. Still think we need someone to come in from outside to shake a number of these players out of their comfort zone. Agree that it was good to see Taundry in the away end, and also that we are unlikely to see our twittering captain in there anytime soon. But credit where it's due, we got a point when all seemed completely lost. Not sure if it does us much good in terms of staying up

I also can't understand why MMF has got an avatar of their keeper Warner :lol:

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:52 pm

Also agree it was good to see some fluidity in where players were playing and some substitutions and tactical changes that actually made a difference, well done Deano :D

Walsall_fan1992
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:53 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:Well certainly did not see that comeback coming!! :D An interesting selection that at least offered the potential for something different. Glad to see Bevan get his chance at last and he did well.

Thought Bevan might have done more with their freekick but that would be my only slight criticism of him. Lord knows why Hutchings kept persevering with Brain and refused to give Bevan a chance.

Was funny when he came out well and punched away a corner and the whole away end shouted to Johnny Brain "Are you watching? Are you watching? Are you watching Johnny Brain?!" :D

Not the best way to boost confidence but agreed, why Bevan was never given a chance is beyond me.

HKSaddler
the "fececious" one

Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:55 pm

@ sheff: I don't think people are ecstatic with a draw, just that the team fought back from 2 goals down with 5 minutes to play. 4 days after the sacking of Hutchinson, and at least some fighting spirit was apparent, if nothing else.

Sorry for the FB addition, but it wasn't clear what I was talking about.

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:01 pm

i thought we scored off one of marshalls corners today richards goal

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:04 pm

1 point away from home in our climate is wonderful to me anyway

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:09 pm

Walsall_fan1992 wrote:Unbelievable! :shock: Just got back as I live in liverpool and I am in shock. 3-1 down and out and we just start passing the ball on the floor, calm with nothing to lose and the belief just gradually came. Macken scores a lucky goal and the fans were just sucking the ball in behind that goal, marshall had a great volley saved. I thought that was it but then up pops butler, Que pandaemonium!

Couple of points, Was impressed with Bevan apart from his kicking, he seems to be a very good communicator with his defence.

Lescott is still awful. Macken and Grigg played very well together in the last 10 minutes, everything seemed to stick.

Really enjoyed the atmosphere even when 3-1 down, kept behind the lads all the way through, kept singing and once we believed we could get that 3rd we were just sucking the ball in.

Overall a promising performance but wish we wouldn't have let our heads drop when we conceded that 1st goal.

Taundry in the stands also was pleasing to see, shame our club captain wasn't around as well. Arsenal were playing.

UTS!

Whilst we were a bit unlucky with the own goal, and their 3rd when Butler was down injured, apart from the last 10 mins we were crap!

We were trying hoofball against a big, physical Tranmere side, and I don't think the players knew where they were supposed to be (Variously Nicholls, Paterson, Jones and Grigg were playing the wings).

However, when Gray came on we became more balanced, with Nicholls back on the right and Grigg up front with Macken, this, combined with a change to playing along the ground seemed to work wonders and the lucky 2nd goal gave us a real lift, and you always knew the 3rd was coming. Richards could even have won it in the dying seconds.

As for the team:

Bevan: Looked much more solid than Brain (that said, so does a paper bag), couldn't really do much for the 3 goals, but could do with a bit of work on his kicking. Also has a lovely beard.
Westlake: Got turned a few times but got a few tackles in.
Lescott: Sunday League footballer
Smith: Managed to keep Showumni fairly shackled.
Butler: Distribution was a bit patchy but showed some class
Paterson: Seemed to be playing on the left at first, which really didn't suit him, switched to the right which didn't either. Tried to take on his man and failed most of the time - needs to be judged in his proper position though.
Jones: Ineffective
Marshall: Poor at taking corners, sweet shot as we pushed for the equaliser which was well saved by Warner, but didn't look up to it.
Richards: MOTM; Industrious, took his goal well, maybe wouldn't have scored the OG if he had hair on his slap bonce.
Nicholls: Fairly anonymous, tried a couple of shots but not much else.
Macken: Had no chance with the hoofs played to him against Goodison, much better when Goodison went off - he held the ball up much better when passed to feet.

Subs:

Grigg: Looks promising, showed some good touches.
Gray: Balanced the midfield out.

Lets hope the change of play in the last 10 mins, and confidence it created can be carried over to Tuesday. We can play well when passing it around (we seemed to control the ball much better too) and we have a keeper we can be more confident in, however unless we start getting wins it may be too little, too late.

Lone Striker

Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:17 pm

if you had offered a point before the game I think I would have taken it, so as ever an away point is just about okay and it could have been worse. We started okay more than holding our own and Macken and Jones up front holding the ball up and looking a bit of a threat, also evident was the switching of players positionally with Nicholls and Patterson both having spells up front with Jones filling in the wide positions, something that we have rarely tried before. Disappointment was that after going one up we went really into our shell and for the next 30 minutes allowed them to dictate the play resulting in us going 3-1 down. Got the feeling that they thought the game was won at this point and that allowed us to gain some momentum and along with the introduction of Grigg who ran at their defence we got on the front foot and the last 15 minutes was one way traffic towards their goal. A lucky deflected goal, and a quality cross from Macken on to Butler's head gave us the point that we just about deserved.

Big positive was the never say die attitude of the players, and got the feeling that there was a togetherness about the squad that allowed us to keep going to the end.

Don't get to carried away by this though, the same weakness's exist in the team and we did get away with it today, when against a team slightly better we would not have. Brain looked okay in goal and did have a presence and looked to command his area, he could do nothing about any of the goals and his performance does confirm the feeling that he should have started earlier in the season, kicking not great but generally okay. Both full backs really struggled defensively, but Westlake did get forward lots in the last 15 and looked a threat. Butler okay at centre half and Smith looked rusty and struggled against Showumni as he always does. In the wide areas we were totally ineffective, Patterson looked lively and hopefully has a bright future but not in a struggling side, looks lightweight and easily dispossed but not going to be critical of his performance coming into this current side. Nicholls was totally anonymous in whatever position he played in, but there again that has been the same for a while now.

Something to build on and the improved spirit will help in the short term but without bringing in some quality we will struggle to close the gap to sides above us. MOM for me Butler for overall performance capped with a goal, Richards and Marshall kept going in the middle of midfield without ever dominating and Macken always trying to hold the ball up.

Onwards to Bristol on Tuesday evening

PT
Site Addict

Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:18 pm

Weird game. One of those days when was was going on in the players heads seemed nearly as relevant as what they were doing with their heads. After scoring we got deeper and deeper and conceded two goals at the death in the first half. They then do exactly the same in the second. A sign of two struggling teams. They should've been out of sight but they couldn't get the 4th and we started to believe as their belief ebbed away.

The half-time guttedness turned into full-time ecstasy and I can only imagine what would have happened if we'd grabbed a winner. Macken and Jones need to look at their respective contributions whilst Richards continued to be an enigma. Took his goal well and then did well to track his man back deep into our box but then did a Richards/Nicholls/Jones in the air challenge on him. The Richards/Nicholls/Jones in the air challenge is the one where the protagonist definitely will not suffer a nasty clash of heads which seems to be the only reason why you would challenge for a ball in the air whilst turning your back on it and ducking to a variable degree. This means that if the ball by some fluke does come into contact with your head, you have no idea where it will go and on this instance it went right into the corner of our net. Some would say unlucky, I'd say that it's you job in that instance to clear the ball with your head and if that sometimes means putting it in the way of danger then so be it.

Bevan did OK with his hands but his kicking is awful, on another day it would have cost us. What does Mick Kearns do with our keepers? And if Jimmy is to be retained it needs to be on the basis that he trains with us rather than Spurs so that he can help Mick out with his two young charges.

We needed to win today to get ourselves in with a slight chance, it didn't happen but we showed some spirit and some fight and when you support a club who you don't expect to have a stream of season upon season silverware to show off, then all we really ask is spirit,fight and pride. And if Dean Smith delivers on those three things but in the final reckoning that wasn't enough then he'll have at least restored something that went missing a long time ago under CH and perhaps gives us a better springboard for a quick return.

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:18 pm

the red prince
on saddlers player it said we scored off marshalls corner. richards goal did we or didnt we

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:25 pm

First time i've walked out of a football ground with a buzz since Wycombe away last season. Totally deserved equaliser and the scenes in the away end we're too funny to communicate, it was pandemonium of the highest order. Thought they we're very lucky to be going in at the break 2-1, free kick and a very unlucky own goal (nothing could have been done about it). Straight after half time they we're on top and scored a 3rd from a nice move, despite Butler laying on the floor injured for a good 15 seconds.

Thereafter for the last 15 minutes we pinned them in and could have equalised through a rocket volley from Marshall that was somehow kept out at the near post. Richards did very well for the 2nd goal, good run, and a perfectly picked pass to Macken. Nice header from Butler who was our best player again on the day and deserves his captaincy. I also thought he was going to deck the steward, funny stuff, you could see how much he loved getting the equaliser.

As for individual performances. Macken had by far his worst game, isolated and couldn't physically control the ball for 85 minutes, he even got a tad lucky with his goal (took a deflection). Lescott is a pathetic excuse for a footballer. Marshall can't control, pass or cross a football and the game seemingly passes him by. The rest we're okay. With Bevan, Patterson, Richards and Butler taking the main praise. Bevan, bar a couple of wonky kicks, was excellent and made a couple of vital saves in the second half as they were on top. Why on earth that muppet kept playing Brain, i'll never no - a million times better. Patterson looked one for the future, although if he kept things simple he'd have been much more effective. Richards got another goal and an assist, prooving why he's still our best natural footballing brain. Butler was fairly good at the back and certainly the most solid of any defensive player on the pitch, his commitment and passion are something we'l certainly be needing throughout the rest of the season - i like him.

Nice to see Smith has a pair, dropping Brain and Gray was exactly the message that needed sending.

Important game Tuesday, UTS. :D

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:42 pm

We've clearly still got a huge fight on our hands even to stand an outside chance of avoiding relegation - odds on we are probably down already. But... as one astute poster suggested above, its all about what is going on in the players heads. This result should give them a little bit of belief, and with that will not only come commitment, but also confidence - and thus if they can keep this going, we may at least see some steady improvement, some fight, and a team a few more of us want to get out and support - even if in the end we all go down together, fighting the inevitable. Yes, we need reinforcements, yes, we need to get rid of some of the crud left by the previous regime, but at least this is a little move in the right direction, and can, if nothing else, begin to build the nucleus of a young team which can begin a fight back in L2 next season, with a motivated crowd behind them. Dean was a tough, no nonsense, spirited defender in his day - if he can inspire a similar stubbornness in this team, that will be useful - even if ultimately someone else picks up the baton and he returns to the valuable job of developing our youngsters.

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:55 pm

morethanuknow wrote:the red prince
on saddlers player it said we scored off marshalls corner. richards goal did we or didnt we

After the ball had bounced around the box of a few players it found it's way out to him.

Almost every other corner was over-hit.

huddle

Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:11 pm

I wouldn't get too excited lads.Both teams were shocking and will be playing each other in Division 2 next year. Walsall's defence was a shambles but for some reason,Tranmere sat on the 3-1 lead rather than try and score more and allowed you to attack.Another few minutes and you'd have won.The Tranmere manager Parry was like a motionless zombie during the last part of the match when he should have been barking instructions to get the ball up the other end of the field-you're welcome to him if you're after a new manager.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:53 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:

Pish and tish. 2 goals in the last 5 minutes is something to build on! We are not going for the title (like chelski were), this is a relegation battle and any kind of form can result in real hope over the next few weeks. This is a good start!

No, it is not a good start. 1 point against a team who have lost the second most matches at home!
And we managed to concede 3 goals in the process.
LAUGHABLE!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:02 am

Sheff you only "support" Walsall FC when there is something to talk about.

Im happy with the fightback, not the result.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:20 am

latviancheese wrote:Sheff you only "support" Walsall FC when there is something to talk about.

Im happy with the fightback, not the result.

I have supported Walsall for 30 years, so please do not question my support.
I never question yours, so whats you problem?

Because I have a different opinion on todays result than you?

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:28 am

Well, we were awful for 80 minutes today, then started playing when it seemed all over.

Bevan - did well i thought, came for crosses, talked to his defenders etc. Kick ing is awful but apart from that he did ok.
Westlake - did well going foward in the last half hour, bit anonymous when defending.
Smith - did ok against showunmi
Butler - our best player today, got his head to everything he should have done, talked to the other defenders, great goal, and as someone else said, showed passion that we need right now. For their third goal he was flat out for about a minute before it, and they scored just as he was getting up.
Lescott - possibly the worst player i've seen playing for Walsall.
Jones - anonymous
Marshall - didnt really notice he was playing until he clumsily jumped into their player to give them the free kick just before half time. great volley though just before we equalised, really unlocky not to score.
Richards - did quite well compared to a lot of the rest of the team. Took his goal well, stepped it up in the last 15.
Paterson - i though he was a striker but he seemed to be playing left wing? did ok on a few occasions in the second half running at them, but apart from that lost it a lot, and couldnt tackle when he was back defending.
Nicholls - anonymous really
Macken - thought he held the ball up well on occasion, and as with Richards, stepped it up in the last 15. Nice lucky deflection for his goal, but they all count :D

Gray - only touched it a few times as far as i can remember
Grigg - looked a tidy player. did well running at the defenders and linked up well with Macken towards the end.

Great last 15 minutes or so, i was there with a friend of mine (wolves fan), he went crazy when we equalised! :mrgreen: It would have being amazing if we'd have won it with the shot in the last few seconds, but it wasnt a clear opportunity so you cant blame Richards for not scoring there.

PS - to the man sat infront of me - stop moaning about anything and everything. He complained when a player didnt shoot from 5 yards into their half and instead tried to pass it, when it would have being stupid to shoot. And also moaned about Richards' goal, claiming it me must have deflected in and said it was very lucky. Why go to a match if your going to sit their moaning every 30 seconds, you surely didnt go there expecting us to play like world beaters.

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:48 am

At the end of the day last season i wouldn't have taken the point because we were a better team then but for the lads to finally show a bit of fight is more than 1 or 3 points to me because that's exactly what we will need to stay up.

Well Done Dean Smith and the lads keep it up.

UTS!!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:33 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

No, it is not a good start. 1 point against a team who have lost the second most matches at home!
And we managed to concede 3 goals in the process.
LAUGHABLE!

Tish and pish x2

Why not read what has been written instead of jumping in with ill conceived and poorly executed opinionated babble?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:39 am

Content of Sheff's posts:

Anger, anger, anger
Something to go against another's opinion.
CAPITAL LETTERS!

or...

Avoiding the point entirely.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

huddle

Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:01 am

cumbria-saddler wrote:Well, we were awful for 80 minutes today, then started playing when it seemed all over.

Correct-and against any other team,it would have been over. As I said before,these teams will be playing each other in Division 2 next season-they truly are that bad.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:20 am

huddle wrote:
cumbria-saddler wrote:Well, we were awful for 80 minutes today, then started playing when it seemed all over.

Correct-and against any other team,it would have been over. As I said before,these teams will be playing each other in Division 2 next season-they truly are that bad.

Can't argue with that Huddle. Don't think you will find many comments on here from those who were there who have said otherwise on this thread. Still the last 5 minutes was the highlight of the season for me so far :D

I said in my initial post on here that your lot sat back and thought they had won it. Your manager should be going beserk at throwing away 2 points like that

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:32 am

Fantastic to see at last the team show some spirit and fight to come back from 3-1 , that wouldn't have happened under Hutchings .

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season